The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

On 1/28/2020 at 4:31 PM, WeneedLumme said:

Don't get too excited about Feb 27. Only one third of KHL teams miss the playoffs, and it doesn't really look like Tram's is going to be one of them.

Yeah, thanks; I checked the standings and you are right; Avto would pretty much have to fall apart over the next 4 weeks.

I guess the next hope would be an early exit from the first round.

13 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Does this imply that we are dealing with a bunch of racists?

Russians aren't a separate race. But it seems evident that there is some bigotry on CDC. Some posters are invariably negative about Russians. There is some pretty silly negative crap in both Tram's thread and Pod's.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Does this imply that we are dealing with a bunch of racists?

The term probably better suited would be “prejudice” ..   Just as Russia has wanted more russian content in the KHL.

Perhaps it’s just relative to the continent the game is played on... but any league that aspires to be the worlds best should have no boundaries in its relationships.

1 hour ago, WeneedLumme said:

Russians aren't a separate race. But it seems evident that there is some bigotry on CDC. Some posters are invariably negative about Russians. There is some pretty silly negative crap in both Tram's thread and Pod's.

The dictionary definition doesn't match what people associate the word racism to anymore. It is more so jingoistic than racist or prejudice. There are specific words that people have forgotten about that define specific things but instead of using those words they just say racist. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

The dictionary definition doesn't match what people associate the word racism to anymore. It is more so jingoistic than racist or prejudice. There are specific words that people have forgotten about that define specific things but instead of using those words they just say racist. 

so true, plus yes what was accepted 20 years ago,even 10 is not now.

I think people are way to sensitive and since it is not face to face, misread what others mean

4 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

so true, plus yes what was accepted 20 years ago,even 10 is not now.

I think people are way to sensitive and since it is not face to face, misread what others mean

They've made racism subjective based on these new combined definitions. It's like you have to step back gather information and determine just what exactly the person(s) are saying is racist. If you argue then you just get screamed at that words evolve. They use the word because they know how powerful it is. It's losing its meaning because of it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

The average CDCer is probably 20-40.... many were youngsters who were crushed when Pavel Bure left town.  That hatred is embedded in many, that they hold a negative bias to Russian players in general.  

3 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

The average CDCer is probably 20-40.... many were youngsters who were crushed when Pavel Bure left town.  That hatred is embedded in many, that they hold a negative bias to Russian players in general.  

I think Krutov being as bad as he was and loosing Igor because of having to pay the Russian Hockey Federation another transfer fee in order to sign him.  :)

4 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Yeah, thanks; I checked the standings and you are right; Avto would pretty much have to fall apart over the next 4 weeks.

Avto just lost their number one goalie a couple games ago. Today they let in 5 goals, they did win. But without Kovar I  don't see them faring well in the playoffs. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Regarding Russians, I think it's because some former NHL players, such as Kovalchuk, Yashin, Radulov, Tryamkin, etc bolt back to the Motherland when they don't get their way in NA. Or else they turn into Nail Yakupov.  I think we've got a good one in Podkolzin though. He seems very motivated to play for the Canucks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lancaster said:

Maybe. But I think those of us who remember watching Bure and Larionov as Canucks are fine with Russians. When Bure left it was because he felt he got shafted out of a whole year's pay. His agent had screwed up.

And when the Professor left it was because if he stayed with the Canucks, half of his pay went to the Russians, while if he played for any other team, that was not the case. 

I really dont don't think any reasonable person would blame them for their choices

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Regarding Russians, I think it's because some former NHL players, such as Kovalchuk, Yashin, Radulov, Tryamkin, etc bolt back to the Motherland when they don't get their way in NA. Or else they turn into Nail Yakupov.  I think we've got a good one in Podkolzin though. He seems very motivated to play for the Canucks.

Lots of Canadian players who can't crack the NHL do go over to play in Europe, but people could care less.  I mean... using Nigel Dawes as an example, when was the last time you hear disparaging remarks about him?  Most folks just view him as a borderline NHLer who just went to Europe to play due to the experience of living overseas, European leagues being less of a meat grinder and maybe the pay is comparable or even more than if he played in the AHL.  

A European player moves back to Europe, he's labelled as "not good enough", "soft", etc.... when in actuality, it might just be a better fit for them overall.  

To use a job analogy... it's like starting off on a lower wage, but high opportunity job (NHL).  You see many higher ups with the big bucks... but you gotta climb over tons of people and sacrifice a lot to just have a chance to reach that level.

Or... you can just choose a more "safe" job that starts off at a very good living wage, but with limited growth in the future.  You will live well, middle class life.  

1 minute ago, WeneedLumme said:

Maybe. But I think those of us who remember watching Bure and Larionov as Canucks are fine with Russians. When Bure left it was because he felt he got shafted out of a whole year's pay. His agent had screwed up.

And when the Professor left it was because if he stayed with the Canucks, half of his pay went to the Russians, while if he played for any other team, that was not the case. 

I really dont don't think any reasonable person would blame them for their choices

Playing hockey is a career/job and your earning potential is very limited.  I never blame any player for doing what's best for them financially.  

Victory, prestige, glory sounds great... but it's not going to put food on the table.  

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

How about Russians like Ovechkin, Malkin, Panarin, Gonchar, Kovalev, etc?

Is anyone hating on Swedes because Dahlen went back? Or on Finns because Palmu went back? How about good Canadian kids like Vey bolting to the KHL rather than sticking it out in the minors here?

People have different personalities and reasons for their choices. Seems unreasonable to clump Russians into this sole thinking.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

People crushed by this should be more upset with that management (or his agent) rather than Bure or Russians in general. It was a contract problem, not a player problem.

If anything Bure likely has set a "standard" for Russians and the expectations for every Russian to be at this level leads to disappointment and thus not being good enough. Our drafting success with Russians could also be more attributed to scouting and development as much as it is on Russian players.

In the Podkolzin thread, it went as far as people complaining about his development there, yet they have developed some of the best NHLers in the game. Some are duds, but so are many of the players from "local" leagues.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

@Hairy Kneel just reported that Avto just lost their only real goaltender for the rest of the season..  I think that might do it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

500,000 subs says otherwise, not to mention they have pretty well all the best sports writers. Especially in Vancouver

Like botch?

Hold on let me get you the exact number of the score subscribers. And tsn. And sportsnet. And CBC sports.