Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Pretty much this.

 

He can take Benn’s money since I don’t think we can justify having him as a number 7 making 2 mil. A trade will likely have to be made there unless we let Tanev walk.

 

Edler Stecher

Hughes Myers

Benn Tryamkin

 

Not the best looking D but we’d save around 3 mil from letting Tanev walk.

 

 If JB has to pay a hefty price to acquire a player who is only a marginal improvement on Tanev I would rather just re up Papa Tanev. 

 

Hughes Tanev/Other

Edler Brogan (Impressive season I want to see what he can do in Stetchers spot.)

Tryamkin Myers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hammertime said:

I would rather just re up Papa Tanev. 

I do worry about our prospects and young players, if and when Tanev finally leaves.

 

Chris and Kendra are basically the billet parents for every young Canucks player. 
 

Don’t know how those kids are gonna keep themselves fed without regular dinners at “Dad’s” place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Pretty much this.

 

He can take Benn’s money since I don’t think we can justify having him as a number 7 making 2 mil. A trade will likely have to be made there unless we let Tanev walk.


With Tanev:

 

Edler Stecher

Hughes Tanev

Tyramkin Myers

 

Without Tanev:

 

Edler Stecher

Hughes Myers

Benn Tryamkin

 

Not the best looking D but we’d save around 3 mil from letting Tanev walk. The first core is obviously better it comes down to cap space.

 

IMO Benning has to think 2-3 years out. The interim years are about developing the d-core to be serious CUP contenders. 3 years out and the only players I still see with the club is Hughes, Myers and Tryamkin if he is signed. Maybe Edler for his vet presence as a 6D or 7D. That will be a major transition and suggest that Benning will try and deal for another top 4 or sign a UFA. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, stawns said:

if he stays healthy, Tanev is currently a better dman than Try will likely ever be.  That's a big "if" though

One career ending,  another beginning. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2020 at 9:57 AM, SilentSam said:

Will be a shame we didn’t ship Tanev this season for a pick.

Silly.

 

Teams pushing to make the playoffs don't trade their best defensive D man lol.

  • Vintage 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Silly.

 

Teams pushing to make the playoffs don't trade their best defensive D man lol.

If he’s our best, then there is lots to worry about. Lol.

... and less to worry about a guy that isn’t signed yet.

 

Edited by SilentSam
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would love for Tryamkin to come back. But, I don't know if he'll want to be a 6th or 7th defenseman.
Maybe he has matured over the time he has been away, and learned more English.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think he’s a better player today too, than when he left. More mature, more seasoned, more experienced, more committed to his fitness, wiser to the expectations in the NHL, etc. 
 

I just don’t feel like he’s raised his value all that much. Generally speaking, when guys go over to Europe, they don’t add significant NHL value, as far as next contracts, unless they post eye-popping numbers, or show a significant upward trajectory. 
 

I agree there are reasons for optimism. And I’ve been pretty consistent in batting down claims by folks that seek to portray Tryamkin in the most negative light, whether that’s his “entitlement issues” or his quality of play. I’ve been a backer of Nik, over the past three seasons. And I still am.

 

It just irks me to see people thinking we should just throw $3-4 million at Tryamkin, when it shouldn’t be necessary to spend anywhere near that much to get him back here. Sure, the rumours coming out suggest he wants $3+ million. Those are “feelers” coming from his camp. It’s an agent’s job to start high in any negotiation. Management starts low, and they meet in the middle.

 

I guess it just rubs me the wrong way to see folks saying, just give Tryamkin his asking price and whatever term he wants. Why? This is not a player with that kind of negotiating power. Nowhere near it.

 

And as far as the “we’re only talking about a difference of $1 million” argument, that money does matter. Every salary matters. Every negotiation matters. Paying too much for one player affects the next negotiation. It affects the overall salary structure. Certainly, in isolation, paying a million over market value on a single player will not break the bank. But habitually paying over market will significantly impact team building in a cap system. It’s management’s job to get the best value possible out of contracts. And I’m hopeful they will, in the case of Tryamkin.

Then the argument should be that 6 mil is too much for Edler,  and the thought of paying Tanev 5+ m per in UFA is eye rolling..
.. and don’t get me started on Dead head Eriksson.

The truth is we are arguing over a million dollars because of the above players and the Luongo Shtick.

So Tryamkin takes the heat over a difference of a million dollars because of other mis givings.

Lets scrutinize what is truly disproportionate,

the top end and the lack of attrition,

not the bottom end and the real future.

 

.. 2m for one season would put NT into UFA.

by then he will have proved himself to be worth 4+ per..

3 mil is close to appropriate for anything around to a 2-4 year deal.

I think the beginning of next season it’s without Tanev, signing him to anything long term is going to bite.. so is anything over what he already makes.. he is over rated.

This team is long over due to be bringing its D prospects in to play.

Rafferty as a 25 year old will do fine.

Rathbone might be another sweet surprise like Hughes.

Breisboise is chomping at the bit.

 

again, I’m sure Tryamkin just wants to play, and what ever amount he signs for is probably more concerning for us than what it needs to be.

There are bigger fish to fry.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I think he’s a better player today too, than when he left. More mature, more seasoned, more experienced, more committed to his fitness, wiser to the expectations in the NHL, etc. 
 

I just don’t feel like he’s raised his value all that much. Generally speaking, when guys go over to Europe, they don’t add significant NHL value, as far as next contracts, unless they post eye-popping numbers, or show a significant upward trajectory. 
 

I agree there are reasons for optimism. And I’ve been pretty consistent in batting down claims by folks that seek to portray Tryamkin in the most negative light, whether that’s his “entitlement issues” or his quality of play. I’ve been a backer of Nik, over the past three seasons. And I still am.

 

It just irks me to see people thinking we should just throw $3-4 million at Tryamkin, when it shouldn’t be necessary to spend anywhere near that much to get him back here. Sure, the rumours coming out suggest he wants $3+ million. Those are “feelers” coming from his camp. It’s an agent’s job to start high in any negotiation. Management starts low, and they meet in the middle.

 

I guess it just rubs me the wrong way to see folks saying, just give Tryamkin his asking price and whatever term he wants. Why? This is not a player with that kind of negotiating power. Nowhere near it.

 

And as far as the “we’re only talking about a difference of $1 million” argument, that money does matter. Every salary matters. Every negotiation matters. Paying too much for one player affects the next negotiation. It affects the overall salary structure. Certainly, in isolation, paying a million over market value on a single player will not break the bank. But habitually paying over market will significantly impact team building in a cap system. It’s management’s job to get the best value possible out of contracts. And I’m hopeful they will, in the case of Tryamkin.

do you know what is irking me, Sid?

 

People have ear marked Tryamkin as a #6 or #7

When training camp is where that is determined

 

My opinion he will get a 2 to 4 year deal in the 2.5 to 3.5 Million per

With the 2 Million coming on the shorter deal and the 3.5 coming on a 3 or 4 year deal

 

IMO, the problem is the Max. Cap and how it impacts the Canucks

 

6 Million has to come off the Team cap...………..

Either a compliance buy out or not signing one of Toffoli, Tanev, or Markstrom

 

The whole league is paralyzed with the lack of what will happen

To me, the league should move on this soon...…….....

As it makes sense to announce it now so that teams can start planning

 

As I understand it...……..

 

1. 24 man round robin (Starts in late June ?)

2. draft ( should come early September )

3. free agency. (should come shortly thereafter ???)

4. 2 week rest

5. Training camp (late September)

6. League start up for the 2020 - 2021 season (Early October)

7. League shut down (Early November)

 

And somewhere in there Tryamkin has to decide whether he waits or re-signs in the KHL)

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

do you know what is irking me, Sid?

 

People have ear marked Tryamkin as a #6 or #7

When training camp is where that is determined

No, people are saying that is what he should get paid as since he hasn’t proven anything else.
 

If he can progress to something more then everyone is happy.

 

The reports are that his camp is only looking for a 1 “show me” year deal.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SilentSam said:

One career ending,  another beginning. 

In a tough playoff round I think Tryamkin will pay bigger dividends due to his physicality, he's a lot stronger than Tanev in the crease. A game 7 against a big heavy team. Tryamkin will show his worth. 

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Provost said:

No, people are saying that is what he should get paid as since he hasn’t proven anything else.
 

If he can progress to something more then everyone is happy.

 

The reports are that his camp is only looking for a 1 “show me” year deal.

 

Looks like the Canucks may try to trade Benn in order to pay Tryamkin around $2,000,000/yr.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Looks like the Canucks may try to trade Benn in order to pay Tryamkin around $2,000,000/yr.

 

 

I hadn’t heard that, but that would be a good day plan.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why the drama of 3 M. 

There was never this much criticism of Hutton raking in 2.8 over his last 3 seasons when he was mere shadow of his first season. 3 years draggin his ass getting paid top dollar? I think 3 million is fair over 2 or 3 seasons for Try.  He'll prove himself as a defense first D man. No lofty point totals because he isn't no Hughes in the O zone. But will have Hughes back when the play swings back to our end. After watching him play these past few seasons he can and is good at neutralizing threats. And Huggy will appreciate that. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Provost said:

I hadn’t heard that, but that would be a good day plan.  

Canucks Mailbag
 

There are a lot of moving parts on the blue line. The only certainties for next season are Alex Edler, Tyler Myers and Quinn Hughes. UFA Chris Tanev and RFA Troy Stecher could both be salary-cap casualties, and the team is expected to try moving Jordie Benn. Benn’s US$2 million salary could go to Nikita Tryamkin, and there’s a chance Brogan Rafferty makes the NHL roster after his excellent season in the AHL. Outstanding prospect Jack Rathbone could even play his way into NHL duty if he leaves Harvard, but that seems unlikely due to all the uncertainty in the hockey world – and real world – these days. After that, there’s still a chance for Juolevi on the left side. Unless the Canucks get Tanev and/or Stecher back at salaries that fit the cap, Vancouver will have to go on the market for another defenceman or two.”

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

In a tough playoff round I think Tryamkin will pay bigger dividends due to his physicality, he's a lot stronger than Tanev in the crease. A game 7 against a big heavy team. Tryamkin will show his worth. 

Absolutely.

People forget that when  Tryamkin finishes a check ,. And you and I witnessed it this season HK,. he is either putting that offensive play to it’s full stop for a teammate to have puck advantage,. Or he is taking that offensive player out of the play, usually a “give and go” or “tail and follow” for that forward.

 

In comparison Tanev “tracks”, consistently. That does not stop any thing or anyone,. You are only try to waste time to have your forwards come deep to help you set up.  

 

Tryamkin may not look as spectacular as Tanevs greasy flo whipping outside of his lid, or his itty bitty quick feet spraying snow flakes..

But Tryamkins game IS pound for pound far more effective than Tanevs round up at OK Corral.

Seek and Destroy over , Bait and Wait. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...