The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think we pretty much know what we have already, an improved version of the guy we had 3 years ago. It certainly seems like he's improved physically. I don't put a ton of stock in KHL experience but we know he was able to play here already.

It would be pretty exciting to see him with Edler imo, that would be a lot for teams to handle. 

The problem is some here think that he's simply going to be picking up from where he last left off here. As if there is no growth in the 3 years he's been away (assuming the same crowd that think development is poor in the KHL eg Podkolzin).

I think the biggest improvement is his maturity. I think he has figured out what he needs to do to be effective and successful. If he brings that mindset here, then we certainly have a player.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

The problem is some here think that he's simply going to be picking up from where he last left off here. As if there is no growth in the 3 years he's been away (assuming the same crowd that think development is poor in the KHL eg Podkolzin).

I think the biggest improvement is his maturity. I think he has figured out what he needs to do to be effective and successful. If he brings that mindset here, then we certainly have a player.

maturity will play a big part, but I think his "development" in the KHL is a bit over-stated.  I don't think he's going to come in (if he comes over at all) and be a top 4 dman.  He was a 6/7 when he bolted and probably hasn't progressed much, in NHL terms, beyond that

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

A massive amount of Hughes' ascension has been due to Tanev.    Not sure how a fan of this team wouldn't be aware of this.

I think everyone knows that Rob

But Hughes play is the driver of the 2 by far

Would also say that Markstrom 's play has a lot to do with the same

Virtanen's ascension has also helped

as has Millers, as is to a lesser degree Pearsons

Point being a lot of factors

I am not trying to scream the sky is falling when we are playing so well

but, there is a lot of moving parts just in our cap situation

I personally look forward to see it all unfold...….

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

maturity will play a big part, but I think his "development" in the KHL is a bit over-stated.  I don't think he's going to come in (if he comes over at all) and be a top 4 dman.  He was a 6/7 when he bolted and probably hasn't progressed much, in NHL terms, beyond that

We will see. No one has suggested that he would walk right into a top 4 role (assuming he's here before this season ends). I personally have been suggesting that we keep Tanev to see what we have in Tryamkin before putting all the eggs in that basket. With that said, based on the role he plays in the KHL and give him an offseason to prepare and a camp to fight for a spot and I wouldn't be surprised if he's playing 18-20 minutes a night here (considering he was already averaging 17 minutes a night when he left here anyway). He has grown his defensive game and now is using it on a NHL sized rink. I think it's going to translate well once he adjusts to the systems and settles down here (which will be easier this time around with said maturity and familiarity from his last go around).

8 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think everyone knows that Rob

But Hughes play is the driver of the 2 by far

Would also say that Markstrom 's play has a lot to do with the same

Virtanen's ascension has also helped

as has Millers, as is to a lesser degree Pearsons

Point being a lot of factors

I am not trying to scream the sky is falling when we are playing so well

but, there is a lot of moving parts just in our cap situation

I personally look forward to see it all unfold...….

Support players are just as important as the "drivers". With that said, Tanev is one of the "drivers" of the defense. Who takes over the top PK duties? My hopes is that Tryamkin would, but we will need to see if he is a feasible option before unloading Tanev and Tryamkin may not even be here until late March or April at the earliest if at all this season.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Do you not think Tanev has contributed to where we are today? He isn't some insignificant piece. Whether he helps us get the rest of the way to the playoffs or wins us a Cup isn't important (although I do think he would be a key part still, especially considering he's our top PK defender and a good balance to Hughes with his decent skating and high IQ) because he is part of the team. The players like him. If the entire team is going to win, then he's very much part of the team. No one downgrades their team heading into the playoffs. You go in with the best team moving forward. Every year counts as you don't know which year will be the one, you don't throw away any opportunities. When you hear Cinderella stories or 8th place teams winning the Cup, I doubt those teams were selling assets because they didn't think this would be their year anyway. Having the best playoff experience is going to outweigh whatever draft picks we are going to get who may or may not even pan out. We are getting past that window of needing to sell UFAs.

As long as Benning and crew keep hitting on late round picks (which we seem to be doing a fine job if so far), then it doesn't matter how many picks are added. Our prospect pool is filling up so we can push forward rather than rebuild forever.

I agree those players need to play and to see what we've got in them, but the playoff drive and playoffs is not the time to do this unless we have injuries or what not which opens up the opportunity for them. This is how you build a positive team culture (not selling away good team guys for "assets") and grow from experience (best possible team).

I should also add in part of the consideration is that if we make the playoffs, we are giving up our 1st. Might as well try and do the best we can to lower that pick are far as we can as well.

Tanev historically has crosshairs set on his back if another team wishes to upset the delicate balance of our D line up...

In playoff hockey, I highly doubt CT sees more than 5 games in a 7 game series.

We won’t be signing him next year.. and the season after that Edler will probably be gone..

perhaps I’m thinking further ahead than most..

but if we can benefit from trading Tanev while he is healthy, getting a good pick now is better than the eventual total loss that is pending.

CT is not going to make a difference to us in the playoffs.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Tanev historically has crosshairs set on his back if another team wishes to upset the delicate balance of our D line up...

We won’t be signing him next year.. and the season after that Edler will probably be gone..

but if we can benefit from trading Tanev while he is healthy, getting a good pick now is better than the eventual total loss that is pending.

Playing CT with ?Hughes is the game changer.  Hughes has the puck so much it’s way easier on .cT.  

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, stawns said:

on the surface, yes.  Beyond that, it's tanev who allows QH to play that way.

I’ll take the alternate version of Hughes keeping  Tanev healthy and looking good.

Compared to any other season with us, this will be the most games he’s played in a single season.

So what has changed that? Hughes has.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I’ll take the alternate version of Hughes keeping  Tanev healthy and looking good.

Compared to any other season with us, this will be the most games he’s played in a single season.

So what has changed that? Hughes has.

Hughes is a phenom.  Maybe trade Tanev if Tree comes back?  Hughes will make any partner appear better, right? 

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, smokes said:

You think the D will be all healthy the whole time?

Never been. But this year they look good. 
The only question marks this year in terms of “regularly out of the lineup” players, are Tanev and Edler. 

But unlike previous years, the depth on defence is better and the players more durable. Myers, Hughes, Fantenberg And Benn are all more durable than the players they replaced, which makes Tanev and Edler more durable in return as they are less taxed physically.

Im not saying the D will all be healthy the whole time. But this year is as good as any. 

18 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

So who do we replace Tanev with? If we don't have a chance with Tanev, then what are our chances without Tanev? We might as well tank now because what's the point?

To answer my own question, the point is to allow the young group to develop further in the next stage. You insulate them with the best team around them and let them gain experience without destroying their confidence. I've asked this several times, who replaces Tanev's top PK duties and do as fine of a job as him? If no one, then why downgrade the team heading into the playoffs (I doubt any team in the league does this)? You never know in any given year. Columbus didn't sell any of their UFAs that could've garnered much more than what Tanev would've fetched and they all walked and yet they are still in playoff contention today.

Did anyone predict Tampa would get swept? Everyone thought they were sure thing finalists. Projections mean nothing and that's why they still have to play the games. You've made a lot of predictions and state them as truth. Tanev will get hurt? Knock on wood, he's been so far so good. We won't be signing him next year? That's not the talk between the two sides. Tanev won't make a difference in the playoffs? How do you know? He's our best defensive dman (who rarely gets any credit) that has helped with Quinn's growth now and hopefully in the playoffs as well. Remember Tanev's OT goal earlier in the year? Perhaps he has a clutch goal in him yet. There is no doubt our team is better with Tanev than without, until we have someone that can replace him. He, alone, isn't going to win us the playoffs, but he sure is going to contribute towards that success.

If he walks for nothing, then the playoff experience that we gather for the young players by having the best team moving forward is going to outweigh the lottery ticket that we pick up (which likely is a set of conditions before we even net a 1st round pick). We will be fine whether we add whatever pick or not.

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Support players are just as important as the "drivers". With that said, Tanev is one of the "drivers" of the defense. Who takes over the top PK duties? My hopes is that Tryamkin would, but we will need to see if he is a feasible option before unloading Tanev and Tryamkin may not even be here until late March or April at the earliest if at all this season.

I think as fans we look to compare players in the way they play.

In this case,  Tanev is not Tryamkin..

and Tryamkin is not Tanev.

Each can be as effective as a D man but in different styles..

To add:    I’ve never seen Tanev clear an opponent from the front of the net or control and frustrate a large power forward, Or hit an opponent so hard it shuts down a play by totally wiping out a player.

Tryamkin by most accounts @Hairy Kneeland @Stierlitz has probably the most minutes on his team in a pk role.

again Tanev is not Tryamkin.. 

Benning has openly stated that big bodies matter in playoff hockey, using St Louis as an example.

if an opportunity existed to move Tanev for a good deal, knowing that Tryamkin was arriving..  I’d take Tryamkin on my team for the playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Fanta, Benn and Stecher are the weakest links.  

Tanev should stay. 

Cant wait to see Tryamkin back next year! 

EDLER - STETCHER

HUGHES - TANEV

TRYAMKIN - MYERS

Edited by Me_

8 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

So who do we replace Tanev with? If we don't have a chance with Tanev, then what are our chances without Tanev? We might as well tank now because what's the point?

We’ll see what unfolds, it’s hockey.. 
Without Tanev?  We’ve been down that road before too many times anyways and faired well.   
Tank???   your sky is falling lol 

To answer my own question, the point is to allow the young group to develop further in the next stage. You insulate them with the best team around them and let them gain experience without destroying their confidence. I've asked this several times, who replaces Tanev's top PK duties and do as fine of a job as him? If no one, then why downgrade the team heading into the playoffs (I doubt any team in the league does this)? You never know in any given year. Columbus didn't sell any of their UFAs that could've garnered much more than what Tanev would've fetched and they all walked and yet they are still in playoff contention today.

again, your making mountains out of a mole hill..  it’s one player,  one that may be the first to get injured.

How far do you see this team going in the playoffs?

i say lucky to see the 3rd rnd

Did anyone predict Tampa would get swept? Everyone thought they were sure thing finalists. Projections mean nothing and that's why they still have to play the games. You've made a lot of predictions and state them as truth. Tanev will get hurt? Knock on wood, he's been so far so good. We won't be signing him next year? That's not the talk between the two sides. Tanev won't make a difference in the playoffs? How do you know? He's our best defensive dman (who rarely gets any credit) that has helped with Quinn's growth now and hopefully in the playoffs as well. Remember Tanev's OT goal earlier in the year? Perhaps he has a clutch goal in him yet. There is no doubt our team is better with Tanev than without, until we have someone that can replace him. He, alone, isn't going to win us the playoffs, but he sure is going to contribute towards that success.

The arrival of Hughes has contributed to Tanev’s game and health more than Tanev has contributed to Hughes.

If he walks for nothing, then the playoff experience that we gather for the young players by having the best team moving forward is going to outweigh the lottery ticket that we pick up (which likely is a set of conditions before we even net a 1st round pick). We will be fine whether we add whatever pick or not.

The playoff experience will be there for the younger players without Tanev.

Tanev is not taking us into the playoffs, the Team is.

Do you seriously think we would get a lottery ticket pick for Tanev?

• Cheers 1