The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

14 minutes ago, Me_ said:

EDLER - STETCHER

HUGHES - TANEV

TRYAMKIN - MYERS

Probably have to replace Stecher with Rafferty due to Stech's qualifying offer. Only have so much cap.

Eriksson could just retire too on top of trading Sutter/Baer in the off-season and we could re-sign everybody if we wanted to. Wishful thinking though.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

So who do we replace Tanev with? If we don't have a chance with Tanev, then what are our chances without Tanev? We might as well tank now because what's the point?

To answer my own question, the point is to allow the young group to develop further in the next stage. You insulate them with the best team around them and let them gain experience without destroying their confidence. I've asked this several times, who replaces Tanev's top PK duties and do as fine of a job as him? If no one, then why downgrade the team heading into the playoffs (I doubt any team in the league does this)? You never know in any given year. Columbus didn't sell any of their UFAs that could've garnered much more than what Tanev would've fetched and they all walked and yet they are still in playoff contention today.

Did anyone predict Tampa would get swept? Everyone thought they were sure thing finalists. Projections mean nothing and that's why they still have to play the games. You've made a lot of predictions and state them as truth. Tanev will get hurt? Knock on wood, he's been so far so good. We won't be signing him next year? That's not the talk between the two sides. Tanev won't make a difference in the playoffs? How do you know? He's our best defensive dman (who rarely gets any credit) that has helped with Quinn's growth now and hopefully in the playoffs as well. Remember Tanev's OT goal earlier in the year? Perhaps he has a clutch goal in him yet. There is no doubt our team is better with Tanev than without, until we have someone that can replace him. He, alone, isn't going to win us the playoffs, but he sure is going to contribute towards that success.

If he walks for nothing, then the playoff experience that we gather for the young players by having the best team moving forward is going to outweigh the lottery ticket that we pick up (which likely is a set of conditions before we even net a 1st round pick). We will be fine whether we add whatever pick or not.

Nikita Tryamkin thread?

All great Stuff but maybe more appropriately discussed in the Chris Tanev thread?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

A massive amount of Hughes' ascension has been due to Tanev.    Not sure how a fan of this team wouldn't be aware of this.

Even bigger brain people might say Tanevs healthier because he’s playing with Hughes and playing more ozone minutes and not being put in compromising position as often because of Hughes making more ozone minute for him to play

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Agreed, I'd take my chances and re-sign him when he becomes a UFA.  Even if we lose him for nothing we got enough bank from the Petey/Hughes picks to not set this franchise back, plus I am confident he'll want to re-sign for a fair value.  

I feel Tanev will re-sign.

We can’t trade Tanev. He’s our best defensive d-man. We need him for a playoff long. It’s worth it for our young core players to try to make it to the second round and further. 

We should let him walk as a UFA he’s not worth his contract if he’s injured all the time. If he were to take a discount at 4M for 2/3 years I’d be all for that..

Ok...nothing in stone, and you can always deal with good problems as they show up...….

But, 

Myers is signed for this seasons and the next 4 after that

Tanev if signed will be signed for 3 or 4 more years

Then we have 3 young players vying for the number 5/6 spot

Tryamkin, Rafferty and Woo...……….all that would have been waiver exempt before these 2 contracts expire

I understand, we need to wait to see if it will be a problem....yes that makes sense

But we have to have spots for these guys to go to...…….yes, I know Woo will have 3 years of eligibility 

It a good problem, but we have to also watch our cap...……..Myers, Edler, Tanev, and Hughes will take up 24+ Million

If Tryamkin comes back, that will be another 2+ Million, Juolevi will be another Million, and 1 more will be approx...…..28 Million

That is a lot for that Defense

The sky is not falling...…..but lets watch that cap

5 hours ago, stawns said:

on the surface, yes.  Beyond that, it's tanev who allows QH to play that way.

Similar to how simply adding Myers (despite some critiquing his individual play) has had a domino effect of letting both Edler and Tanev play less) easier minutes, Tanev stay healthy and allow us to play Tanev with Hughes (rather than Edler) for deeper, better pairings and likely one of many reasons Hughes is having a Calder candidate season.

A lot of people look at these things on a very superficial/one dimensional/individual player level. Benning's playing a 3D/wizard chess hybrid.

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

We won’t be signing him next year.. and the season after that Edler will probably be gone..

That's a touch premature. Look, I've been one of the biggest proponents of trading Tanev (and would still technically be open to it... highly depending on return/plan to replace him) through the rebuild,  but that's not likely happening this year, short of the team falling off a cliff up to the TDL.

There's also no guarantee he's walking this summer either (though certainly possible). I think both sides make a solid effort to bring him back, that said the cap is going to be tight. He'll need to take a haircut to stay.

It's be shocked if Edler didn't sign a couple more one year deals before retiring as well.

1 hour ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Nikita Tryamkin thread?

All great Stuff but maybe more appropriately discussed in the Chris Tanev thread?

Just replying the topics in the thread. The connection I see is that Tryamkin is the expectation to fill Tanev's role, so I guess the discussion to the importance of Tanev has some relevance.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I think as fans we look to compare players in the way they play.

In this case,  Tanev is not Tryamkin..

and Tryamkin is not Tanev.

Each can be as effective as a D man but in different styles..

To add:    I’ve never seen Tanev clear an opponent from the front of the net or control and frustrate a large power forward, Or hit an opponent so hard it shuts down a play by totally wiping out a player.

Tryamkin by most accounts @Hairy Kneeland @Stierlitz has probably the most minutes on his team in a pk role.

again Tanev is not Tryamkin.. 

Benning has openly stated that big bodies matter in playoff hockey, using St Louis as an example.

if an opportunity existed to move Tanev for a good deal, knowing that Tryamkin was arriving..  I’d take Tryamkin on my team for the playoffs.

I'd take Tryamkin for my playoff team as well. But I'd also keep Tanev for the playoff run because that combination is depth and gives us the best team moving forward. If Tryamkin proves his worth, letting Tanev walk is an easier pill to swallow.

I've been one those suggesting that Tryamkin could replace Tanev next year because of his role in the KHL and how it could translate here. I just don't think someone coming potentially just before the playoffs starts and moving someone out at the trade deadline is a good way to roll into the playoffs. I think we want the best team possible because we don't know how it'll all play out in the end despite projections.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

34 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I'd take Tryamkin for my playoff team as well. But I'd also keep Tanev for the playoff run because that combination is depth and gives us the best team moving forward. If Tryamkin proves his worth, letting Tanev walk is an easier pill to swallow.

I've been one those suggesting that Tryamkin could replace Tanev next year because of his role in the KHL and how it could translate here. I just don't think someone coming potentially just before the playoffs starts and moving someone out at the trade deadline is a good way to roll into the playoffs. I think we want the best team possible because we don't know how it'll all play out in the end despite projections.

... I just like the idea of getting something for Tanev now..  this is not dis similar to the Hamhuis situation,.  Tanev could theoretically return for the right numbers..  and we would get to possibly see  OJ Rafferty Breisbois and others in the meantime.

7 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

... I just like the idea of getting something for Tanev now..  this is not dis similar to the Hamhuis situation,.  Tanev could theoretically return for the right numbers..  and we would get to possibly see  OJ Rafferty Breisbois and others in the meantime.

I think it's very different than the Hamhuis situation. Our team at that time was declining, it made sense to move him at that point. We let him walk for nothing because the team that originally made an offer balked and we chose to not let them have him for cheap so we don't look like a team that will give in.

In Tanev's situation, we are on the cusp of making the playoffs with a new core. A young core that hasn't seen NHL playoff hockey for the most part. This is the time to see what they've got and they need the support just like through all the years that we have surrounded them with veteran presence to take the hard minutes and insulate them. Look at the team and their progression, the playoffs are a different beast and it's best to have the best team going in.

If Tanev walks, at least he gave us the best chance a winning (not singlehandedly, but contributing in what he does). I've been saying all along that we can view it as a playoff rental in which many teams trade picks and such to acquire, but instead we have one for free and has chemistry with our team and our best up and coming young defender.

OJ and Brisebois are both LD, so have no bearing on the RD situation. If Rafferty doesn't pan out and since we would be losing out on our top PK defender, we could very well back into the playoffs which is no good for the confidence. There's a chance we get through it anyway, but it's certainly a downgrade on the team which no team entering the playoffs does.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

This is very different from the Hamhuis situation, we are sitting in first in the division in control of our own destiny as far as the playoffs go, back when we tried to trade Hamhuis we were out of the playoff race, I think Tanevs experience and what he would bring for the young players would far out way a 2nd 3rd or 4th round draft pick who may or may not ever see an NHL game 3 years down the road.

Guess I should have read the post above, pretty much says the same thing

Edited by mikkim

18 hours ago, SilentSam said:

...and drastically reduce the chance of going deep into the playoffs with the most interestingly improved team I’ve seen in years.

When I saw Tanev crash into Hertl and NOT get injured, I felt we may have finally turned the corner with Tanev. Instead, Hertl got injured.

Tanev seems fresh out there due to depth. The playoffs are going to be tough. A Canucks team with Tanev on it is a much better team than a team without Tanev on it.

However, due diligence dictates that the organization asks what Tanev’s plans are. If he is to bolt at the end of the season, that’s a discussion that could lead to a trade deadline deal. But in light of the current standings, if he were to be asked if he wanted to stay and said yes, you re-sign him.

Bringing in Myers really stabilized the D. Hughes is running circles around everyone and Tanev is the perfect partner for him. 

Bringing in Tryamkin would just further keep the other defensemen even fresher as he can take a good chunk of animosity away from others.

Another aspect of bringing in Tryamkin is that he wouldn’t cost anything in terms of trades Benning would be making at the trade deadline.

How much would a 6’7” Nasty D would cost to acquire? And really, who would that be?

I. would love. to see what Tryamkin does in the playoffs where whistles are put away.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

well if we weren't in a playoff hunt I would trade Tanev in a instant  but a playoff spot is way more important to this team right now than a 2 nd round pick, . Tanev  just does so many lil things  pk, blocking shots   feeding the rookies  and letting hughes play his game , he is just too valuable right now  , If you wanna dump someone  trade stecher  he isn't going to be worth the money to resign  and way easier to replace 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, the grinder said:

well if we weren't in a playoff hunt I would trade Tanev in a instant  but a playoff spot is way more important to this team right now than a 2 nd round pick, . Tanev  just does so many lil things  pk, blocking shots   feeding the rookies  and letting hughes play his game , he is just too valuable right now  , If you wanna dump someone  trade stecher  he isn't going to be worth the money to resign  and way easier to replace 

When all things are said and done, Stetcher is probably the guy to go yes.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

We’ll see what unfolds, it’s hockey.. 
Without Tanev?  We’ve been down that road before too many times anyways and faired well.   
Tank???   your sky is falling lol 

We have been down that road...during the years that our team had been bottom feeders, so hard to say we fared well. Healthy this year (knock on wood) and look where we are now? 

Not saying it's a direct correlation, but it certainly helps to have Tanev than to not have him.

I'm not the one suggesting that we aren't winning the Cup with Tanev. I think he gives us the best team moving forward. Tanev isn't some insignificant piece to our team, so if we aren't winning with him, we certainly downgrade our chances to win without him.

again, your making mountains out of a mole hill..  it’s one player,  one that may be the first to get injured.

How far do you see this team going in the playoffs?

i say lucky to see the 3rd rnd

At the start of the season, I expected us to either just sneak into the playoffs or possibly just miss it. They are further ahead than I thought. I'd like to see where this team can go and sounds like Benning agrees. Tanev is one player, but he's also a top 4 dman that takes a lot of the actual defensive responsibilities and has helped contribute towards getting Hughes to where he is today (Hughes gave him high praise at the start of the season about how smart of a player he is). He may or may not get hurt, but we are a better team with him in the lineup.

The arrival of Hughes has contributed to Tanev’s game and health more than Tanev has contributed to Hughes.

Hughes' arrival has been greatly contributed by Tanev. Hughes may have found his own legs already, but they have good chemistry together. Hughes is the young kid, usually they are insulated by the veteran. They have both benefitted from each other.

The playoff experience will be there for the younger players without Tanev.

Tanev is not taking us into the playoffs, the Team is.

Do you seriously think we would get a lottery ticket pick for Tanev?

Tanev is very much part of the team. It's naive to think that Tanev does not have a significant impact to this current team.

I never said we would get a lottery pick. Not sure where you got that from. Who would be trading for him? Certainly not non playoff teams. Tanev might fetch something like a 3rd that climbs based on team performance and if he re-signs with them. The playoff experience with him in the lineup for the young core (to give us the best team heading into the playoffs) is going to outweigh whatever pick where the odds aren't even high that they will pan out.

25 minutes ago, Me_ said:

How much would a 6’7” Nasty D would cost to acquire? And really, who would that be?

I'd still like to see us acquire Ristolainen (not at the trade deadline). Have a right side of Ristolainen, Myers and Tryamkin (still on topic). With Hughes, Juolevi, Rathbone on the left (Edler, and Benn/Fantenberg/Brisebois in the meantime).

Would cost us to acquire Ristolainen though. Not sure what they would want.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Me_ said:

...and drastically reduce the chance of going deep into true playoffs in this most interestingly improved team I’ve seen in years.

When I saw Tanev crash into Hertl and NOT get injured, I felt we may have finally turned the corner with Tanev. Instead, Hertl got injured.

Tanev seems fresh out there due to depth. The playoffs are going to be tough. A Canucks team with Tanev on it is a much better team than a team without Tanev on it.

However, due diligence dictates that the organization asks what Tanev’s plans are. If it is to bolt at the end of the season, that’s a discussion that could lead to a draft deadline deal. But in light of the current standings, if he were to be asked if he wanted to stay and said yes, you re-sign him.

Bringing in Myers really stabilized the D. Hughes is running circles around everyone and Tanev is the perfect partner for him. 

Bringing in Tryamkin would just further keep the other defensemen even fresher as he can take a good chunk of animosity away from others.

Another aspect of bringing in Tryamkin is that he wouldn’t cost anything in terms of trades Benning would be making at the trade deadline.

I. would love. to see what Tryamkin does in the playoffs where whistles are put away.

Unless his presence has a negative impact on team chemistry.  Go with the guys have got us to this point.

Jordie  Benn is not forgotten and is an NHL defensemen 

BFG needs to earn his spot in Sept Oct like everyone else  did, IMHO 

Edited by AbrasiveAjax
Oops
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

59 minutes ago, mikkim said:

This is very different from the Hamhuis situation, we are sitting in first in the division in control of our own destiny as far as the playoffs go, back when we tried to trade Hamhuis we were out of the playoff race, I think Tanevs experience and what he would bring for the young players would far out way a 2nd 3rd or 4th round draft pick who may or may not ever see an NHL game 3 years down the road.

Guess I should have read the post above, pretty much says the same thing

We have played without Tanev before,.  And if we go into the playoffs we stand a very good chance of losing him to injury before the playoffs, or in the 1st round of.

i highly doubt we sign him next season,  are farm is budding with D talent that needs to play .

..and to resign an injury prone 30 year old D man for over 4m per a season with term is a gamble.
Getting something for Tanev NOW .. or at the TDL makes sense.

Hamhuis was a loss to opportunity..

Tanev will be the same unless it’s acted on.