The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canuck scouts taking a back seat

JamesB

Obviously the Canucks scouts have taken a lot of criticism in light of the Canucks very poor drafting performance over the past 6 years. Benning decided to keep the scouting staff intact for the time being, however, which surprised some people.

But Benning is obviously not relying too heavily on the scouts and is taking a very hands-on role. Here are the key points.

1. Benning obviously spent a lot of time with Vertanen and scouted the kid personally as you might expect for a high draft pick.

2. Benning also indicated that he saw Thatcher Demko play maybe 10 times at Boston College and scouted him carefully personally.

3. Instead of using the #50 pick, the Canucks traded it for Vey, who was coached by Desjardins in junior.

4. Instead of using the 3rd round pick the Canucks picked in the Kesler trade, Benning traded for Dorsett, who was also coached by Desjardins.

5. Sbisa, who came over in the Kesler trade, was well-known to Benning from when he played for Philadelphia and was well-known to Desjardins from when Sbisa played for Lethbridge and Desjardins was coaching in Medicine Hat.

6. Benning of course knew about Bonino given his time in the NHL, and it would not surprise me if Benning scouted him when he was playing in Syracuse.

7. Most of the late-round picks looks like special "calls" or "plays" made by Benning -- guys who are big who might develop or other "lottery tickets" selected as part of an overall strategy.

8. I have seen nothing that indicats that Benning had special personalized knowlege of McCann before the pre-draft period although it was not be a surprise if he did. But he was, at a minimum, intensely involved at the scouting combine and in pre-draft week.

This is of course one reason why Linden hired Benning -- because he can, in effect, act like the head scout as well as GM. This seems very different and Gillis and most GM's.

Even if this idea is true, I'm fine with it and I'm really happy with what's been happening the past few days. Our prospect pool is stocked nicely and because of the trades/picks made there will be a lot of internal competition and chemistry in the Canucks organization for years to come.

Too bad he didn't take a liking to Mckeown. Still pouting about that. Really nice to see our GM hands on with the draft. Time will tell how our later picks pan out if at all. Benning sounds like he really liked some of them.

Can people watch Vey play before they continue to whine about McKeown?

Guest Dasein

What are you talking about ? Gustav Frosling, surely looked like a Gradin pick.

Gradin's picked out some nice players for us so I think Benning trusted him with that one, but it does look like he didn't exactly rely on our North American scouts, who have been pretty bad aside from last season.

Also, he consulted our Russian scout for the first time since forever because Gillis apparently had a "No Russian" policy..

I've seen him play and like the trade relax big man. No need to get all up tight in your underwear. I was just hoping we'd nab Mckeown. Vey sounds NHL ready and I think was a great addition. Someone needs to ease off the Benning corn pops or something Geez.

I wouldn't say he made all the picks. Gustav Forsling was probably a Gradin pick, and the huge Russian was chosen by one of our Russian scouts, Chibisov(?). But our first 2 and last 2 were definitely Benning's picks

Also I wouldn't expect him to be as involved in next years draft since this year he probably scouted every player for Boston and now he is a GM so he won't have as much time to go out and scout.

I'm happy that Benning is the one scouting and calling the shots on who to pick, I think we have given the past regime scouting staff enough chances. Benning is all business, I wouldn't be surprised if he fires some people from the staff and hire new scouts

I think Benning comunicated to our scouts that he is looking for big, gritty, powerful players with upside. The russian sure seems to fit that pick. It probably was the theme for this draft. The only smaller guy was Forsling, but we needed a defensive prospect like that in our pool. Plus if it was Gradins pick he chose Cederholm last year which fits the criteria.

Glad to see that the Canucks roster is being seeded with players who are very familiar with the system & methods that Desjardins will be employing with his team. That should expedite the learning and hasten any transition - if the players are on the big club ...or down on the farm. Desjardins & Benning are obviously aware of these players strengths & those that have professional or exceptional work habits, determination & fitness goals...or not.

I love the collaborating going on. It will be serving this organization well.

Could it also be why the move for first didn't transpire, in that we didn't want to move Shinkaruk, who was another Tigers captain? Did Desjardins ever coach Hunter?

Nope,, Willie left for Dallas in the 2010-11 season,,which was Hunters first season in Medicine Hat...but Willie did draft Hunter when he was 14.

Exactly!

As per TSN, the chance of someone in the 50 pick range of playing 100 games in the NHL is around 33% overall, and all scouts agreed that there are a lot of question marks all through this draft.

So, instead of taking a wildcard chance on a guy that MIGHT help the team 4 or 5 years down the road, we have a guy who shows pretty good talent and has already proven he can perform in the WHL and be better than a PPG in the AHL and can step into the line up now and perform and help the team!

LINK FOR YOUR REFERENCE:

No. 46-50

Average Rating: 2.69

Best: Shea Weber, Milan Lucic, Mike Cammalleri.

Ranked 7 or better: 12.0%

Ranked 5 or worse: 81.0%

At least 100 NHL games (or extremely likely): 32.0%

Obviously the Canucks scouts have taken a lot of criticism in light of the Canucks very poor drafting performance over the past 6 years. Benning decided to keep the scouting staff intact for the time being, however, which surprised some people.

But Benning is obviously not relying too heavily on the scouts and is taking a very hands-on role. Here are the key points.

1. Benning obviously spent a lot of time with Vertanen and scouted the kid personally as you might expect for a high draft pick.

2. Benning also indicated that he saw Thatcher Demko play maybe 10 times at Boston College and scouted him carefully personally.

3. Instead of using the #50 pick, the Canucks traded it for Vey, who was coached by Desjardins in junior.

4. Instead of using the 3rd round pick the Canucks picked in the Kesler trade, Benning traded for Dorsett, who was also coached by Desjardins.

5. Sbisa, who came over in the Kesler trade, was well-known to Benning from when he played for Philadelphia and was well-known to Desjardins from when Sbisa played for Lethbridge and Desjardins was coaching in Medicine Hat.

6. Benning of course knew about Bonino given his time in the NHL, and it would not surprise me if Benning scouted him when he was playing in Syracuse.

7. Most of the late-round picks looks like special "calls" or "plays" made by Benning -- guys who are big who might develop or other "lottery tickets" selected as part of an overall strategy.

8. I have seen nothing that indicats that Benning had special personalized knowlege of McCann before the pre-draft period although it was not be a surprise if he did. But he was, at a minimum, intensely involved at the scouting combine and in pre-draft week.

This is of course one reason why Linden hired Benning -- because he can, in effect, act like the head scout as well as GM. This seems very different and Gillis and most GM's.

good points but our 3rd rounder was a guy recccomended by our russian scout who benning had seen play

Archived