The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mackenze Stewart | D/LW

Lui's Knob

• 3 weeks later...

big summer ahead of him.  not a great season for him but this was his first pro season and first season as a forward.  also, I remember seeing at the beginning of his time with tri-city he was playing defense as they were waiting for Brandon Carlo to return to the line up.  I like his combo of size, speed, and physicality but his offense has a long way to come to catch up.

On ‎2016‎-‎03‎-‎28 at 10:42 AM, wshdrvvn said:

big summer ahead of him.  not a great season for him but this was his first pro season and first season as a forward.  also, I remember seeing at the beginning of his time with tri-city he was playing defense as they were waiting for Brandon Carlo to return to the line up.  I like his combo of size, speed, and physicality but his offense has a long way to come to catch up.

conditioning and strength can be achievd for sure during the summer. But hockey IQ, vision  ........

2 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

conditioning and strength can be achievd for sure during the summer. But hockey IQ, vision  ........

yeah.. he needs to skate like crazy this summer.  he's had pro size and strength for a couple years already.

• 3 months later...

24 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

This tidbit slipped through the cracks a little - looks like the forward experiment is over for Stewart, and probably for the best. Don't know what the next step is for him this season but my guess is it'll involve him starting in Alaska... whether he remains there is up to him and how he improves.

Don't know enough about him. What was the reasoning behind attempting to convert him to forward in the first place.

1 hour ago, canucklehead80 said:

Don't know enough about him. What was the reasoning behind attempting to convert him to forward in the first place.

He's a good skater with size that can fight and could have made a solid fourth liner. Probably the same reason they experimented with Pedan as a fourth liner.

As a defenseman he's gonna have a tough time climbing his way up the depth chart.

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

He's a good skater with size that can fight and could have made a solid fourth liner. Probably the same reason they experimented with Pedan as a fourth liner.

As a defenseman he's gonna have a tough time climbing his way up the depth chart.

Thanks

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

has there ever been any thought ever of attempting to turn jordan subban into a forward?

obviously an entirely different hockey player...but doesn't that seem like it would play more to his strengths at the NHL level...is he really ever going to be a 5'-8" NHL defenseman?

28 minutes ago, nzan said:

has there ever been any thought ever of attempting to turn jordan subban into a forward?

obviously an entirely different hockey player...but doesn't that seem like it would play more to his strengths at the NHL level...is he really ever going to be a 5'-8" NHL defenseman?

Plenty of posters have suggested it. But I don't know if management has ever given it a moment's thought.

Personally, I think Jordan has been far too successful at the D position for him not to be given every chance to succeed there.

He's an offensively gifted, puck moving, fast skating, RH shooting defenseman with a ton of upside. Those types of Ds are pretty rare and the ones that pan out have have very high value.

He just happens to be short (but also very strong for his size).

Undersized, skilled forwards are kind of a dime a dozen and I don't really see benefit in switching Subban unless he proves himself unable to succeed at D (and I think we're a long ways from there). Jordan has been showing good progression so it's better to stick with his development as a defenseman and see what we have there.

19 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Undersized, skilled forwards are kind of a dime a dozen and I don't really see benefit in switching Subban unless he proves himself unable to succeed at D (and I think we're a long ways from there). Jordan has been showing good progression so it's better to stick with his development as a defenseman and see what we have there.

Yeah, good point...I guess I just question his ability to translate to the NHL...but if that were the case an experiment could take place in 3-4 years, in the meantime let him become what he might become...very good

On 7/13/2016 at 0:37 AM, DeNiro said:

Well. He is a seventh round pick, correct? so it's not like there's a ton of pressure and expectations placed on him. if he makes it, that's fantastic, if he doesn't, not a huge loss to the organization. yep. just checked his draft year. picked in the seventh round 186th overall. i don't think there's a lot of expectations for him to make it into the NHL, but if he does. I'm rooting for the kid! Even if he became a depth player, that'd be quite the accomplishment for a seventh round draft pick. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2016 at 8:01 AM, nzan said:

I've been on this bandwagon for a while. As SID mentioned, management, even if they have given it some thought, have never talked about it as a possibility. I'd like to see him skate up there in camp just to see what it looks like. Hey, it worked for Scott walker, maybe twenty odd years later it can happen for a gifted little Canucks draftee again.

On 7/13/2016 at 11:01 AM, nzan said:

He is 5'9", like Torey Krug and Jared Spurgeon. Rafalski, Campbell, Ellis, Vatanen, Tyson Barrie, Toby Enstrom, JM Liles, Kris Russell, Kimmo Timonen, Lubomir Vishnovsky, Phil Housley all 5'10'" with awesome careers. If they were 1 inch shorter I have a hard time imagining that it would have really made much of a difference on their ability. 

We need fast puck-moving dmen and Subban is a beauty. Moving him to forward would be a huge mistake. 

yeah, i liked the opinion Sid had.

there's no reason to set things off the rails at this point, especially when all he's done until now is prove everyone wrong.

then if there is a point that he shows he can't make it, try a transition at that point maybe.

• 2 months later...

Archived