The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

On 3/29/2019 at 10:37 AM, Hairy Kneel said:

So cool Try watched Hughes debut. He is in United Arab Emirates on vacay. 

IMG_20190329_102543.jpg

IMG_20190329_102305.jpg

IMG_20190329_101403.jpg

Do people actually think he took time out of his vacay to watch a meaningless Canucks game?  What's the time difference with UAE?

Looks like it would have been 7amish.  Not impossible, but why would he get up on vacay to watch a hockey game?

Edited by stawns
  • Wat 1

2 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

Our Sun is actually cool in temperature, and dim in brightness. It's also an averaged sized star out of the ones we've discovered. There are some stars out there that are millions of times bigger than ours, and some that are thousands of times smaller.

Stars come in a wide range of sizes and brightnesses, and there are a lot more small dim ones than large bright ones.

Nuxfanabroad an obvious statement is also saying Quinn Hughes had a great first game.

Thanks H2..but to quote Lionel Ritchie..You are the sun, you are the rain, & you've made this thread a foolish game(ya big galut!)

19 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

^Hey man, that's a snappy little number..my Missus is snoozin(might wake her up so we can dance to this!:^).

It's early morn here, I'll give this a proper listen when the sun is up..thanx

Yeh... she’s still tired from when we watched Quinn’s first game.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Do people actually think he took time out of his vacay to watch a meaningless Canucks game?  What's the time difference with UAE?

Looks like it would have been 7amish.  Not impossible, but why would he get up on vacay to watch a hockey game?

So now he's a liar too? 

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, stawns said:

Stawns,  he has been quoted here as saying he watches every Canucks game he can, has been all season.. much easier to do on vacation VS practice time or  game travel.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

Nice to see you back.  It seems you were away for a bit.:)

Going be hit/miss for a month or two more.   Never had a season like this for this part of my career.   Demand has been insane.   Good problem to have but not much free time.   Nice to see the progress Canucks made this year.   Surprised to see some still thinking this guy in Russia is part of the solution but who knows - he has some if not all the tools but I don't believe he is going to ever be mentally ready for it but happy to be proven wrong.  :)

Tryamkin has always left the door to Canucks open:

As more time passes, I think it's increasingly clear that Desjardins doesn't communicate with guys who somehow end up in his doghouse.  For example, in L.A.:

Kovalchuk would rather wear his uniform rather than a suit, a feeling echoed by Jonny Brodzinski, another forward that Desjardins has benched to mix things up and play younger players.

“But they’re not playing young guys,” Kovalchuk said. “They’re playing seven D.”

Desjardins has employed an 11-forward, seven-defensemen lineup three times in the past five games, and the Kings are 2-1 in that split. But it creates an awkward situation to bench a prideful Kovalchuk.

“After Willie came here, I don’t have a chance,” Kovalchuk said. “I play five, six minutes a game. A few games I play with Kopi. We did well. We score all five games, but then he decided to change and I never play again much. That’s the way he sees the situation. He’s the head coach and he’s responsible for results.”

Kovalchuk is on pace for 42pts, good for third among L.A. forwards.  Instead Desjardins goes with seven defensemen on the league's lowest scoring team.  Virtanen has also said that Desjardins rarely talked to him.  Remember the "stuff" fiasco?    

The Canucks recalled Virtanen from the AHL’s Utica Comets after just two games in mid-November. After sitting out as a healthy scratch for two games, Virtanen was once again on a plane bound for Utica. At the time, Canucks coach Willie Desjardins turned some heads with his explanation of Virtanen’s brief recall.

“We were on the road, and so I don’t think he had any of his stuff,” Desjardins said per The Province. “He needed to come back to get his stuff for us to kind of make a decision on where we’re going to go at with him. When you’re on the road you don’t have anything.

Asked about the whirlwind couple days, Virtanen says he was just following team orders. 

“Honestly, I was just doing what I was told,” Virtanen told THN on Saturday. “I wasn’t going to say much, but yeah, I didn’t play for a little bit there: two games on the road trip (against the Islanders and Rangers). Get sent down, play two games and then back to Vancouver, didn’t play and then sent back (to Utica).

“It’s just business and that’s just how things are going to work. I dunno exactly what (the plan is) they didn’t really communicate with me as much.” 

As for getting “his stuff”, Virtanen, Vancouver’s 2014 first-round selection, has no idea what his coach was talking about.

“I honestly have no idea, to be honest,” he said. “I actually still don’t understand that really.”

Desjardins loves the Derek Dorsetts of the world, guys who earn their spots through their work ethics and fighting spirit.  And players like Kovalchuk/ Virtanen/ Tryamkin can certainly learn from that.  But it seems like if you're not immediately a Jonathan Toews then Desjardins rather bench you until you "get it" instead of working with you.  A few months after Tryamkin left:

IE: The Canucks got better this summer.

NT: They did a great job. The coaching staff changed almost entirely. I hope that Travis Green will make a good job there.

IE: Is that the reason why you got back here?

NT: Many times I was left out. It was almost always me. I couldn’t understand why. I played well, and then at the end of the game I don’t get to play without an explanation. It was a bit strange.

IE: Vancouver is different from many other cities regarding fans. In Toronto, it’s quieter.

NT: I loved that in Vancouver. After a hit, or a shoot, the whole crowd goes “wow”.  And many other sounds. When I had a big hit and listened to the crowd, I could hear the adrenaline in my blood. There was a game where I had five or six hits, and after that fans started calling me “train” or “crusher”.

IE: Desdjardin said that if you could play like that every night, then you could become a top-pairing defenseman for any NHL team.

NT: Really? I need to ask him, then.

For all the hoopla around Tryamkin wanting more ice time, his main concern might've actually been the lack of direction from Desjardins.  It's one thing to not play as much as you'd like, it's another to not know why or how you can earn more time.  I think it's pretty obvious that Tryamkin didn't know what Desjardins was thinking, and perhaps he didn't want to spend key developmental years in an uncertain situation.  This is a guy who traveled to the draft combine even though he was not invited and was passed up the previous two years.  He came to development camp even though he barely knew any English.  He wanted to play in the NHL, but hockey is a short career and stagnating at any job is a terrible feeling.  However, he's expressed multiple times that he still follows the Canucks, so if the situation is right I don't see why he can't be brought back on a one or two year contract.  There's not a lot to lose but tons to gain for both sides.

I appreciate everything you have Quoted here GA.  ...  Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Tryamkin has always left the door to Canucks open:

Asked about the whirlwind couple days, Virtanen says he was just following team orders. 

“Honestly, I was just doing what I was told,” Virtanen told THN on Saturday. “I wasn’t going to say much, but yeah, I didn’t play for a little bit there: two games on the road trip (against the Islanders and Rangers). Get sent down, play two games and then back to Vancouver, didn’t play and then sent back (to Utica).

“It’s just business and that’s just how things are going to work. I dunno exactly what (the plan is) they didn’t really communicate with me as much.” 

As for getting “his stuff”, Virtanen, Vancouver’s 2014 first-round selection, has no idea what his coach was talking about.

“I honestly have no idea, to be honest,” he said. “I actually still don’t understand that really.”

Desjardins loves the Derek Dorsetts of the world, guys who earn their spots through their work ethics and fighting spirit.  And players like Kovalchuk/ Virtanen/ Tryamkin can certainly learn from that.  But it seems like if you're not immediately a Jonathan Toews then Desjardins rather bench you until you "get it" instead of working with you.  A few months after Tryamkin left:

Not a good example using Jake because

Apparently years later , Jake still doesn't understand that fans (and most likely coaches) want to see him drive to the front of the net and not be such a perimeter player, and get in the face of opposition players, he doesn't have to be a goon, just get involved and make yourself known

27 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Apparently years later , Jake still doesn't understand that fans (and most likely coaches) want to see him drive to the front of the net and not be such a perimeter player, and get in the face of opposition players, he doesn't have to be a goon, just get involved and make yourself known

The “kid”. Is working on his game..  everyone wants a McDavid.   

The player we all want to see out of Jake is coming,  his game is tested by bigger stronger “men” or dicks like Getzlaf.. He is working through that.  26-30 will be prime years for Jake in this new League.

Just wanted to show that Desjardins still has an “air” of adversity to his communication with players in the NHL..

and that Tryamkin has been watching our team all season..  really hope he arrives sooner than later,. Him and Schenn would look good shared on 1-2 pairings.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, ba;;isticsports said:

The problem with Desjardins is that it's a teacher's job to teach, it's a student's job to learn.  Even when the student isn't taking it all in, it's still the teacher's job to teach.  You can't just walk out the door and put on a movie because your students aren't doing what you want. For example:

Jake Virtanen constantly hears from Travis Green. The Vancouver Canucks winger may not always like the tone that can be both critical and caring, but he knows where he stands.

There’s no time for his mind to wander or wondering why his game has faltered in a physical sense because it’s drilled home in every on or off-ice session. That didn’t happen with Willie Desjardins. The coach and player rarely conversed.

“Greener talks to me almost every day, whether I’m skating well or playing bad,” Virtanen said Tuesday following an optional game-day skate. “It’s good to have an honest coach. If you’re not playing well and you’re not getting told anything, you don’t want to keep playing the same way.

Unless Desjardins has secret telepathic abilities, what was he teaching?  Virtanen didn't even know why he was being sent down or called up.  Now, some of what happened with Virtanen/ Tryamkin/ Kovalchuk are absolutely on them.  There's a common theme here -- they're all flawed characters.  But you're never going to get 23 Bo Horvats on your team.  I can coach Bo Horvat.  A young Ovechkin and a young Doughty were a handful to deal with.  They were not model citizens who came in and did all the little things and worked hard in all three zones.  That's why their coaches got paid seven figures while I dole out my opinion for free on an internet forum. 

If a player isn't doing everything asked of him consistently, the solution isn't just bench him and call it a day.  Tryamkin seemed surprised that Desjardins said he could be a top pairing D if he played a certain way.  Now, if you frame the ice time discussion as -- if you keep doing X and limit doing Y, you'll see your ice time go up -- then the player may be willing to stick it out because they know they can work towards more TOI.  But if you frame it more like -- you don't deserve the time yet and I don't really trust you so you're just going to have to wait -- that's an entirely different feeling.

Desjardins gets so stuck on doing things a certain way that some of his decisions were simply nonsensical.  Look at this deployment:

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/with-canucks-down-by-one-dorsett-plays-more-than-the-sedins-1.213671

Part of the reason may be who is on the ice: Derek Dorsett plays more than any other Canucks forward when the Canucks are down by a goal.

Turns out it’s true. When the Canucks are trailing by one goal, Derek Dorsett has played 94:50 this season at 5-on-5. Daniel Sedin has played 93:47.

When the Canucks are behind and looking for a goal, Dorsett has played over a minute more than the Canucks’ leading scorer who is currently 6th in the NHL in points.

It gets worse when you consider games played. On McCurdy’s graph, the y-axis is percentage of available ice time, so it takes into account how often the Canucks have trailed by one goal in games that forward has played.

If you look at percentage of available ice time, Brandon Prust leads the Canucks when they’re down by one.

Edited by GoldenAlien
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, GoldenAlien said:

The problem with Desjardins is that it's a teacher's job to teach, it's a student's job to learn.  Even when the student isn't taking it all in, it's still the teacher's job to teach.  You can't just walk out the door and put on a movie because your students aren't doing what you want. For example:

Unless Desjardins has secret telepathic abilities, what was he teaching?  Virtanen didn't even know why he was being sent down or called up.  Now, some of what happened with Virtanen/ Tryamkin/ Kovalchuk are absolutely on them.  There's a common theme here -- they're all flawed characters.  But you're never going to get 23 Bo Horvats on your team.  I can coach Bo Horvat.  A young Ovechkin and a young Doughty were a handful to deal with.  They were not model citizens who came in and did all the little things and worked hard in all three zones.  That's why their coaches got paid seven figures while I dole out my opinion for free on an internet forum. 

If a player isn't doing everything asked of him consistently, the solution isn't just bench him and call it a day.  Tryamkin seemed surprised that Desjardins said he could be a top pairing D if he played a certain way.  Now, if you frame the ice time discussion as -- if you keep doing X and limit doing Y, you'll see your ice time go up -- then the player may be willing to stick it out because they know they can work towards more TOI.  But if you frame it more like -- you don't deserve the time yet and I don't really trust you so you're just going to have to wait -- that's an entirely different feeling.

Desjardins gets so stuck on doing things a certain way that some of his decisions were simply nonsensical.  Look at this deployment:

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/with-canucks-down-by-one-dorsett-plays-more-than-the-sedins-1.213671

Everything your pointing to gives us the reasons for Desjardins firing,. I remember the perplexed looks on Benning in the Brass Box when WD would throw certain guys out in situational play,. He even seemed to be questioning Linden on Desjardins reasoning.

Whom, I beleive Linden tried to protect.

its important in Sports and Buisness to recognize what is doing you more harm than good.. There are times you need to make pragmatic decisions on side with the right one.

Its unfortunate that we lost Tryamkin for this time, for his own reasoning..

but there is an opportunity here that I hope Benning explains well to Nik, and tries to get him back in a Canuck Jersey sooner than later. 

6 hours ago, SilentSam said:

The “kid”. Is working on his game..  everyone wants a McDavid.   

The player we all want to see out of Jake is coming,  his game is tested by bigger stronger “men” or dicks like Getzlaf.. He is working through that.  26-30 will be prime years for Jake in this new League.

Just wanted to show that Desjardins still has an “air” of adversity to his communication with players in the NHL..

and that Tryamkin has been watching our team all season..  really hope he arrives sooner than later,. Him and Schenn would look good shared on 1-2 pairings.

I get people saying he will come around,(Maybe he will come contract renewal) but why do guys like Ferland and any Tzachuk and others not need excuses to have a presence at younger ages?

Jake didn't have a problem being a bully to smaller kids than him in Jr

Like the school bully when confronted, will back down, when stronger in the NHL

Why do we have to make excuses for Jake?

No one is expecting him to be a McDavid, Just quit skating around the perimeter, shooting from the side, get in front, and get in peoples faces (like Schenn  somewhat)

Make people know your out there

He did say at the beginning of the year , he wanted people to hate playing against him, time to back it up with more than words

Edited by ba;;isticsports
  • Upvote 1