The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

30 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

The KHL is arguably the next best league after the KHL. So as inferior as you may think it is, it's pretty much the next best level after the NHL. Certainly above AHL, so Tryamkin may conceivably have actually developed his game further there (you don't only develop in NA). It should be noted that the team went to a smaller NHL surface and while the team hasn't looked as good this year (don't know how much the rink size change affects it), Tryamkin has continued to be steady. We can go back and forth on examples of players that have or have not panned out coming from the KHL, but it happens in every league and I could argue there are players in the NHL that don't belong also, so that doesn't really negate what Tryamkin may bring to the table.

He may have played 3rd pairing minutes and had his issues when he came then, but that doesn't mean it carries forward to today. What we do know is that he doesn't play 3rd pairing minutes now and players that play 20+ minutes a night aren't usually players with conditioning issues. He's part of their leadership group so that doesn't scream that he would have character issues. He's a heavily relied on player so he has the coach's trust and there's no reason that cannot be carried on here. He has developed his defensive game and with the possibility of Tanev leaving, we need someone like him more than ever to hopefully take over and if he does, that puts him right into top 4 category. You could suggest that people are making stuff up about him potentially being a 2nd pairing guy here, but suggesting he's the same player that he was 3 seasons ago isn't being truthful either.

Tryamkin played 3rd pairing for about half the year. Injuries forced him up the pecking order and at times he was top pairing. His TOI went up accordingly. That is why I was so disappointed when he went back to the KHL that summer. I thought he had formed a good enough base that he could have challenged for a 2nd pairing role. I was negative about his time in the KHL as a set back to a NHL career. I don't consider the KHL as second only to the NHL in quality as far as prep for a NHL career. I still prefer the AHL. 

None of this really matters as the proof will be in his performance if he returns. I would look forward to that but do not hold out a lot of hope. Bottom line is he went back to Russia and no matter what his agent says he might stay there. He could easily play the Canucks off against his KHL team to get a better contract for him to stay there.    

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Worth a look. Tryamkin coming back would be like getting another free asset. :) 

All this hopeful talk has me maybe warming to the idea of this BFG coming back ...... Beneficial Free Goods!

Who doesn’t like free stuff? I know I rarely turn it down. As long as there’s no catch.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Worth a look. Tryamkin coming back would be like getting another free asset. :) 

All this hopeful talk has me maybe warming to the idea of this BFG coming back ...... Beneficial Free Goods!

Who doesn’t like free stuff? I know I rarely turn it down. As long as there’s no catch.

I can't say I have followed Try since he left Vancouver; just reading what others' have said. 

His stats tell an odd story, so I wonder what Try fans can tell me what they mean.  Upon his return to Russia, he played 51 games with 25pts and 109PIMS.  The following 2 seasons, his offence appears to have taken a large dip and the PIMS have plummeted 31 and so far this year 22.   Seems like the KHL has taken the bite out of this player.

On paper, Try looks like he has regressed.  I'd be interested in hearing how fans are viewing these stats.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

I can't say I have followed Try since he left Vancouver; just reading what others' have said. 

His stats tell an odd story, so I wonder what Try fans can tell me what they mean.  Upon his return to Russia, he played 51 games with 25pts and 109PIMS.  The following 2 seasons, his offence appears to have taken a large dip and the PIMS have plummeted 31 and so far this year 22.   Seems like the KHL has taken the bite out of this player.

On paper, Try looks like he has regressed.  I'd be interested in hearing how fans are viewing these stats.

No. It's a coaching thing. Tryamkin is strictly a defensive defenseman. Not on the pp. Rarely. Always on first unit pk. He carries the puck in but defers to the forwards immediately. He just seems more comfortable playing only defense. He need more coaching to engage offensively. Either way I think we have enough offense already.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

No. It's a coaching thing. Tryamkin is strictly a defensive defenseman. Not on the pp. Rarely. Always on first unit pk. He carries the puck in but defers to the forwards immediately. He just seems more comfortable playing only defense. He need more coaching to engage offensively. Either way I think we have enough offense already.

OK.  That makes sense.  What about the pims?  I understand that the KHL game is less aggressive than the NHL, but the difference from his season after leaving Vancouver and the 2 following is huge.

2 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Exactly for what ever warts some see ( and I'm not disagreeing ) he is a genuine NHL defenseman and we know what we get. Others in Utica/CHL/NCAA are all assumptions. To tell you the truth I like his lateral mobility, for a man as big as him that's a major plus, just ask the left wingers who had to pass down his side. Those take outs really got my attention ::D

I was just curious if it would be a surprise if or when Nik finally decides to give NA another shot, that he turns out to be a number 6 or 7 on the dman depth chart.  Maybe some with more knowledge could speak more intelligently about how much better can he get at this point and has not playing in the NHL in his development years hurt him in the long run?  I am just wondering if he is going to be as good as we all hope.

10 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I was just curious if it would be a surprise if or when Nik finally decides to give NA another shot, that he turns out to be a number 6 or 7 on the dman depth chart.  Maybe some with more knowledge could speak more intelligently about how much better can he get at this point and has not playing in the NHL in his development years hurt him in the long run?  I am just wondering if he is going to be as good as we all hope.

Who knows really, but, when he left he could hold his own and there's no reason to think he'll be worse. He's played for 2 different coaches, likely more confident now. Although he plays at a lessor league level, he does play on a larger ice surface which I tend to believe would help a D. The bad side of the big ice is ( I've been told) the corners are further away and bigger, so D in Europe don't attack the corners like the NHL D do

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Tryamkin played 3rd pairing for about half the year. Injuries forced him up the pecking order and at times he was top pairing. His TOI went up accordingly. That is why I was so disappointed when he went back to the KHL that summer. I thought he had formed a good enough base that he could have challenged for a 2nd pairing role. I was negative about his time in the KHL as a set back to a NHL career. I don't consider the KHL as second only to the NHL in quality as far as prep for a NHL career. I still prefer the AHL. 

None of this really matters as the proof will be in his performance if he returns. I would look forward to that but do not hold out a lot of hope. Bottom line is he went back to Russia and no matter what his agent says he might stay there. He could easily play the Canucks off against his KHL team to get a better contract for him to stay there.    

Half the year? Something about that doesn't add up. He's averaging 20+ minutes a game this season, if half of those were "3rd pairing" minutes, then the other half would be mega 1st pairing 25-30 minute nights to average it out? He may have had the odd game with lower minutes and even "healthy scratched" but they have a system rotating their dmen to not burn them out over the season.

They have 5 dmen this season that pretty much has played every game this season and the others don't seem to have that average TOI that suggests they were top contributors that Tryamkin took over.

Since their training camp, Tryamkin has been viewed as one of their leaders and certainly in their leadership group leading training sessions and such. He's worn a letter on his jersey on occasion and even worn the C (and wasn't stripped of it as many like to suggest). None of this would suggest they think little of him on his team or suggest he's an example of poor conditioning.

They swapped to NA ice this season and Tryamkin doesn't look to have missed a beat compared to his team. The only fear of him going back to the KHL was the worry that he wouldn't come back, but most signs suggests he will. It's your opinion on what league you think would be better for development and that's fine, but there are several "older" Russian players that have come from the KHL and completely dominate the NHL, for example Panarin. Not saying Tryamkin is at that level, but it just means that it's not like players cannot develop there so it cannot be assumed that Tryamkin hasn't grown as a player and person in his time in the KHL.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Who knows really, but, when he left he could hold his own and there's no reason to think he'll be worse. He's played for 2 different coaches, likely more confident now. Although he plays at a lessor league level, he does play on a larger ice surface which I tend to believe would help a D. The bad side of the big ice is ( I've been told) the corners are further away and bigger, so D in Europe don't attack the corners like the NHL D do

They switched to NA ice this season. And the team hasn't looked great, but Tryamkin looks like it hasn't phased him.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

I'm not keeping up. I didn't know the KHL was now playing on NHL size ice, thks

In the KHL,  6 Teams are playing on NHL Size rinks,.  11 Teams are on Finish size rinks, and only 7 Teams remain playing on KHL size rinks for their home games.

• Thanks 1