The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gustav Forsling | D

Grape

Really impressed with Forsling.

He skates extremely smoothly both up and down the ice and laterally. He picks up speed effortlessly and is very agile. He has great vision, as shown when he makes passes on the tape of players who he hasn't looked in the direction of in what seems like ages, and that first pass is truly something. But what's surprising is his stickhandling. He's not dancing and deking but he always looks like he's got the puck glued to his stick. His skating and stickhandling are a combo worth watching.

Still lots of work to be done on gap control and defensive decision-making but he's hardly clueless. I think that's just a matter of practice and coaching which he'll get plenty of with Utica. Can't wait to see him in the proper tournament.

A defenseman who scores a goal in games vs Canada AND USA? That's pretty good.

Well we knew he could score, but his team also got lit up for 5 and 10 goals respectively in those games, so there's that. I don't know how many he was on the ice for, but Team Sweden as a group should tighten up a bit defensively.

EDIT: Wondering if anyone had a video of the goal vs USA?

My favourite Canucks prospect. People don't know how good this kid is because he's overseas and doesn't get much media attention. Actually like it that way. No pressure and he's quietly becoming a beast of a player already. First WJC at just 18 years of age and he's already QBing Sweden's PP over the great dmen they have.

Such a great player. Highly skilled and has really impressive hockeh IQ, and mix that with his smooth, slick skating...can't wait for him to come to NA in 3 years (or possibly before).

Well we knew he could score, but his team also got lit up for 5 and 10 goals respectively in those games, so there's that. I don't know how many he was on the ice for, but Team Sweden as a group should tighten up a bit defensively.

EDIT: Wondering if anyone had a video of the goal vs USA?

they ran a clip of it during the CAN vs. SUI broadcast: One timer off the short side boards through a screened Demko that went top blocker on Thatcher.

well he certainly like playing with Nylander. I can see him meshing well with any of Horvat McCann or Cassels on the PP in the future.

Also had an assist on another goal for Sweden tonight.

2G's 1A in 2 games vs Canada and the USA. Not bad for an 18 year old D man.

Lmfao at Nux fans, 3 pts and 2 losses in exhibition games vs Canada and USA and the hype on this guys is crazy !!

Lol the next Sami vatanen ??

Forsling isn't anywhere near as good as j subban offensively or more importantly Defensively and subban has about 10% chance to make it in the NHL.

We already have an undersized Swede Dman who loves offence but can't play a lick of defence and will never mAke the nhl..

Tommerenes.

I wish this kid the best of luck but to say he will be the next vatanen is beyond a miracle. Did anybody even watch his defence ??? Terrible !! Decision making , awful !

Lmfao at Nux fans, 3 pts and 2 losses in exhibition games vs Canada and USA and the hype on this guys is crazy !!

Lol the next Sami vatanen ??

Forsling isn't anywhere near as good as j subban offensively or more importantly Defensively and subban has about 10% chance to make it in the NHL.

We already have an undersized Swede Dman who loves offence but can't play a lick of defence and will never mAke the nhl..

Tommerenes.

I wish this kid the best of luck but to say he will be the next vatanen is beyond a miracle. Did anybody even watch his defence ??? Terrible !! Decision making , awful !

He shut down mcdavid on a couple of good shifts...

Great he shut down Mcdavid on 2 shifts.

And a broken clock is right twice a day. So what. ??

Forsling is years and yesrs away from even having a sniff of the AHL not NHL. AHL.

Listen I'm not trying to be a Debbie downer but I'm more a of a realist and using actually knowledge here rather than blindly setting expectations for gustav because of a few powerplays points.

This is the problem with prospects developing overseas. Imo it stunts their growth and puts them behind 2 years.

2 Years because that's how long it will take them to adjust to north American hockey where the rink is smaller and you have less time and space and people actually try and hit you.

It's like in baseball,

Imagine playing in a league where they are only allowed to throw fastballs. Great.

Then now all of a sudden you play in league where they are allowed to throw curve balls,stinkers, changeup etc.

NHL

AHL

SHL

In that order those are the best hockey leagues in the world.

Archived