The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

Demko didn't look as good as he did against Canada, but then again, the entire American team didn't. He still looked pretty good though. You can see he has a lot of natural talent, and he definitely reminds me of Schneider and most new age goalies where his game is quite robotic most of the time (which I think is good).

The reffing was disgusting though. The Russian's got away with way too much flopping and dirty play.

• Upvote 2

Hopefully it doesn't even last until 2017.

That's been my only hope since we signed Miller. I don't mind the signing, I just mind the term with all the younger talent we have in goal.

Demko looked like he was trying to get out of a few spots with his athleticism, and if he's able to do that without getting into too much trouble then I'm all for it. He can certainly play the positional game pretty well and cover a little with his long legs and big body, he'll just have to be smart about it.

EDIT: reading some of the earlier comments, figured I should add that I didn't think he was the problem at all in today's game. Some bad deflections and all that, but sometimes when you get a goalie on his game he's in the way of even those. He wasn't the goalie to change the game for his team.

Edited by elvis15

Well, assuming he finishes his 4 years, we won't be able to dress him in a lineup until 2017.

Most high NCAA picks don't go all 4. I see him at BC for one year more after this, unless the AHL goalie situation is cleared out for him to join next season

Most high NCAA picks don't go all 4. I see him at BC for one year more after this, unless the AHL goalie situation is cleared out for him to join next season

I see. Sadly, I don't have a very good grasp of the NCAA or college sports in general. I knew that many students don't finish all 4 years but I thought maybe it was a little different for goalies.

I see. Sadly, I don't have a very good grasp of the NCAA or college sports in general. I knew that many students don't finish all 4 years but I thought maybe it was a little different for goalies.

One thing that worries me is whether Demko will sign with the Canucks at all. With NCAA players the NHL team that drafts them has up until 30 days after the player "leaves school" to sign them. If they are are over 20 at that time they can sign with any team after the 30 days are over (although they must still sign an entry level contract).

Usually they sign before that (and there are strong financial incentives to do so), but if Demko wants to stay at Boston College (BC) and graduate there, that will take 2 more years after this year. He will be over 20 at that time and could sign with any team.

I hope that he makes this season his last season playing for BC instead. He would then need to sign with the Canucks. He can then get the surgery he needs (paid for by the Canucks), missing most the 2015-16 season. He can continue to go to school at Boston College get his degree and be ready to play in the AHL in 2016-17. That is probably the best case for the Canucks.

Edited by JamesB

One thing that worries me is whether Demko will sign with the Canucks at all. With NCAA players the NHL team that drafts them has up until 30 days after the player "leaves school" to sign them. If they are are over 20 at that time they can sign with any team after the 30 days are over (although they must still sign an entry level contract).

Usually they sign before that (and there are strong financial incentives to do so), but if Demko wants to stay at Boston College (BC) and graduate there, that will take 2 more years after this year. He will be over 20 at that time and could sign with any team.

I hope that he makes this season his last season playing for BC instead. He would then need to sign with the Canucks. He can then get the surgery he needs (paid for by the Canucks), missing most the 2015-16 season. He can continue to go to school at Boston College get his degree and be ready to play in the AHL in 2016-17. That is probably the best case for the Canucks.

My reading of the CBA is somewhat different. The rules were changed a bit in the most recent collective bargaining agreement.

Demko started college in 2013 and was drafted at the age of 18 in June, 2014, though he'd turn 19 before the end of 2014.

The relevant paragraph if he stays with his graduating class is 8.6(c )(i) which would give the Canucks his rights until August 15, 2017, when his college class graduates. Accordingly, if he stays in school until his class graduates in 2017, he could become a free agent by refusing to sign with the Canucks before August 15, 2017.

However, the situation you describe is him leaving school. The relevant paragraph appears to me to be 8.6(c )(ii) which reads:

If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time
of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide college student
prior to the first June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, and does
not remain a bona fide college student through the graduation of his
college class, his drafting Club shall retain exclusive rights for the
negotiation of his services until the later of: (a) the fourth June 1 following
his selection in the Entry Draft, or ( B) thirty (30) days after NHL Central
Registry receives notice that the Player is no longer a bona fide college
student; provided that if the Player ceases to be a bona fide college student
on or after January 1 of an academic year and the Player: (1) is in his
fourth year of college and has commenced his fourth year of NCAA
eligibility, or (2) is in his fourth year of college and is scheduled to
graduate from college at the end of his fourth year, then in the
circumstances described in (1) or (2), the Club shall retain the exclusive
right of negotiation for such Player's services through and including the
August 15 following the date on which he ceases to be a bona fide college
student. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to retain such rights.
_________
So, typically if he were to leave school the Canucks would keep his rights until the later of June 1, 2018 and the day which is 30 days after the NHL receives notice he's left college. Effectively this means they'd keep his rights until June 1, 2018 if he left school, unless the notice he'd left school was received after January 1, 2017 in which case the Canucks would only keep his rights through August 15, 2017-the same as if he stayed in school.
Edited by tyhee
  • Upvote 1

Straight out comments from American fans, they thought if it was not for demko would have been a blow out for the Russians.

Btw does demko remind anyone of J S gigure ?.

no, Demko looks actually skilled and not reliant on ridiculously oversized pads to make stops. plus he's very technical (i guess that happens when you have to teach yourself goaltending by downloading training vids from the internet) whereas Giguere was all over the place.

Edited by avelanch

My reading of the CBA is somewhat different. The rules were changed a bit in the most recent collective bargaining agreement.

Demko started college in 2013 and was drafted at the age of 18 in June, 2014, though he'd turn 19 before the end of 2014.

The relevant paragraph if he stays with his graduating class is 8.6(c )(i) which would give the Canucks his rights until August 15, 2017, when his college class graduates. Accordingly, if he stays in school until his class graduates in 2017, he could become a free agent by refusing to sign with the Canucks before August 15, 2017.

However, the situation you describe is him leaving school. The relevant paragraph appears to me to be 8.6(c )(ii) which reads:

If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time
of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide college student
prior to the first June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, and does
not remain a bona fide college student through the graduation of his
college class, his drafting Club shall retain exclusive rights for the
negotiation of his services until the later of: (a) the fourth June 1 following
his selection in the Entry Draft, or ( B) thirty (30) days after NHL Central
Registry receives notice that the Player is no longer a bona fide college
student; provided that if the Player ceases to be a bona fide college student
on or after January 1 of an academic year and the Player: (1) is in his
fourth year of college and has commenced his fourth year of NCAA
eligibility, or (2) is in his fourth year of college and is scheduled to
graduate from college at the end of his fourth year, then in the
circumstances described in (1) or (2), the Club shall retain the exclusive
right of negotiation for such Player's services through and including the
August 15 following the date on which he ceases to be a bona fide college
student. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to retain such rights.
_________
So, typically if he were to leave school the Canucks would keep his rights until the later of June 1, 2018 and the day which is 30 days after the NHL receives notice he's left college. Effectively this means they'd keep his rights until June 1, 2018 if he left school, unless the notice he'd left school was received after January 1, 2017 in which case the Canucks would only keep his rights through August 15, 2017-the same as if he stayed in school.

Great response. Thanks very much.