The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

On 29/12/2017 at 11:15 PM, Canucks Curse said:

That krill Koltsov pick hurt so bad, 4 picks after him Chi drafts Duncan Keith. Holy crap! And almost the entire Nonis era was a draft bust 

not to detail the thread, but nonis had 4 drafts and got schneider, edler, hansen, bourdon, and grabner.  that's not all that bad. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tas said:

not to detail the thread, but nonis had 4 drafts and got schneider, edler, hansen, bourdon, and grabner.  that's not all that bad. 

One good player per draft?

i honestly think about LB from time to time, what a tragedy. He was loved here for sure but I have such a feeling that he would have been legendary here.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

i honestly think about LB from time to time, what a tragedy. He was loved here for sure but I have such a feeling that he would have been legendary here.

Bourdon would have been our number 1 defenseman in a few years, would have loved to have seen him on the team in 2011. Would've been a different series...

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

he also had mason raymond and mike brown, as well as sergei shirokov who probably could have had an nhl career considering he was one of the better players in the khl for an extended period. but even if you don't count him or bourdon, that's six nhl players that played at least 400* games in 4 years. compare that to the gm immediately before him (bryan allen**, artem chubarov**, jarkko ruutu**, sedin x 2, bieksa, kesler in 6 years) and the gm immediately after him (hodgson, connauton, schroeder, corrado, jensen, hutton, gaunce, horvat in 6 years), and I think he stacks up pretty favourably. 

* schneider has only played 360 games but he's a goalie

**burke was hired 5 days before the 1998 draft, so I'm not sure how much credit he can be given for those players

edit: it's interesting to note that in benning's 4 drafts he's already produced 5 nhl players, and that's with minimal development time. from those same drafts there are another 8 or so that should have nhl careers of some description. that's incredible. it's also why benning doesn't need to stockpile picks; you don't need a ton of bullets when you have the best sharpshooter around. 

Edited by tas
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, tas said:

he also had mason raymond and mike brown, as well as sergei shirokov who probably could have had an nhl career considering he was one of the better players in the khl for an extended period. but even if you don't count him or bourdon, that's six nhl players that played at least 400* games in 4 years. compare that to the gm immediately before him (bryan allen**, artem chubarov**, jarkko ruutu**, sedin x 2, bieksa, kesler in 6 years) and the gm immediately after him (hodgson, connauton, schroeder, corrado, jensen, hutton, gaunce, horvat in 6 years), and I think he stacks up pretty favourably. 

**burke was hired 5 days before the 1998 draft, so I'm not sure how much credit he can be given for those players

edit: it's interesting to note that in benning's 4 drafts he's already produced 5 nhl players, and that's with minimal development time. from those same drafts there are another 8 or so that should have nhl careers of some description. that's incredible. it's also why benning doesn't need to stockpile picks; you don't need a ton of bullets when you have the best sharpshooter around. 

Benning has also been drafting from much better positions with a less competitive team. However, Nonis has had a couple of dud drafts in his time with Vancouver and Toronto. For comparison:

Nonis (Vancouver)
2004 (late 1st round - Cory Schneider, late 3rd round - Alex Edler, late 5th round - Mike Brown, late 9th round - Jannik Hansen)
2005 (early 1st round - Luc Bourdon, late 2nd round - Mason Raymond)
2006 (mid 1st round - Michael Grabner, early 6th round - Sergei Shirokov)
2007 (late round picks - no NHL players)

Nonis (Toronto)
2013 (late round picks - no NHL players)
2014 (early 1st round - William Nylander)

Benning
2014 (early 1st round - Jake Virtanen, late 1st round - Jared McCann, early 3rd round - Nikita Tryamkin, early 5th round - Gustav Forsling)
2015 (late 1st round - Brock Boeser)

Benning picks also include Demko, Gaudette, Juolevi, and Pettersson that are very likely to be playing in the NHL soon. Too lazy to check how Benning compares with GMs on other teams for those drafts though.  

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 5:11 AM, tas said:

edit: it's interesting to note that in benning's 4 drafts he's already produced 5 nhl players, and that's with minimal development time. from those same drafts there are another 8 or so that should have nhl careers of some description. that's incredible. 

This logic is flawed. More bullets = more targets. It's not like he's the only shooter. Would I take Boeser and Barzal hell yes I would. 

24 minutes ago, hammertime said:

This logic is flawed. More bullets = more targets. It's not like he's the only shooter. Would I take Boeser and Barzal hell yes I would. 

sure, but hitting on a higher percentage of picks means you can use your other moveable assets to acquire young players instead of picks, with the intention of being competitive while rebuilding.

has it gone perfectly? of course not. but the approach is sound. 

After re-reading the Russian interview with Tree, he's a player who loves to play, and who loves to be loved by fans. He mentioned how the crowd would "oohhh" and "ahhhh" every time he made a hit and how much he liked it. I also feel more now that his decision to go back to Russia had definitely more to do with how WD used him (or didn't) and that the family part was secondary in his decision. Now, I think he could stand to learn a little about how the NHL works, in that he can't just be gifted ice time and instead has to realize that our new coach Green will be there to help him develop the right way through communication--which it sounded like WD didn't do with him--and properly allocated ice time. It also sounds like he keeps in touch with Goldie as well, so hopefully he will see how his buddy is persevering and beginning to earn his trust with Green.

Having said this, I say we start a vocal "Tryamkin come back! We love you!" campaign, ha! I bet it would make him think more seriously about coming back over ;) 

I seriously miss him, though, and am hopeful he does make a return. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, tas said:

sure, but hitting on a higher percentage of picks means you can use your other moveable assets to acquire young players instead of picks, with the intention of being competitive while rebuilding.

has it gone perfectly? of course not. but the approach is sound. 

He has done quite well at it.  At this point we have Dahlen, Goldy, Baer, Gudbrandson, Granlund, Pouiliot, Boucher to show for JB's "dumpster diving to fill the age gap." At this point I would say he would be better served to stockpile picks who will be ready to step in 2 to 3 years from now when we won't be getting those top picks and will need cheep depth. 

• Upvote 1

Looked ok today, not one of his best games. But the stick check was there, he's been working on his offensive carries into the zone (one really good chance when he went around the goalie for a shot) He's on the number 1 PP I think or from what I saw. Skating looked good and no chub at all looked lean (maybe he took that note to heart). 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Looked ok today, not one of his best games. But the stick check was there, he's been working on his offensive carries into the zone (one really good chance when he went around the goalie for a shot) He's on the number 1 PP I think or from what I saw. Skating looked good and no chub at all looked lean (maybe he took that note to heart). 

Have I been doppleganged Hairy?    ..... go ahead, make my day ;) 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

That is entirely speculative.

Of course it is. Would you be happier if I said I believe it would've been a different series? He was going to be a very good defenseman, maybe better than anyone else we had at the time. But hey that's just speculation too. 

• Upvote 1

The real tragedy is had Luc never had his accident, the Canucks probably wouldn't have given Edler the kind of contracts he was getting, and he would have been put into a number 3-4 spot, where he'd be more comfortable. Or possibly traded Edler when his value was higher. 

• Cheers 1

On 08/01/2018 at 7:11 PM, Jester13 said:

After re-reading the Russian interview with Tree, he's a player who loves to play, and who loves to be loved by fans. He mentioned how the crowd would "oohhh" and "ahhhh" every time he made a hit and how much he liked it. I also feel more now that his decision to go back to Russia had definitely more to do with how WD used him (or didn't) and that the family part was secondary in his decision. Now, I think he could stand to learn a little about how the NHL works, in that he can't just be gifted ice time and instead has to realize that our new coach Green will be there to help him develop the right way through communication--which it sounded like WD didn't do with him--and properly allocated ice time. It also sounds like he keeps in touch with Goldie as well, so hopefully he will see how his buddy is persevering and beginning to earn his trust with Green.

Having said this, I say we start a vocal "Tryamkin come back! We love you!" campaign, ha! I bet it would make him think more seriously about coming back over ;) 

I seriously miss him, though, and am hopeful he does make a return. 

I enjoyed watching him very much. Been awhile since we had a guy that could move a Getzlaf.