The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ray Ferrero: Linden/Benning have convinced owner the team is in developing stage. Vision is for 3-5 years from now

Southpop45

http://www.tsn.ca/VideoHub/?collection=72&show=389617

to me this makes sense with with everything else that has been said and done:

1. Kesler said canucks are 3-4 years away from being contenders
  2. We didnt hear anything about garrison being reluctant to waive his no trade clause (vs. Bieksa "ill go down with the ship". Mostly likely because benning told him their 3-4 years away
  3. Besides Hiller/Miller we havnt heard anything about the canucks going after big name free agents (they only want those 2 to help take pressure off lack, and no I dont consider bolland a big name). If they were serious about being contenders next year im sure we would have heard something about them going after stastny, moulson, or vanek

It seems like their doing something similar to what Ottawa did a few years ago.Sold guys like Fisher and Heatly, but kept Spezza, Alfredson, and Phillips. This lead them into a mini rebuild were they picked up 1 or 2 really high draft picks in a 3 year span before they were competitive again

Is this something you want the canucks to do (Consider that next year is a very good draft)? OR Do you think the canucks picked up enough quality pieces on draft weekend that they are only 2 or 3 good free agents away from being a contender again

Tanking implies they'll have to lose on purpose. They won't lose on purpose, but they will lose. Trust me.

Sorry not gonna trust you on that one lol.

Vancouver will be better this next season then they were last year, wouldn't be surprised to see them in the Playoffs.

They're not tanking so give it up people.

And 2 days ago we were getting Reinhart and Shinkaruk Tanev ++ were worth it and yesterday Virtanen was a terrible pick and management sucked.

Ease up there muffin, if you SERIOUSLY see this team being competitive while learning yet another new system with no genuine top 6 snipers no genuine 2nd line center only 3 genuine top 4 D men and a glut of tweeners between the 4th and 2nd lines with little to no pre existing chemistry you're daft.

We will not intentionally tank, but there is little to NO way we are competing

Makes no sense to me after the kesler trade. They would have got propects vs older/at the age of peaking now roster players.

They would have got prospects, more picks etc if their vision was 3-5 years IMO.

I agree, they also would have gotten a solid set of picks or the 19th from Tampa instead of paying them to take Garrison for a simple 2nd.

But it is what it is right now.

As we have heard.

They're in development mode, sure. That doesn't mean they will be a crappy team though. Youth can exceed expectations and the team can play their hearts out and still be in the race.

A lot of this team depends on the Sedins though. If the Sedins perform like they have before, and Kassian plays to his potential we could have a solid 2 top lines. Throw a guy like Burrows or Jensen with the twins, or even swap Kassian up there again. Burrows needs to step it up again as well. I'm not worried about Bonino providing for the 2nd line as I've seen him play a ton last year and in the playoffs and he's a definite fan favourite.

You never know what might happen under a new coaching system also. This team has many "ifs".

And 2 days ago we were getting Reinhart and Shinkaruk Tanev ++ - Engrish? were worth it and yesterday Virtanen was a terrible pick and management sucked. - I didn't like picking him at #6 but he's going to be one of the best players out of this whole draft,

Ease up there muffin, if you SERIOUSLY see this team being competitive while learning yet another new system with no genuine top 6 snipers no genuine 2nd line center - We still have free agency and more trades to go through. I hope you realize that. only 3 genuine top 4 D men Again, we still have free agency + more trades. and a glut of tweeners between the 4th and 2nd lines with little to no pre existing chemistry you're daft. Yes there is youth installed through the line up now. Remember when you were calling for Gillis' head because there was little to no youth? They will build chemistry and get the system down pat throughout 82 games.

We will not intentionally tank, but there is little to NO way we are competing - Yes there is.

bieksa said hes going down with ship before benning got hired lol

So if the Canucks get a great offer for him that would help the team more than he would going forward he would not waive his NTC? I find that selfish more than noble to be honest.

Also, it is interesting choice of words by Bieksa. Does that mean he also thinks this team is not going to be good enough to compete anytime soon?

Archived