The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kyle Pettit | C

Alex the Great

34 minutes ago, MedicineHatCanuck said:

Benning may give him a contract based on that alone. He is good in the face-off dot and from what I've heard is one of the best shutdown centre in the league, granted it is junior but that is still impressive. If he develops into a Paul Gaustad or Manny Malhotra type of player then I think everyone would be happy.

I have complete trust in Benning when it comes his evalulation of talent. He hasn't fallen flat on his face so far in terms of getting fair value when dealing players, but he hasn't fleeced anyone so far.

Manny was much much more than just a 4th line center. This team took a huge blow after we lost him. Really hope Bo van turn out as good or better than him in the dot. Faceoffs are the most important thing when it comes to having a strong team IMHO.

22 hours ago, MedicineHatCanuck said:

Benning may give him a contract based on that alone. He is good in the face-off dot and from what I've heard is one of the best shutdown centre in the league, granted it is junior but that is still impressive. If he develops into a Paul Gaustad or Manny Malhotra type of player then I think everyone would be happy.

I have complete trust in Benning when it comes his evalulation of talent. He hasn't fallen flat on his face so far in terms of getting fair value when dealing players, but he hasn't fleeced anyone so far.

That's the thing though, Malhotra wasn't the elite 3rd line center in junior that he became in the NHL. He was an offensive performer (nearly PPG his final full junior year) and that's what NYR thought they were getting him when they picked him up.

Obviously Pettit's junior numbers are no where near Malhotra's, but I think it's safe to assume Benning realizes he isn't expected to be the same. It'll still be a stretch for him to just bring what his strengths seem to be if he can't translate anything offensively to the NHL level.

When you consider that Benning chose to pick him in his draft year when he had 10 points (and none in the playoffs) then offense isn't a big concern. They have the contract space too. I don't think its a given that he gets signed, but the reasons for him being drafted (size, defensive awareness, faceoffs) are all still prominent and all that gives him a chance.

On ‎2016‎-‎03‎-‎29 at 3:26 PM, stonecoldstevebernier said:

When you consider that Benning chose to pick him in his draft year when he had 10 points (and none in the playoffs) then offense isn't a big concern. They have the contract space too. I don't think its a given that he gets signed, but the reasons for him being drafted (size, defensive awareness, faceoffs) are all still prominent and all that gives him a chance.

Maybe Utica signs him ?

Archived