The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Ryan Miller to Vancouver Thread

Didn't see a topic on it anywhere on the front page unless it was included in a different topic... you're saying someone posted a thread on this within the last hour of Bob McK tweeting about it? Please enlighten me with your forum wizardry and point me in the right direction so I can post in that thread then.

That aside, this feels like Benning wants to straddle the line between rebuild and retool and is content with drafting in the 10-15 range. If that's the case, I only hope there's some turnover in the scouting department, or that he himself pretty much takes control of scouting, cause based on our past history, those picks aren't going to pan out...

Links below your post

No, any team cannot win in the playoffs by merely making the playoffs. This belief is what has kept Calgary and other pretender teams from doing proper rebuilds.

That being said Miller oversaw Buffalo finishing dead-last last season. So what are we expecting from him here, in a similarly weak lineup vs. way better western competition.

Hmmm, Benning may be onto something here.

Tell that to Carolina and / or Edmonton for their finals year. The team with the hotter goalie won that.

Or when the Florida Panthers made it to the finals riding a wicked-hot Vanbiesbrouck.

A hot goalie at the right time CAN win in the playoffs. Some youthful energy, solid tactics and veteran experience and this team is a lot better than the performance last year.

For people incessantly posting " tank for McDavid" please pay attention to the rules that have been in place for several years. If you finish dead last in the league you get a 25% chance of drafting number 1 over all. That means you have a 75% chance of drafting 2nd and not getting McDavid next year. If you "tank for McDavid" and finish 2nd or 3rd from the bottom you have even less than a 25% chance of getting him.

The tank for McDavid people are morons.

True, but if you finish dead last, you're guaranteed eichel if you miss out on mcdavid. Both of them are projected as franchise players a step above the rest of the draft class in a very strong draft year. Even getting a top 5 pick next year can get you a franchise player, that's how strong the 2015 draft is. The best thing for this franchise is getting a top 5 pick next year.

Lack needs a mentor to be a good #1 goalie in the coming years.

It says an awful lot about the quality of Lack's ability and character if he's going to be 27 years old mid-way through next season and we need to sign a goalie for 2-3 years to "mentor him" -- reminds me an awful lot about the terrible argument against Schneider two years ago that went something like: Schneider needs to back up Luongo because Luongo is proven, and Schneider has never played a full season. If you can't see the catch-22 in that, then I don't know what to say.

So anyway, when Lack turns 29 or 30, he'll be able to handle the pressure and challenges of being an NHL goalie?

If Lack isn't ready at 27, what are the chances he will be ready at 29?

Lack is young in experience, not in age, folks.

what would be the difference if Luongo or Schneider was still on the team lack was always plan C never plan A or B he was supposed to back up Cory when that didn't work they tried to keep Luongo lack was supposed to back him up then Luongo is gone and lack is forced to be #1..

Get a vet for a couple years if we want lack to eventually be number one.

Actually no he wasn't always plan C.. there have always been many saying that Lack may end up better than Schneider, and most expected Schneids to go the trade deadline that Hodgson ended up going (which virtually no one expected) . Lack is ready to take the reigns now and is not going to improve playing longer under another big name goalie.. THAT will just be goalie controversy 3.0 guarantee it. Not to mention Markstrom and Eriksson won't want to be here either.

Tell that to Carolina and / or Edmonton for their finals year. The team with the hotter goalie won that.

Or when the Florida Panthers made it to the finals riding a wicked-hot Vanbiesbrouck.

A hot goalie at the right time CAN win in the playoffs. Some youthful energy, solid tactics and veteran experience and this team is a lot better than the performance last year.

We have substantial problems that go beyond goaltending though.

Tactics mean squat when you don't have the horses.

The vets are fading.

And the 'youthful energy' is either average-skilled (Vey, Kassian) or years away (Virtanen, Horvat)

But on the plus side, Miller probably does nothing to prevent a proper rebuild. And we could trade him for assets at the deadline if he's appropiately signed to a 1yr deal.

Don't quote me on this, but something tells me school starts in September, not late June/July.

Again, just my educated guess.

That was kind of the joke.

You know...school just ended and it's going to be a loooooong summer on CDC until it starts back up.

Why can't we just split the season with Lack and Markstrom.

Who ever has the worst record gets traded for assets.

Then bring up Eriksson or Cannata.

I really don't think Miller is going to give us any value in the future.

I'm not exactly overjoyed that Miller might be coming here, but it is a good idea to get a veteran goalie (either a starter or a backup) to ease the pressure and workload off of Lack. Lack is a solid goalie, and it's best to develop him slowly, rather than throwing him to the wolves again and risk shattering his confidence.

Lack did also have hip surgery a little while ago so extra load probably doesn't help I believe he should be limited to 35ish to upto 40 games a season which is still a lot... half pretty much. That way he won't have no problems in the future, in his veteran years.

I just feel like its not the right timing for signing miller! You're fixing holes with gum and tape. Do the canucks have a top 6 to compete with the powerhouses in the nhl? And don't say sign miller, stastny and niskanen its highly unrealistic you get that many good ufas. Unless they're from your city and want to come home.

Archived