The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gustav Forsling | D

Grape

No they aren't. But that wasn't my point.

To put a percentage chance of Gustav making the NHL is absurd, doesn't matter how you look at it. That was my point.

Actually they are. You just don't understand probabilities.

The only difference between saying "Fifth round picks have a 10% chance of playing 100 games in the NHL" and "Gustav Forsling, a fifth rounder, has a 10% chance of playing 100 games in the NHL" is this:

A prediction about a population is bounded within a confidence interval. A prediction about a specific individual is bounded by a prediction interval (which is always larger due to data scatter). If your argument is just "But you don't know for sure!", then just leave because that's an argument an idiot could make that adds nothing to the discussion.

Alright well you have your statistics, and I have what's infront of me. I can watch him play, follow him for the next couple years, and make my dicission then. I'm not saying he will or won't make the NHL. I'm saying to dismiss him as a %10 chance of being an NHL player rather than a prospect you personally think has a chance at making the NHL, then why draft him? Obviously he has skill being in the WJHC and also he's playing with grown men with Linkoping.

Alright well you have your statistics, and I have what's infront of me.

It's disappointing that you can write that your opinion is more important than empirical evidence because you can't be bothered to become more learned.

I can watch him play, follow him for the next couple years, and make my dicission then. I'm not saying he will or won't make the NHL. I'm saying to dismiss him as a %10 chance of being an NHL player rather than a prospect you personally think has a chance at making the NHL, then why draft him? Obviously he has skill being in the WJHC and also he's playing with grown men with Linkoping.

Because you think he's the best player available. But that's what every team thinks about the player they draft or they wouldn't draft them. The reality is that there are 29 other 5th rounders who their respective teams think are just as promising, albeit not promising enough to use a 1st to 4th round pick. Something has to give.
When 210 players get drafted each year and maybe a few dozen players retire or get waived for the last time, the chances of ANY player making an impact in the NHL at any draft position is low aside from the first few picks. It's not that I have anything against Forsling or any other player who isn't a top pick. It's just the reality that for ANY of them to make it is slim odds.

Forsling will probably be on the 2nd PP unit because Hagg didn't play in any of the pre-tournament games but yeah so far Forsling has been impressing. I thought Forsling was good against us but he still was a little bit shaky defensively but he was facing Canada and I'm sure we made it difficult to make a first pass out of the zone along with trying to contain a player. He was physical though which is a plus.

Forsling will probably be on the 2nd PP unit because Hagg didn't play in any of the pre-tournament games but yeah so far Forsling has been impressing. I thought Forsling was good against us but he still was a little bit shaky defensively but he was facing Canada and I'm sure we made it difficult to make a first pass out of the zone along with trying to contain a player. He was physical though which is a plus.

I dunno, two goals in two games means he probably deserves to stay there until someone beats him out.

It's disappointing that you can write that your opinion is more important than empirical evidence because you can't be bothered to become more learned.

I never said it was more important. I merely said I base my opinion off of how he's been playing recently, rather than basing my opinion on historical statistics.

I dunno, two goals in two games means he probably deserves to stay there until someone beats him out.

Hagg is their best defenceman all-around and his best quality is his offence. He played in the AHL prior to the World Juniors and had 13 points in 28 games, his spot is locked on the 1st PP and 1st pairing.

I forgot all those 29 other 5th rounders were playing pro in Europe and first unit PP with the national teams at the WJC.

What percentage of them do that? and how many of those guys make the NHL?

What percentage of 5th (or 6th or 7th) rounders playing at the pro level in Europe and playing on a respected national team (Sweden, Russia or Finland basically) make it to the NHL? I would be interested to know.

But saying these things might be an indicator of success is not the same as proof that they are. We simply don't know. Looks like I'll be sifting through some late round draft pick data for the last bit and we'll see what we find :)

What percentage of 5th (or 6th or 7th) rounders playing at the pro level in Europe and playing on a respected national team (Sweden, Russia or Finland basically) make it to the NHL? I would be interested to know.

But saying these things might be an indicator of success is not the same as proof that they are. We simply don't know. Looks like I'll be sifting through some late round draft pick data for the last bit and we'll see what we find

dude give up, i dont think he cares lol

Hagg is their best defenceman all-around and his best quality is his offence. He played in the AHL prior to the World Juniors and had 13 points in 28 games, his spot is locked on the 1st PP and 1st pairing.

Yes, which leaves room for Forsling.

And Forsling plays on the right side on the PP so he can utilize his one-timer anyway.

Archived