The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

I would think that Tryamkin would want a contract before coming over here.  Baer, Sutter and Benn (+10M) are signed for next season.  Perhaps Benn can be traded, but the other two appear to be a difficult to trade unless picks/prospects and/or retentions are included.  Not a pleasant outlook.

I have faith that JB will find a less painful way to do what is needed, but by any means, it will be a really tough job.  The following season with Pearson, Pettersson, Hughes and Demko needing contracts will be even more difficult.

I also beleive that there will be a significant cap hit coming, due to the lucrative US TV signing.  Hope it is substantial!

Estimates are all over the board. Broadcasters are desperate for content. NHL is way below major sports, NBA, MLB and of course the NFL which is in the stratosphere. 

I have no idea what viewership is on American networks. I don't know whether the revenue from MSG or NESN are shared with the NHL? 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Tanev may simply walk (assuming not traded because - playoffs...though I'd not personally be opposed, depending on the return). As will Leivo, Schaller and Fantenberg likely.

Next year Tryamkin ($2.5m +/-?) and Rafferty ($700K) replace Tanev ($4.45) and Stecher ($2.325). That's $3.75m savings right there. Motte will only see a moderate raise. Virtanen likely sees a bit of a bump. Gaudette likely gets a similar bridge to the one Virtanen's on now.

Marky's really the biggest conundrum as he's likely due at MINIMUM a $2m raise (and likely more). But Baer will only have one year left and will likely be easier to move this summer/next fall and at a slightly lower cost in futures, which hopefully clears a bit more space. Same goes for Sutter and Benn as possibilities. Even with just some of those moves, and a likely cap increase, should be enough to squeak everyone in and have a few guys on low dollar ELC/bridge deals filling in depth roles. 

It's a bit of a challenge but it's far from insurmountable...and doesn't require any 'miracles'.

Alright, but that team is not as good as our current team. We'd be taking a step back. Virtanen could be in the 2-3 million range depending on the type of deal. 

4 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Alright, but that team is not as good as our current team. We'd be taking a step back.

That's debatable. No guarantee Tanev's healthy again next year. I'll take an 82 game 'downgrade' of Tryamkin vs 55 game Tanev. Plus Try's been playing a similar, solid shutdown/PK role in Russia and is still young enough to improve, whereas Tanev could start seeing age related decline any time now.

Rafferty has more size and will likely put up more offense. He does lack Stechers compete though but again, Not sure you can say that's some massive or clear downgrade. Different, sure. Worse...? Probably not.

It also discounts continuing improvement, development of our young core (EP, Boeser, Hughes, Horvat etc). Those guys are likely to keep improving the next few years.

And we'll also likely have even more ready prospects able to come up (Juolevi, Brisebois, Woo, Rathbone, Lind, Hoglander? etc)

I seem to remember this same type of talk when the Sedins were retiring too (where's the offense going to come from?!?! :frantic:).

4 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Virtanen could be in the 2-3 million range depending on the type of deal. 

Yup. Again:

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Who said he wouldn't have a contract before coming over? :blink:

NEXT season swapping Tanev/Stecher for Try/Rafferty should cover Marky's raise +/-. Dropping Schaller for an ELC should cover Virtanen's +/-. Leivo for an ELC covers Gaudette's +/-. A cap increase should cover Motte + give us some breathing room.

If we're also able to move a Baer or Sutter (or Gordie willing Eriksson moves/retires) etc, it's just gravy and some added elbow room.

Stop worrying. They've got this. It's not that bad.

• Upvote 3

46 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Estimates are all over the board. Broadcasters are desperate for content. NHL is way below major sports, NBA, MLB and of course the NFL which is in the stratosphere. 

I have no idea what viewership is on American networks. I don't know whether the revenue from MSG or NESN are shared with the NHL? 

The NHL is on the verge of signing a new US TV contract after the 20/21 season. It won't be anything near the other big sports, but I am hoping it will be a substantial raise to what we have now.  Certainly will be helpful when Pete/Quinn contracts come up.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

The NHL is on the verge of signing a new US TV contract after the 20/21 season. It won't be anything near the other big sports, but I am hoping it will be a substantial raise to what we have now.  Certainly will be helpful when Pete/Quinn contracts come up.

I did a little research;

TV revenue by team and league;

NBA:     $80 mil

MLB:   $118 mil

NFL:    $255 mil

NHL:    $ 6.5 mil  * this is only the ABC deal, does not include Canadian money

It must make Bettman and his team have dreams about the possible raise. The NHL is so cheap that tying them up would be cheap air time. Had heard that Bettman would regionalize the offers to boost the aggregate take. Seattle coming in boosts the over all market. IMHO this is why Quebec won't get a team. The future is gate receipts being a smaller portion of revenue. This is particularly true in the NBA already. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

That's debatable. No guarantee Tanev's healthy again next year. I'll take an 82 game 'downgrade' of Tryamkin vs 55 game Tanev. Plus Try's been playing a similar, solid shutdown/PK role in Russia and is still young enough to improve, whereas Tanev could start seeing age related decline any time now.

Rafferty has more size and will likely put up more offense. He does lack Stechers compete though but again, Not sure you can say that's some massive or clear downgrade. Different, sure. Worse...? Probably not.

It also discounts continuing improvement, development of our young core (EP, Boeser, Hughes, Horvat etc). Those guys are likely to keep improving the next few years.

And we'll also likely have even more ready prospects able to come up (Juolevi, Brisebois, Woo, Rathbone, Lind, Hoglander? etc)

I seem to remember this same type of talk when the Sedins were retiring too (where's the offense going to come from?!?! :frantic:).

Yup. Again:

Tanev's health this year could lend itself to this year being an outlier, but whether it's with an injured Tanev or an inferior player it looks like that spot will be downgraded next year. Tryamkin has not proven anything until he comes back and shows it in the NHL, but he's more likely a replacement for Stetcher.

Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, etc. improving have nothing to do with replacing Tanev. Hughes will likely improve but Tanev is a great fit for him. The improvement we see in Hughes likely won't be enough to offset a different caliber of player beside him. As good as he's been, we don't need to throw him to the wolves even more than we already have. 

Most of those defense prospects you listed are replacement level. Juolevi is a complete wildcard right now, I don't think anyone should be relying on him to do anything right now. 

Leivo is someone that our coach trusts and was having a pretty good stretch right before he got injured. Losing him for nothing makes us a worse team. 

I think the easiest thing to do would be to get rid of Sutter, even if we have to pay a team a small amount to take him. 

24 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Tanev's health this year could lend itself to this year being an outlier, but whether it's with an injured Tanev or an inferior player it looks like that spot will be downgraded next year. Tryamkin has not proven anything until he comes back and shows it in the NHL, but he's more likely a replacement for Stetcher.

Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, etc. improving have nothing to do with replacing Tanev. Hughes will likely improve but Tanev is a great fit for him. The improvement we see in Hughes likely won't be enough to offset a different caliber of player beside him. As good as he's been, we don't need to throw him to the wolves even more than we already have. 

Most of those defense prospects you listed are replacement level. Juolevi is a complete wildcard right now, I don't think anyone should be relying on him to do anything right now. 

Leivo is someone that our coach trusts and was having a pretty good stretch right before he got injured. Losing him for nothing makes us a worse team. 

I think the easiest thing to do would be to get rid of Sutter, even if we have to pay a team a small amount to take him. 

Tryamkin has proven as much with his play as Tanev has with his health. There's no guarantees of anything in sport.

The concern was 'the team will be worse'. Players improving counters that.

Juolevi is a bit of a 'wildcard'. Sure. Brisebois and Sautner 'replacement level'. Sure. FWIW wildcards can turn out quite nicely and the rest of those guys have pretty nice promise.

Nothing wrong at all with Leivo but he's a middle 6 player. The exact thing we have a glut of and you can't keep all the players. We'll still have Pearson, a steadily improving Virtanen and Gaudette, Roussel, a hopefully healthier Ferland and possibly some mix of Lind, Hoglander, Madden etc to add to them. We're not lacking for middle 6 depth now or moving forward.

I'm not particularly worried about who we get rid of...if we in fact even do. Sutter and Baer both will only have one year remaining and become easier/less costly to move should we decide to do just that. Maybe Eriksson retires after his bonus etc. All I know is I'm not hand wringing about it like some of you. 

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I'm also thinking Ferland retires. His health and the  risk factors of further brain damage, concussion history make me very skeptical of Ferlando being a beast hitter ever again.

No don’t count him out yet Hairy.. to share my experience with the worst concussion I’ve ever had.

I was off work for 15 months after a head on /side swipe collision with a bus on the Squamish Highway.

Snake Hill.. just above Horshoe Bay.

A 70 kmh x 2 collision. I walked away with torn ligaments and lacerations . The “Closed Head Injury” ( your brain slams the inside of your skull) and whiplash turned me into a mumbling idiot. Couldn’t find words, couldn’t finish a sentence, your not yourself.. and it all cause you to struggle.

My communication is primarily Physical and on radio at work.. I couldn’t do it.

Many Days where your feeling “underwater”... the odd day on the surface where it’s vibrant and energizing.

as I got better, days on the surface lasted longer, my workouts (gym) got more invigorating.

For Ferland to come back in the last game he had, where HE DID play well.. I think he is close to breaking through.

he was right to pull himself, setbacks can create other, or further injury.. that decision shows he is aware.  Everything else can be worked on outside of game play, until game play is essential.

He will repair, he is not far off..  and I can tell you we will see him happy , invigorated, and strong again in the not too distant future.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

No don’t count him out yet Hairy.. to share my experience with the worst concussion I’ve ever had.

I was off work for 15 months after a head on /side swipe collision with a bus on the Squamish Highway.

Snake Hill.. just above Horshoe Bay.

A 70 kmh x 2 collision. I walked away with torn ligaments and lacerations . The “Closed Head Injury” ( your brain slams the inside of your skull) and whiplash turned me into a mumbling idiot. Couldn’t find words, couldn’t finish a sentence, your not yourself.. and it all cause you to struggle.

My communication is primarily Physical and on radio at work.. I couldn’t do it.

Many Days where your feeling “underwater”... the odd day on the surface where it’s vibrant and energizing.

as I got better, days on the surface lasted longer, my workouts (gym) got more invigorating.

For Ferland to come back in the last game he had, where HE DID play well.. I think he is close to breaking through.

he was right to pull himself, setbacks can create other, or further injury.. that decision shows he is aware.  Everything else can be worked on outside of game play, until game play is essential.

He will repair, he is not far off..  and I can tell you we will see him happy , invigorated, and strong again in the not too distant future.

Good to know. Okay I will remain hopeful for him to come back in February and finish the season strong.

• Cheers 1

On 1/4/2020 at 10:10 AM, Stierlitz said:

Guys, Nikita is definitely coming to Vancouver this year. Just look at the events with him in Avto this season:

- End of exhibition games - Tryamkin was assistant captain and playing large minutes.

- First regular game - Tryamkin with no A on his chest and playing on the third pair of defence.

- I think sometime in those 3-4 days in between, Tryamkin was approached by the team management about extending his KHL contract and he declined it.

- Next 2 months Tryamkin played limited time and Avto was loosing games.

- Then the team bosses had no choice but to play Nikita more and more to avoid missing playoffs.

- Tryamkin has never been mentioned in interview with the Avto head coach this season and Nikita does not have interviews with the local media anymore, Nikita was not selected for the KHL AllStar games, the club does not clearly see him in Yekaterinburg next season...

I almost bought his 88 Avtomobilist home ( red ) jersey on Lutch.com last night.

would have cast about $320. Can.  .. thinking that he might think it would be a warm way to welcome him...   but if Avto IS treating him like crap,.  He might rip the flippin thing off my back and throw it under the Zamboni !!

ill wait, or try to find a Canucks one with his plate on it :emot-parrot:

• Cheers 1

So nobody has mentioned the most important question about when Tryamkin comes back to Vancouver.  Does Hockey Gaud take one look and just give him back the number #88 or do you think then battle it out?  #8 could become available in the summer. Maybe Nikita plays nice and only takes one 8 instead of two...

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So nobody has mentioned the most important question about when Tryamkin comes back to Vancouver.  Does Hockey Gaud take one look and just give him back the number #88 or do you think then battle it out?  #8 could become available in the summer. Maybe Nikita plays nice and only takes one 8 instead of two...

I think they Indian leg wrestle for it in the dressing room,. And,  or an over proof Vodka drinking contest..

eitherway, I think Nik wins ;) 

• Haha 3

People worried about the cap but

Virtanen is only arbitration eligible, looking at his larger body of work his raise will not be exorbitant

Tanev may walk or be traded

Fantenberg is not due some massive increase in pay

Leivo either stays or goes but is not due a large increase

Schaller won't be back

Motte...most likely not re-signed

Ferland might stay on LTIR for this season and potentially see him shipped off to Robidas island if he doesn't get better meaning minor movements for LTIR relief

Marky gets say $5.5 maybe $5.75?  He will get a raise but I do not see it being massive

The outlier people seem to not be taking in to account is injured players, in Sutter and Ferland, the possibility of Benn being moved with his easy contract, and of course the fact that Seattle is coming in and the price of a 3rd or 4th could see one of Eriksson, Baertschi or Sutter simply shuffled down to Seattle.  Factor in the minimal cap raise of about $2 million or so and really, the amount of extra money we will need to be throwing out is not excessive.  Nor will Tryamkin walk in commanding a $5 million contract.

It's really not as bad as some are making it past this season.  There are more than enough options to consider without resorting to worry and as of now only Markstrom is walking away with the credentials for a sizeable raise 

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 3