The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

Overall, Gudbranson is a more aggressive defenseman. Tryamkin just seems meaner because he has 3 inches and 45 pounds on Gudbranson.

Yes and he will cause people to back up a bit along the boards like Burns or Byfuglien does - nobody wants to get absolutely pasted on the boards by a dude trending north of 240 lbs. So what. Thats just one small aspect of defensive play. Don't forget, he is a LHD and plays the left side mostly. Yes, he can play the right side and he was doing a decent job for us as 3-RD, sort of like when Pouilot has his 'better days playing the off-side' but he will have to do helluva lot more on the right side to legitimately challenge a 2-RD who's job is to be a good, sandpaper defensive-d: a job he does remarkably well on his good days. 

A consistent Guddy would be a value to a playoff contender team. He doesn't have the right set-up to be a super-consistent D in Vancouver, predominantly because defensive Ds like Guddy thrive on chemistry, which is built over long periods of time and Vancouver hasn't had a gelled D-pair except the occasional Tanev-Edler pairing, since our cup-run days.

2 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

Yes and he will cause people to back up a bit along the boards like Burns or Byfuglien does - nobody wants to get absolutely pasted on the boards by a dude trending north of 240 lbs. So what. Thats just one small aspect of defensive play. Don't forget, he is a LHD and plays the left side mostly. Yes, he can play the right side and he was doing a decent job for us as 3-RD, sort of like when Pouilot has his 'better days playing the off-side' but he will have to do helluva lot more on the right side to legitimately challenge a 2-RD who's job is to be a good, sandpaper defensive-d: a job he does remarkably well on his good days. 

A consistent Guddy would be a value to a playoff contender team. He doesn't have the right set-up to be a super-consistent D in Vancouver, predominantly because defensive Ds like Guddy thrive on chemistry, which is built over long periods of time and Vancouver hasn't had a gelled D-pair except the occasional Tanev-Edler pairing, since our cup-run days.

Gudbranson was very consistent last year when he was paired with Edler. Green has gone with a Tanev - Edler pairing this season, negating the possibility of that.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Gudbranson is a more aggressive defenseman and more likely to fight... but Tryamkin will definitely react if he feels his goalie or team mates are being threatened... we saw that many times.

Tryamkin has one big advantage over Gudbranson... he is a better skater.  He can wheel up ice and carry the puck much better.  He is not much of a finisher, not much of a shot, but if he learns to dish off at the end of a rush, he could be an offensive positive.

Gudbranson is a good hitter, no question, but that extra two inches and 45 lbs does make a big difference and I would rate Tryamkin as more effective physically.

Personally I would not trade Gudbranson even if Tryamkin returned.  The Canucks will need two physical stay at home defensemen to complement the fast skating offensive smurfs who are already on the team or who will be arriving.

Agreed! I wouldn't trade Gudbranson either, they make a punishing pair. Also, Tram is always being physical, always knocking guys down, which becomes infectious. 

22 hours ago, Rush17 said:

I am curious if he would make Gudbranson expendable in quick order if we could ink him to term. Teams want Gudbranson still and he's been pretty solid so far. Dave Tallon would love to have him back. Apparently some west coast also liked him.  

I know tryamkin would have made FLA pay even if he didn't get Matheson himself. The team wanted him to be like Pronger but what they need to do is let him be Tryamkin. He tossed those ducks around like they were nothing. He is passionate and can be physical when he wants to be. 

My question though would be term on a new deal? I'd safely offer him 4-5 years at 5M. He still has lots of room to grow. Where do you guys see his returning contract looking like? Guddy makes 4. Tryamkin will be the better player no question.

You are making a lot of assumptions about Tryamkin IMO. He has shown flashes in his short time in Vancouver but a willingness to give a 5 year term and $5 mil per versus Gudbranson who has +300 NHL games is more than a stretch. 

Gudbranson has shown the ability to play 2nd pairing 'd' in the NHL, Tryamkin has not. I am not saying he does not have that potential. If he ever decides to come back to the NHL he will still be faced with the hard reality of playing himself out of a bottom pairing role. Since I expect one of Edler or Tanev will be moved within 2 years he might have a good opportunity of doing that. 

My biggest issue with Tryamkin is his attitude, or the basis, for his attitude. I know Gudbranson wants to play NHL I am not sure if Tryamkin does. As JB puts the pieces together for a serious CUP contender adding a problem to the roster is not needed. Where you suggested moving Guddy to make room for Tryamkin I can only dreAM OF HAVING BOTH on the roster. 

• Like 1

Elder - Tanev (20 mins)

Hughes - Gudbranson (20 mins)

Juolevi - Tryamkin (20 mins)

I could see something like this by mid season next year, if they all happen to sign and make the team. Hughes and Juolevi with more PP time and Guddy and Tryamkin with more PK time. Tryamkin could also be a good PP2 option, or even a net front presence on PP1 from time to time. I’m hoping the big guy signs. I would have no problem giving him Guddy money with term.

Edited by HomeBrew

5 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

Elder - Tanev (20 mins)

Hughes - Gudbranson (20 mins)

Juolevi - Tryamkin (20 mins)

I could see something like this by mid season next year, if they all happen to sign and make the team. Hughes and Juolevi with more PP time and Guddy and Tryamkin with more PK time. Tryamkin could also be a good PP2 option, or even a net front presence on PP1 from time to time. I’m hoping the big guy signs. I would have no problem giving him Guddy money with term.

Got to remember that Elder will be a year odler !

• Haha 4

On 10/16/2018 at 1:08 PM, canuckistani said:

Actually, Tryamkin is a left shot D who plays the right side mainly. 

I agree with your recognition of Tryamkin's physical nature: as illustrated here: 

The thing that bugs me about Gudbranson is that his favorite outlet pass is called 'icing'.  That has killed us in the past, but thankfully we are much better on the draw this year.  Thanks Manny!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

https://canucksarmy.com/2018/10/18/blackfish-canucksarmy-prospect-report-october-18th-2018/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Tryamkin got his "C" stripped. Thats wonderful!! More reason for him to come back :) xD 

I really hope the Canucks somehow can make a deal to get him out of his contract early. I miss how he could make other NHL players look small.  would have no problem giving him top 4  minutes with us. Could be a nice pair guy for OJ or Hughes ( Man the size difference would be massive like Chara & Krug?)

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I really hope the Canucks somehow can make a deal to get him out of his contract early. I miss how he could make other NHL players look small.  would have no problem giving him top 4  minutes with us. Could be a nice pair guy for OJ or Hughes ( Man the size difference would be massive like Chara & Krug?)

But does he wanna come back tho. 

On 2018-08-30 at 1:26 PM, Alflives said:

Tryamkin is 6’8”, right?  He’s a friggin’ HUGE guy.

He will be back in the NHL, but not here.

i say we will trade his rights to an eastern team, like Washington or TBay.  

Trymakin is a enigma like many Russian players he makes no sense sometimes. 

He is a capable NHL player without his size. He could be a 5/6 d man on many rosters without him being 6’8 270lbs. 

He has the skating and defensive awareness with some modest offence potential. 

Get him back on the roster and bring up OJ and Hughes next year. 

MDZ... gone. Beiga gone. Pouliot and Hutton are bubble players.  If one of them falters, maybe resign Edler only if he allows himself to be traded at the TDL. 

Next year. 

Edler Tanev.  Match up pairing

Hughes Trymakin. Future top pairing 

OJ Guddy. Another potential top pairing

Hutton/Pouliot with Stecher another decent pairing. 

Rotate guys in and out of line up, OJ and Hughes should be waiver exempt and can be sent down if need be.  We have to carry 8 guys and with Stecher and Hughes both likely mainstays we need the size of Guddy, Wdler and Trymakin it we will get beat up. 

Woo is one more season away from Utica. We have some decent guys like Brisebois on the farm, Rathbone and Utunen are on longer development paths. Solid d in the future.   

32 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Hard to say, doesn't seem all that sentimental to the NHL dream. It is encouraging that he keeps tabs on the team though. He has a pre-existing relationship with Goldy and they apparently talk pretty often.

Goldy being given a fair shot this year will go a long way to seeing Trymakin back. Getting another Russian this off season could seal it. 

Panarin would be a possible FA target. 

21 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Goldy being given a fair shot this year will go a long way to seeing Trymakin back. Getting another Russian this off season could seal it. 

Panarin would be a possible FA target. 

Likely gonna ask for upwards of 8-10 mil. He's near a point per game player and a 30 goal scorer, was PPG last year and potentially this year as well. Has consistently dropped 70+ points in each of the last 4 seasons. Doubt he signs here on the low end of my projections. Unless we have one hell of a season and Pettersson puts the league on notice we won't be a super sought after destination just yet. Eriksson contract kinda stinks in this regard too.