The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

59 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

I’m not going to argue any of your points as I have seen almost none of his play in the KHL beyond the occasional highlight. I will make the following comments (or questions if you can answer them)

His actions and quotes (misquotes?) here were not really a “team first” attitude. Between refusing conditioning in the A to complaining about the weed smell (probably not any better now that it’s legal) at least in the surface shows a “me first” player. Has this changed?  Will he come to a camp ready to work and earn his minutes?  Will he run back to Russia if he isn’t played a lot right away?  The Canucks have a history of being harder on some players and I suspect he will be one of those. Think Jake Virtannen as opposed to Megna. New coach, similar patterns. 

My second point is very vague and I apologize but I will do my best. The eye test on Tryamkin showed a ton of potential as a quality crease clearing D man. He did however tend to make mistakes. This is expected from a rookie, however so is steady improvement, willingness to work with team structure and ability to adapt to whatever is required. Has he shown this in the KHL?

I suspect he will have a difficult time making this team out of camp because:

Previous attitude 

high salary team mates given the benefit of the doubt over him

Percieved unwillingness to play lesser minutes/role

If given the opportunity and promoted due to play and not favouritism I expect he will be a legit top 4 D man that scares the crap out of other teams by the end of his first season...just hope we all get to see it 

1-“team first” attitude. He took a huge discount to play for his hometown Yekatinburg. Shown a lot of hometown loyalty and id guess a couple million left on the table.
2-It was in his contract to not being sent down to Utica. And he knew he could offer more than Phillip Larsen and he took it to heart about conditioning and is lean and fit. (conditioning big improvement)
3- Toronto smells the same.Weed wise (probably not any better now) *Moot point its everywhere.
4 He fought a Russian for cheap shotting Drew Shore showing he is willing to back up his teammates. So no not a“me first” player.
5 He will come to finally make real money, (I'd guess approx 2M$ more per season?)and yes he won't mind starting on the bottom pairing.
6 He's better defensively than at least 3 of our top 7 D men. So no he will not run and hide. (Will he run back to Russia if he isn’t played a lot right away?)
7.I don't think Willie counts. (The Canucks have a history of being harder on some players.)  IMO Jake Virtannen has developed in spite of coaching (being given low minutes and constant bottom pairings) and should PK.
 8- He is "a quality crease clearing D man". and of course will make some mistakes but communicates well and has been 1st unit PK for 3 years there (steady improvement, willingness to work with team structure and ability to adapt to whatever is required) But I think his maturity will be seen in how he doesn't panic in his own end. His puck retrieval and dominance in board battles will help clearing our D zone a lot.
 9.No I disagree--" I suspect he will have a difficult time making this team out of camp"
He is a team first guy, with a ultra compete level which negates this- "unwillingness to play lesser minutes/role." idea.
This I agree with--"I just hope we all get to see it"

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Amebushi said:

I suspect he will have a difficult time making this team out of camp because:

Previous attitude 

high salary team mates given the benefit of the doubt over him

Percieved unwillingness to play lesser minutes/role

Already brought up the attitude issue. He's owned up saying he wasn't mentally prepared when he first got here. He understands that he could've learned more had he stayed here. He has improved in the KHL (players can develop in other leagues believe it or not). His supposed previous attitude won't be a factor this time around especially if he's willing to make the jump back to the NHL.

Higher salary players like Eriksson have been demoted for players more deserving. Players like Baertschi and Gagner have been demoted for players that are more deserving. Not a concern.

I don't see where this "perceived" unwillingness to play a lesser role comes from.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Provost said:

I agree and the thing that screws up the fit is having Myers in that spot right now.

I take Tryamkin at $2-2.5 per season for a 3-4 year term over Myers at $6 million for our third pairing and see how he progress les over a season or two.

I am referring to how he fits with our existing pairings and not whether I want him on the team or not.  I have been cheerleading for him for years.

I don’t see Myers as a top 4, and I don’t see Tryamkin as a top 4 (at least this season aside from spot injury duty).

Tryamkin is a left shot and can and has played either side for the Canucks in his time here - that could mean replacing Benn or Fantenburg and that could be a major upgrade.

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I see the KHL has officially ended the 2019-20 season...  hmmm ..  

i think i hear a contract getting ripped ripped up some where in Russia. :ph34r:

I read some place that if Tryamkin leaves before the end of his contract his current team looses his rights. I'd expect him to play out the contract before any one lets him go

11 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I read some place that if Tryamkin leaves before the end of his contract his current team looses his rights. I'd expect him to play out the contract before any one lets him go

His Avto team was eliminated from the playoffs two weeks ago. He's fulfilled his contract. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

His Avto team was eliminated from the playoffs two weeks ago. He's fulfilled his contract. 

That's not how it works though. It's not like UFAs in the NHL become UFAs as soon as their teams are eliminated from the playoffs. He remains Avto property until April 30 or if they terminate his contract. I'm sure there's no huge rush to get into any of this at this moment.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

That's not how it works though. It's not like UFAs in the NHL become UFAs as soon as their teams are eliminated from the playoffs. He remains Avto property until April 30 or if they terminate his contract. I'm sure there's no huge rush to get into any of this at this moment.

Last time he signed before April 30. But it is moot now. April 30 is so close so its no difference. But does open him up for negotiations with the possibity of a shortened NHL playoffs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

48 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Last time he signed before April 30. But it is moot now. April 30 is so close so its no difference. But does open him up for negotiations with the possibity of a shortened NHL playoffs.

Pretty sure now that the KHL has canceled the playoffs and the rest of the entire 19/20 season because of viral concerns.. contracts expiring would be contracts expired very soon.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Pretty sure now that the KHL has canceled the playoffs and the rest of the entire 19/20 season because of viral concerns.. contracts expiring would be contracts expired very soon.

Hey SS u watch the KHL have u seen much of this guy

Mar 25, 2020

Sens among two finalists for KHL D Zub

The Ottawa Senators are one of two finalists for the services of KHL defenceman Artyom Zub, according to TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger.

•  

The Ottawa Senators are one of two finalists for the services of KHL defenceman Artyom Zub, according to TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger.

Dreger reported on Twitter on Wednesday that Zub is expected to make his final decision in a few weeks and the Senators "remain a top choice."

Zub, 24, had 13 goals and 22 points in 57 games this season with SKA St. Petersburg. 

The 6-foot-2 blueliner won gold with the Olympic Athletes from Russia at PyeongChang 2018 and is a two-time bronze medallist at the World Hockey Championship with Russia. He won the KHL's Gagarin Cup with SKA in 2017.

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

They must've terminated the contract as I mentioned. It's not impossible this could happen again, but at this point, Benning has said they will discuss when his contract ends which is April 30 until further notice. The point was that the contract simply isn't fulfilled as soon as you are eliminated from the playoffs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

They must've terminated the contract as I mentioned. It's not impossible this could happen again, but at this point, Benning has said they will discuss when his contract ends which is April 30 until further notice. The point was that the contract simply isn't fulfilled as soon as you are eliminated from the playoffs.

The point is IMO if Tryamkin does not make it in the NHL his current teams automatically keep his right. This isn't about the Canucks 

57 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Hey SS u watch the KHL have u seen much of this guy

Mar 25, 2020

Sens among two finalists for KHL D Zub

The Ottawa Senators are one of two finalists for the services of KHL defenceman Artyom Zub, according to TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger.

•  

The Ottawa Senators are one of two finalists for the services of KHL defenceman Artyom Zub, according to TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger.

Dreger reported on Twitter on Wednesday that Zub is expected to make his final decision in a few weeks and the Senators "remain a top choice."

Zub, 24, had 13 goals and 22 points in 57 games this season with SKA St. Petersburg. 

The 6-foot-2 blueliner won gold with the Olympic Athletes from Russia at PyeongChang 2018 and is a two-time bronze medallist at the World Hockey Championship with Russia. He won the KHL's Gagarin Cup with SKA in 2017.

I honestly have not seen him,.  I spent any wee hours with eyes on Tryamkin.

But I do know the Canucks scouts would be aware of him, as Podkolzin plays on that same team.

Anyone who may have been watching Podz more might have some input ..

@Hairy Kneel @Stierlitz ??

could be too that the Nucks have depth in their D corps / farm that they need to cycle in to NHL games next season..  Zub might hinder the farm cycle that needs to happen.

Rathbone, Rafferty, Breisbois, Chatfeild Tryamkin are all legit D men looking to rise.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

The point is IMO if Tryamkin does not make it in the NHL his current teams automatically keep his right. This isn't about the Canucks 

That wasn't what I was responding to, so no not the point I was trying to make. I responded to a post that believes he's fulfilled his contract after the playoffs ended. The contract is not over until April 30 or if it's terminated early. That's my point to who I responded to.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

I honestly have not seen him,.  I spent any wee hours with eyes on Tryamkin.

But I do know the Canucks scouts would be aware of him, as Podkolzin plays on that same team.

could be too that the Nucks have depth in their D corps / farm that they need to cycle in to NHL games next season..  Zub might hinder the farm cycle that needs to happen.

Rathbone, Rafferty, Breisbois, Chatfeild Tryamkin are all legit D men looking to rise.

Assuming he's a RD, then he would only affect Rafferty, Chatfield and maybe Tryamkin. If he's a quality dman, you screw that farm cycle and improve your team. If those guys below are not happy, then we trade from a position of strength.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Artem Zub was born in Russian Far East and played for the KHL club Amur from Khabarovsk (Amur is a large river separating Russia and China). He was known as reliable defensive defenceman and as such was traded to SKA in 2016-2017 season. His game in SKA improved a lot, he is universal defenceman now playing in all type of situations, he plays about 20 minutes a game now. This season Artem really shows up his offensive skills - he scored his first hat trick in Dec 2019 becoming just 6th defenceman in the KHL to do this, Zub was the best club goal scorer with 12 goals in Jan 2020. 

Unfortunately video clips posted in the Russian sport sites are restricted to be viewable in Canada and there are very few on YouTube like the one below.

Interesting that his last name Zub means "tooth" in Russian ;)

• Thanks 4

I read today that Putin is starting to shutdown parts of Moscow,  social distancing will become new norm and borders will be tightened up..

My prediction is that after only 3 weeks of social distancing, Tryamkin will generally look more like a Canadian West Coast boy, Same Big Feet, just and a little rougher around the edges. :ph34r:

7B886607-A1AC-49E3-9370-1D8C23B4B271.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I read today that Putin is starting to shutdown parts of Moscow,  social distancing will become new norm and borders will be tightened up..

My prediction is that after only 3 weeks of social distancing, Tryamkin will generally look more like a Canadian West Coast boy, Same Big Feet, just and a little rougher around the edges. :ph34r:

7B886607-A1AC-49E3-9370-1D8C23B4B271.png

bigfoot sasquatch GIF

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1