The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

22 minutes ago, kylecanuck said:

I don't know how to do the edit in other people, and I'm also way to lazy to try hahaha. 

It's been eluded to quite a bit on here though that he is a number one D man on a playoff team. He was certainly a number one on our team, but that showed our lack of top end talent rather then the norm across the NHL

He's neither a number one on our team or elsewhere, nor has anyone particularly 'eluded to' him being one. Don't make straw men arguments.

What he is, is an elite defensively, exceedingly smart, excellent skating, puck transitioning defenseman. If you insist on putting a number on him, I'd suggest a #2 or #3 D +/-.

Either of which are better than the likely #4-#5 D that Tryamkin has thus far shown he might be capable of. His younger age, size, reach etc are great but they don't make him a better defenseman than Tanev.

Edited by aGENT

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's neither a number one on our team or elsewhere, nor has anyone particularly 'eluded to' him being one. Don't make straw men arguments.

What he is, is an elite defensively, exceedingly smart, excellent skating, puck transitioning defenseman. If you insist on putting a number on him, I'd suggest a #2 or #3 D +/-.

Either of which are better than the likely #4-#5 D that Tryamkin has thus far shown he might be capable of. His younger age, size, reach etc are great but they don't make him a better defenseman than Tanev.

Ok, I won't make straw men comments, whatever that means. I will talk about how people over value him as a elite defensive, excellent skating, puck transition Defenseman. 

He is very good in a lot of ways but he lacks too much to be a one or two D man on a cup contending team is what I'm saying... You can throw any opinion you want at me but the only back up you have is a plus minus stat, and your own opinion. 

There's no offense, look at his numbers, no physical defense, because he is injury prone, and his skating is not even close to exceptional as it's his smarts on the ice that keeps him in the right position. His injury history is enough to make him to unreliable to be considered top two on anyone who wants to compete for the cup. 

You can't focus on his few good, not exceptional things and ignore the rest of his game..

Yes he is great positionally, yes he gets the puck out quite a bit, and yes he is great at blocking shots, and it sounds like he is a great team mate. I have loved having him on the team, and loved watching him play but that doesn't mean I can't see the shortcomings in his game. 

And please, talk to me on the Tanev thread if you want to keep talking about Tanev, I am out of here. 

Let's go Tryamkin!!

51 minutes ago, aliboy said:

19 days until the end of the regular season? And then if they make the playoffs we'll all by cheering them to lose as quickly as possible.

There's been zero indication he's coming over when his season is over

14 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

I dont believe there was ever a plan he was going to be joining the team at the end of this year ...It would be next season,

Pretty sure his agent and Benning both suggested he would be available after his season is over, March, April at the latest. At that point his cap hit will be negligible and he doesn't cost the team any assets.

It would give Green the opportunity to play him, like Boerser and Hughes were, for him to measure him out. After last time Tryamkin has already stated he knows he has to be in better shape. I think he could be a Tanev replacement at the least and maybe almost a Chara. I remember he had a wicked shot, exceptional first pass and skated better than half the team.

He could make both Stecher and Tanev TDL assets.

1 minute ago, Lazurus said:

Pretty sure his agent and Benning both suggested he would be available after his season is over, March, April at the latest. At that point his cap hit will be negligible and he doesn't cost the team any assets.

It would give Green the opportunity to play him, like Boerser and Hughes were, for him to measure him out. After last time Tryamkin has already stated he knows he has to be in better shape. I think he could be a Tanev replacement at the least and maybe almost a Chara. I remember he had a wicked shot, exceptional first pass and skated better than half the team.

I have not seen this..can you provide a source?

11 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

I think your expectations for him are way to optimistic. He’s likely going to be a bottom pairing guy. I guess we’ll see. But hoping him to be Chara lite is just setting yourself up for disappointment 

Just now, Honky Cat said:

650 sportsnet

“We feel Nikita can play for any club in the NHL,” Tryamkin’s agent Todd Diamond said via text message. “Vancouver has his exclusive NHL rights, he is familiar with the city, ownership, management and staff, and we will engage in talks after Nikita’s KHL season.

“Obviously he’s on our reserve list,” Benning said Thursday morning. “Our pro scouts continue to watch and keep tabs on him. When his season is over and his contract is up, I’ll speak with Todd.”

“Nikita is a guy we know can play in the league. He’s a good skater for his size and he can make a good first pass.”

Benning and his pro scouts held meetings last week in Vancouver, taking stock of the players they may want to add to their roster, should the opportunity arise.

The team’s stock of looming free agents was also part of the discussion.

“We have some decisions to make from now until the end of the year,” he said.

While not coming out and guaranteeing an instant return, if he comes back it is good for the Canucks in so many ways, cap wise and in negotiations.

This is about as close as it can be stated especially if they said he would it gives leverage to the other side or fan discontent if they failed

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I think your expectations for him are way to optimistic. He’s likely going to be a bottom pairing guy. I guess we’ll see. But hoping him to be Chara lite is just setting yourself up for disappointment 

Maybe, after all he was statistically the best or next to it and there was only Stecher, Edler, Tanev, Gudbranson, Hutton here at the time so I guess it might have been easy to be better than them.

More interested in his mobility and toughness overall, nobody skated around him, he wiped out Benn a couple of times, not many do that and took on the entire Anahiem team and didn't lose, he did get under their skin. When was the last time a Canuck player had an impact just by being there? While for a different reason, Bure was like that.

He would have to play again though, but he doesn't cost anything. Plays left and right sides, name any defense men on the team that do now. At 25 he could be around for 10 years, there just isn't a lot of 6'7" guys more mobile than Myers out there.

28 minutes ago, stawns said:

There's been zero indication he's coming over when his season is over

There’s also is some indication he is coming back this season.

both parties are on the record saying they want Tryamkin back in the NHL and hopefully with the Canucks.  Jimbo has also stated on the tsn 1040 radio he wants too sign him ASAP but has to wait til the KHL contract ends( as we know)....Jimbo has also said he has been in talks with Tryamkins agent.

young Tryamkin first joined the Canucks in I think March 9th, so we could presume the same could happen it depends on the K playoffs and if his team fully releases him from his contract like last time or if Canucks need to wait til the KHL is fully finished in late April in which his contract is officially over.

All in all its a wait and see what happens..what is the only known thing is...Canucks need too sign him or lose him for free.

IMO if Jimbo doesn’t trade Tryamkiins rights at the TDL....Then it means Tryamkin is signing and coming ASAP and if Jimbo trades his rights at the TDL it means Tryamkin was never intending on signing with the Canucks..which I don’t want too believe.

anywho i hope he’s in a Canuck uni sooner better then later.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

650 sportsnet

“We feel Nikita can play for any club in the NHL,” Tryamkin’s agent Todd Diamond said via text message. “Vancouver has his exclusive NHL rights, he is familiar with the city, ownership, management and staff, and we will engage in talks after Nikita’s KHL season.

“Obviously he’s on our reserve list,” Benning said Thursday morning. “Our pro scouts continue to watch and keep tabs on him. When his season is over and his contract is up, I’ll speak with Todd.”

“Nikita is a guy we know can play in the league. He’s a good skater for his size and he can make a good first pass.”

Benning and his pro scouts held meetings last week in Vancouver, taking stock of the players they may want to add to their roster, should the opportunity arise.

While not coming out and guaranteeing an instant return, if he comes back it is good for the Canucks in so many ways, cap wise and in negotiations.

This is about as close as it can be stated especially if they said he would it gives leverage to the other side or fan discontent if they failed

Appreciate you posting this, I'm sure JB will be in like a dirty shirt once his season ends and he's released. I do realize that it isn't done until it's done, but we can be hopeful.

31 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Look for yourself ...at TSN team 1040 old radio bits...i heard it live plus I listen too the clip again on the TSN website it was around early January I know you can find it there if you look.

if you want a source don’t be lazy and look....I pointed you in the right direction 

5 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Look for yourself ...at TSN team 1040 old radio bits...i heard it live plus I listen too the clip again on the TSN website it was around early January I know you can find it there if you look.

if you want a source don’t be lazy and look....I pointed you in the right direction 

Sources were provided by Lazurus, I just quoted them.

Edited by aliboy
  • Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, aliboy said:

Appreciate you posting this, I'm sure JB will be in like a dirty shirt once his season ends and he's released. I do realize that it isn't done until it's done, but we can be hopeful.

When his season is over and his contract is up, I’ll speak with Todd.”

Benning doesn't actually have to wait until the season is over because there is no agreement with the KHL. And a new KHL rule suggests if may be April 30th before his current team releases him, that would give the Canucks only two games here. But Tryamkin could buy out his own contract after the season which is their loop hole. Earliest could be in two weeks if they don't make the playoffs, Feb 20th I think it is.

Edited by Lazurus

5 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

When his season is over and his contract is up, I’ll speak with Todd.”

Benning doesn't actually have to wait until the season is over because there is no agreement with the KHL. And a new KHL rule suggests if may be April 30th before his current team releases him, that would give the Canucks only two games here. But Tryamkin could buy out his own contract after the season which is their loop hole. Earliest could be in two weeks if they don't make the playoffs, Feb 20th I think it is.

It's quite likely that he'll be released as soon as the team is done, we just have to wait and see.

58 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

650 sportsnet

that says nothing about him joining the Canucks this season. When his season is over, they'll talk, see if there's interest and common ground on price.  It's not only not guaranteeing anything, it makes zero mention of him playing this year.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:
1 hour ago, Honky Cat said:

I dont believe there was ever a plan he was going to be joining the team at the end of this year ...It would be next season,

agreed

Plan? Judging from the cap situation it looks like "I'll deal with it tomorrow" or "When the time comes" or it is planned so there is an automatic "can't do deals because of the cap" meaning, "it is so hard now because they have to be dollar for dollar deals"

Whatever, only a month to go but IF Benning somehow can find it to negotiate a deal on the QT then he can "plan" to make deals at the TDL. TDL, as Brian Burke has stated many times, this is when GM's make mistakes and over pay or get taken advantage of, so it is the right time to help the "plan" for the future if there is one.

2 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Plan? Judging from the cap situation it looks like "I'll deal with it tomorrow" or "When the time comes" or it is planned so there is an automatic "can't do deals because of the cap" meaning, "it is so hard now because they have to be dollar for dollar deals"

Whatever, only a month to go but IF Benning somehow can find it to negotiate a deal on the QT then he can "plan" to make deals at the TDL. TDL, as Brian Burke has stated many times, this is when GM's make mistakes and over pay or get taken advantage of, so it is the right time to help the "plan" for the future if there is one.

taylor swift what GIF

• Haha 2