The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kyle Pettit | C

Alex the Great

I feel like you guys are underating this guy, oh wow 10 points!? He wasnt drafted for offensive output, he was drafted for his highly touted backchecking, forechecking, shot blocking, stickchecking, his hulking frame, and all around defensive game. With a future development of offensive output this could be a real "redwings" pick, isnt that what everyone always talks about? remember, its all about development!

Don't forget his proffesional work ethic.

If there is one thing that really develops players the most it's their own work ethic.

The one who works the hardest and works the right way will go furthest. Not saying he's gonna score 50 goals, just saying he has a good chance of being a pro. Whether that is in the AHL or NHL, realistically I don't think it's a huge loss for the Canucks.

Either he surprises us and makes crazy progress, or keeps working on the fine details of his defensive play until he can play in the AHL.

If there is one thing that really develops players the most it's their own work ethic.

The one who works the hardest and works the right way will go furthest. Not saying he's gonna score 50 goals, just saying he has a good chance of being a pro. Whether that is in the AHL or NHL, realistically I don't think it's a huge loss for the Canucks.

Either he surprises us and makes crazy progress, or keeps working on the fine details of his defensive play until he can play in the AHL.

Yes "work ethic" i honestly missed this and now that i think of it, "work ethic" seems to be a re-occuring theme in bennings drafting!

I really wish we would have drafted Mads Eller. Big, fast and hits like a truck. He's responsible in his own end and has decent puck skills.

At first I thought that was a nickname and a pretty cool one at that "Mads" Eller....guess not :)

I am really glad that we drafted the last CHL player available who had a good work ethic. Very lucky that he fell to us!

Pettit got 10 pts in 50 in his draft year

Lucic got 19 pts in 60 games

Pettit is obvioulsy the next Lucic guys, but honestly i feel that this is a wait and see sort of pick. Next year he is going to get a real chance as a 2nd line center or 3rd liner for Erie. Don't forget he was playing 4th line minutes for the Otters...there could be untapped potential.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been reviewing Benning's draft picks in Buffalo and Boston, from when he became head of scouting and later assistant GM. Like most draft results, not a lot of those picks made it to the NHL usually the picks from the top three rounds. I did notice that some of his later picks did become quite successful in the NHL.

Of note, Paul Gaustad a larger forward with 19 points in Portland in 2000 as a seventh round pick who has played ten seasons in the NHL. Also Dennis Wideman in 2002 a defenseman in the eighth round, also with a successful and lengthy career.

I guess what I am saying is that with the later round picks sometimes you take a flyer on someone off the board. Not much risk. Early rounds, take the safe picks, as they need to count.

His father is the longtime scout in Western Canada Scout for the Montreal Canadiens, and he taught JB a lot of what JB knows and uses today. In my opinion, the Canadiens are good drafters and have been for generations. Learning this information and JB's background and history, I am very comfortable that our new GM is very knowledgeable and capable even though many members of this board seem to think otherwise.

I have been reviewing Benning's draft picks in Buffalo and Boston, from when he became head of scouting and later assistant GM. Like most draft results, not a lot of those picks made it to the NHL usually the picks from the top three rounds. I did notice that some of his later picks did become quite successful in the NHL.

Of note, Paul Gaustad a larger forward with 19 points in Portland in 2000 as a seventh round pick who has played ten seasons in the NHL. Also Dennis Wideman in 2002 a defenseman in the eighth round, also with a successful and lengthy career.

I guess what I am saying is that with the later round picks sometimes you take a flyer on someone off the board. Not much risk. Early rounds, take the safe picks, as they need to count.

His father is the longtime scout in Western Canada Scout for the Montreal Canadiens, and he taught JB a lot of what JB knows and uses today. In my opinion, the Canadiens are good drafters and have been for generations. Learning this information and JB's background and history, I am very comfortable that our new GM is very knowledgeable and capable even though many members of this board seem to think otherwise.

The only caution about your review of Benning drafts is that he never had the sole say in Buffalo or in

Boston. Major input no doubt. Safe picks in the early rounds is almost a necessity for Van has the pool

is so weak. BPA is also not always a solid practice as position should weigh in that decision.

A recent tidbit on Pettit on another board (from a user named "ErieOttersNews" who's located in Erie, PA):

He certainly lacks a bit of offensive skill. He is tremendous defensively though and will be Erie's top PK next season. Say what you want about Pettit but he works extremely hard. If he fails to make it, it won't be because of a lack of work.

Sounds like a kid with a better chance to yield actual NHL games-played that the average 6th round pick.

Of course, the upside isn't great but looking back at past drafts, I'm always more impressed by the teams that snagged actual NHL players from their late picks (even role player types) than the ones who drafted former junior scorers who end up never getting a sniff of the big leagues.

The organizations that draft the most actual NHL players (and yield the highest NHL games-played) are always looked at as the "smart" teams and the ones with the best scouts.

Sure, there's something to be said for taking a swing at the highest upside longshots, and I expect Benning's Canucks will make several of those picks in the coming years, but if Pettit pans out as a good bottom-six defensive forward and PKer, then this pick--even if considered a boring, safe choice--will be looked back on as a big "win" for the GM and his scouting staff.

Maybe the Pettit pick is part of the Canucks becoming one of those "smart" teams?

I haven't seen this kid and i doubt many others have either, and yet every one has an opinion. As I see it Benning who chairs the Draft meeting intsructs the scouts what they're looking for in terms of 1st round, 2nd round etc etc. Just looking at the Vcr picks they seem to be looking for size and character in the late rounds, chnace are they have little to loose in the late rounds. There's a less than >15% success rate. I understand that his skating is supposedly OK. I'm not sure that's the case for Stewart but his size and character are much the same

Pettit got 10 pts in 50 in his draft year

Lucic got 19 pts in 60 games

Pettit is obvioulsy the next Lucic guys, but honestly i feel that this is a wait and see sort of pick. Next year he is going to get a real chance as a 2nd line center or 3rd liner for Erie. Don't forget he was playing 4th line minutes for the Otters...there could be untapped potential.

Noone thought Lucic was going to be anything more than a 4th line brawler. He is a massive outlier, not an example that should give us much hope.

Noone thought Lucic was going to be anything more than a 4th line brawler. He is a massive outlier, not an example that should give us much hope.

I know, it was a joke

Edit: my point was that Petit could surprise us and play a lot better if given the chance...not Lucic better, but better than a fourth line grinder

Mmmmm .... Let's see. Vancouver passed on Brayden Point (79th overall, Tampa Bay, 91 pts in 72 GP), Chase De Leo (99th overall, Winnipeg, 81 pts in 72 GP), Jaedon Descheneau (124th overall, St. Louis, 98 pts in 70 GP), Daniel Audette (147th overall, Montreal, 76 pts in 68 GP), and Vladimir Tkachev (Undrafted, 30 pts in 20 GP).

So what you're saying is you need to be 5'9 for this ride?

A recent tidbit on Pettit on another board (from a user named "ErieOttersNews" who's located in Erie, PA):

Sounds like a kid with a better chance to yield actual NHL games-played that the average 6th round pick.

Of course, the upside isn't great but looking back at past drafts, I'm always more impressed by the teams that snagged actual NHL players from their late picks (even role player types) than the ones who drafted former junior scorers who end up never getting a sniff of the big leagues.

The organizations that draft the most actual NHL players (and yield the highest NHL games-played) are always looked at as the "smart" teams and the ones with the best scouts.

Sure, there's something to be said for taking a swing at the highest upside longshots, and I expect Benning's Canucks will make several of those picks in the coming years, but if Pettit pans out as a good bottom-six defensive forward and PKer, then this pick--even if considered a boring, safe choice--will be looked back on as a big "win" for the GM and his scouting staff.

Maybe the Pettit pick is part of the Canucks becoming one of those "smart" teams?

I think it's a huge misconception that this is a "safe" pick. The vast majority of 4th line players were much more productive in junior than Petit was. It's very unlikely that he has the skills to make the NHL even as a 4th liner. This is a very risky pick, with very low upside. Picking someone like Mistele and Watson would have been much "safer" and had much better upside.

So what you're saying is you need to be 5'9 for this ride?

I'd (personally) rather take a chance on a small guy with skill that might translate, rather than on a big guy without much and hope that his skill develops.

Barring a huge developmental year, at best this guy is a 3rd/4th liner. Why not roll the dice and hope for a top 6 F?

• 3 months later...

Archived