The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Well I'd imagine a couple of Tanev, Hutton etc could be moved at some point and there's no guarantee Rafferty, Teves, Brisebois etc are even making the club (let alone in top 4 roles). But I'd wager we're also looking at at least one UFA/trade as well. But guys like Woo and Rathbone could also be pushing by then, on top of your list. 

It's certainly not going to get less crowded. He might be hard pressed to make 2nd pair in that scenario.

On a positive note, having too many top 4D is a pretty good problem to have and could allow us to fill holes elsewhere.

I personally don't think Hutton will or should be moved. He showed not only improvement but a lot of character this season. He's the right age to mature and be a leader on this team when it starts to contend as well. Plus I don't think the Canucks have the depth to move a defenseman for the next few years unless they're getting a defenseman back that's a prospect. 

Woo likely won't be pushing until 2021 at the earliest since he still has another year of junior and likely one year in the AHL.  

There's absolutely no guarantee on Rafferty, Teves, Brisebois etc. but will Tryamkin have an edge on them if he comes to training camp and pre-season in 2020? I honestly don't think so. If anything I think Rafferty has an edge because he's right handed and he certainly didn't look too out of place when he played this year. I can see Rafferty starting in Utica next year, being the first call up and then sticking from there just like Troy Stetcher. 

3 minutes ago, OneSeventeen said:

Plus I don't think the Canucks have the depth to move a defenseman for the next few years unless they're getting a defenseman back that's a prospect. 

We do have a lot of left D depth though. I'd move/package him exactly for a right D.

3 minutes ago, OneSeventeen said:

If anything I think Rafferty has an edge because he's right handed

Tryamkin plays right side FWIW.

If I'm Tryamkins agent I'd point out that there may be a Rafferty effect come this September. His, Tryamkin, asset value may decline, assuming that his agent is up to date. On the flip side of the coin may be this is managements time to push for a contract.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

No, not true, Desjardins did everything to keep him off the ice or throttle his minutes until the season was near over.  Course Desjardins had all kinds of time for Vey, Chabot, etc.  Desjardins was LAs way of invisibly tanking.

Yes. True.

I was referring to the plan to send him to Utica where he would have had lots of minutes to work on his deficiencies.

I really like Try a lot, but at this point I can’t see any of his actions or attitudes as anything but thinking higher of himself than he had garnered.

I think the person with the biggest incentive to bring back Tryamkin this next season is Jim Benning. There will be a lot more pressure for the Canucks to have a turnaround season for their 50th year, and both the coach and GM will be assessed more thoroughly this season. The defense is still the sore spot on this team, and so is the softness of the team roster. Tryamkin offers a ton of exactly what the Canucks need, and the possibility of an immediate presence in October is worth a generous signing bonus to help buy out the final KHL contract year.

Edited by Slegr
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Slegr said:

I think the person with the biggest incentive to bring back Tryamkin this next season is Jim Benning. There will be a lot more pressure for the Canucks to have a turnaround season for their 50th year, and both the coach and GM will be assessed more thoroughly this season. The defense is still the sore spot on this team, and so is the softness of the team roster. Tryamkin offers a ton of exactly what the Canucks need, and the possibility of an immediate presence in October is worth a generous signing bonus to help buy out the final KHL contract year.

By who? Management or the fanbase?

55 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

By who? Management or the fanbase?

Management.

There are more possibilities as to what benning can do this offseason than in any of the previous years in his tenure. Cap space, a young emerging core has made Vancouver more attractive for free agents again. We have more assets to potentially trade than before. 

This will be a critical season coming up. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Kushman said:

Management.

There are more possibilities as to what benning can do this offseason than in any of the previous years in his tenure. Cap space, a young emerging core has made Vancouver more attractive for free agents again. We have more assets to potentially trade than before. 

This will be a critical season coming up. 

But to utilize all of that would be "expediting the rebuild", no? Is that what management wants? It certainly doesn't seem to be what a lot of the vocal fanbase wants (eg stay the course, build through the draft, worry about the cap space when Pettersson needs to be extended, etc). It looks like Benning is in another no-win situation again because no matter what he decides to do, there will be opposition and even if he's in the middle, he'll be called indecisive and has no direction.

Personally if he does attempt a push (utilizing what you've brought up), I don't think that means the rebuild is over. It is to see what we have in the guys we have who look like they want to win. If he chooses to stay the course this offseason, then he simply feels the team isn't quite ready yet. Whatever decision is made though, I don't see this being the make or break year for management to be deciding Green or Benning's fate. I think Benning will have until the end of his contract at the very least to see through some of his vision and as long as the team continues to progress with Green, then he's safe as well.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

But to utilize all of that would be "expediting the rebuild", no? Is that what management wants? It certainly doesn't seem to be what a lot of the vocal fanbase wants (eg stay the course, build through the draft, worry about the cap space when Pettersson needs to be extended, etc). It looks like Benning is in another no-win situation again because no matter what he decides to do, there will be opposition and even if he's in the middle, he'll be called indecisive and has no direction.

Personally if he does attempt a push (utilizing what you've brought up), I don't think that means the rebuild is over. It is to see what we have in the guys we have who look like they want to win. If he chooses to stay the course this offseason, then he simply feels the team isn't quite ready yet. Whatever decision is made though, I don't see this being the make or break year for management to be deciding Green or Benning's fate. I think Benning will have until the end of his contract at the very least to see through some of his vision and as long as the team continues to progress with Green, then he's safe as well.

This coming year is the end of Bennings current contract.

2 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

The Canucks have officially announced that they have re-signed Jim Benning to a multi-year contract extension. According to Elliotte Friedman, it appears that it’s a three-year extension ending after the 2020-21 season.

This coming year is the 2019-20 season.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

The Canucks have officially announced that they have re-signed Jim Benning to a multi-year contract extension. According to Elliotte Friedman, it appears that it’s a three-year extension ending after the 2020-21 season.

In this current end of year press conference I'm almost 100% certain Benning himself said this year was his last year under contract. I'll see if I can find it. Edit, it's at 5:14 on this video. 

Edited by Zhukini
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

In this current end of year press conference I'm almost 100% certain Benning himself said this year was his last year under contract. I'll see if I can find it. Edit, it's at 5:14 on this video. 

Interesting if true and certainly would change the outlook of next season. If management wants him to make the playoffs this coming year to determine if he will be extended, then we may see some interesting moves this off season. Weird how there's some discrepancy from what Benning is saying to what was reported though, so perhaps depending on how the question was asked (I couldn't quite hear it), maybe he was asked if he has one more year on his contract after next season? If he was asked if next season was his last, wouldn't he have responded that next year is the last on his contract?

I can't seem to find any more information other than reports suggesting a multi-year deal (which could mean only 2 years) has been signed.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Zhukini said:

59 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

IIRC the 20/21 year is an 'option' year.

I'd imagine short of him crapping the bed this summer the option gets exercised. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

IIRC the 20/21 year is an 'option' year.

I'd imagine short of him crapping the bed this summer the option gets exercised. 

That's what I thought initially too but then he said he would like to ideally extend his contract this summer to extend beyond next year so who knows. 

I think it's time for JB to work some sedinery here. A big d man before the draft could be a great addition. Even if it's after March, when Trys contract ends. I'm sure Avto knows this too. So if they can possibly come up with an agreement of some sort, that could be cool. If Try buys out the remaining year then allowing him to come to camp, JB can put his efforts elsewhere on the roster. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think it's time for JB to work some sedinery here. A big d man before the draft could be a great addition. Even if it's after March, when Trys contract ends. I'm sure Avto knows this too. So if they can possibly come up with an agreement of some sort, that could be cool. If Try buys out the remaining year then allowing him to come to camp, JB can put his efforts elsewhere on the roster. 

Perhaps Benning has put positive pressure on himself by publicly stating “the Defence will be addressed this Summer”.

We know Benning is a huge Tryamkin fan..   time for some FaceTime ;) 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I think this sums up are feelings for Nikita 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

this is what I'd really like to see.. get him back here asap so we can focus on wingers.. And if he doesn't pan out, at least we know & can move on sooner rather than later. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

If the Canucks sign him and bring him in after his KHL  season ends next year, does he have to clear waivers to play?  If so, that could be roadblock to bringing him in at that time.

I don’t believe so, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME would know for sure.