The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

40 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He said no to the AHL likely because his wife was having trouble being alone in Vancouver.  He was on the road enough, but going to Utica would mean he was away for an extra couple weeks.  Our coach and management messed this up a lot.  They should have had someone watching out for his wife, who spoke Russian.  

Kesler offered.  :ph34r:

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

He is what he is at this point.

I would still like him to join the Canucks but he would be a big 3rd pairing D man. We could use the size, strength and physicality even if it was only on the 3rd pairing.

I feel Tryamkin "is what he is" right from our initial viewing of him. I doubt he progressed much at all or will much in the future.  But what he IS is rather special and can help change a playoff series if he plays with some snarl.

I agree with you that he is absolutely bottom pairing from a skill perspective. But you know how Ferland isn't really a 1st line guy - yet we expect him to be played with Petey and Bess? I feel that is the kind of scenario Try COULD be used in - whereby we don't expect him to contribute the same as his pairing partner - as long as he has chemistry and his game compliments that of his partner.

Case in point: Schenn.  Schenn was largely (exclusively?) played with a far better player in Hughes.  It worked rather well. I feel perhaps Try can play a similar game as Schenn as a supporting player that hits even better.

On the other hand, while I recall Try playing defensively responsible, I don't remember him being like Tanev whereby he can be counted on to read the play perfectly to help eliminate the puck from coming back the other way.  You know Hughes makes his magic deeper in so whoever is paired with him had better read the play well or they will be facing 2 on 1 chances for certain. If Try can be that guy, I would certainly feel better about Hughes' chances of getting manhandled.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

:lol:

That line up is hillarious.  Stecher is a 3rd pairing d man. No more. He won't play 1st pairing with Edler.  :picard:

Regardless of the quote in my signature.

Who cares if Stecher is just a 3rd pairing dman? Having Edler and Stecher together creates a perfect balance in the D core. I couldn't care less that he's not the top 2 Dman needed to play with Edler. We are not a team that can afford to have their 2 best dmen on the same line and get exposed when teams have 2 scoring lines. Add to that, Stecher is no slouch and can hang with the best of them. This allows Hughes to be sheltered alongside Tanev and Benn & Myers to compliment each other as well. Who cares about numbers (1 to 7D) when we've had one of the worst dcores in the last 5 years? We got better and can create balance. That's huge. 

FWIW I still think the lines should be 

Edler Myers

Hughes Tanev 

Benn Stecher

But I'm fine with Edler Stecher as a pairing

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, SilentSam said:

3 years ago, Desjardins threw the kid under the bus..  Desjardins was fired. Tryamkin will be back.

Get over it and your hurt feelings.

No hurt feelings Sam.  Just my opinion, and you can have yours.  I say Tryamkin displayed some self-entitlement issues while he was here (along with struggling to play for a minor league level coach), you think the entire blame falls on Willie.  

• Cheers 2

17 hours ago, SilentSam said:

3 years ago, Desjardins threw the kid under the bus..  Desjardins was fired. Tryamkin will be back.

I think he’ll be back too. And I think Desjardins did screw things up somewhat.

But I also read an article where he said something to the effect of “Goldobin also has to deal with this anti-Russian bias” - that told me a bunch about the entitlement that it felt like he was carrying with him.

1 hour ago, The Sedge said:

No hurt feelings Sam.  Just my opinion, and you can have yours.  I say Tryamkin displayed some self-entitlement issues while he was here (along with struggling to play for a minor league level coach), you think the entire blame falls on Willie.  

Most of it does.

Tryamkin played only 60 games for us as a rookie.. showed more promise than anyone on our D.

21 years old and a brand new foreign country,. Better hands should have handled him.

To me the problem has gone.. fired.

I look forward to Tryamkins return, I think he will progress to be a top 2nd pairing D man with this club after his next full season at least.

• Upvote 4

Tryamkin certainly did have entitlement issues. he didn't want to earn his minutes, he thought he would just get them. I liked him, but him leaving the way he did , showed his immaturity.  if and when he does return, I would hope he has grown up enough to know everything you do in life has to be earned and not just handed to you.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, bree2 said:

Tryamkin certainly did have entitlement issues. he didn't want to earn his minutes, he thought he would just get them. I liked him, but him leaving the way he did , showed his immaturity.  if and when he does return, I would hope he has grown up enough to know everything you do in life has to be earned and not just handed to you.

What was handed to him?

• Cheers 2

I'll be honest tryamkin's first season wasn't great, and that's not Willie's fault. That doesn't mean I don't want him to return, he could still be a great 3rd pairing D man, I have a hard time seeing him taking on anything more than that as I don't think his skill set is as strong as 90% of the people on the board think. 

Coming to a new country was probably extremely tough for him, leaving family and friends to a place where he can't really even talk to anyone would suck. Especially at his age at the time. People calling him immature.....he was 22 years old when he left, of course he was immature. Lol it would be cool if he came back over but im not gonna hold my breath or worry too much about a guy who will likely just play bottom pairing minutes.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, cyoung said:

I'll be honest tryamkin's first season wasn't great, and that's not Willie's fault. That doesn't mean I don't want him to return, he could still be a great 3rd pairing D man, I have a hard time seeing him taking on anything more than that as I don't think his skill set is as strong as 90% of the people on the board think. 

Coming to a new country was probably extremely tough for him, leaving family and friends to a place where he can't really even talk to anyone would suck. Especially at his age at the time. People calling him immature.....he was 22 years old when he left, of course he was immature. Lol it would be cool if he came back over but im not gonna hold my breath or worry too much about a guy who will likely just play bottom pairing minutes.

I also think there is some wishful thinking about Tryamkin. The package is tantalizing but largely unproven. His finish in his rookie season showed a lot of promise but 3 years in the KHL was a step backwards. IMHO the .org depth likely passes him bye. Playing on a stronger team could really help him. Playing at 3RD with stints at 2RD would be the ideal scenario.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I also think there is some wishful thinking about Tryamkin. The package is tantalizing but largely unproven. His finish in his rookie season showed a lot of promise but 3 years in the KHL was a step backwards. IMHO the .org depth likely passes him bye. Playing on a stronger team could really help him. Playing at 3RD with stints at 2RD would be the ideal scenario.

I guess the question is, if he comes and is just a 3rd pairing guy, will he bolt again?  I worry that people have exagerated his level and he will be a 4-6th dman.  That level of ice time didn't sit well last time.  How will it sit now that he is not as young and has more professional experience?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I guess the question is, if he comes and is just a 3rd pairing guy, will he bolt again?  I worry that people have exagerated his level and he will be a 4-6th dman.  That level of ice time didn't sit well last time.  How will it sit now that he is not as young and has more professional experience?

Well that's the question... If he comes back out of shape again, the same thing will likely happen. He won't make the team. I'd imagin he should b prepared the next time he decides to come over...if he does end up doing so.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dixon Ward said:

If he doesn't like it, then that's too bad if that is indeed his ceiling. No one is going to hand him minutes he cannot handle. At least he would be easier for us to trade with him being here rather than overseas with the possibility of not coming back in this case and I'm sure some team would be enticed with the physical attributes to overlook his inability to play a higher role and pay a decent price.

On 7/23/2019 at 9:25 PM, SilentSam said:

Long before tram finally had enough of Willie and spoke up, many of us on here were screaming about how the moron Willie was mismanaging Tram 

thankfully Wille has been banished forever from the NHL

We are free from Willie Tram AND we love Russians so come back 

Edited by canuck2288
  • Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Avto is having training camp in Czech Republic from July 18 to August 2. Here are some pictures from the camp in Yekaterinburg on July 17 - Tryamkin is easily recognizable for his white baseball hat.

tryam2.jpg

tryam3.jpg

tryam4.jpg

He’s so big he looks like he could just rag doll his whole team if he decides to.  Come on back Nikita!

• Upvote 2