The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

14 hours ago, reyezone said:

So you’re not willing to bet against him becoming a top 4 in subsequent years? 

I don't personally see it in him.   That's all.   Doesn't mean I am not pulling for the big guy.   I am pulling for Sautner too but doesn't mean I think he is a Norris candidate in training.    

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I don't personally see it in him.   That's all.   Doesn't mean I am not pulling for the big guy.   I am pulling for Sautner too but doesn't mean I think he is a Norris candidate in training.    

I'm with you.

If he comes back Tryamkin will be an important part of this team.  But I don't for a second think he will be any more than a complementary player.

13 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

I'm with you.

If he comes back Tryamkin will be an important part of this team.  But I don't for a second think he will be any more than a complementary player.

I wonder if this was the same type of expectations/speculative, that had Cam Neely heading for the East Coast for a “wash tub” in Peter Mcnab?

Think about that for a minute.

Is the speculation you 2 are giving,. The same type that management of the Canucks had when Neely was here?..

That speculation moving a player before his potential was reached.. before real opportunity was given.. 

I don’t expect him to load up points..  But shutting down and frustrating some this leagues best power power forwards should amount to something more than an attaboy.

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I wonder if this was the same type of expectations/speculative, that had Cam Neely...

I don’t expect him to load up points..  But shutting down and frustrating some this leagues best power power forwards should amount to something more than an attaboy.

First, Cam Neely is a pretty extreme example which will never fit in the same sentence.  But I get your point.

Of course, nobody can know for sure how a prospect may turn out. Sometimes the potential is misread and we would be foolish to claim we know for certain.  That's why we speculating - as fans of the game and the team.  And in that speculation some (many?) of us don't believe we see enough in Tryamkin to believe he is likely to be highly adept at anything other than playing a highly physical game. So far, I feel his play both in the NHL and KHL backs this up.

Personally, I believe that what you see is what you get with Try.  A big, mobile-for-his-size, hard hitting player. I think his size is extraordinary and would be of great benefit to us (especially in the playoffs), however I don't see a guy who will be Tanev-like in his shutdown ability, nor enough talent to be a significant contributor on the scoresheet. Hence, why I believe him to be a complimentary player.

This is not a knock on him, really. I have always considered Tanev to be a complimentary player due to his limited skillset as well, but at the same time I feel he has been one of our most important defensemen over the last few years as. If Try does join this team I think he could he a wonderful compliment to Hughes or Stecher - but there is that word again... "complimentary". 

4 hours ago, kloubek said:

First, Cam Neely is a pretty extreme example which will never fit in the same sentence.  But I get your point.

Of course, nobody can know for sure how a prospect may turn out. Sometimes the potential is misread and we would be foolish to claim we know for certain.  That's why we speculating - as fans of the game and the team.  And in that speculation some (many?) of us don't believe we see enough in Tryamkin to believe he is likely to be highly adept at anything other than playing a highly physical game. So far, I feel his play both in the NHL and KHL backs this up.

Personally, I believe that what you see is what you get with Try.  A big, mobile-for-his-size, hard hitting player. I think his size is extraordinary and would be of great benefit to us (especially in the playoffs), however I don't see a guy who will be Tanev-like in his shutdown ability, nor enough talent to be a significant contributor on the scoresheet. Hence, why I believe him to be a complimentary player.

This is not a knock on him, really. I have always considered Tanev to be a complimentary player due to his limited skillset as well, but at the same time I feel he has been one of our most important defensemen over the last few years as. If Try does join this team I think he could he a wonderful compliment to Hughes or Stecher - but there is that word again... "complimentary". 

Well I look at it the same, but the other side..  Hughes and Stetcher can not play Tryamkins game either.. and although the Physicality and Prowess of Nik’s game can not be played by Stetcher or Hughes,. It is just as, if not more important.

“Complimentary” does not put one side of the pairing ahead of the other.  

Fan base loves to see points in those columns by Dmen as a depiction on ones play..  but line up Hughes or Stetcher against Getzlaff, E Kane, J Benn night after night,  and they’re in the medical room before the game is over...    Funny that you brought up Tanev.. plays what ?.. 30 games a year.. and when he does there’s a target on his back that glows in the dark.

Physicality is far too underrated.. but what wins you a Cup.  The Grind.  Shutting down an offence, and pushing back on the deep puck, dump and gun entry. 

..and if you don’t have the men who forcefully shut that down and turn around the play,  you lose.

You can get “points” on a scoring play..  but you don’t get them for shutting one down.

Knock a man down hard to the ice and you’ve taken him out of that play for 3 seconds.. should get a point for that. 

Its Defence..  if you had 2 Teams, one whose D core was 6 Hughes,.. and another that had 6 Tryamkins..  one of those teams would be out of the playoffs, and have 3-4 Dmen on IR by February.

Tryamkin will be a top 4 D man in his first full season with us,. and I’m sure there will be a player to compliment his game.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

That ice change would be HUGE for the big fella.   As far as Podz, I think he could well end up being as good as Kakko or Hughes.   People can laugh now but this kid is legit.   

A great precursor for him before he comes back (hopefully;)..  and yes Podz could be a bit of a lightning rod,. Looks like he can make things happen.

One of the things I really like about the Tyler Myers signing is what it means if Tryamkin returns. First is the potential for both these huge guys to redefine the nux D. But also. It will give every fan the opportunity to see exactly what Tryamkin has because he will be compared directly with Meyers performance every night.

The debate will be resolved as to how good Tryamkin is. One way or the other.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I wonder if this was the same type of expectations/speculative, that had Cam Neely heading for the East Coast for a “wash tub” in Peter Mcnab?

Is the speculation you 2 are giving,. The same type that management of the Canucks had when Neely was here?..

That speculation moving a player before his potential was reached.. before real opportunity was given.. 

23 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Neely wasn’t traded for Peter McNab, he was traded for Barry Peterson, along with our first pick that turned into Glen Wesley - a damn good defenceman. Pederson had had a couple of hundred + point seasons a couple of years before the trade and was still about a point a game guy. The only thing wrong was that apparently he’d had a tumour the size of a fist removed from his arm prior to the trade which made the trade look like not such a great idea.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Myers

Stecher

Tanev

Woo

Tryankin?????

Tanev's gone at some point this season. Woo's likely a couple years away.

The question we should be asking is, what happens if Barrie wants to sign at 'home' next summer for a reasonable price?

Barrie

Myers

Stecher

Tryamkin

..and eventually yes, Woo.

Pretty good chance the ED nabs one of those guys I guess.

Edited by aGENT

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

The question we should be asking is, what happens if Barrie wants to sign at 'home' next summer for a reasonable price?

Barrie

Myers

Stecher

Tryamkin

If Woo - who won’t need protection? - pans out and NT returns I wouldn’t worry about losing Stecher. 

1 minute ago, J-P said:

If Woo - who won’t need protection? - pans out and NT returns I wouldn’t worry about losing Stecher. 

I think it perhaps more likely we lose Myers....

See the discussion here:

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think it perhaps more likely we lose Myers....

See the discussion here:

I was thinking we protect him, and if we opt not to he probably isn’t worth protecting. Nice to have the flexibility on his contract either way. 

1 minute ago, J-P said:

I was thinking we protect him, and if we opt not to he probably isn’t worth protecting. Nice to have the flexibility on his contract either way. 

Might just be a case of potentially having younger/cheaper/better players available that we can afford to have him go and free up cap space for other needs.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, J-P said:

I'm hoping he's an enticing piece that Seattle may be interested in and Seattle keeps him close to home anyway. Would take 6 million off the books for us. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

10 hours ago, aGENT said:

Barrie

Myers

Stecher

Tryamkin

Tanev will be gone at the TDL for sure, unless we are in a playoff race...….I don't think JB can stomach sending him away if we are in a race, unless they know absolutely Tryamkin is back shortly there after...…..but even then....

A lot of variables for the Expansion draft...……….

Edler...………..is a UFA

Hughes...…….Exempt

Juolevi...……..depends how he plays...………...protect ?

Barrie...……….lol, one never knows...………….protect

Stetcher………expendable, if needed...………..protect?

Tryamkin...…..depends how he plays...………...protect ?

Woo...………..Exempt

Tanev...………,Should be traded by then or gone

It would have been nice to sign Hainsey or similar, to allow Tanev to be traded

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Upvote 1