The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

5 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

By the time Try returns, Quinn will be 2nd pairingB)

It’s going to be an interesting Summer regarding our D core.   I really want to see Schenn Re-sign.  Could be he is really a late bloomer.

He played so well for us.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I don't get why all the talk since Benning's interview, even from his agent, has been about signing Tryamkin a year from now and having him come in the following training camp.  Why can't we sign him at the end of his KHL season next April or March, then if we do happen to qualify for the playoffs, have him available to play then?  That's where he's going to do the most damage and be the most helpful to this team by far!  BTW, this is also why, if  there's any choice between signing Gardiner and Myers this summer, it's gotta be Myers.  Our D is already too small and way too soft as it is.  Myers may not be overly physical, but he's got great size and can play physical enough.  We just don't need another softie taking up a long-term spot on D.  Because if we don't resign Schenn this summer, we'll have almost nothing for size and physicality on D!

11 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I don't get why all the talk since Benning's interview, even from his agent, has been about signing Tryamkin a year from now and having him come in the following training camp.  Why can't we sign him at the end of his KHL season next April or March, then if we do happen to qualify for the playoffs, have him available to play then?  That's where he's going to do the most damage and be the most helpful to this team by far!  BTW, this is also why, if  there's any choice between signing Gardiner and Myers this summer, it's gotta be Myers.  Our D is already too small and way too soft as it is.  Myers may not be overly physical, but he's got great size and can play physical enough.  We just don't need another softie taking up a long-term spot on D.  Because if we don't resign Schenn this summer, we'll have almost nothing for size and physicality on D!

The fact that Benning is talking to Tryamkin's agent does not get me overly excited. He is an asset that has value whether he plays for Vancouver or is possibly traded to another team who is interested. There will be a day of reckoning as his UFA status gets closer. 

While I hope Tryamkin gives Vancouver another try I consider his time in the KHL a set back to a possible NHL career. Many here repeatedly mention about how well he played while here. I won't argue that he showed flashes but remember that his season here was another brutal season of injuries on the d-core. Tryamkin's TOI went up towards the end of the season as defencemen went down. I thought he held the line well in the o-zone and yes made some nice hits. Canucks are hurting for some size and physicality on their d-core so Tryamkin is a tantalizing prospect. My concern is his reaction time on coverage in the d-zone as it was his biggest weakness. That assessment has to be considered in light that the whole group struggled.    

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Benning made the following statement regarding the defense a little while back in an article written by Patrick Johnston regarding Tryamkin:

“We see the size and strength of St. Louis’s defence; we think he could be a big part of our group,” Benning added

I'm thinking that Benning would like to surround the likes of Hughes and Stecher with defensemen who are larger and more physical. Juolevi, while a larger player, could also benefit from being paired with a defenseman who will step in to stand up for him. That being said, if he could find or lure back defensemen who combine the size and toughness with some mobility and IQ, that would be perfect.

I don't see Hutton coming back at all, and can see a situation where Edler tests free agency too. If his sticking point is an NMC, I'm fine with the team moving on from him.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Just posting this for schlitz & giggles...

to my calculations 900 million rubles converts to 13,851,000.00 usd.

An extra 400 Rubles if they will go on the roof of the Chernobyl reactor and push off some of the radioactive graphite for 90 seconds though, so there are always bonuses. 

• Haha 4

36 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I find it amazing the amount of negative judgement still held on this young man taken from a rookie season of 60 games, in a new league, in a new country, with a foreign language.

What Tryamkin showed in his first season here was overwhelmingly positive.

QFT!  Failing to have him here after his first full season in the NHL on a long term contract was the result of management and coaching issues when dealing with him, not with Tryamkin himself.     

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Hockey God said:

QFT!  Failing to have him here after his first full season in the NHL on a long term contract was the result of management and coaching issues when dealing with him, not with Tryamkin himself.     

Unless people were actually around to hear all the interactions between said parties, there is no way of knowing why Tryamkin decided to return to Russia.  Basing facts on snippets of conversations and rumours will usually falsify one's judgement.

But I do think everyone in Vancouver needs to stop smoking pot if/when Try returns:gocan:

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Their contracts must be similar to the NHL. Our contracts run until June 30 so no matter when that player finishes playing for the year no other team can talk to them.  

5 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I find it amazing the amount of negative judgement still held on this young man taken from a rookie season of 60 games, in a new league, in a new country, with a foreign language.

He was handcuffed by a disastrous Coach who’s only option was to play Tryamkin due to injuries.

Contrary to what Benning wanted, that being Development.

Thus the Coach was fired before his contract was finished,.  But it should have happened the Christmas before.

What Tryamkin did show was that he deserved better, 

this whole AHL stint/refusal was a sham designed by Desjardins to create a respect on demand.

Desjardins forced managements hand with out of shape comments.. that laundry would never have been aired by a true professional.

Good to see WD is back in non professional Junior Hockey.. screaming his lungs out at kids who play only for a Dream.

.. back to the level he knows best.

Hopefully his future is somewhere in Siberia.

To further this, although I think Tryamkin should've been more of a team player and accepted a brief stint in Utica back then, his talent was undeniable and he certainly deserved more ice time than the inept, now run out of the league, Desjardins gave to him. The thing that everyone misses with BFG is that his skill set is far more suited to the NHL game than the KHL. His stats in the KHL were never going to be that amazing as he isn't an offensive guy and smaller guys do better on the international ice. The smaller ice surface lends itself to a big man like Nikita with a great wingspan and powerful stride. I remember watching him and thinking that the other team had no chance to score when he was on the ice. Looking at the statistics from that year, the team was terrible and his +/- was far better than most other defenceman on the team. I think he would be a very valuable asset to the team moving forward and is almost an ideal bottom pair defenceman. If he's able to up his physical game he will be a major force in the league. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Aladeen said:

An extra 400 Rubles if they will go on the roof of the Chernobyl reactor and push off some of the radioactive graphite for 90 seconds though, so there are always bonuses. 

Don't look over the railing!

20 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Just posting this for schlitz & giggles...

to my calculations 900 million rubles converts to 13,851,000.00 usd.

Something interesting to consider is that if the new salary cap for KHL Teams is aprx. 14m usd,.   ...

I wonder what Pavel Datsyuk is signing for with Avtomobilist (Tryamkins Team), and how much money is available to sign the players left that they want?   

Each KHL Team has 25 players on its active roster, and 10 additional players with an affiliate club... makes you wonder how far 14m usd (900m rubles) will go in the KHL.

Perhaps a mutual agreement could be reached between Tryamkin and Avtomobilist to mutually cancel his contract if it frees them up around 1m bucks,. Or gives them back with an agreed buyout option?

any thoughts @Hairy Kneel?  ...any body?

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Something interesting to consider is that if the new salary cap for KHL Teams is aprx. 14m usd,.   ...

I wonder what Pavel Datsyuk is signing for with Avtomobilist (Tryamkins Team), and how much money is available to sign the players left that they want?   

Each KHL Team has 25 players on its active roster, and 10 additional players with an affiliate club... makes you wonder how far 14m usd (900m rubles) will go in the KHL.

Perhaps a mutual agreement could be reached between Tryamkin and Avtomobilist to mutually cancel his contract if it frees them up around 1m bucks,. Or gives them back with an agreed buyout option?

That's a good question

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, SilentSam said:

The KHL definitely allows for mutual termination of contracts.

I believe this can go down in three ways: 1) the club can buy the player out; 2) the player and club can agree to just end the contract, without a payout; or 3) the player can buy himself out, which, unless otherwise stipulated, requires the player paying 2/3 of his remaining salary.

Players can also have clauses written into contracts that allow them to opt out under certain circumstances (like say an NHL offer), or set a more favourable amount (ie: something less than 2/3 remaining salary) for a player elected buyout.

I have no source on any of this. This is just what I’ve picked up over the years from various discussions.

But contract terminations definitely happen in the KHL. Wojtek Wolski with Metallurg and Matt Frattin with Barys are two recent examples.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

The KHL definitely allows for mutual termination of contracts.

I believe this can go down in three ways: 1) the club can buy the player out; 2) the player and club can agree to just end the contract, without a payout; or 3) the player can buy himself out, which, unless otherwise stipulated, requires the player paying 2/3 of his remaining salary.

Players can also have clauses written into contracts that allow them to opt out under certain circumstances (like say an NHL offer), or set a more favourable amount (ie: something less than 2/3 remaining salary) for a player elected buyout.

I have no source on any of this. This is just what I’ve picked up over the years from various discussions.

But contract terminations definitely happen in the KHL. Wojtek Wolski with Metallurg and Matt Frattin with Barys are two recent examples.

Diamond should talk to Wojtek Wolski with Metallurg and Matt Frattin with Barys  agents to see if there was a way. 

My feeling is though that Try will honor his contract because its his home town. But JB should have him ear marked for a contract by Dec so he can play in April/March at the end of the season.

17 hours ago, SilentSam said:

He was handcuffed by a disastrous Coach who’s only option was to play Tryamkin due to injuries.

Contrary to what Benning wanted, that being Development.

Thus the Coach was fired before his contract was finished,.  But it should have happened the Christmas before.

What Tryamkin did show was that he deserved better, 

this whole AHL stint/refusal was a sham designed by Desjardins to create a respect on demand.

Desjardins forced managements hand with out of shape comments.. that laundry would never have been aired by a true professional.

Good to see WD is back in non professional Junior Hockey.. screaming his lungs out at kids who play only for a Dream.

.. back to the level he knows best.

Hopefully his future is somewhere in Siberia.

Sorry Sam but I think you are exaggerating Desjardin's treatment of Tryamkin to make your point. If anything Desjardin's coaching record shows that he was inclined to shelter players in their development rather than deliberately sabotage their progress. Like any young player Tryamkin wanted more ice time, they all do. Bottom line was that his TOI average 16 minutes and by year end he was playing 20. Tryamkin might not have liked his usage in the Canuck playbook but as a rookie I do not think it was as bad as you suggest.

If he comes back he will have Green as his coach and still have a learning curve to be competitive at the NHL level. We all saw how Green was capable of demanding a better game from Hutton. If he has to do the same thing with Tryamkin does he 'pull his punches' to placate a over sensitive Russian?  

• Upvote 4