The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

15 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

This the first time I have actually heard a number offered by the Canucks.........2 Million (hear say)?

-His original contract with the Canucks was $925,000 X 2 years

-MDZ makes $3 Million per...........Hutton $2.8 M

-He is currently making approx. $1.0 M (hear say)?

-So he goes home and makes less money and no taxes.........just about the same as $2 Million

-No wonder he went home....what was the incentive?

-My guess is he will be offered 1.5 million on his new contract in Russia.......Guesstimate?????who really knows?

So taking into consideration what the Canucks are paying MDZ and Hutton

I am guessing Nikita will be offered 3.5 Million by the Canucks, ($1.0 million Utica) which would be substantially more than his next Russian contract

If we use the suggested out clause...I would offer him 4.0 X 8 years, because that is what a 3/4 Defensemen makes.........

if he doesn't look like a 3/4, then send him home or to Utica, we have plenty of 5/6/7's....the option is held by both parties

My guess would be the out clause the Canucks includes..... where he can go home if not on the big club (Canucks)

But if he makes the top 4, then he should be paid 3.5 or more.........the question is how many years?

The 2 million dollar offer would just psss's me off......it actually does! 

Tryamkin, could be an important part of our future......."IF" he comes back!

I think the latest interveiw that “Stierlitz” has posted says a lot.

i think he will return.   Perhaps a confidence issue, that Desjardins did not help with, and could have done better at considering Nik is a young Russian leaving home.. perhaps its one of the reasons that had Desjardins leaving early from his contract.. a Coach re-building a team with youth, has to have a pulse, not ice in his veins.

Green seems to do it with both, Goldobrin is an example.

Nik does follow the Club closley here,. And has his eye on another young Russian that might end up here.

I cant speculate what Nik might want for a contract if he returns, but i can almost guarantee it is NHL only.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I think the latest interveiw that “Stierlitz” has posted says a lot.

i think he will return.   Perhaps a confidence issue, that Desjardins did not help with, and could have done better at considering Nik is a young Russian leaving home.. perhaps its one of the reasons that had Desjardins leaving early from his contract.. a Coach re-building a team with youth, has to have a pulse, not ice in his veins.

Green seems to do it with both, Goldobrin is an example.

Nik does follow the Club closley here,. And has his eye on another young Russian that might end up here.

I cant speculate what Nik might want for a contract if he returns, but i can almost guarantee it is NHL only.

Thanks Sam

I have never been happy with Tryamkin leaving, and have always blamed JB suspected Contract offer and Willies coaching as the 2 main culprits

I am a Benning supporter, but this one gets me bad! 

Edited by janisahockeynut

20 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Thanks Sam

I have never been happy with Tryamkin leaving, and have always blamed JB suspected Contract offer and Willies coaching as the 2 main culprits

I am a Benning supporter, but this one gets me bad! 

What i think was a 2x 2m offer before he left i think was fair, Nik would have been negotiating this season for a great one in 2019-20.. perhaps around the 4m marker if Nik was playing up to potential.. i think your 3.5 marker is a good one.

I cant blame Benning for not trying,.  but perhaps Jim should have stood on WD’s toes regarding the handling of Nik..  and of course, hope the Canucks are in touch with him.

The one comment that stands out in an interview from last year was where he was asked about his x-coach WD.

Nik was asked, or compared WD to TG,..  Nik said TG was a good person, where as WD was normal.   Considering the amount of time that Nik had spent with Travis (training camp) vs Willie (+1 seasons).. it suspectly, but respectfully says a lot. ;)

Edited by SilentSam

10 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

What i think was a 2x 2m offer before he left i think was fair, Nik would have been negotiating this season for a great one in 2019-20.. perhaps around the 4m marker if Nik was playing up to potential.. i think your 3.5 marker is a good one.

I cant blame Benning for not trying,.  but perhaps Jim should have stood on WD’s toes regarding the handling of Nik.

The one comment that stands out in an interview from last year was where he was asked about his x-coach WD.

Nik was asked, or compared WD to TG,..  Nik said TG was a good person, where as WD was normal.   Considering the amount of time that Nik had spent with Travis (training camp) vs Willie (+1 seasons).. it suspectly, but respectfully says a lot. ;)

I honestly think Nikita was playing like a veteran at the end of the last year, as we had a lot of injuries if I recall, and Nikita was used and played like 3/4 defensemen...to be honest, I think his impact was bigger than that, and Benning should have been paying for his ability at the end of the season and futures......like I pointed out MDZ and Hutton were examples of what you pay 5/6 defensemen...Hutton maybe for Futures to some extent, but Tryamkin's impact was greater than Ben's, even then....regardless of his points

I mean, how many players change opposing teams zone entries? Tryamkin did.............that in itself should have indicated his value...never mind the defensive net presence, or the fan support for that matter.........or just the fight back in him..........not talking about fighting...........just defending himself was entertaining enough. Guys were skating over to him to make a point and loosing quickly....he was exciting! 

I just have a feeling that Jim low balled him....badly! And pssted him off.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

There is recent interview with Tryamkin about his return to the NHL dated April 19: https://www.sports.ru/hockey/1062396799.html . Here is translation:

I will think about returning to the NHL when my contract with Avtomobilist would be over. If they will need me, if I play good enough that they would want to sign me. I have not turned over the page with the NHL for myself but this is not 100% guarantee that I will go there.

I watch the NHL games, mostly with Vancouver - there is 12-hour time difference so I wake up, watch the games before my practice, this is interesting to see how the team is doing. Read reviews, follow the Russian players, how they play, who scores, interesting stuff.

I keep contact with Kolya Goldobin, talk on phone sometimes, he is proving that he can play and score, I am happy for him. Sometimes the Russian factor plays the role, this is unavoidable.

The Sedins brothers are gone, they have made huge contribution in the club history, the amazing people who played for the same club for 18 years. Now young players have a chance to prove themselves, and if Vancouver is lucky to get the 1st or 2nd draft pick, this would be very important because the club needs another young leader like Brock Boeser. The first two are going to be Svechnikov and Dahlin, both are very good players.

Sounds like he has a lot of national pride, not unusual for anyone really. Says he follows our Russians, but don’t we only have like 2? Zhukenov and Goldy. Him and Goldy sound close. Might add Goldy to my list of untouchables. :ph34r:

I am big on Svechnikov but I get the feeling we won’t be that lucky. I’m still lottery hopeful for any of the top 3 picks. Please give us Dahlin or Svechnikov. 

Sounds like he holds Brock in high regards. Brock’s dark horse captaincy gaining more traction. Might be reading into it too much but he didn’t mention Bo as a young leader. Probably just reading into it too much. Must be Trying to find a negative here.

All in all sounds like we have a leg up on getting him back. Sounds like he doesn’t want to be another story of a Russian bailing on his team. A story I never truly believed. I did believe it was family related more than money.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

There is recent interview with Tryamkin about his return to the NHL dated April 19: https://www.sports.ru/hockey/1062396799.html . Here is translation:

I will think about returning to the NHL when my contract with Avtomobilist would be over. If they will need me, if I play good enough that they would want to sign me. I have not turned over the page with the NHL for myself but this is not 100% guarantee that I will go there.

I watch the NHL games, mostly with Vancouver - there is 12-hour time difference so I wake up, watch the games before my practice, this is interesting to see how the team is doing. Read reviews, follow the Russian players, how they play, who scores, interesting stuff.

I keep contact with Kolya Goldobin, talk on phone sometimes, he is proving that he can play and score, I am happy for him. Sometimes the Russian factor plays the role, this is unavoidable.

The Sedins brothers are gone, they have made huge contribution in the club history, the amazing people who played for the same club for 18 years. Now young players have a chance to prove themselves, and if Vancouver is lucky to get the 1st or 2nd draft pick, this would be very important because the club needs another young leader like Brock Boeser. The first two are going to be Svechnikov and Dahlin, both are very good players.

I get a sense that he is actually quite loyal to the team that drafted him.

My bet is that he will return after his Russian contract expires if not sooner. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I honestly think Nikita was playing like a veteran at the end of the last year, as we had a lot of injuries if I recall, and Nikita was used and played like 3/4 defensemen...to be honest, I think his impact was bigger than that, and Benning should have been paying for his ability at the end of the season and futures......like I pointed out MDZ and Hutton were examples of what you pay 5/6 defensemen...Hutton maybe for Futures to some extent, but Tryamkin's impact was greater than Ben's, even then....regardless of his points

I mean, how many players change opposing teams zone entries? Tryamkin did.............that in itself should have indicated his value...never mind the defensive net presence, or the fan support for that matter.........or just the fight back in him..........not talking about fighting...........just defending himself was entertaining enough. Guys were skating over to him to make a point and loosing quickly....he was exciting! 

I just have a feeling that Jim low balled him....badly! And pssted him off.

I was blown away when Tryamkin went back to the KHL. He was getting 2nd pairing TOI by the end of the season. Perhaps the communication between Try and Desjardin could have been better. As fans we were not there and we can only speculate based on what we saw. Maybe by the tail end of the season the coach/player relationship wasn't there. I doubt it as Desjardin was liked by his players and his critic might have been more that he shielded them to much. 

Did Benning low ball Tryamkin? At a $2mil deal how could that be lowball when apparently he plays for $1 mil in the KHL? I would expect a bridge deal over 3 years. At the end of the day I think he went back to Russia because of family and likely because he found the NHL a tad more of a challenge than he thought it wold be. Fans should not forget how bad the team was as a whole. It would shake the confidence of most young players.  At that I thought he had set himself up for a very solid 2nd season.  

not every player with the talent to play at the highest level has the drive to match when they see how much work it takes. 

tryamkin has a history of fitness issues, which likely means he has a history of work ethic issues. when presented with the option to live at home, speak his native tongue, be close to his family, keep his wife happy and earn similar or even better money all while being a bigger fish in a smaller pond without having to work as hard, the decision was probably a fairly easy one to make. 

• Upvote 1

Tryamkin recently played for the Russian national team in the three so-called Czech Games (part of Euro Tournament) against Finland, Sweden and Czech Rep. All three were losses with the identical score 1-2 :) So he is still playing hockey which is a good thing.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for posting that recent interview Stierlitz.

It gives a lot of hope that Tryamkin will return to the Canucks and goes a long way towards mending our broken hearts.

(Jilted lover complex, "what did we do wrong", "what could we have done so he did not leave", etc.)

Someone, somehow, has to show Nikita how much he was loved and respected here, how much he was missed, and how much we want him back.

Apparently, he is keeping up with the Canucks; maybe some of our more savvy social media types could get something going.

While I respect his character for completing contracts he has signed, I hope for someone to find an honourable workaround that allows his return to the NHL and Canucks sooner rather than the end of the contract.

Igor Larionov and Goldy may be of assistance here as well; Tryamkin seems to have a good relationship with Goldy already and stood up for him when WD benched him after he scored a goal "the wrong way".

• Like 2

My opinion only on why Tryamkin left - WD decision to play Stecher more than him.

Both were 22 yo rookies, one's 6'7", the other 5'10". Stecher got off to a great start. Try had fitness issues. However, I feel, in the long run and maybe the 2nd half of that year, Tryamkin is/was the better player yet Stecher was a WD favourite.  Granted, Stecher had the better work ethic but I feel Try had the much better upside.

Who has the better chance to be an All-Star? Chara or Rafalski?

1 hour ago, rizzuto&hatoum said:

My opinion only on why Tryamkin left - WD decision to play Stecher more than him.

Both were 22 yo rookies, one's 6'7", the other 5'10". Stecher got off to a great start. Try had fitness issues. However, I feel, in the long run and maybe the 2nd half of that year, Tryamkin is/was the better player yet Stecher was a WD favourite.  Granted, Stecher had the better work ethic but I feel Try had the much better upside.

Who has the better chance to be an All-Star? Chara or Rafalski?

Chara has had more All Star appearances but has one Cup while Rafalski has had 3 and has made the playoffs in every year of his 11 year NHL career. Rafalski also played overseas a few years before finding his game in the NHL, perhaps the same can happen with Tryamkin.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

So he leaves for less money.

Highly doubtful money had anything to do with his decision.  There is absolutely zero evidence it did.

Hutt

You could be right.....I don't have any proof

I do have a friend that played in Germany, and who's contract was tax free + a big flat + a very fast car

Long time ago....could easily have changed but

It's not too hard to extrapolate the difference between  1 million Tax free in Russia to 2 million not tax free in Canada

With bonuses, they may not be that far apart.......no idea what and where the net differences are

But that applies both ways, and all I am saying is, if they are close and your girl wants to go back

and you hate the coach, and everyone smokes pot.............and your girl friend wants to go back

and the difference isn't much, and you see guys that aren't as good as you making more, and 

you are expecting a offer in the 3M+.....and you don't get it, and your girl friend wants to go back

Then you probably go back........not all entirely his fault, and Jim low balled him if the story is true......

Lots of moving parts that were correctable, before they even started to get big!

Nikita can't be blamed for it all........are you blaming him for the either fiasco? 

Because he should be here, developing and making us happy! Me happy!

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I was blown away when Tryamkin went back to the KHL. He was getting 2nd pairing TOI by the end of the season. Perhaps the communication between Try and Desjardin could have been better. As fans we were not there and we can only speculate based on what we saw. Maybe by the tail end of the season the coach/player relationship wasn't there. I doubt it as Desjardin was liked by his players and his critic might have been more that he shielded them to much. 

Did Benning low ball Tryamkin? At a $2mil deal how could that be lowball when apparently he plays for $1 mil in the KHL? I would expect a bridge deal over 3 years. At the end of the day I think he went back to Russia because of family and likely because he found the NHL a tad more of a challenge than he thought it wold be. Fans should not forget how bad the team was as a whole. It would shake the confidence of most young players.  At that I thought he had set himself up for a very solid 2nd season.  

Boudrias, I generally like how you write, but I think you answered your own question in part A

2 Million is a low ball offer for a 3/4 Dman................by about 2 million give or take

I agree there were a lot of factors, but Benning really misjudged Tryamkins desire and value............he screwed up! Plain and simple

I do agree it might be a bridge deal........but it's going to be in the 3+ area.....remember he turned down 2 Million (hear say)

Benning should not want to screw this up again..........

I will say this...........as much as I will not back down on my view of this fiasco.......

My opinion is only that, until proven otherwise

All I can say though is that Tryamkin's play was very good at the end of his last season

But all the gossip part....is purely conjecture, until proven otherwise

6 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Boudrias, I generally like how you write, but I think you answered your own question in part A

2 Million is a low ball offer for a 3/4 Dman................by about 2 million give or take

I agree there were a lot of factors, but Benning really misjudged Tryamkins desire and value............he screwed up! Plain and simple

I do agree it might be a bridge deal........but it's going to be in the 3+ area.....remember he turned down 2 Million (hear say)

Benning should not want to screw this up again..........

I could clarify that Tryamkin closed the season playing 2nd paring TOI but played most of the season at 16 - 18 TOI. A lot of this was injury related. If Try going back to Russia was about money then I still cannot see what $2 mil in Canada doesn't keep him here when he plays for $1M in the KHL. 

As fans we do not know what was happening behind the curtains. Maybe Benning blew it, maybe Willie did, maybe Nikita blew it, or maybe it was a combo of things. All I know is that I want him back if he wants to be here for hockey reasons.  

• Cheers 2

23 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

is "Kolya" a nick name, like saying Nicky?

Sounds like he's pretty interested in the team still, makes me wonder what the heck really happened behind the scenes.

• Wat 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

is "Kolya" a nick name, like saying Nicky?

Sounds like he's pretty interested in the team still, makes me wonder what the heck really happened behind the scenes.

That is just it Jim

But as much as I blame JB.....I am sure it was a combination of many things........

I just have this gut feeling it was the Willie and the Contract offer that were the 2 main culprits.

I think he "may" be simplistically ethical?

Aka....pay a man what he is worth, never welsh on a deal, a happy wife is a happy life! ::D

8 hours ago, tas said:

not every player with the talent to play at the highest level has the drive to match when they see how much work it takes. 

tryamkin has a history of fitness issues, which likely means he has a history of work ethic issues. when presented with the option to live at home, speak his native tongue, be close to his family, keep his wife happy and earn similar or even better money all while being a bigger fish in a smaller pond without having to work as hard, the decision was probably a fairly easy one to make. 

“A history of fitness issues”..   ??     Theres a list somewhere?    Or are you speaking of the time Desjardins threw him under the bus?

• Upvote 1