The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

5 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Can't you amazing GMs take it somewhere else?

Or at least contribute something about Tryamkin?

Really. Isn't there a whole section of CDC devoted to silly proposals by armchair GMs with delusions of competence? 

I am as eager to see Tram again as anybody, but before using him to replace our number one defensive Dman, I would want to see how he is looking in a Canucks uniform in 2020.

• Cheers 4

9 hours ago, Outsiders said:

I'm not sure how trading an asset to get one in return is tanking for picks? We aren't packing in the towel if Tanev goes lol. We aren't the Washington Capitals trading Carlson for picks at the deadline. We aren't winning the cup this year, lets give our future players a taste (Rafferty,Juolevi,Tryamkin). We are going to eventually win with them in the lineup not Tanev. Get the asset and hopefully that asset turns into an important piece. Lets try to put together the best team for Petey, Quinn and the team in their prime. Everyone here ripped Benning apart for trading picks all those years and especially giving one up for JT Miller. Now, he's going to trade for one and everyone is like "Jim your acquiring a pick WTF are you doing". Just because we get a pick, doesn't mean he can't use that pick to acquire another player. Picks are so valuable everyone claims. I seriously don't get this fan base. If it doesn't work, what hurt us? The fact we didn't have Tanev for 15 more games before he walks? 

I'm glad it's a foregone conclusion for you that the Cup is out of reach. I guarantee that the players and management do not feel this way.

I agree with putting together the best team, but as they are playing some pretty damn good hockey now, we shouldn't squander our opportunities. Petey and Quinn are on cheap ELCs and are key contributors, you take advantage of this time as well.

15 or so more games plus playoffs potentially. We want to add Tryamkin to this group. Downgrading and going through a month losing a top 4 defender when trying to establish ourselves heading into the playoffs is the wrong mentality to the team and for development. Juolevi is not coming up for Tanev (LD-RD situation), and Rafferty is far step below (taking away our top defensive dman to add a untested player who's biggest deficiency right now is defending). Tryamkin may not even join us this season or join us late and he isn't walking straight into a top 4 role. Having Tanev allows us to see what we have in Tryamkin first and gives us more depth to try and get as far in the playoffs as possible even if we don't win. More games = more experience for the team.

I'm not complaining about the idea of acquiring a pick. It's about downgrading a team when Benning himself has stated he wants to see how this group (which likely includes Tanev) does in the playoffs to make further assessments. Picks are lottery tickets and not all pan out. I could care less how many picks we have as long as the team continues to progress forward and that includes development, which IMO is just as important as the picks themselves.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Body bags are on sale at Wallmart..  bring em to the first round Cy.   ... and then live in hindsight..  

Injuries are injuries..   almost a full season of hockey for Tanev.

so where’s the analytic guys on this one?

This is Tanevs 6th full season of regular hockey with the Canucks, and he has played 406 games of a possible 898 games by the end of this season...  

seems to me the odds are greater than 50% on those numbers alone that he is injured before or in the playoffs..

if he is a great shot blocker,. I’m sure that stat goes up again..    Dejavu all over again.   

Its like when your mum said “don’t touch it it’s hot”,.   and you touch it anyway.    ....and you cry,  wondering why?

I totally get your point but at the end of the day I'd rather keep his experience, leadership, even with the injury risk for a playoff run (get the young guys some experience of what it's gonna be like) then move him for what he would he would fetch on the market. Sutter is in the same boat, I'd rather just keep him regardless of his injury history.

I'm sure this is the same issue JB is having. Id love to see tan man back even tbh.

16 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I'm glad it's a foregone conclusion for you that the Cup is out of reach. I guarantee that the players and management do not feel this way.

I agree with putting together the best team, but as they are playing some pretty damn good hockey now, we shouldn't squander our opportunities. Petey and Quinn are on cheap ELCs and are key contributors, you take advantage of this time as well.

15 or so more games plus playoffs potentially. We want to add Tryamkin to this group. Downgrading and going through a month losing a top 4 defender when trying to establish ourselves heading into the playoffs is the wrong mentality to the team and for development. Juolevi is not coming up for Tanev (LD-RD situation), and Rafferty is far step below (taking away our top defensive dman to add a untested player who's biggest deficiency right now is defending). Tryamkin may not even join us this season or join us late and he isn't walking straight into a top 4 role. Having Tanev allows us to see what we have in Tryamkin first and gives us more depth to try and get as far in the playoffs as possible even if we don't win. More games = more experience for the team.

I'm not complaining about the idea of acquiring a pick. It's about downgrading a team when Benning himself has stated he wants to see how this group (which likely includes Tanev) does in the playoffs to make further assessments. Picks are lottery tickets and not all pan out. I could care less how many picks we have as long as the team continues to progress forward and that includes development, which IMO is just as important as the picks themselves.

Best homer line I've ever seen. I do understand and can see why you want Tanev around. Nobody wants the Canucks to win more than me. We all know it isn't happening this year but playoffs do see likely. I want as Botch said "We need picks, we need prospects, we need players, we need an army" Man I miss Botch.

4 hours ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

I like vodka too?.. what's your point exactly? what are you trying to say? spit it out man!

Have you ever had any fore sight into any situation, based on an experience in hind sight?

Anything reoccur in your life make you say to yourself..  “ I’m not going to do that again”?

Do you need braille Ajax?

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

So the solution is to bring in a 34 year old that played 42 games last season and zero games this season and hasn't skated this year according to reports rather than have a guy who's been healthy this year (knock on wood) has chemistry with the team, has good character and wants to win for this city....

You plan for the best team for the playoffs, you don't concern yourself with potential injuries. Should Pittsburgh be concerned with Crosby's concussion history, or Malkin being injured every year? Now I know you're going to say that Tanev is not at their level and I agree, but the point is Tanev makes our team better when he's in the lineup and that's all that is important especially with us heading potentially into the playoffs, no team downgrades in this situation.

If the opposition wants to focus in on him, then that opens up someone else on the team, let them chase. If Tanev gets hurt, then we have the said depth to cover for him. If it's not Tanev they target, it'll be someone else, like Stecher, should we move him too? Then they'll target Edler, then Hughes, etc.

You assuming I’ve said something in that quote??  ... and your pouring it on with irrelevance... 

where did I say get Byfuglien?

it was an add on inquiry.  
take it for what that was and keep it simple.

I stated Tanev has played less than 50% of the games he could have in his career so far.

why don’t you analyze that?

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Hate to break it to you two but the only way we're trading Tanev, while in a playoff race, is if Benning can somehow orchestrate a miraculous upgrade for a Werenski/Provorov/Parayko type by packaging something like Stecher and Virtanen +. And those types of D don't tend to get traded for 'quantity' packages.

AKA, it's almost certainly, not happening.

That’s your “get out jail free card”. Lol

its hockey,  anything and everything can happen.

We can play without Tanev , pragmatically i cant see us getting past 2 rounds any way..

and those 2 rounds best served to OJ Rafferty 

Breisbous Tryamkin Chatfeild Sautner or someone else ,  I can’t see us bringing someone else off our charts in..

Can anyone else here remember how physical the playoffs are, and were last season in particular?

We don’t have a heavy enough physical team yet to win a cup..  yes anything can happen.

But pragmatically speaking, those bruises won’t heal after 2 rounds.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Best homer line I've ever seen. I do understand and can see why you want Tanev around. Nobody wants the Canucks to win more than me. We all know it isn't happening this year but playoffs do see likely. I want as Botch said "We need picks, we need prospects, we need players, we need an army" Man I miss Botch.

How is that a homer line? You think the players and management are thinking they don't have a chance this year? That's a piss poor mentality. Everyone in the hockey world knows that if you make the playoffs, anything can happen (eg 8th place finishers winning the Cup or going for Cinderella runs, or runaway season leaders Tampa getting swept in the first round). Teams that get knocked out early are the ones that back into the playoffs and a move like trading Tanev with no tangible upgrade is a back in move.

It's funny because we have made our picks counts, we have the deepest prospect pool this team has seen in decades, we have players (Tanev is one, but we want to dump him) and we have a fanbase army for those that support the team. We can't be stuck in the rebuild mentality forever. 

42 minutes ago, cyoung said:

I totally get your point but at the end of the day I'd rather keep his experience, leadership, even with the injury risk for a playoff run (get the young guys some experience of what it's gonna be like) then move him for what he would he would fetch on the market. Sutter is in the same boat, I'd rather just keep him regardless of his injury history.

I'm sure this is the same issue JB is having. Id love to see tan man back even tbh.

Cy,   so your saying to have him for a possible 7 or less games in the first round.

Having him is worth more than a 2nd rnd pick or better next draft or the year after?
I just find that a bitter pill.

11 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

You assuming I’ve said something in that quote??  ... and your pouring it on with irrelevance... 

where did I say get Byfuglien?

take it for what that was and keep it simple.

I stated Tanev has played less than 50% of the games he could have in his career so far.

why don’t you analyze that?

Read the rest of the post past the Byfuglien part for your analysis.

What was the point of bring up Byfuglien in this discussion if not to consider acquiring him? There's a Byfuglien thread if you're more curious about his situation. If you want some relevance if you're not suggesting that we should get him, it's that if a team takes him on for their playoff hopes, then that's one less team looking to add and thus watering down the market for Tanev and therefore and even lesser return which increases his value for us to keep him for at least this playoff drive.

5 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Read the rest of the post past the Byfuglien part for your analysis.

What was the point of bring up Byfuglien in this discussion if not to consider acquiring him? There's a Byfuglien thread if you're more curious about his situation. If you want some relevance if you're not suggesting that we should get him, it's that if a team takes him on for their playoff hopes, then that's one less team looking to add and thus watering down the market for Tanev and therefore and even lesser return which increases his value for us to keep him for at least this playoff drive.

As I stated:

There were a couple of solid posters here who actually answered my question quicker than you.

ill leave you to run with it as always Theo. 
Good luck ! 

9 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

As I stated:

There were a couple of solid posters here who actually answered my question quicker than you.

ill leave you to run with it as always Theo. 
Good luck ! 

chow yun fat yes GIF

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, SilentSam said:
Monday
February 24 2020
NHL trade deadline.

Thursday 
February 27 2020
End of KHL regular
season.

Write it down 
because...,A3185695-024E-4C9A-94B8-885D43740529.thumb.jpeg.761450b7ea0498e516765b70301b09fd.jpeg

end of the regular season is not the end of the season.  I highly, highly doubt Try comes back this season, if he comes back at all.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Outsiders said:

I'm not sure how trading an asset to get one in return is tanking for picks? We aren't packing in the towel if Tanev goes lol. We aren't the Washington Capitals trading Carlson for picks at the deadline. We aren't winning the cup this year, lets give our future players a taste (Rafferty,Juolevi,Tryamkin). We are going to eventually win with them in the lineup not Tanev. Get the asset and hopefully that asset turns into an important piece. Lets try to put together the best team for Petey, Quinn and the team in their prime. Everyone here ripped Benning apart for trading picks all those years and especially giving one up for JT Miller. Now, he's going to trade for one and everyone is like "Jim your acquiring a pick WTF are you doing". Just because we get a pick, doesn't mean he can't use that pick to acquire another player. Picks are so valuable everyone claims. I seriously don't get this fan base. If it doesn't work, what hurt us? The fact we didn't have Tanev for 15 more games before he walks? 

what assets are you getting back?   , not a shot blocking , 1 unit pk and the  best partner for our best defensemen ,  ya trading Tanev is like throwing in the towel  you trading a top 4 dman , no playoff bound team does that lol .  You are saying lets put the best team  together for the core , I guess sitting 2nd in the west isn't good enough lol  ; so JB traded a few picks earlier the  team was in a different place then  ,  ya JB gave up a first for miller  , he addressed a need for a top 6 player  again building a team around the core , I seriously don't get this fan base , we are 2 nd in the west and you want to trade Tanev for a pick ,  so Tanev plays 15 games and plays well in the playoffs  and if it doesn't work , what hurts us hmmm a team friendly deal perhaps.

ya trade Stetcher( get your valuable pick) then you can give guys like rafferty ;juolevi and tryamkin  a taste  ,  that makes way more sense than trading Tanev  at his time ,    so tell me what you would expect back if Tanev was traded  ?  I know there will be a roster player coming back because all the top teams have no cap space , or we are retaining salary so in reality we might as well keep Tanev  if that is the case 

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, SilentSam said:

On the other hand Rob,  Hughes might be keeping Tanev healthy and well enough to trade.

Yup, that is a valid perspective.   My own is that the Canucks should keep Tanev for at least the first three Hughes' full seasons.    As usual,  am probably in the minority.....

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Cy,   so your saying to have him for a possible 7 or less games in the first round.

Having him is worth more than a 2nd rnd pick or better next draft or the year after?
I just find that a bitter pill.

Honestly yes. If we can get a first then that changes but that's tough 

For the playoffs we'll need at least 8 defensemen  

Add Tryamkin Add Rafferty/Joulevi

I think we can rotate Stecher and Fanny out to get our best matchups.

Bigger teams add bigger D speed teams keep Stecher 

I want Hughes FRESH for the playoffs. We need to sit him (and Edler probably) out when our playoff position is finalized. Or play 7 D and have Huggy for the PP

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Upvote 1