The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

Tryamkin could easily step into Fantenburgs/Benn's role right now. I truly expect to see Tanev or Stecher traded so the next few weeks will be interesting to follow.

I believe Tanev is worth a first at this deadline with his current healthy play this season. He also doesn't seem to be a guy we'd resign due to his injury history and coming prospect depth in that area (Rafferty, Tram, Chatfield and Woo). Therefore, we should trade him, accrue assets and prepare this team as a contender for the next 2-5 years.

Missing Tanev this season will hurt, but it should benefit us long term with Benning's stellar drafting

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If Tanev is traded the only thing we would accomplish is watching as teams like VGK, CGY, EDM and ARZ pass us by in the standings.

Because we are not gonna make the playoffs.

Only a moron would trade Tanev now, and JB ain’t no moron. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lets be honest does anyone here think that this late in the season, when teams are gonna be stepping it up a notch especially in the pacific, that bringing in a player who wasn't played in the NHL in 3 years, who only has 79 NHL games under his belt  to replace a guy who's responsible for being a top PKer, matching up against top players all the while keeping an eye out for a rookie is a good idea?

On top of everything I stated all those teams will also be looking to add or improve by deadline so would it be a good idea to downgrade on uncertainty? 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Tryamkin could easily step into Fantenburgs/Benn's role right now. I truly expect to see Tanev or Stecher traded so the next few weeks will be interesting to follow.

I believe Tanev is worth a first at this deadline with his current healthy play this season. He also doesn't seem to be a guy we'd resign due to his injury history and coming prospect depth in that area (Rafferty, Tram, Chatfield and Woo). Therefore, we should trade him, accrue assets and prepare this team as a contender for the next 2-5 years.

Missing Tanev this season will hurt, but it should benefit us long term with Benning's stellar drafting

100% disagree.  Not a chance . Tanev is not going anywhere this season. 

• Thanks 1

Neither Tanev nor Stecher are getting traded this season.  We have a chance to win the division and actually not just make the playoffs but do some damage as well.  We are 14-4 in our last 18 games.  I don’t think we’ve had this much success since 2012.  We aren’t going to trade anybody on the roster.  Most likely we will stand pat and wait for Ferland and Leivo to come back to add to our depth.  We don’t have the cap space to add another player.

In regards to Tryamkin, if he comes it would be in March and he would add to our defensive depth.  I don’t think he’s going to replace any of our starters in the beginning, but come playoff time he could be a great option on the 3rd pairing.  

23 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Neither Tanev nor Stecher are getting traded this season.  We have a chance to win the division and actually not just make the playoffs but do some damage as well.  We are 14-4 in our last 18 games.  I don’t think we’ve had this much success since 2012.  We aren’t going to trade anybody on the roster.  Most likely we will stand pat and wait for Ferland and Leivo to come back to add to our depth.  We don’t have the cap space to add another player.

In regards to Tryamkin, if he comes it would be in March and he would add to our defensive depth.  I don’t think he’s going to replace any of our starters in the beginning, but come playoff time he could be a great option on the 3rd pairing.  

I read somewhere that if everybody comes back ( gets healthy ) we will be over the cap and have to waive someone anyway...they suggested Motte and Lievo...

I don't think we trade a D. at the deadline but Benn could go and Schaller probably should go so that we get something for him maybe Motte as well and play Big Mac or Bailey

I am still hoping they can get Erikkson going enough to sneak him into a deal with ...say Benn and Schaller ...we take on some of Erikkson's salary and get a pick and a prospect....Louie just has to start scoring...

1 minute ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I read somewhere that if everybody comes back ( gets healthy ) we will be over the cap and have to waive someone anyway...they suggested Motte and Lievo...

I don't think we trade a D. at the deadline but Benn could go and Schaller probably should go so that we get something for him maybe Motte as well and play Big Mac or Bailey

I am still hoping they can get Erikkson going enough to sneak him into a deal with ...say Benn and Schaller ...we take on some of Erikkson's salary and get a pick and a prospect....Louie just has to start scoring...

I don't think Motte should be dealt. Dudes a 4th line staple that's is only turning 25 this year like Bo.

Schaller will probably be gone and I see us trying to move Baer and maybe Sutter(if we are completely healthy). Might not be able to move Baer/Sutter till next year though. I only see Benn going if we have confirmation that Tryamkin is coming back, otherwise keep him in case of injury.

Want I want to see is us send some of our bad contracts to ANA who said they'd take them for some assets(picks/prospects) and try to pry a player out of there. I am completely fine with giving up a lot of picks if we got rid of Eriksson and one of Baer/Sutter and got a guy like Rakell back but he might cost an arm and a leg probably.

• Cheers 3

I think people are overestimating where this team is at. The Pacific division is weak this year and thats one of the main reasons the Canucks are where they are currently. The only other two reason are because of our stellar goaltending and young guns stepping up and progressing. One could argue our depth is also better this year, but thats only due to Benning's stellar drafting recently increasing internal competition.

Can any fans truly say that they think this team can win a seven game series against Washington, Pittsburgh, Boston, Tampa, St Louis or Colorado? This team has gone 50 years without a cup because they are happy with patch work and not the pain of truly building a contender. Give this team time to acquire and grow its young stars while moving on from the old regime.

Also out of all the UFA etc. talk has anyone heard Benning say he plans on resigning Tanev or at least declining the idea of trading him? Because, I sure have heard him be very vocal on what he wants to do during UFA years such as resigning Edler, Markstrom etc.

6 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

I think people are overestimating where this team is at. The Pacific division is weak this year and thats one of the main reasons the Canucks are where they are currently. The only other two reason are because of our stellar goaltending and young guns stepping up and progressing. One could argue our depth is also better this year, but thats only due to Benning's stellar drafting recently increasing internal competition.

Can any fans truly say that they think this team can win a seven game series against Washington, Pittsburgh, Boston, Tampa, St Louis or Colorado? This team has gone 50 years without a cup because they are happy with patch work and not the pain of truly building a contender. Give this team time to acquire and grow its young stars while moving on from the old regime.

Also out of all the UFA etc. talk has anyone heard Benning say he plans on resigning Tanev or at least declining the idea of trading him? Because, I sure have heard him be very vocal on what he wants to do during UFA years such as resigning Edler, Markstrom etc.

If we make it that far this year, with this young of a team, I don't think anyone would be complaining.

That said playoffs have been the narrative this year. Do you think Benning is gonna change that? He's said, Green has said and even Horvat has said that getting this team into the playoffs and getting that sort of experience would be huge for a team that is this young. That's the goal and it has always been the goal since the start of the year. They are thinking long-term by wanting to get that experience and create a winning culture. We aren't a top team so we really can't afford to get rid of anyone. The pacific is tight, all the teams are pretty even with each other and don't you think that some of them might want to look to improve at the deadline? Making our team worse would look a lot worse if other teams looked to add and did.

14 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I don't think Motte should be dealt. Dudes a 4th line staple that's is only turning 25 this year like Bo.

Schaller will probably be gone and I see us trying to move Baer and maybe Sutter(if we are completely healthy). Might not be able to move Baer/Sutter till next year though. I only see Benn going if we have confirmation that Tryamkin is coming back, otherwise keep him in case of injury.

Want I want to see is us send some of our bad contracts to ANA who said they'd take them for some assets(picks/prospects) and try to pry a player out of there. I am completely fine with giving up a lot of picks if we got rid of Eriksson and one of Baer/Sutter and got a guy like Rakell back but he might cost an arm and a leg probably.

Yeah Motte is pretty far down this list of potential players to trade IMO.

19 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If we make it that far this year, with this young of a team, I don't think anyone would be complaining.

That said playoffs have been the narrative this year. Do you think Benning is gonna change that? He's said, Green has said and even Horvat has said that getting this team into the playoffs and getting that sort of experience would be huge for a team that is this young. That's the goal and it has always been the goal since the start of the year. They are thinking long-term by wanting to get that experience and create a winning culture. We aren't a top team so we really can't afford to get rid of anyone. The pacific is tight, all the teams are pretty even with each other and don't you think that some of them might want to look to improve at the deadline? Making our team worse would look a lot worse if other teams looked to add and did.

Agree to disagree. I see a 1st as more likely to get us a cup then Tanev this year. But, thats the great thing about hockey and the future. Anything can happen

Edit: Ill add that I think this team can do just as well (or very close to) without Tanev as it is now

Edited by RetroCanuck
  • Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

it is?  How so?

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

Ya we are in a crap division but we should not trade tanev. Even if we don't have a team to go far, even reaching the playoffs (2nd round would be sick) would be absolutely amazing for our young guys development. 

Ya we have have had stellar goaltending, because our goalies are that good. You are talking like our success is just luck, it really isn't, we are a playoff team and we need to get in to see what it takes to go far.

3 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Ya we are in a crap division but we should not trade tanev. Even if we don't have a team to go far, even reaching the playoffs (2nd round would be sick) would be absolutely amazing for our young guys development. 

Ya we have have had stellar goaltending, because our goalies are that good. You are talking like our success is just luck, it really isn't, we are a playoff team and we need to get in to see what it takes to go far.

Do you think not having Tanev takes us out of the playoff picture? Because if our depth is so poor Id not want to gamble on Tanev's health to get us into the playoffs.

Edit: I also don't think this team is playoff competitive because of luck. As I outlined with my 2nd last post. I just believe moving on from expiring UFA's helps this teams future more then using them in their last year. 

Is Benn, Tyamkin or Rafferty (or Chatfield) such a downgrade from Tanev that we will miss the playoffs and lose that experience you refer too?

Edited by RetroCanuck
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Do you think not having Tanev takes us out of the playoff picture? Because if our depth is so poor Id not want to gamble on Tanev's health to get us into the playoffs.

He's a difference maker for sure. We aren't just gambling on one person, it's the whole team. He's an integral part of this team. 

• Like 1