The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks will make a serious attempt at Iginla

Actually, I've been told that the Bruins have serious Cap issues and that they would love nothing more then to re-sign Iginla and Iggy would like nothing more then to remain a Bruin, So the solution that Benning wants is Eriksson. The Sedins would have a monster year with Loui riding shotgun. Bruins would want a player like Higgins and a prospect. The Canucks would still have cap room to really take a run at Stastny; 7.5 mil. per year x 4-5 years. Our top 6 is finally looking like a top 6. That Bonino trade was just the start. Love that Benning is rebuilding but still competing.

I like that idea actually, picking up Eriksson. From what I've gathered the Bruins want to keep Iggy, and if they moved Eriksson they could probably retain ratboy too. It'd be Benning helping the Bruins with their cap problem while nabbing us a top six guy. I wonder what we'd be giving back though, I'm not keep on dishing out our better prospects, especially not to Boston.

I'd love to have Iginla, but he won't come here. He wants to win a cup, and then there's the Calgary factor. Go back three or four years and I'd have jumped all over it to get us over the hump, but those days are gone.

1 yr. 6 million. Then trade him at the deadline.

we have a winner!!!!!

you guys are so clueless when it comes to signing players and offloading them to grab a bunch of picks and prospects. all they have to be told is we will accomodate them when the time comes

I absolutely love the idea of getting iggy. It's exactly what we need in free agency this year. You won't land anybody good in FA unless you sign a hefty contract. High dollar/max length ect. That's what I'm worried about, signing a vanek or someone long term and watching them fade in the playoffs.

You go after Iginla and you get half the commitment as the younger free agents. He might only want 1 year to see how we bounce back, that would be great. He'd be just a bridge until shinkaruk and Virtanen are ready.

I'd be up for offering him whatever he wants on a 3-4 year contract. Any given deadline if we're not lookin so hot we could trade him and gain a young asset.

I think he'll probably want to go to someone with a little more playoff security but hey you never know. We retooled and definitely have a shot at bouncing back depending on our new coach and whatever happens in net. Iggy has tremendous respect for Trevor Linden so I'm sure they'll touch base and see what it would take if possible to come here.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Iginla Bonino Burrows

Higgins Horvat Hansen

Matthias Richardson Dorsett

From the looks of things, Bieksa and the Sedins are so far the only players we have who've expressed the desire to stay in Van regardless of our status as contenders... maybe Burrows. Wouldn't be surprised if Hansen waives to go to a contending team if any go after him.

Gotta say no to Iggy though, he's not what we're looking for.

Are you talking about Jarome Iginla? Who plays to win eveerynight lays it alllllll out there. . . .Who scored 30 goals last year not playing on henrik and daniels wing. . . not to sure I can agree with you. I think he is exactly the winger those two need to have. I would bet he could put up 40 plus goals plying with the sedins even at 37 years old.

That your opinon

In reality he is a winy guy who faled in the big game and only shows up when he feels like it

Id rather give the spot to a young guy to proove himself and help us to win the cup in a few years. Iginla wins nothing but money deals

thumbs down, kesler is a winy guy, Iginla class act top to bottom. Stayed true to Calgary all those years as they were rebuilding over and over again. Is now getting on in his career and still has the skill set to pick and choose where he wants to play. What money deals you are talking about is unknown to me. Last I checked Iggy had a 1.8 million salary, and had to earn his money. But thats just my opinion

he deserves to win the cup . the guy is a class act . I wish the best for him , no matter where he goes

Do you know Jarome 'personally'? .. not everyone who knows him considers him a 'class act' .. looks can be deceiving, 'tis said.

Well it seems most fans are righting us off including our so called own as usual and as usual so are most of the so called hockey experts because its the thing to do but with what we have in talent, the free money to spend, having Benning and Linden leading the charge and what seems to be a solid well liked head coach I don't agree we can't challenge.

I see the glass half full with this team knowing how huge all the injuries played a part in last seasons demise.

To me we have a great deep defense along with all these great well rounded up and comers, I think we'll get bounce back seasons from Burrows and the Sedins, good contributions out of Kassian, Lack and maybe Hiller giving us great goaltending and some others like Matthias and hopefully Santorelli, Jensen and some added solid free agents signings this team will be playoff bound and contend with the top teams.

Saying all that it may be a tough sell for a guy like Iginla but then again he would prefer good money, he's mentioned he would play here, I think really he would prefer playing in Western Canada and for a team not as far from contending as some claim.

Overall I think it's a bit of a long shot but he will consider it but it's possible especially if he waits to see who we add first.

Lol ok, you can have your opinion as well but I'd rather have a Vet that can put up guaranteed points during a season rather than a prospect who may not be ready for that role.

You discredit your argument with "guaranteed points". There are none and each year is different.

The fact of the matter is he is getting older and if we're going in a new/younger direction, doesn't fit with that.

Iginla had a great year. Unless he's unsure of whether he wants to retire soon, I don't see him signing a 1-year deal. He'll want to parlay his success into something that let's him play as long as he wants for the money he wants.

It may not be a tough sell, if he wants to move closer to home, and if winning it all isn't the #1 only thing in his mind.

A lot of people don't realize the kind of salary cap hell Boston are in right now. They are carrying a 4.2 million cap hit this year for Iggy's bonuses from last year. They have 1.67 million, and need to re-sign Reilly Smith, Torey Krug, Matt Bartowski, and Jordan Caron. Sure, 4 mil is Savard, which will be open to them once the season starts, but for now they can't go 10% over including him. They have no chance at signing Iginla.

This, combined with Benning's cap clearing, leads me to believe he's going to go after 2-3 Bruins he likes. Eriksson? Boychuk? They'd probably be cheaper than ever, for a team willing to send decent depth players with low cap hits (Stanton? Richardson?) back.

On a 2-3 year contract, Iggy would be great. Having the Sedins & Iginla helping with the youth transition would make it seamless and quick. He might sign with a team more guaranteed to contend, but if the Canucks show him the money, you never know.

Still had more goal than any Canucks last year.

The fact of the matter is he is getting older and if we're going in a new/younger direction, doesn't fit with that.

I disagree. I think he's the perfect age because he is that old. Looking at the ufa market, getting a top player you likely have to commit to 6 or 7 years. That's what I don't want a 7 year signing of a 28yr old.

A couple years of iggy would be golden while we transition into the new era. Basically gives us a chance to compete next year without throwing a hefty contract at a big name free agent. All the sudden Bonino isn't forced to play with Jannik Hansen and has a chance to shine.

I disagree. I think he's the perfect age because he is that old. Looking at the ufa market, getting a top player you likely have to commit to 6 or 7 years. That's what I don't want a 7 year signing of a 28yr old.

A couple years of iggy would be golden while we transition into the new era. Basically gives us a chance to compete next year without throwing a hefty contract at a big name free agent. All the sudden Bonino isn't forced to play with Jannik Hansen and has a chance to shine.

I agree with you, Deniro etc. Iginila is the perfect match for the Canucks. He isn't going to be demanding big money on a 5, 6 or 7 years term, and he could be the best fit the twins have ever had. If not, he's a very versatile players who can slide just about anywhere in the lineup. The Canucks have the cap space and the need.

Why would Iggy do it? First of all, he lives in Winfield and I'm sure that has some sway in his decision making process. He gets to play with, arguably, the best play maker (Hank) in the league, to say nothing of Daniel's set up skills. If he gels with them, he's probably a lock for 30, maybe 40. Finally, a front office he knows and trusts. Obviously the connection to Benning is there, but don't discount the respect Iginla has for TL, and I'm sure TL hasn't forgotten how Iginla brought his team back on the ice to pay triute to Trev after his last game.

Why would Iginla want to come to a team in rebuild mode rather than a Cup contender. True, the team is rebuilding, but not at the NHL level. Benning has done what we all thought was impossible......he has secured the future of this franchise (with some good drafting help from MG, I admit), while being able to put a competitive team on the ice at the NHL level.

Suddenly the future of this franchise looks bright and he has no need to rush these young guys into the lineup because he was able to make moves to get guys like Bonino, Ley, Sbisa and Dorsett on draft day. On top of that, he now has a boat load of cap space to make some UFA signings. Two months ago, I thought this team was in the tank for at least 5 years, now I see that they are going to be a pretty solid team for at least 3-4 years, which allows the young guys time to cure. What TL and JB have done this weekend is nothing short of amazing. If JB can convince a couple of UFA's to come to Van, this team is going to be able complete with the big boys for a cpl of years.

Finally, as others have pointed out, none of the contending teams have cap space to sign Iginla to anything close to what JB can offer. Sure, we like to put these guys on a pedestal and say it's all about the Cup, but this is Iggy's last contract, his last chance to make big money. If he can get that with a team who looks like they will be able to compete, he will take it. Signing Iginla will also signal to other UFA's that this is a team that is not throwing in the towel and has a committed, shrewd front office with their eyes on the prize.

C'mon Iggy, you know you want to!

Sedin Sedin Iginla

Burr/UFA Bonino Kassian

Higgins Mathias Ley

Dorsett Richardson Hansen

To me, that is a team that can skate with the big boys. Add an experienced goalie like Hiller to complement Lack, maybe sign a Mitchell, or trade for another dman and things look good.

Iginla had a great year. Unless he's unsure of whether he wants to retire soon, I don't see him signing a 1-year deal. He'll want to parlay his success into something that let's him play as long as he wants for the money he wants.

It may not be a tough sell, if he wants to move closer to home, and if winning it all isn't the #1 only thing in his mind.

A lot of people don't realize the kind of salary cap hell Boston are in right now. They are carrying a 4.2 million cap hit this year for Iggy's bonuses from last year. They have 1.67 million, and need to re-sign Reilly Smith, Torey Krug, Matt Bartowski, and Jordan Caron. Sure, 4 mil is Savard, which will be open to them once the season starts, but for now they can't go 10% over including him. They have no chance at signing Iginla.

This, combined with Benning's cap clearing, leads me to believe he's going to go after 2-3 Bruins he likes. Eriksson? Boychuk? They'd probably be cheaper than ever, for a team willing to send decent depth players with low cap hits (Stanton? Richardson?) back.

Exactly. Chicago, Boston, and Pittsburgh are not in salary cap jail they are under the Salary Cap jail, and they are pretty fracked to get out of it. Boston is going to have to lose some 3-5 mil contracts to get out of their situation and that means they are going to step backwards (though still be good, because Krejci and Bergeron).

Archived