The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

16 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I have a harder time believing that Ristolainen would be available, at least for a price that would make sense for us, but I do think Ceci would be a reasonable add. Carolina's D will be harder to pry as they were looking for a Nylander (pre-ridiculous contract) return.

Yeah, just spit-balling. I do think there's options out there, though. None (of any half decent quality - which we need) are going to be 'cheap'.

Edited by aGENT

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, just spit-balling. I do think there's options out there, though. None (of any half decent quality - which we need) are going to be 'cheap'.

The question is what are we willing to give up if we want to make it happen and if the other teams see it as enough value to give up a piece that fills our needs. We certainly would have to give up value and I would love to add Risto, but I can't really pinpoint what they would be looking for to take them to the next level. Ceci just seems more likely as Ottawa might not want to pay him and we can offer cheaper replaceable options.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

The question is what are we willing to give up if we want to make it happen and if the other teams see it as enough value to give up a piece that fills our needs. We certainly would have to give up value and I would love to add Risto, but I can't really pinpoint what they would be looking for to take them to the next level. Ceci just seems more likely as Ottawa might not want to pay him and we can offer cheaper replaceable options.

Yup. I see one of the goalies, Hutton, Tanev (retention?), Sutter(retention?), Baer as our likeliest and bigger pieces in play.

21 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup. I see one of the goalies, Hutton, Tanev (retention?), Sutter(retention?), Baer as our likeliest and bigger pieces in play.

Unfortunately 3 injury riddled players, a mediocre top 4 dman, and a couple of decent goalies isn't a lot to work with.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, stawns said:

watching the Jets game right now, why wouldnt fans want Tyler Myers on their team?  He's a force so far, exactly what the Canucks are missing.

He's more of a 3-4 and has less of what Edler brings to the table but most importantly he's going to want decent money, $6 million + on the open market in a time where Luongo isn't even sure if Florida will play him next year and his near $8 million cap recapture is hanging over us and Boeser, Petterson etc will need money over the next 3 seasons.

Far too many variables right now for wanting to pay what Myers will command imo

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm not suggesting we're trading for Heiskanen.

I don't see Buffalo being interested in any of that for Risto. Ceci might be had for a Hutton, but they have an abundance of LD coming up as well, so they will be looking to shed cap if they are moving Ceci rather than take more on and they want young players. I wouldn't move Demko for Ceci.

13 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

He's more of a 3-4 and has less of what Edler brings to the table but most importantly he's going to want decent money, $6 million + on the open market in a time where Luongo isn't even sure if Florida will play him next year and his near $8 million cap recapture is hanging over us and Boeser, Petterson etc will need money over the next 3 seasons.

Far too many variables right now for wanting to pay what Myers will command imo

They'll bury Lu on ltir, that's not a factor, imo.  He's a 3-4 on a deep jets team, he's a 1-2 on the Canucks and brings size and attitude to a lineup sorely lacking in it.  The Canucks aren't in cap trouble for a few years, at least and are desperate for help on the right side.  The options for a top 3 rhd are very, very limited......if the Canucks miss the boat on a UFA rhd they're in trouble again next year.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Unfortunately 3 injury riddled players, a mediocre top 4 dman, and a couple of decent goalies isn't a lot to work with.

I just don't see the trade route as a viable option to get a legit top 4 rhd.......they don't have the assets to get that done, imo.

14 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I don't see Buffalo being interested in any of that for Risto. Ceci might be had for a Hutton, but they have an abundance of LD coming up as well, so they will be looking to shed cap if they are moving Ceci rather than take more on and they want young players. I wouldn't move Demko for Ceci.

I think BUF would have plenty interest in Markstrom, possibly some in Hutton and perhaps some interest in Baer or Leivo (obviously not as main pieces).

(Demko was actually suggested by @SabreFan1 who I presume knows better than either of us what BUF might want FWIW).

As you point out, Ceci could be had though we might also have to move some 'B' prospects if there is a fit there.

And CAR would likely have interest in Demko or Markstrom and (again, not main pieces) perhaps Baer, Goldobin, Leivo etc depending on what happens with all their pending FA forwards.

NYI's are also a possibility IMO as they're in a contending window and could be losing some FA forwards this summer as well. A goalie or Tanev or Sutter or Hutton or a Baer/Leivo (or some combination of all) could all be players of varying attractiveness, perhaps for one of their D prospects.

Edited by aGENT

22 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think BUF would have plenty interest in Markstrom, possibly some in Hutton and perhaps some interest in Baer or Leivo (obviously not as main pieces).

(Demko was actually suggested by @SabreFan1 who I presume knows better than either of us what BUF might want FWIW).

Markstrom had a good second half a year last season after starting out terribly.  CDC is banging on his drums way too much right now.  Nobody knows which goalie we'll see next year.  The poor one or the much better one.

The Sabres already have their own versions of Baer and Leivo in the pipeline.

As for Demko, as I've said before, what I say has to be taken with a grain of salt since I've been a Demko fanboy since before he was drafted.  I have no idea what Botterill and his scouts think of him and what value they consider him at.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Markstrom had a good second half a year last season after starting out terribly.  CDC is banging on his drums way too much right now.  Nobody knows which goalie we'll see next year.  The poor one or the much better one.

This is exactly what I'm trying to point out. We have no idea if Markstrom is consistent yet. We also don't know if Demko will be a legit starter in the near future. We don't know where these two guys will be in two years or if either will draw interest in a expansion draft. If they are as good as projected, then we will make the right moves then, but until then these guys simply don't have the value to make it worth moving them prematurely.

51 minutes ago, stawns said:

I just don't see the trade route as a viable option to get a legit top 4 rhd.......they don't have the assets to get that done, imo.

I think we do have assets to get a top 4 RHD, but we have to be willing to move more value beyond what is simply "expendable" to us. The better the player we are trying to target, the more it'll cost. Personally I think Ceci could be had, but we will have to move some prospects/picks. But of course people will be opposed to this because it doesn't fit into a simplified rebuild plan.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Clarke seems pretty convinced on Marky FWIW.

Yes, there are concerns about term and compensation, but Markstrom checks off the team’s biggest box and if you’re wondering if this season has been a one-off, here’s our pal Clark to set you straight.

“I would expect him to hit the ground running next year,” Clark said. “What we’ve seen these last four months is what our expectation should be and, frankly, what his expectation should be of himself.”

Clark added there was a moment in November when Markstrom struggled with the changes made to his game. If he was going to revert to his former self, that would have been the time; but Clark saw a different goalie in December.

So did the rest of the NHL.

“To see it unfold under pressure and under duress, you know he’s taken that step. It’s one thing to do it in a predictable, low-risk environment (practice). But it’s another thing to do it in the jungle of the game, in front of 20,000 people and with all that pressure. It takes courage to cross that bridge, and that’s a big credit to Jacob.”

9 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

The Sabres already have their own versions of Baer and Leivo in the pipeline.

As for Demko, as I've said before, what I say has to be taken with a grain of salt since I've been a Demko fanboy since before he was drafted.  I have no idea what Botterill and his scouts think of him and what value they consider him at.

Not saying they don't (and again, I'm not suggesting they'd be the key pieces in a trade) but it doesn't hurt to have more bullets in your gun, if nothing else to push 'your own 'versions'. From my understanding, they need/want more top 9 W'ers, (especially with Pommer and Skinner both likely leaving). Both those guys would fit that criteria.

12 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

And fair enough. Though I'd say you're a 'fanboy' for good reason ;)

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

As you point out, Ceci could be had though we might also have to move some 'B' prospects if there is a fit there.

And CAR would likely have interest in Demko or Markstrom and (again, not main pieces) perhaps Baer, Goldobin, Leivo etc depending on what happens with all their pending FA forwards.

NYI's are also a possibility IMO as they're in a contending window and could be losing some FA forwards this summer as well. A goalie or Tanev or Sutter or Hutton or a Baer/Leivo (or some combination of all) could all be players of varying attractiveness, perhaps for one of their D prospects.

I just feel like if Buffalo is looking for goalie potential, then they have that in Lekkonnen already. If they want a goalie now, then Markstrom does fit that bill, but I don't feel we are in a position to be moving Markstrom just yet. They might have some interest in Hutton, but with Dahlin and Scandella, he might be a "bottom pairing" guy for them (and a more pricey one compared to what they have already), so he would be a periphery in any deal involving Risto.

I do think Ceci would be our best option on terms of what we would have to give up to acquire him and fits our age group.

I'm not sure what RD from Carolina we would want. Hamilton leaves a lot to be desired and will likely be pricey based on what they gave up for him. Faulk doesn't quite fit our age group and Pesce clearly has a high price tag as well based on what they were looking to acquire and clearly couldn't make a deal happen with Toronto who would have more to give up.

NYI will likely resign Lehner and even Friess has fit their system and both goalies will likely not cost much for them to extend. Plus two of their current RD are over 35, so they likely needs their RD prospects.

I'd say to stay away from Ceci. A couple of my friends are big Sens fans and they all say he is constantly their worst defender. Plus in his last arbitration he was asking for $6m.

At that price and what it would cost to acquire him, we're better off going in another direction. 

Edited by Lonny_Bohonos_14
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Lonny_Bohonos_14 said:

I'd say to star away from Ceci. A couple of my friends are big Sens fans and they all say he is constantly their worst defender. Plus in his last arbitration he was asking for $6m.

At that price and what it would cost to acquire him, we're better off going in another direction. 

I've heard the same. Basically Ceci was the Gudbranson in Ottawa, without the size, and face-punching.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I think we do have assets to get a top 4 RHD, but we have to be willing to move more value beyond what is simply "expendable" to us. The better the player we are trying to target, the more it'll cost. Personally I think Ceci could be had, but we will have to move some prospects/picks. But of course people will be opposed to this because it doesn't fit into a simplified rebuild plan.

They have the pieces to do it (boes and Jake being the main pieces), but is the juice worth the squeeze on that one?  Using one of those as a chip just creates a hole that needs to be filled as a result.  The don't, yet, have the depth to lose a significant fwd, imo.

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

They have the pieces to do it (boes and Jake being the main pieces), but is the juice worth the squeeze on that one?  Using one of those as a chip just creates a hole that needs to be filled as a result.  The don't, yet, have the depth to lose a significant fwd, imo.

I think it depends on who you're looking at. I think we have the pieces without giving up our top talent for a top 4 guy not a top pairing guy. I'm not saying we go and do it, but I think a Ceci could be had for much cheaper considering they likely don't want to pay him.

• Cheers 1