The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Ryan Miller to Vancouver Thread

UFA goalie Ryan Miller is in VAN being wooed by Canucks' brass.

@TSNBobMcKenzie

Ryan Miller to #Vancouver, 3 yr, 15million likely one of the first deals we see tomorrow.

@IanEsplen

It's no secret Miller and the Canucks have been talking. And, let's face it, we all want to be wooed. Multiple reports earlier in the week had the two sides touching base, as the free agent interview period began, and you can read more details about that in the post below this one.

Miller will be 34 in July, and is an unrestricted free agent after wrapping up a six-year, $31.25-million contract he signed as a member of the Buffalo Sabres. He had a .918 save percentage with the Sabres and St. Louis Blues last year, slightly above his .916 career mark.

Markstrom's 24, and is under contract at a cap hit of $1.2 million. He'll be a restricted free agent at the end of the coming season. Lack, his platoon partner, is 26, and on the books at a cap hit of $1.15 million. He's signed through 2015-16 at that same amount, and will then be an unrestricted free agent.

After trading Ryan Kesler and Jason Garrison before the NHL draft, and with reports that they're interested in Jarome Iginla, and now with their courtship of Miller, these are certainly interesting times in out west in Vancouver.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/529762

PHILADELPHIA ­— Jim Benning was instrumental in acquiring Ryan Miller for one NHL team, and he could be preparing to do it again.

Some hockey prospects are ranked. Others are discovered. For Benning it was the latter when the Buffalo Sabres unearthed Miller in 1999.

He was then playing for the North American Hockey League’s Soo Kewadin, which is the CHL equivalent of Junior B. Or, more accurately, somewhere closer to nowhere.

But after scouting Miller and hearing Ron Mason, Michigan State’s longtime head coach, vouch for him, Benning, as the Sabres’ chief scout, pushed for Buffalo to draft a goalie in the fifth round.

The Miller pick proved to be one of his crown jewels. The pair established a relationship that may now help bring Miller to Vancouver.

With Miller’s top choices, Anaheim and San Jose, out, and a soft goalie market, a short-term deal reuniting him with Benning on the Canucks could benefit both sides.

The Canucks are in the market for a veteran who can take the pressure off Eddie Lack, whose body was punished by John Tortorella. The coach had the rookie start 19 straight games in the condensed, post-Olympics schedule and it nearly crushed him.

By the end, physically, Lack’s wheels came off and he had to bow out of the world championship when offered the opportunity he had long coveted to play for Team Sweden.

The Canucks have already reached out to Miller, and of the teams expected to be pursuing him, it’s believed Vancouver is his No. 1 choice.

There’s nothing wrong with dialling Lack back to 30-40 games, but at what cost? Even with a short, two-year deal, it could be expensive. Miller should chew up $4 million-plus on the cap, which is an issue on a team that can’t score and is about to trade its leading goal scorer.

The Canucks need skill up front more than a maxed-out veteran goalie.

But the biggest issue for Miller is whether he’s ready to handle Vancouver. You can’t find someone in the media who shared kind words about their interactions with him in his first-round series against the Chicago Blackhawks.

Miller blew off his media responsibilities after Game 5, even when there were only two reporters left.

He told reporters waiting for another scrum to stop staring at him. And he abruptly ended a scrum after the last game when he was asked about his contract talks with the St. Louis Blues.

That was just one six-game series. How is he going to deal with life in a city where he’d be mired in a goalie controversy after his first three-game losing streak?

He does have the right agent, though. Mike Liut represents both Miller and Cory Schneider.

There aren’t many agents who know the Vancouver market better.

Please no.

I second and even third this.

I truly fear that we have the best goaltending depth in the league right now with Lack, Markstrom, Eriksson, Canaata (sp) Corbiel and now Demko.

The LAST thing we need is yet another goaltender. Some of the best teams in the league right now are doing it with relatively young kids in net. Crawford, Howard, Quick, Rask, Niemi, everyone in Anaheim

We do not want to alienate a solid young player like Lack with a potential stud like Markstrom and Eriksson by bringing in a "vet" and basically telling them hey we have faith in you but....we don't trust you win it for us.

we have far more pressing needs than goaltending to spend money on. i really hope this is not the case and a signing is imminent

A nice rainy day to help them showcase Vancouver. :lol:

I can't believe the hate Miller gets on here. He's a great goalie who would be a good mentor for Lack, and maybe more importantly Demko.

It's not like we have to sign the guy to a 10 year deal. He'd be here until Lack can handle 60-70 games on his own, or someone else emerges as a clear number 1.

Why don't people like the idea of Miller signing here?

I see Miller as an upgrade on Lack, and he still has a few good years left imo. I think Lack is good, but I also think its a little risky to rely on him to be our #1 next year. Plus, Miller could be a good mentor to Demko in a few years time.

So long as Benning doesn't overpay, I don't have any problems with Miller coming here.

A nice rainy day to help them showcase Vancouver. :lol:

I can't believe the hate Miller gets on here. He's a great goalie who would be a good mentor for Lack, and maybe more importantly Demko.

It's not like we have to sign the guy to a 10 year deal. He'd be here until Lack can handle 60-70 games on his own, or someone else emerges as a clear number 1.

Same thoughts. Miller has been an elite goalie until a 25 game stint to end last year (incl. playoffs)...after his first time not playing in Buffalo in his NHL career. On a 2-3 year deal to bounce back, Miller could be a steal of a pick-up.

In reality, the Canucks might only be a 2-3 moves/signings away from being playoff (not cup) contenders, and Miller would definitely help bump them into that territory.

Archived