The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

37 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

I have a feeling we're going to trade him away. I think he wants to play in the NHL, just not for the Canucks, but instead on a team with more russian support like the Caps. 

JB was talking last summer about his group having a plan in place to collect more picks at the coming draft.  I agree that Tryamkin is likely on the trade block.  I'd think Demko is too.  We could get a second for Tree, and a first for Demko.  We're making the playoffs, so that recoups what we are giving to TBay for Miller.  

5 hours ago, Fred65 said:

I watched Rafferty last season straight in from the NCAA and he has "it" his IQ is high ad for a couple of shifts was paired with Hughes, instant understanding. I tend to think Rafferty has a chance to be an above average NHL player. Certainly and interesting prospect to keep and eye on, Tryamkin would be a great addition for the play-offs IMO. he can certainly dish it out as good as any in the NHL

I think Rafferty is pretty much Stecher V2.0 who could be a decent NHLer, but not going to be much more than a bottom pairing guy on a good team and maybe top 4 minutes if injuries arise. Rafferty has the advantage over Stecher because he doesn't command the big bucks right now and unfortunately for Stecher unless he takes a pay cut will likely be gone due to cap space. IMO Tryamkin has more potential than either of those guys, but we won't really know until he gets a shot here again. If he doesn't pan out or doesn't want to be here then Rafferty is good insurance should we decide to move on from Stecher.

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

JB was talking last summer about his group having a plan in place to collect more picks at the coming draft.  I agree that Tryamkin is likely on the trade block.  I'd think Demko is too.  We could get a second for Tree, and a first for Demko.  We're making the playoffs, so that recoups what we are giving to TBay for Miller.  

In 4 years Tryamkin will have hopefully replaced the needs of a Myers, in 2 years Jolevi will have replaced the needs of an Edler..

Woo in 3 years replaces a player like Benn..

and so on.

I highly doubt Benning swaps the potential of players he is grooming for picks Alfvies..

However, I do see him moving older, good playing vets for picks or prospects to teams in need of depth for playoffs or in the thick of their rebuild, like we have this year acquiring JTMiller.
it’s a plan, with a “system”.. and allows you better control of your cap space.

16 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I think Rafferty is pretty much Stecher V2.0 who could be a decent NHLer, but not going to be much more than a bottom pairing guy on a good team and maybe top 4 minutes if injuries arise. Rafferty has the advantage over Stecher because he doesn't command the big bucks right now and unfortunately for Stecher unless he takes a pay cut will likely be gone due to cap space. IMO Tryamkin has more potential than either of those guys, but we won't really know until he gets a shot here again. If he doesn't pan out or doesn't want to be here then Rafferty is good insurance should we decide to move on from Stecher.

Stecher with Rafferty's size would be an impressive player.  Definitely better than a bottom pairing, which he already is. 

Like you pointed out, Try's NHL potential is an uncertainty right now and his reluctance to play on the team (so far) adds to the uncertainties. 

Of course I would love to see Try come over and give it his best shot, but I'm not including him in my dream of PO success until he signs with the team.

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Stecher with Rafferty's size would be an impressive player.  Definitely better than a bottom pairing, which he already is. 

Like you pointed out, Try's NHL potential is an uncertainty right now and his reluctance to play on the team (so far) adds to the uncertainties. 

Of course I would love to see Try come over and give it his best shot, but I'm not including him in my dream of PO success until he signs with the team.

What reluctance? He's honouring his contract. We will see what happens after that, but there are several signs that he's interested in coming back to the NHL. For the Canucks? Who knows but if not then he becomes a valuable trade asset as long as he comes over. I get not counting the chickens until they hatch, but I'm surprised at how some don't even want him here or think he's good enough to even bother giving him a look.

Having Rafferty is the beauty part of it all as he could be good insurance should we move on from Stecher. Just because a player may be an upgrade on Stecher doesn't automatically make them a top 4 dman. Is Stecher the benchmark of the best bottom pairing guys? If Rafferty is good enough to be a top 4 guy though then that's even better for us. Still wouldn't make me not want to see Tryamkin back though. No doubt he has to earn his job and so on, but the potential is certainly there. We may lose both Tanev and Stecher next year for cap reasons as we could replace them maybe with half their amounts with both Tryamkin and Rafferty and depending on how Tryamkin looks, it may not even be a downgrade in quality for a cheaper pricetag.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

What reluctance? He's honouring his contract. We will see what happens after that, but there are several signs that he's interested in coming back to the NHL. For the Canucks? Who knows but if not then he becomes a valuable trade asset as long as he comes over. I get not counting the chickens until they hatch, but I'm surprised at how some don't even want him here or think he's good enough to even bother giving him a look.

He left and we don't know if he will come back.  His value is not clear; especially if he doesn't want to come to Vancouver (makes JB an easy mark in trading his rights).

13 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Having Rafferty is the beauty part of it all as he could be good insurance should we move on from Stecher. Just because a player may be an upgrade on Stecher doesn't automatically make them a top 4 dman. Is Stecher the benchmark of the best bottom pairing guys? If Rafferty is good enough to be a top 4 guy though then that's even better for us. Still wouldn't make me not want to see Tryamkin back though. No doubt he has to earn his job and so on, but the potential is certainly there. We may lose both Tanev and Stecher next year for cap reasons as we could replace them maybe with half their amounts with both Tryamkin and Rafferty and depending on how Tryamkin looks, it may not even be a downgrade in quality for a cheaper pricetag.

I wasn't suggesting that Rafferty is a middle pairing dman.  I was only stating that if Stech had Rafferty's size, he would have the skills, character to become a very effective physical dman.  In that case, Stech would certainly be a middle pairing dman.

I don't know enough about Rafferty to say he plays with the skillset and mindset (of Stecher) that would put him beyond a bottom pairing.

I can't see Try's contract being less than what Stech is getting and may amount to more.  There may be strings attached as well (playing time, no AHL).  Hopefully Try will come over in the Spring and show that he can develop into a middle pairing.

Replacing Tanev will be the highest priority for JB.  The team will need a solid 2nd RD (who can also jump up to the 1st pairing if needed).  That will be very costly in a trade of UFA.  I would be overjoyed if Try could fill that role, but we'll just have to wait and see.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

He left and we don't know if he will come back.  His value is not clear; especially if he doesn't want to come to Vancouver (makes JB an easy mark in trading his rights).

We don't know if he will come back and of course our team doesn't make plans around the fact that he does. But this is why I suggest that Rafferty is good insurance regardless. If he chooses to stay in the KHL, then there is no value. If he chooses to return, then there's nothing indicative of his game to suggest he can't crack our top 6. If he chooses to return, but doesn't want to play here, then there will sure as hell be value for a 6'8 265lb dman that can actually skate well. If teams want to play hard ball with us, then we simply don't move him until we do get what we want as we own his rights for the next little while and we move on to another player.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

I wasn't suggesting that Rafferty is a middle pairing dman.  I was only stating that if Stech had Rafferty's size, he would have the skills, character to become a very effective physical dman.  In that case, Stech would certainly be a middle pairing dman.

I don't know enough about Rafferty to say he plays with the skillset and mindset (of Stecher) that would put him beyond a bottom pairing.

I can't see Try's contract being less than what Stech is getting and may amount to more.  There may be strings attached as well (playing time, no AHL).  Hopefully Try will come over in the Spring and show that he can develop into a middle pairing.

Replacing Tanev will be the highest priority for JB.  The team will need a solid 2nd RD (who can also jump up to the 1st pairing if needed).  That will be very costly in a trade of UFA.  I would be overjoyed if Try could fill that role, but we'll just have to wait and see.

I agree that replacing Tanev is a top priority, but we have limited cap to do so otherwise we would just re-sign Tanev. Tryamkin could be that guy (plays a defensive dman type role now and logs 20+ minutes a night) and if so, then he may as you suggest be around what Stecher's cost. Add in Rafferty into the bottom pairing and it's around half of what Tanev and Stecher make now. It wouldn't be a downgrade IMO (although this is unknown) for a fraction of the cost. If Tryamkin isn't that guy and doesn't return, we may very well have to extend Tanev which puts Stecher as the odd man out regardless and we would need to replace his spot with someone cheaper (this is not a knock on Stecher, but is a much more easily replaceable position).

We will indeed wait and see, but there are some indication that he may indeed return.

On 11/7/2019 at 2:18 PM, aGENT said:

Is that based on his Canucks uni as his instagram avatar or that he regularly follows and comments on Canuck related things?

No, its based off the fact that:

-he left the team to play for the KHL for three years

-he expressed he was unhappy with the team when he left

-he expressed he was unhappy about the marijuana smell of Vancouver

-the lack of effort in learning English

-the only Canuck player he seemed close with, Goldobin, is basically no longer on this team

-there's no other russian presence on this team and

-Benning's admission that he didn't know why he left to the KHL.

But sure, he actually wants to be a Canuck because of his instagram avatar. I hope you're right. 

Edited by AK_19

2 minutes ago, AK_19 said:

No, its based off the fact that he left the team to play for the KHL for three years, he expressed he was unhappy with the team when he left, he expressed he was unhappy about the marijuana smell of Vancouver, the lack of effort in learning English, he seemed to be a good friend of Goldobin who's basically no longer on this team, there's no other russian presence on this team and Benning's admission that he didn't know why he left to the KHL. But sure, he actually wants to be a Canuck because of his instagram avatar. 

well he surely will not like the smell  of marijuana now  that it is legal  in Van  lol

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Here’s some recent facts and reports you’ve missed..

Benning last June met with Nik’s agent Todd Diamond..  JB told him he wants him back. Google the reports yourself.

Diamond told Benning that coming back to the NHL is highly likely.

Tryamkin stated to news sources that if the Canucks need and want him, anything is possible.

He has not changed his Instagram avatar since he left..  it’s been the same pic of him in a Canucks St Patrick’s Jersey for 3 years.

He stated he regularly watches the Canucks games, the time zone favours his ability to watch them in the morning.

Was also reported that the marijuana comment was meant to be humorous..   but to say that it dosent stink is a huge understatement,

I puff from time to time myself,..  I think second hand smoke of any kind can be offensive to others,.  People deserve the right to clean air over “needs”.

Opinions are fine , but when reported facts outweigh opinions,  opinions without facts show a light interest in a topic.

That explains a lot!:wacko:

15 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Here’s some recent facts and reports you’ve missed..

Benning last June met with Nik’s agent Todd Diamond..  JB told him he wants him back. Google the reports yourself.

Diamond told Benning that coming back to the NHL is highly likely.

Tryamkin stated to news sources that if the Canucks need and want him, anything is possible.

He has not changed his Instagram avatar since he left..  it’s been the same pic of him in a Canucks St Patrick’s Jersey for 3 years.

He stated he regularly watches the Canucks games, the time zone favours his ability to watch them in the morning.

Was also reported that the marijuana comment was meant to be humorous..   but to say that it dosent stink is a huge understatement,

I puff from time to time myself,..  I think second hand smoke of any kind can be offensive to others,.  People deserve the right to clean air over “needs”.

Opinions are fine , but when reported facts outweigh opinions,  opinions without facts show a light interest in a topic.

Yeah Sam! we need more that are interested in facts than dreams and speculation. Dreams and speculation serve no purpose!

Not wanting to dis Tanev but the 2nd NJ goal he couldn't clear the guy from the crease. The reason I want Tryamkin back is that he would have, giving Marky a better look. Between Tanev Stech and Hugs we need the extra big body out there to clear the crease. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Not wanting to dis Tanev but the 2nd NJ goal he couldn't clear the guy from the crease. The reason I want Tryamkin back is that he would have, giving Marky a better look. Between Tanev Stech and Hugs we need the extra big body out there to clear the crease. 

And Tryamkin makes guys pay the price for being net front.  When he hits guys, it hurts.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Yeah Sam! we need more that are interested in facts than dreams and speculation. Dreams and speculation serve no purpose!

Ok to dream Fred when the facts are leaning in your favour..

“pragmatistic dreaming” .. a window to manifestation?   Perhaps.

Or opportunities are perhaps simply lining up for Nik’s new destination?

Perhaps he is walking the path of his destiny.

... any one got any zig zags ?!?! ;) 

Edited by SilentSam
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Strength and size is definitely nice

But he will have issues at times like the guys you mention as well, plus he can not be clearing the net every minute of the game, goals will be scored against us with him on and off the ice too

Adding any defenceman who won't cost us any assets and help us will always be a good thing, Hopefully he will be that for us one day