The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gustav Forsling | D

Grape

Honestly he's been the best defender for them in my opinion. Stopped two 2 on 1's by himself, has an assist on the PP, consistently makes good plays at the line, and also had a nice rush along the boards where he made a pass across that Nylander just missed.

He's so young put plays with a ton of poise. Looks like a 19 year old out there easily.

king's first rounder was selected as the best player for sweden.

ugh can't they draft bad for a bit please

Rodin had 10 points in 6 games in his world juniors and was one of the top scoring players in the tournament.

Time will tell whether it was actually good drafting or not.

This is a tournament for skilled players to shine. But as we've seen time and time again, skill is not the only factor for making the NHL.

Kempe has more of a legit upside than Rodin had. Kempe has a trace of a two-way game, for starters. Rodin had speed, and that's it. Then injuries krept up, he didn't gain strength, and busted. Kempe is already further along in his development than Rodin is now, imho.

If we wanted to pick a small skilled speed guy then, we should have picked Tatar. If we wanted BPA, then Gelinas or Orlov.

I think Forsling will do really well on a team that maintains puck possession a lot. Hopefully we're in that boat when he is ready to become an NHLer. In the 5th round you're not going to land an NHLer often.

Kempe has more of a legit upside than Rodin had. Kempe has a trace of a two-way game, for starters. Rodin had speed, and that's it. Then injuries krept up, he didn't gain strength, and busted. Kempe is already further along in his development than Rodin is now, imho.

I think you missed the point.

The point is that the world juniors isn't always the best indicator of what a players potential is. I wasn't comparing Kempe to Rodin.

I think you missed the point.

The point is that the world juniors isn't always the best indicator of what a players potential is. I wasn't comparing Kempe to Rodin.

Sometimes it is though. But you have to look at the big picture, not just a handful of games. Kempe has been decent all year.

I think he's a great addition to our prospect pool,his next step would be to impress at camp and make the Utica roster.We don't need him to be that homerun hitter on defense, but to compliment what we do have in defensive talent coming up.

I wish him luck for the rest of the tourney.

I'm old enough to have had the good fortune of watching Phil Housley play...from the vids posted, Forsling, with his head and shoulder movements, great foot speed, active stick and sweet hands, reminds me of Housley.

If Forsling can be half as good as Housley, we have a wonderful prospect on our hands.

Forsling has really impressed me. These are the type of picks you make in the later rounds of the draft. Not Mackenze Stewart and Kyle Pettit.

You can't really compare. The 2014 draft class was largely a crap shoot past the first 10 ish picks.

You grab the players that you think you have the best chance of molding into talent, long term. Sometimes you get lucky and find a Forsling, or Bieksa or in extreme circumstances, you find a Pavel Bure (and start a league wide incident and protest).

So many people on this board overrate the value of draft picks vs guaranteed talent that can play in the NHL.

PS. Forsling has impressed me as well. Looking forward to seeing how he does in camp next year!

I'm old enough to have had the good fortune of watching Phil Housley play...from the vids posted, Forsling, with his head and shoulder movements, great foot speed, active stick and sweet hands, reminds me of Housley.

If Forsling can be half as good as Housley, we have a wonderful prospect on our hands.

Now that you mention it, I can see where you get that. If he gets even close to a Housley comparison then what a pick it will be. I look forward to seeing him develope.

Archived