The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

Don’t think I’m exaggerating much here.

Unfortunately, that same interview with Eronko also revealed that Tryamkin might not be a huge fan of the city of Vancouver, and the reason for his disdain is rather unexpected. When Tryamkin describes Vancouver as a “dope city,” he’s not just picking up on local slang. As Tryamkin elaborated, “Everywhere you go it’s not just smell, it really stinks of weed.”

This was not just an off-the-cuff statement, either. Tryamkin went on a veritable rant about marijuana, claiming that “Everyone smokes grass everywhere. The city is all in smoke. There is still a street – I do not remember what is called. So there even in a car it’s scary to go. A lot of bad guys. They can not stand on their feet, but they still smoke without stopping.”

He even went as far as to suggest that Vancouver’s love of pot affected his home life, claiming that “In downtown, in the center of the city stank the same. We lived on the tenth floor – even there, it used to smell. This is how much you need to smoke? It seems to me, it was possible to stick the receiver out of the window and inhale.”

https://canucksarmy.com/2018/10/02/the-likelihood-of-nikita-tryamkin-returning-to-the-vancouver-canucks-according-to-nikita-tryamkin/

2 hours ago, Dungass said:

You said : "He needs porters to carry all of his baggage at this point.  His comments about Vancouver being a dope city don't bode well, especially after legalization." 

So you're implying that he's a prima donna who doesn't like Vancouver.  Yes, you are exaggerating.  The journalist that conducted the interview clarified that he was commenting about his surprise that weed is so popular in Vancouver.  Stop being a WUM.  Wind Up Merchant.

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

You said : "He needs porters to carry all of his baggage at this point.  His comments about Vancouver being a dope city don't bode well, especially after legalization." 

So you're implying that he's a prima donna who doesn't like Vancouver.  Yes, you are exaggerating.  The journalist that conducted the interview clarified that he was commenting about his surprise that weed is so popular in Vancouver.  Stop being a WUM.  Wind Up Merchant.

The journalist said.  He didn’t quote Tryamkin, whereas all of the other comments are direct quotes.  Sorry if your feelings are hurt if the guy has issues with drug use in the city.  

As for his being a prima dona, well, he’s had issues with his last two professional clubs.  People can judge for themselves why that is, but, yes, I think that does constitute baggage.

On ‎2018‎-‎10‎-‎24 at 1:20 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

This sounds more like the player that left Vancouver and blamed a lot of things but not his own commitment.   He will have to decide how much his career means to him sooner than later.

Nope! His wife wants to live in Moscow. Better shopping.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Bingo!  VHabitant !!

Just too bad some of our sore spot fans are so thin skinned.

Nik Played well for us in Vancouver.. lived up to his contract here.. he is a promising draft pick of ours with a very bright future. If he does come back , sure to be, as he was,  a fan favorite .

Unfortunately the entire d-core struggled in Tryamkin's rookie year. He showed a lot of promise so I was 'slack jawed' when he went back to Russia. No player or his agent could have interpreted his season as less than very promising. Yet they did. Lots of speculation as to the reasons he left whether professional or his family life. Benning certainly did not speculate so whether the Tryamkin camp had a serious talk with him is up in the air.

Lots of non-hockey reasons for why players never reach the heights of their abilities. Many have to do with off the ice issues. Who knows what is going on with Tryamkin. Deciding to take his game back to the KHL was a huge mistake IMHO. Making the NHL is hard enough and returning to a far weaker league will do him no benefit. It creates scenarios where future efforts in the NHL, if he returns, can always be 'explained away, if unsuccessful. While we can all hope that it works out for Nik whether in the KHL or with Vancouver it will take a lot of work to dispell the questions he has created. 

• Cheers 1

On 10/27/2018 at 1:02 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

I worked in TO earlier this year. Walking around the same smell, weed on every block. It's not just a VanCity thing. It's a moot point. Can't really be 100% avoided.

My house is one neighbourhood over from little Jamaica. Walking through there on a Friday night is like a giant hot box :lol:

Most areas though I wouldn't say it is quite as much out in the open but pretty much everybody here does it. They just don't talk about it as much which is more just a cultural thing I noticed between Vancouverites and Torontonians. Vancouver attitudes overall are much more collectivist. 

8 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

The big guy played today and, of course, Avto won another game (2-1 in OT). 22W-1L on the season. No points for Nik, but he had 4 hits and 2 blocks.

Tryamkin only played 17+ minutes, so cue the ice time controversy comments from the usual suspects (I'm looking at you Canucks Army).

Of course, Avto dressed 8 Ds and 7 of them skated in the game. None of their defensemen played over 20 minutes. And Tryamkin actually tied for the team high for shifts.

But none of that matters. His ice time is down this season so there must be a serious problem.

Couldn't be that the KHL's best team also has arguably the league's deepest defensive group.

And that dividing ice time among 7 Ds works out to an average of around 17 minutes for each player.

Nah, that's just too mathy and boring. Let's talk about a rift between Nik and his coaches. And his entitlement issues. That's far more interesting, right? ;) 

Sid, I remember back in the '70's when the Russians introduced their 5 player units and it was viewed as revolutionary, especially when they were winning. Edmonton worries about McDavid's longevity when he regularly plays +22 minutes. With a faster game maybe 7 or 8 d-men dressing makes sense. KHL has the bigger ice surfaces as well. It would be a truly radical move in the NHL. Can you see Doughty playing 17 minutes in LA? He would go wild. 

14 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

My house is one neighbourhood over from little Jamaica. Walking through there on a Friday night is like a giant hot box :lol:

Most areas though I wouldn't say it is quite as much out in the open but pretty much everybody here does it. They just don't talk about it as much which is more just a cultural thing I noticed between Vancouverites and Torontonians. Vancouver attitudes overall are much more collectivist. 

Haha yeah here were mentioned as weed city dope smokers and not TO but I walked through town  'touristing TO' (on several occasions, nice weather etc) and it smelled the same as Commercial Drive. Nope no difference according to my nose, I was snickering at the double standard :gocan:

Edited by Hairy Kneel

11 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

The big guy played today and, of course, Avto won another game (2-1 in OT). 22W-1L on the season. No points for Nik, but he had 4 hits and 2 blocks.

Tryamkin only played 17+ minutes, so cue the ice time controversy comments from the usual suspects (I'm looking at you Canucks Army).

Of course, Avto dressed 8 Ds and 7 of them skated in the game. None of their defensemen played over 20 minutes. And Tryamkin actually tied for the team high for shifts.

But none of that matters. His ice time is down this season so there must be a serious problem.

Couldn't be that the KHL's best team also has arguably the league's deepest defensive group.

And that dividing ice time among 7 Ds works out to an average of around 17 minutes for each player.

Nah, that's just too mathy and boring. Let's talk about a rift between Nik and his coaches. And his entitlement issues. That's far more interesting, right? ;) 

I actually really like a couple of their big mobile D men (can't remember their names '55' I think was one) the same mold as Try.

Haven’t seen video yet but apparently Nik got into a fight today with Jesse Joensuu. From what I can tell off of Twitter, the big guy only managed to get one glove off and then proceeded to wreck his opponent with a rain of gloved punches. Probably sounds more exciting than it really was, but it was definitely a fight as the KHL English website has Nik serving a 5 minute “fisticuffs” penalty.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Haven’t seen video yet but apparently Nik got into a fight today with Jesse Joensuu. From what I can tell off of Twitter, the big guy only managed to get one glove off and then proceeded to wreck his opponent with a rain of gloved punches. Probably sounds more exciting than it really was, but it was definitely a fight as the KHL English website has Nik serving a 5 minute “fisticuffs” penalty.

I like it a lot. I can't wait to see the video. If he could develop a mean streak....