The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

2 hours ago, Provost said:

I just don’t see how he fits with any of our pairings.

Having Myers kind of messes things up.

Both are 3rd pairing RD, and you don’t really want either in the top 4 (at least initially in the case of Tryamkin).  I don’t know how well Tryamkin plays on the left, which is really the only spot for him, and that would still require us to sign/trade for two top 4 RD.

Maybe eventually Tryamkin could partner with Hughes, but that is a lot of minutes to ask of him even if you take away the special teams.

Green would also not want Tryamkin partnered with a rookie like Juolevi.

Unless things change, the only really likely pairings could be

Hughes-Tanev

Edler-Rafferty

Tryamkin-Myers

Benn

or

Hughes-Tanev

Edler-Myers

Benn-Tryamkin

... but neither of these gives you a good shut down paring.  Putting Hughes and Myers together is possible, but that didn’t work as well as having Tanev there.... 

I want him to come back, but don’t want to pencil him into the top 4 where we have the spot.  I don’t have faith that Benning can completely rejig the defence and improve it.

I think he'll be Tanev's replacement tbh, I think they'll walk away from Tanev and focus on Toffoli and Markstrom, Dhaliwal echos this sentiment.  Of course this will be next year because he cannot play this year:bigblush: due to being a RFA, right macho man?

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I think he'll be Tanev's replacement tbh, I think they'll walk away from Tanev and focus on Toffoli and Markstrom, Dhaliwal echos this sentiment.  Of course this will be next year because he cannot play this year:bigblush: due to being a RFA, right macho man?

I think I read KHL plays can sign with NHL teams starting May 1st. If that is the case and the season does resume at some point, would Tryamkin be able to play for us this year?

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

It could end up being true, but I just don't see him being counted on for that many minutes right out of the gate.  He was a marginal 3rd pairing guy when he was in the league before, it is likely at least a year or two in the NHL before you can hope for him to be playing that significant a role (at least well)>

50 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Who knows, maybe we are a finalist for ZUB! Russian towers anyone? Tryamkin-Zub would be a dominant shutdown pair

I’d like to see us pry Romanov (2nd rnd pick) who had a great WJ’s out of Montreal..   but I do agree, having 2-3 russian players is a better environment than having 1 alone.   Romanov is, or is very close to NHL ready. .  I could compare him to Rafferty right now who is older.

2 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I’d like to see us pry Romanov (2nd rnd pick) who had a great WJ’s out of Montreal..   but I do agree, having 2-3 russian players is a better environment than having 1 alone.   Romanov is, or is very close to NHL ready. .  I could compare him to Rafferty right now who is older.

Montreal IMO have a real difference maker in Romanov. Each time I've seen him in games of clips he just looks like a difference maker. He ain't going any where

Edited by Fred65
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

It could end up being true, but I just don't see him being counted on for that many minutes right out of the gate.  He was a marginal 3rd pairing guy when he was in the league before, it is likely at least a year or two in the NHL before you can hope for him to be playing that significant a role (at least well)>

Just An FYI .. in the past 2 seasons of play NT has been posting an average ice time of aprx, +21 mins a game.

This playoff season, with the KHL using advanced analytics, with the micro chip in the skate.  Tryamkin was skating 5 kilometres a game,  in comparison P Datsyuk on the same team was skating about 3.5 km per.

• Thanks 1

Just now, SilentSam said:

Just An FYI .. in the past 2 seasons of play NT has been posting an average ice time of aprx, +21 mins a game.

This playoff season, with the KHL using advanced analytics, with the micro chip in the skate.  Tryamkin was skating 5 kilometres a game,  in comparison P Datsyuk on the same team was skating about 3.5 km per.

The KHL...

https://www.tsn.ca/khl-players-free-to-sign-in-nhl-as-of-may-1-1.1460425

With the KHL season officially being cancelled Wednesday, players with expiring KHL contracts are free to sign with NHL teams as of May 1.

However, as TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun reports, the NHL has instructed teams that they can only sign players to deals that begin next season while this year's campaign remains suspended. Whether or not that changes if the NHL resumes play is unclear.

Agent Dan Milstein, who represents Montreal Canadiens prospect Alexander Romanov, among others, told Lebrun Wednesday that Romanov is currently weighing his options for the future.

"Over the next couple of weeks we will discuss different options," Milstein said. "I would expect he would make a decision based on this year's NHL season. It's possible, depending on what happens, that if Montreal wants him he could probably sign and come this year instead of waiting for next season. Because he would be free to sign after May 1."

Milstein added, however, that re-signing with CSKA Moscow remains a possibility as well.

Romanov, a second-round draft pick of the Canadiens in 2018, posted seven assists in 43 games with CSKA Moscow this season. The 20-year-old was without a point in the team's four-game first-round playoff series.

A native of Moscow, Romanov had one goal and six points in seven games with Team Russia at the world juniors earlier this year. In 2019, he posted one goal and eight points in seven games at the tournament.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Montreal IMO have a real difference maker in Romanov. Each time I've seen him in games of clips he just looks like a difference maker. He ain't going any where

Considering our up coming cap situation, Im on the fence to letting Boeser go for a solid future investment.

57 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Considering our up coming cap situation, Im on the fence to letting Boeser go for a solid future investment.

In all seriousness Vcr SC time come here is 3 years. I tend to think that Toffoli is as good a replacement for Boeser as we will see. Add to that wingers  Podkolzyn should be here and outside chnace Hogeland. IMO Vcrs deficiency will be a more physical D. Boeser could solve that problem. If you want to compare D around the league St L is a good place to start ( as SC champs) they have a big solid D corp. Boston still has strength at the back end ( Carlo and Chara )  it's just my opinion but Tryamkin will help but I'm not sure you can play him Top 4 minutes. Boeser permits us to take a big step forward

Edited by Fred65
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Have you watched any games that Tryamkin has played in the past 3 years?

It is the KHL, it is not comparable to the NHL in the slightest.  Not in quality of players, pace, or intensity

Guys like ex-Canucks Linden Vey and Nick Jensen are among the top producers in the entire league.  Playing and defending against them isn’t the same as defending against McDavid and Ovechkin.

He isn’t even dominating in the KHL, going into a season with him as a top 4 is asking for trouble.  Maybe he can get there at some point... but there is no information that exists yet to suggest it is likely going to happen.

I am a huge fan, and hope we sign him... but for those expecting him to be some sort of stalwart right out of the gate, they are asking a lot and it is more likely to fail than succeed.

1 minute ago, Fred65 said:

In all seriousness Vcr SC time come here is 3 years. I tend to think that Toffoli is as good a replacement for Boeser as we will see. Add to that Podkolzyn should be here and outside chnace Hogeland. IMO Vcrs deficiency will be a more physical D. Boeser could solve that problem. If you want to compare D around the league St L is a good place to start ( as SC champs) they have a big solid D corp. Boston still has strength at the back end ( Carlo and Chara )  it's just my opinion but Tryamkin will help but I'm not sure you can play him Top 4 minutes. Boeser permits us to take a big step forward

I think you and I are very realistic in our hopes, and like minded on this ,.  I see Boston just signed Wolff , a big rangey D man out of College.  He could  get NHL minutes next season, his age, and physical game would want to take an impression from Chara’s.. while Chara is still playing.

Benning has stacked us with various options to keep this team in playoff contention for the next 5-6 years, and yes I see a serious cup run in 3 years, fingers crossed that this was one of them.

I would love to see Toffoli sign here..  I wouldn’t be surprised to see if this Epidemic, brings a sense of “hometown” to a lot of players, especially if your TT, and your best friend in Pearson plays on the same team.

So much potential on this club rising..  Guaddette, Miller, Pearson, Toffoli, MacEwan, Motte, Virtannen, Pettersen, Hughes, and I will include Myers on that train.

.. and so much more not too far away,.  Tryamkin, Podolzkin , Hoglander, Rafferty, Rathbone, Chatfield, Lind, ...  the entire curve is still going up.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

It is the KHL, it is not comparable to the NHL in the slightest.  Not in quality of players, pace, or intensity

Guys like ex-Canucks Linden Vey and Nick Jensen are among the top producers in the entire league.  Playing and defending against them isn’t the same as defending against McDavid and Ovechkin.

He isn’t even dominating in the KHL, going into a season with him as a top 4 is asking for trouble.  Maybe he can get there at some point... but there is no information that exists yet to suggest it is likely going to happen.

I am a huge fan, and hope we sign him... but for those expecting him to be some sort of stalwart right out of the gate, they are asking a lot and it is more likely to fail than succeed.

Agreed, but he does bring an element to the team that is missing. WE need to accept him for what he can bring rather than what we would like him to be

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I think you and I are very realistic in our hopes, and like minded on this ,.  I see Boston just signed Wolff , a big rangey D man out of College.  He could  get NHL minutes next season, his age, and physical game would want to take an impression from Chara’s.. while Chara is still playing.

Benning has stacked us with various options to keep this team in playoff contention for the next 5-6 years, and yes I see a serious cup run in 3 years, fingers crossed that this was one of them.

I would love to see Toffoli sign here..  I wouldn’t be surprised to see if this Epidemic, brings a sense of “hometown” to a lot of players, especially if your TT, and your best friend in Pearson plays on the same team.

So much potential on this club rising..  Guaddette, Miller, Pearson, Toffoli, MacEwan, Motte, Virtannen, Pettersen, Hughes, and I will include Myers on that train.

.. and so much more not too far away,.  Tryamkin, Podolzkin , Hoglander, Rafferty, Rathbone, Chatfield, Lind, ...  the entire curve is still going up.

Here's where I think we have a failure in our system. We need to sign the likes of Koletrane Wilson &  Monatana  Onyebuchi signed to AHL contract but destined for Kalamazoo and develop them. We're not using Kalamazoo very much. I was p!ssed when we missed Wolff. From what I've read Wolff will start in Providence but it won't be long before you see him scaring the crap out of some team in the NHL

Edited by Fred65
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Agreed, but he does bring an element to the team that is missing. WE need to accept him for what he can bring rather than what we would like him to be

I agree and the thing that screws up the fit is having Myers in that spot right now.

I take Tryamkin at $2-2.5 per season for a 3-4 year term over Myers at $6 million for our third pairing and see how he progress les over a season or two.

I am referring to how he fits with our existing pairings and not whether I want him on the team or not.  I have been cheerleading for him for years.

I don’t see Myers as a top 4, and I don’t see Tryamkin as a top 4 (at least this season aside from spot injury duty).

Edited by Provost
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Tryamkin I believe has been developing his game in the KHL in reference to his 79 games here. When he first returned to the K he was a mean nasty penalty leader. But toned it down the following season adapting to the KHL refs and less violent game they play there. He in no way has forgotten the brutality of the NHL esp in the crease and in the scrums.He fared well here with our system (esp the fitness regimine) and when given the chance. He helped Phillip Larsen on our bottom pairing. and anchored that 3rd pairing.Tryamkin is NOT a scorer. He is best at eliminating scoring chances in front of our goalies.

In the KHL his team switched to the smaller ice this year which will benefit his transition back. And I am pretty sure he has a long memory of the BS he's going to encounter when he gets back because I think he has a long memory and there is some payback in order. He's played 2 years on the bigger ice which had helped his skating. I think a lot of people are going to be surprised what we get back in Tryamkin 2.0.

I’m not going to argue any of your points as I have seen almost none of his play in the KHL beyond the occasional highlight. I will make the following comments (or questions if you can answer them)

His actions and quotes (misquotes?) here were not really a “team first” attitude. Between refusing conditioning in the A to complaining about the weed smell (probably not any better now that it’s legal) at least in the surface shows a “me first” player. Has this changed?  Will he come to a camp ready to work and earn his minutes?  Will he run back to Russia if he isn’t played a lot right away?  The Canucks have a history of being harder on some players and I suspect he will be one of those. Think Jake Virtannen as opposed to Megna. New coach, similar patterns. 

My second point is very vague and I apologize but I will do my best. The eye test on Tryamkin showed a ton of potential as a quality crease clearing D man. He did however tend to make mistakes. This is expected from a rookie, however so is steady improvement, willingness to work with team structure and ability to adapt to whatever is required. Has he shown this in the KHL?

I suspect he will have a difficult time making this team out of camp because:

Previous attitude 

high salary team mates given the benefit of the doubt over him

Percieved unwillingness to play lesser minutes/role

If given the opportunity and promoted due to play and not favouritism I expect he will be a legit top 4 D man that scares the crap out of other teams by the end of his first season...just hope we all get to see it