1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

What is a reasonable offer for Stech? 

And possible hometown discount.

Salary offer or trade? 

I'm assuming salary as you mentioned home town discount. I think he could probably get $2.5-$3m x 2 or 3 years on the open market.

I'm hoping we could get him closer to $2-2.5m x 1 or 2 years to stay.

• Hydration 1

stecher will be traded for picks tryamkin will solidify our top 4 

edler myers

hughes tryamkin

third pairing can fight it out

for spots

juolevi rafferty brisebois benn 

• Like 1
  • Hydration 3

On 3/31/2020 at 2:20 PM, Kobayashi Maru said:

I would like to see us stop moving all of the existing deck chairs around.  We need a D that compliments what we want to do at F and as a system.  That appears to be an up-tempo pace with grit/pushback so we should find players that compliment that.  Bringing in Tryamkin, one more bigger name (still thinking Risolainen is the right fit which would cost a bit), and maybe a rookie to bring in some youthful jump (Joulevi or Rafferty).  I am a big Tanev fan, but unless his cap is neutral to his current contract, it likely doesn't make sense.  Stecher I like as well, but not at his likely new contract.  He doesn't process the game fast enough to pay 3M per year to be an energy guy.  So something like:

Edler Ristolainen

Hughes Tryamkin

Joulevi Myers

This gives us puck movers at every position with a balance of offensive and defensive awareness.  Plus, the only players that give limited grit would be Hughes and Joulevi.   That D would also likely be the largest average D grouping that the league has ever seen.

That is quite the fantasy line up but I really like it.

Although honestly, I would prefer Tanev instead of Myers.   Don't misunderstand this, I don't mind Myers. But instead of paying him 6 mill per I would MUCH prefer Tanev at 4 mill per which I think he would re sign at.

Posted (edited)

I love Tanev but him sitting for 20 or 30 games every year is tough. Was this season a fluke? Who knows. 4.5 is fair but not if he only plays for 2.5 or 3 million of it. Then that just  puts a strain on the other 5 defenseman. The question then is if we spend on a top Dman UFA who is more durable, just as effective on pk (and probably more offensive) @ 5 to 5.5 m?

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Do you have a source for that other than the latest province clip/ interview Pete?

No ...heard it on TSN1040 or it might of been whining and sniveling that turned into a discussion about Tryamkin and talks with Diamond.

Edited by Pete M
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I love Tanev but him sitting for 20 or 30 games every year is tough. Was this season a fluke? Who knows. 4.5 is fair but not if he only plays for 2.5 or 3 million of it. Then that just  puts a strain on the other 5 defenseman. The question then is if we spend on a top Dman UFA who is more durable, just as effective on pk (and probably more offensive) @ 5 to 5.5 m?

The only impending FA who fits this bill is Vatanen and he isn't significantly more durable than Tanev I think.

• Hydration 1

51 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Hughes absorbs the work that Tanev can not do..  Hughes creates the Time and space for Tanev to survive.

Your top 2 or to D men should be able to pair with almost anybody.

Thats why using Tanev as our #1 or #2 D man has not transpired to a full season of hockey for him.

He is a pairing D man, not a 1-2..  but again , his injury history does not warrant a new contract here.

I really wanted us to trade him..  in hindsight now with the way this season looks like it will be Canceled..  

Time to move forward..  lots of grit and finesse on the way.

perhaps another addition .

i would love to see Risto here with Myers and Tryamkin.. that’s some rock and roll on each pairing.

• Burr 1

11 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Do you seriously believe that a durable, effective top Dman can be acquired through UFA for 5 to 5.5M ? Maybe if the salary cap drops to below 70M, otherwise not a chance.

• Hydration 1

Posted (edited)

Some D UFA's:

Brodie 4.6m, Kulikov 4.5m, Ericsson 4.2m, Scandella 4.0m, Braun 3.8m, Dillon 3.2m, Edmunson 3.1m,  Norbert 2.5m, K. Miller 2.5m, Polak 1.7m,  Stone 1.2m, Petrovic .7m 

These are d man that we can consider.

Pieterangelo will probably resign.

There are a few others but are generally on the smaller side. Or play smaller.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Thanks 1

On 3/31/2020 at 8:40 PM, Pete M said:

I hear talks have started.

Diamond on air said they have been in contact... but that things are on hold until all this other stuff gets worked out.

You can’t really have discussions until you know the landscape with the cap, compliance buyouts, etc.

A reporter has also said that Tryamkin’s KHL team wants to re-sign has been told he is going to try getting an NHL contract first.

I don’t think it is a slam dunk though.  Tryamkin’s camp and some folks here think he is a legit top 4 guy.  The team probably thinks he is still a big risk and probably a 3rd pairing level guy with value like Benn and Fantenberg. 

30 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Probably the same guy who asked if OJ was injury prone.

If the glove fits? You must ah never mind...

At 25, doesn't big Nik have to clear waivers to be assigned to the minors anyway?  Add to it that it will be a one way contract. Not that we have not buried contracts. 

But it was just a dumb question the reporter asked. 

• Hydration 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

If the glove fits? You must ah never mind...

At 25, doesn't big Nik have to clear waivers to be assigned to the minors anyway?  Add to it that it will be a one way contract. Not that we have not buried contracts. 

But it was just a dumb question the reporter asked. 

I think the main purpose of the question was just being about to post a quote on social media and rile people up.

And it worked. So many people on twitter now talking about the tired, old “entitlement issues” with Tryamkin and his unwillingness to play in the AHL.

• Hydration 1

I can't wait to see him in action. Knocking guys, clearing the crease, and having 3 guys chasing him down after a good hit. He could actually draw penalties that way.

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 2

4 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I can't wait to see him in action. Knocking guys, clearing the crease, and having 3 guys chasing him down after a good hit. He could actually draw penalties that way.

.. all with his normal cool “Terminator” demeanour ..

B073EF4F-D7ED-4C01-9306-3FC7C824072A.jpeg

• Haha 1