The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Ryan Miller to Vancouver Thread

Agree with most folks here.

Hope nothing becomes of this. Don't care a whole lot for Miller's character, am not convinced he'll be much of an upgrade, if at all, and not interested in the obvious contract risk that he would represent.

There's a very good chance he gets outplayed by Lack - as Luongo did - and the team is once again saddled with a really important goaltender who in all likelihood expects the starting role to be a patronage appointment and part of the terms of his contract.

Miller is definitely an upgrade at this point. Have some people not followed his career? Or are they only aware of his last season?

There's no contract risk unless they give him a NTC, which I doubt.

The biggest risk here is throwing Lack into a role he's not fully ready for. Don't forget how his numbers dipped after Lu left. I honestly don't think a 26 year old can handle the full pressure of this market.

Miller is definitely an upgrade at this point. Have some people not followed his career? Or are they only aware of his last season?

There's no contract risk unless they give him a NTC, which I doubt.

The biggest risk here is throwing Lack into a role he's not fully ready for. Don't forget how his numbers dipped after Lu left. I honestly don't think a 26 year old can handle the full pressure of this market.

Why don't you tell us about his career DeNiro.

There is absolutely a contract risk if he is signed - a significant cap hit or term are risks.. A NTC is relatively irrelevent as far as I'm concerned. There is of course a chance that risk pans out either way - I personally don't like the option.

Miller's been over .916 once in the past 5 years. That isn't terribly compelling as far as I'm concerned. There are plenty of NHL goaltenders capable of performing to that standard who aren't going to cost a 5 or 6 million cap hit - and I imagine Milier isn't out there fishing for a one year term.

He was underwhelming in St Louis when a golden opportunity presented itself. Assuming he will be an upgrade is just that - merely an assumption. People could follow Luongo's career and assume that he would command the starting role relative to mere upstarts like Schneider or Lack - but in the real world, he was outplayed by both of them.

Anyone's numbers would have dipped playing behind the tail end of a thoroughly failed Tortorella experiment that burned the team out at the mid way point of the season. Virtually none of that dip is on Eddie Lack. Loungo would have likewise been hung out to dry under those circumstances.

Miller would certainly be a risk - one that didn't work out for the St Louis Blues - and moreover, he has a history of publicly chirping about team-mates when it's probably better to keep that stuff in camera.

Not convinced that kind of presence/risk being added to the lunchbox culture being built here is a great idea. Don't see him as a particularly good fit.

WTF is wrong with you guys!? Why wouldn't you like a quality starter that can get the job done and help Lack develop? Vezina trophy winner, proven goalie with one bad year? Or is his persona that intolerable?

No matter how much we sucked last year and are no retooling/mini rebuilding, I want to watch my team win on a nightly basis and enjoy good hockey. If this improves our team and our chances, I'll take it in a heartbeat.

I guess most of you weren't here when we grinder it out on the absolute bottom in the late 90's and early 2000... Loss after loss. Sometimes 10 losses in a row. Goalies coming and going, each with worse stats than the one before. At least when they left us. Gave us that goalie graveyard reputation. No thank you!

WTF is wrong with you guys!? Why wouldn't you like a quality starter that can get the job done and help Lack develop? Vezina trophy winner, proven goalie with one bad year? Or is his persona that intolerable?

No matter how much we sucked last year and are no retooling/mini rebuilding, I want to watch my team win on a nightly basis and enjoy good hockey. If this improves our team and our chances, I'll take it in a heartbeat.

I guess most of you weren't here when we grinder it out on the absolute bottom in the late 90's and early 2000... Loss after loss. Sometimes 10 losses in a row. Goalies coming and going, each with worse stats than the one before. At least when they left us. Gave us that goalie graveyard reputation. No thank you!

You're right, man. Most of these kids advocating tank-city for magic beans have no idea what it's like to have a hopeless minor-league level team for years on end like we've had with the Canucks in the past, and are in Edmonton and Buffalo now.

Why don't you tell us about his career DeNiro.

There is absolutely a contract risk if he is signed - a significant cap hit or term are risks.. A NTC is relatively irrelevent as far as I'm concerned. There is of course a chance that risk pans out either way - I personally don't like the option.

So you already know the terms they're discussing?

They're not gonna give the guy a 5 year ridiculous contract, they're not stupid. I bet it's 2 years max, if they do sign him.

I bet there will be fans that hope he fails if we do sign him. That seems to be the nature of Canucks fans. Not enough fans have actually watched him very much from the reaction I'm seeing. It's the "what have you done for me lately" phenomenon that we saw with Lu.

Throwing out his stats from his last 5 years in Buffalo means nothing. Those teams were bottom of the league bad.

I like that trade a lot actually. Would make room for both Vey in the bottom 6 and our rumor for a goalie.

Irrespective of how I feel about that trade package, I don't think Buffalo can afford to lose more salary... This trade wouldn't make sense cap wise unless the Canucks are also dumping a contract like Burrows' (not that I'm advocating for a Burrows trade).

Eklund posted that Miller's rights were on the move. I am not sure that makes any sense.

Now with the new "talking window" where you are allowed to talk with free agents the week before July 1st, you would need to move the rights before that point to be of any use.

Now you can already talk to him, so have a good idea whether you can sign him or not without giving up a draft pick for the privilege.

Eklund posted that Miller's rights were on the move. I am not sure that makes any sense.

Now with the new "talking window" where you are allowed to talk with free agents the week before July 1st, you would need to move the rights before that point to be of any use.

Now you can already talk to him, so have a good idea whether you can sign him or not without giving up a draft pick for the privilege.

Apparently you can only discuss basic parameters in this window.

Trading for his rights would allow them to put pen to paper before free agency.

Trading for his rights would allow them to put pen to paper before free agency.

Yep, like he did systematically with the draft, my sense is that Benning has it all laid out, and is just waiting for the bell to sound.

A nice rainy day to help them showcase Vancouver. :lol:

I can't believe the hate Miller gets on here. He's a great goalie who would be a good mentor for Lack, and maybe more importantly Demko.

It's not like we have to sign the guy to a 10 year deal. He'd be here until Lack can handle 60-70 games on his own, or someone else emerges as a clear number 1.

Exactly.l We need a 'bridge' veteran goaltender for one or two years while Lack matures. We won't last the year with Lack/Markstrom if we're dumb enough to try a kid duo.

Again, I'd stick with Lack if it's anything more than 2-3 years, $4,000,000 AAV. Stats are similar even though Miller is playing on a much better team.

Miller was on a better team than the Canucks?

The Canucks had a bad season, but they were a much better team on paper.

Archived