The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sign UFA Christian Ehrhoff back to VAN

putin347

no-god-no-god-please-no-o.gif

NO...GOD PLEASE NO!!!!

We do not need a "me-first" player who wants $10M a season to play. Forget it!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=370500

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup," Ehrhoff said in a statement released by the team. ''And after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen."

...and then promptly disappeared.

Forget it!

Definitely hope they kick the tires on the Hoff. He's a known commodity for this team and at 31 (turning 32 in July), he's six years younger than Dan Boyle (who's been in some people's proposals). I'd love to see Edler-Ehrhoff reunited, even after this much time and how things played out when he left. Ehrhoff has quite a few years left in him. I'd have no concerns signing him for 3-4 years at a reasonable cap hit (although I'd prefer a two-year deal).

Definitely hope they kick the tires on the Hoff. He's a known commodity for this team and at 31 (turning 32 in July), he's six years younger than Dan Boyle (who's been in some people's proposals). I'd love to see Edler-Ehrhoff reunited, even after this much time and how things played out when he left. Ehrhoff has quite a few years left in him. I'd have no concerns signing him for 3-4 years at a reasonable cap hit (although I'd prefer a two-year deal).

Sid...doesn't he have to be put on waivers before being bought out?

Do you think another team would take on that contract?

Canucks need to upgrade their D man on the PP and that's a fact, adding Sbisa isn't the answer. Ehrhoff is the best UFA available for that role but he may not be the best player for the Canucks. Other teams may need to rid themselves of cap space to get a UFA they want and the Canucks can take advantage.

Sid...doesn't he have to be put on waivers before being bought out?

Do you think another team would take on that contract?

He doesn't need to pass waivers. All he had to do was waive his NMC.

Another team doesn't need to take on the contract. It was bought out with a compliance buyout. No future cap hit. He's now a UFA.

It was a contract that would have come back to hurt the Sabres in the future, which is one of the reasons he was bought out.

It was a contract that would have come back to hurt the Sabres in the future, which is one of the reasons he was bought out.

People calling this proof of tanking are overlooking this. We should have done the EXACT same thing with Luongo. Buy him out and eliminate the risk of a really ugly cap recapture years into the future. Lu could stick us with over 8 million if he retires with a year left. Even taking inflation into account, that's a really good 2nd liner's salary. Buffalo gets good, clean capspace they can use to keep all the young talent they have. The only way they could have moved Ehrhoff is if they agreed to eat salary, which is an idiotic thing to do.

Further, have you seen the prospects Buffalo has on D? They need to make room for some of these kids to play. Even if they're not ready next year, Ehrhoff eating up a spot into the distant future would have caused more harm than good in a couple of seasons.

Good for Buffalo to get out of a very, very ugly contract. Their future is looking very solid.

He doesn't need to pass waivers. All he had to do was waive his NMC.

Another team doesn't need to take on the contract. It was bought out with a compliance buyout. No future cap hit. He's now a UFA.

Thanks Sabes...forgot he had a NMC. Good plan for Buffalo, but what a goldmine for Erh!

So...I think he will get $$$ from another team...not very many decent UFA D's.

At 4m x 2/3yrs I'm ok, but if he's getting in the 5m range, I would rather the Nucks go after Niskanen.

Definitely want him back for short term.

Played best with Edler and the Sedins. If the Benning and Linden wants the Canucks to make the play-offs, signing Ehrhoff would definitely boost their chances. I like Sbisa, but Ehrhoff offers much more.

Hamhuis- Bieksa

Edler- Ehrhoff

Sbisa-Tanev

Stanton- Weber

Archived