The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

with all the talk of goalies starting out in the pros later i decided to check on what age goalies from the first 2 rounds usually start. i found tbhat majority of them end up in the nhl at the age of 20. price gibson brodour lou jake allen etc i wonder if demko could be ready in a couple of years he was ranked to go in the 1st round rthis year

Is different though. All of Carey Price, Martin Brodeur, John Gibson, Roberto Luongo, and Jake Allen all played in the CHL instead of the NCAA. They usually have a shorter time to climb into the NHL because they finish their junior career at 20. However, Demko is in Boston College, so unless he opts out he should take his time to finish his 4 years in college before going to either the AHL or NHL team.

I'm glad that so many people are agreeing that Demko has a legit chance to be an elite NHL goalie for the Canucks some day. But what excites me the most is reading his Canucks.com blog every day. I think it shows that he is a friendly and easygoing guy.

Also, on his NHL.com blog post he praised the Canucks for signing Miller which shows that he's open to competition and more worried about his own game than the team politics. He's going to be a great teammate in the future! Kinda reminds me of Schneider...

Man he's going to be good. Just the dedication it takes to manage ice time in California, nonetheless get some people to shoot on you. Canadian kids have the option of ice time and a plethora of teams, Cali.. not so much. I think because of this it's put his development a little behind, though it's still damn impressive to be playing in the Frozen Four at 17/18. A little more time and development and I could see him becoming a monster.

Man he's going to be good. Just the dedication it takes to manage ice time in California, nonetheless get some people to shoot on you. Canadian kids have the option of ice time and a plethora of teams, Cali.. not so much. I think because of this it's put his development a little behind, though it's still damn impressive to be playing in the Frozen Four at 17/18. A little more time and development and I could see him becoming a monster.

He accelerated his education to play in the NCAA a year early, and did incredibly well at the level. He is not behind in development at all from what I've seen. Any deficit he may have had from California would have been rectified with his time with the NTDP

Demko was the only 17/18 year old to play in the NCAA just past season. Jack Eichel is going to do the same, basically a player in his draft year playing in the NCAA.

That is quite impressive.

Edited by Plum

Demko was the only 17/18 year old to play in the NCAA just past season. Jack Eichel is going to do the same, basically a player in his draft year playing in the NCAA.

That is quite impressive. Also, Demko will be the goaltender of Eichel's team. It'll be a fun team to watch.

Eichel is going to Boston U, Demko plays for Boston College. Easy to mix up, but they are rivals

• Upvote 1

He accelerated his education to play in the NCAA a year early, and did incredibly well at the level. He is not behind in development at all from what I've seen. Any deficit he may have had from California would have been rectified with his time with the NTDP

I know about his NCAA experience, it was referenced in my post.

Perhaps I didn't articulate it properly, what I meant to say is that his lack of available ice in the off season has been a hindrance to him. That perhaps if he were anywhere North of California he would have more practice of mastering his craft in his youth. I say this only because Demko has said so himself, from various interviews and his blog posts. My thoughts are that despite the uphill battle of learning hockey in California, he's still a very good goalie. Perhaps with more ice and practice comparative to a Canadian kid, he would have been further ahead in his development.

I know about his NCAA experience, it was referenced in my post.

Perhaps I didn't articulate it properly, what I meant to say is that his lack of available ice in the off season has been a hindrance to him. That perhaps if he were anywhere North of California he would have more practice of mastering his craft in his youth. I say this only because Demko has said so himself, from various interviews and his blog posts. My thoughts are that despite the uphill battle of learning hockey in California, he's still a very good goalie. Perhaps with more ice and practice comparative to a Canadian kid, he would have been further ahead in his development.

Alright, I see your point now, and if its true, he absolutely could be a monster with some more seasoning at a top flight team