The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

7 minutes ago, Western Red said:

I'm thinking 4-5m with 3-4 year term and a LNTC.

Big fan here obviously.

And some people will freak out about these numbers, but if we want him back, I was thinking 5 years in the $20M range, with a signing bonus large enough to allow him to buy out his contract and comfortably relocate himself and his wife to Vancouver. Your numbers would also work, anything less and I think he says, they don't really want me back so I stay where I am.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aliboy said:

After the comment by his agent, I think we have to decide if we want him back and then, if so, step up and make a good offer. He likely wants to see an offer that says, get over here, we want you, and here's a deal to prove it. Some will say, he hasn't earned that, but I think we should take that chance, just my opinion.

In cash only. I don't want to see any 'no AHL' etc clauses. You can't guarantee the guy an NHL gig when he showed up out of shape last time and at the very least has shown signs of some entitlement issues. His management needs to explain to him that he'd have very little chance of seeing any AHL time if he shows up prepared and even if he does, it would be VERY short term in all likelihood.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Its pretty obvious that trying out  Nik again would solve some, not all, issues on the defence so it would be worth overpaying Nik by 1 mil so he can buy out his KHL deal. So at this point, what is Nik's market value? 

I'd offer him $3.5-$4m X 2 years with a $1m signing bonus. $4m-$4.5 AAV.

Nice bridge deal to let him earn a bigger contract/see if he wants to stay longer and keeps him out of ED protection concerns. And a HELL of a lot cheaper than Myers.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Are there any similarities between a situation where Tryamkin could sign, and play the final few games of the season, and the O'Reiily screw up where Flames would have to waive him ? I think that moving from Europe mid season was a factor. There are probably many differences to consider. It can get complicated !

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

In cash only. I don't want to see any 'no AHL' etc clauses. You can't guarantee the guy an NHL gig when he showed up out of shape last time and at the very least has shown signs of some entitlement issues. His management needs to explain to him that he'd have very little chance of seeing any AHL time if he shows up prepared and even if he does, it would be VERY short term in all likelihood.

Nice bridge deal to let him earn a bigger contract/see if he wants to stay longer and keeps him out of ED protection concerns. And a HELL of a lot cheaper than Myers.

true, but he won't provide any offence tho. But maybe with both Edler and Hughes there's enough puck movement to up the d scoring anyway. As long as we don't sign Gardiner. 

5 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Are there any similarities between a situation where Tryamkin could sign, and play the final few games of the season, and the O'Reiily screw up where Flames would have to waive him ? I think that moving from Europe mid season was a factor. There are probably many differences to consider. It can get complicated !

The difference would be, was the Flames player already under contract, and then came over mid season? A player has to be under contract by a certain date.

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And that is the choice, the numbers you're talking would likely work, but we already have enough of a sample size, we've seen him play and now he has more professional experience. They are going to say, screw the bridge deal and no AHL and then we decide, I don't see it as being that much of a risk.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, aliboy said:

My understanding is, he had to be under contract with us back in December.

just skimming over the CBA.... I dunno, it doesn't look that clear cut to me since he did go and sign a deal with a non-affiliated club. It looks to me like Bettman could allow it potentially. But I've been wrong on the CBA before. We need @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME to make a ruling. 

1 minute ago, aliboy said:

The difference would be, was the Flames player already under contract, and then came over mid season? A player has to be under contract by a certain date.

I think in O'Reilly's case, he had an 'opt out' KHL contract ( he was RFA as far as the NHL went ) and then received an offer sheet from the Flames. Colorado matched but could have played hard ball with the waiver factor. As far as being 'too late' in the season to join the team, I'm really not sure. If Teves and Hughes can play with late signings, why not Tryamkin ?

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

I think in O'Reilly's case, he had an 'opt out' KHL contract ( he was RFA as far as the NHL went ) and then received an offer sheet from the Flames. Colorado matched but could have played hard ball with the waiver factor. As far as being 'too late' in the season to join the team, I'm really not sure. If Teves and Hughes can play with late signings, why not Tryamkin ?

Might be different for Entry Level Deals, all I know is Nylanders drop dead date was in December or he couldn't play this year, so we wait until someone can clarify.

17 minutes ago, gurn said:

Well he did miss 16 because he was grossly overweight and out of shape, so there is that.

He wasn't aware that training camp was so short here, because in Russia it's like a month long and that's where they get into shape. There was a disconnect in communication, that's all.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Western Red said:

He wasn't aware that training camp was so short here, because in Russia it's like a month long and that's where they get into shape. There was a disconnect in communication, that's all.

One other thing, if we do bring back Tram, qualify Goldy and if we got lucky and signed Panarin, we need to step up our game in this organization and either add a Russian coach to the coaching staff or some other improvement in our ability to manage the Russian players. We need to prevent further failures in communication, have someone who is fluent in Russian, or has loads of experience handling Russian players, and then those players know, this is the guy you go to before a problem gets out of hand.

20 minutes ago, aliboy said:

One other thing, if we do bring back Tram, qualify Goldy and if we got lucky and signed Panarin, we need to step up our game in this organization and either add a Russian coach to the coaching staff or some other improvement in our ability to manage the Russian players. We need to prevent further failures in communication, have someone who is fluent in Russian, or has loads of experience handling Russian players, and then those players know, this is the guy you go to before a problem gets out of hand.

Not sure about Goldobin but I'd definitely make an offer for Panarin.  Adding Panarin and Tryamkin basically for free in the offseason would be a huge step forward for this club, not to mention the addition of Hughes.  We are only 4 points out of a playoff spot with the team we have now, imagine adding those 3 players to the lineup without having to lose any assets?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, aliboy said:

To add a russian coach of sorts... This makes a lot of sense..   I generally can not think that players from Russia are “problems”...  but I definitely think there is a culture shock to North America, and unfortunately a language barrier for new or young players when they arrive.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I figured that that there may not have been much communicaiton but I'm happy to be wrong about that. Jim checking in regularly won't go unnoticed. 

Its pretty obvious that trying out  Nik again would solve some, not all, issues on the defence so it would be worth overpaying Nik by 1 mil so he can buy out his KHL deal. So at this point, what is Nik's market value? 

I was thinking just give him enough of a signing bonus that would cover the cost of his buyout. In any case I doubt he's going to come over next year based on the way his season ended. I could see him feeling like he has unfinished business after his team got bounced so early in the playoffs. Maybe if his team had won the championship he might have seen his time in the KHL as satisfied, but now I'm not so sure.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

just skimming over the CBA.... I dunno, it doesn't look that clear cut to me since he did go and sign a deal with a non-affiliated club. It looks to me like Bettman could allow it potentially. But I've been wrong on the CBA before. We need @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME to make a ruling. 

Honestly, I’m not sure, without going through the CBA a bit, which I don’t have time for today.

But I suspect the Dec 1 deadline (to file a contract with Central Registry) might apply for this season.

And potentially also waivers, as far a joining the NHL after being in the KHL in the same season (I think that part is in Article 13–like with O’Reilly and the Flames fiasco).

In any case, I doubt we see Tryamkin coming mid-season. If he comes back, the arrangement will almost certainly happen during the off season.

EDIT: actually, waivers shouldn’t be needed mid-season, with us already holding the rights.

EDIT2: and potentially the O’Reilly thing means that Tryamkin could come back this season, after mutually terminating contract, as O’Reilly came back in February after ending his KHL deal.

Sorry I can’t be more help. 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, aliboy said:

And that is the choice, the numbers you're talking would likely work, but we already have enough of a sample size, we've seen him play and now he has more professional experience. They are going to say, screw the bridge deal and no AHL and then we decide, I don't see it as being that much of a risk.

A bridge deal would be very much in Tryamkin's interest as well. He could very likely earn a much larger deal after it (likely something similar to what Myers is about to get). It also keeps his commitment low should he and/or his wife decide they still like Russia better.

If he doesn't want to risk a stint in the AHL, show up in shape and work hard. There's his AHL protection right there :)

On 3/23/2019 at 9:40 AM, Kootenay Gold said:

Biega's one way deal has nothing to do with whether he is better than Tryamkin or not. It has everything to do with compensating a player for his exceptional dedication, character and work ethic even though for many years he was a healthy scratch and sat out. Biega has that in spades and is an excellent role model for others around him. Tryamkin has not demonstrated those characteristics at all.

6m is a lot of money to pay Eriksson for his “characteristics” and being Petey’s BF..  But doubts he would go to bat for him.

I seem to recall Tryamkin swatting Yakapov around like a Nat for running Drew Shore.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 1

I believe Benning mentioned that they would address (improve) the D during the off-season. Maybe it's already in the works to have Tryamkin sign this off-season, and maybe Juolevi rehabs well and is ready by the fall? Possible Benning signs a UFA D as well. 

Edler - Tanev

Tryamkin - Hughes

Hutton - Stecher

Juolevi

• Upvote 1