The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Ryan Miller to Vancouver Thread

Ironic question - which you follow by suggesting you know what the terms will look like.

Ryan MIller at 2 years max...What will the cap hit be then?

Based on what Benning and Linden have both said about youth, I doubt they tie themselves to another vet long term. That's just logic.

They just got rid of two big contracts too, so I doubt they rush into taking on another one.

At Miller's age, it makes perfect sense for him to be on a shorter term deal.

Ryan MIller at 2 years max...What will the cap hit be then?

Well I guess the Canucks are selling the "we are contenders right now" line then, right, because an older guy like MIller would certainly be pining to sign short term with a team that's "rebuilding". That's just logic.

Or maybe he is resigned to just mentoring now.

Right.

Luo, a couple years older, was just thrilled with that role,

And regarding the 'rebuilding' - I guess Kesler been done fooled, huh.

No it's really about the short term and the long term. Having two guys share the crease is not a bad thing.

The best years this team had were with Lu and Schneider sharing the net.

Having a vet like Miller take some of the heat off of Lack can only benefit him at this point. People who think "oh he'll be fine" are ignoring how rabid this fan base is with their goalies. One long stretch of bad games and fans will be turning on him so quickly. Then what? Markstrom is going to come in and save the day?

Lack is not done being mentored yet. You can't expect him to be a starter after one season in the NHL. That's too much, too soon for a guy who's just getting his feet wet. I'm sure Miller can teach him quite a bit and help take his game to the next level.

There is something to having a veteran goalie presence on the bench like a wise old caddie in golf. Sharing the tendancies of the league's top snipers,... knowing the lay of the land, & the different nuances of the various rinks around the league,...& the shoot-out intel...would all very handy. I just wish I could see Miller as a mentor... & not as someone who may wish to crush the kid like competition. Luongo had a very good sense of humour,...Schneider on the farm-team with Lack had easy calm & focus. Miller seems humour-less,... and has been known to become emotionally un-hinged more....as he;s aged. Am I wrong?

It would be a new dynamic for our very affable & funny-loving Lack,... that's for sure.

There is something to having a veteran goalie presence on the bench like a wise old caddie in golf. Sharing the tendancies of the league's top snipers,... knowing the nuances of different rinks around the leage,...& shoot-out intel...is all very handy. I just wish I could see Miller as a mentor... & not just as someone who might want to crush the kid like competition. Luongo had a good sense of humour,...Schneider on the farm-team with Lack had calm focus. Miller seems so humour-less,... and has become emotionally un-hinged more.... as he aged. Am I wrong?

It would be a very new dynamic for our very affable & funny-loving Lack, that's for sure.

Exactly he can sit on the bench while lack plays 60

I like the idea of getting a veteran goalie to help out Lack, I thought he was put in an unfair situation last year when Lu was traded, and I would hate to see him start next year with an inexperienced goalie as a backup. Someone with experience who could spell Lack for 30-40 games would be a great help to Lack's development.

That being said, is Miller that guy? Would he be willing to mentor Lack, as well as share the crease with him? If he is, then a 2 year deal makes sense. If he isn't, then the Canucks should look elsewhere for veteran help.

I'd be OK with a 2 to 3 year deal at $5M or less per year, as he could be a good mentor for Lack and Markstrom and hold the fort til Lack is more ready for 60-70 games a season, similar to how Lu was a mentor to Schneider. However, I'm not sure if Miller would take that much of a discount.

Help Lack develop? I think he had a great season and ready to be a full time NHL starter. He's 26 and entering his prime with the way he is playing. Miller doesn't want to look for a 1 year deal, he wants more for a starting goalie like him but that's stupid to sign him for multi year, he's already 33 turning 34. Again, fans like you are looking into the short term of just wanting to see this team win. No we are not falling into that trap again.

Are you serious about Lack automatically being good to go after one season, actually half a season of being starter without a doubt of him hitting an obstacle? Just because he's 26 years old he must be ready to take over full time. Maybe he is, but I doubt the management feels like that is the case. And besides the fact that we are retooling, you always try to ice the best team you can.

If having a duo of Miller/Lack will be better than Lack/Markstrom, I'll take that.

And yes, I am all about seeing this team win. Now and in the future as well. Signing Miller will definitely not hamper us from archiving that goal. I sure as ____ don't like to see us lose games for the sakes of rebuilding if it can be avoided. Most of our rebuilding will take place in the minors for the next few years.

What kinda fan are you then?

i maybe in the minority but im all for signing miller. i think markstrom is gonna regain what made hame named the best goalie born in 1990 same year as lack. i havent been able to confirm for sure what happens if we send him down before the season starts if we risk losing him id rather keep him up here as a backup and trade lack. i think the jets woul a match made in heaven, why not package burr hanson lack and a a 2nd in 2015 and a b level propect for kane. im sure burr would waive if he feels hes no longer welcome and has tie to the peg i think thats a very fair deal maybe even a little to much but whatever we dont need any of those players going forward but would all help the jets thoughts?? edit hes 2 years older the markstrom

WTF is wrong with you guys!? Why wouldn't you like a quality starter that can get the job done and help Lack develop? Vezina trophy winner, proven goalie with one bad year? Or is his persona that intolerable?

No matter how much we sucked last year and are no retooling/mini rebuilding, I want to watch my team win on a nightly basis and enjoy good hockey. If this improves our team and our chances, I'll take it in a heartbeat.

I guess most of you weren't here when we grinder it out on the absolute bottom in the late 90's and early 2000... Loss after loss. Sometimes 10 losses in a row. Goalies coming and going, each with worse stats than the one before. At least when they left us. Gave us that goalie graveyard reputation. No thank you!

Yeah I was and it got us the Sedins and it gave us 10 years of good hockey. Time to tank for a year and get our number 1 center so we can compete again.

Yeah I was and it got us the Sedins and it gave us 10 years of good hockey. Time to tank for a year and get our number 1 center so we can compete again.

And before Burke worked his magic at the draft, those years which I saw too were so bad the team almost left.

Id rather support a team that always tries and has a strong foundation. A team thats entertaining and whos goal is to get into the Playoffs because once your there. You never know.

No it's really about the short term and the long term. Having two guys share the crease is not a bad thing.

The best years this team had were with Lu and Schneider sharing the net.

Having a vet like Miller take some of the heat off of Lack can only benefit him at this point. People who think "oh he'll be fine" are ignoring how rabid this fan base is with their goalies. One long stretch of bad games and fans will be turning on him so quickly. Then what? Markstrom is going to come in and save the day?

Lack is not done being mentored yet. You can't expect him to be a starter after one season in the NHL. That's too much, too soon for a guy who's just getting his feet wet. I'm sure Miller can teach him quite a bit and help take his game to the next level.

Ryan Miller is 34 years old on July 17th and you expect us to sign him for 1-2 years? He's signing for the rest of his career not for jumping cities for the rest of the years he got. All I'm getting from you is that you want to sign Miller, have another Luongo thing because Lack will be good to go if not this year which I think he is then the next year but then guess what? We still got Miller for another 4-5 years at 5+ million so then what you going to do? We got the 6th overall pick last year, I didn't see anybody jumping on Lack. Markstorm doesn't have to save the day, who knows what we'll get out of him but we can have Markstorm share the net with Lack. I don't know, I'm in favour of bringing a cheap goalie like Chad Johnson or Tomas Greiss instead of getting a goalie that is just about done and we sign him for 4-5 years? That's just dumb, especially after the Luongo thing.

Lack has not been done mentored yet? Fine, we'll try again after Miller's 5 year contract is up. Or what if Lack is already good to go after the 1st year of Miller's contract? Uh oh.

Are you serious about Lack automatically being good to go after one season, actually half a season of being starter without a doubt of him hitting an obstacle? Just because he's 26 years old he must be ready to take over full time. Maybe he is, but I doubt the management feels like that is the case. And besides the fact that we are retooling, you always try to ice the best team you can.

If having a duo of Miller/Lack will be better than Lack/Markstrom, I'll take that.

And yes, I am all about seeing this team win. Now and in the future as well. Signing Miller will definitely not hamper us from archiving that goal. I sure as ____ don't like to see us lose games for the sakes of rebuilding if it can be avoided. Most of our rebuilding will take place in the minors for the next few years.

What kinda fan are you then?

Well, first off. I'm not into tanking, I don't want to tank. I wish we could make the playoffs every year even if it's unlikely we won't go far. Starting Lack doesn't mean we will tank, he can breakout next year who knows?

Tell me now, you expect Miller to sign for 1-2 years? He's signing till it takes him to retirement which is about 4-6 years. Lack put up .912 in Vancouver just last season and Miller put up .903 SV% with the Blues. Miller is done, I think that is clear. After playing with the Sabres he forgot what having a real team felt like and forgot how to play solid goaltending. Lack looked pretty darn sharp to me when I watched him, he played well in the AHL for 3 seasons after playing some seasons in Sweden now he is playing the NHL, looked good this season and outplayed Luongo to take Luongo out of the starting job. I don't thing this argument needs to any longer because:

1. Lack put up better stats than Miller (when he was with STL). on a worse team.

2. Miller is 34, he is about done and if we sign him for 4+ years, 5+ million per, that will screw us over because then Lack will outplay Miller while Miller still has 5 million dollars on his contract.

3. Tomas Greiss and Chad Johnson are better options in 2 ways, one which is cheaper and less term, two is that they are better.

Miller is on a downfall.

I wouldn't be a bottom feeder again for any player(s).

Ryan Miller is 34 years old on July 17th and you expect us to sign him for 1-2 years? He's signing for the rest of his career not for jumping cities for the rest of the years he got. All I'm getting from you is that you want to sign Miller, have another Luongo thing because Lack will be good to go if not this year which I think he is then the next year but then guess what? We still got Miller for another 4-5 years at 5+ million so then what you going to do? We got the 6th overall pick last year, I didn't see anybody jumping on Lack. Markstorm doesn't have to save the day, who knows what we'll get out of him but we can have Markstorm share the net with Lack. I don't know, I'm in favour of bringing a cheap goalie like Chad Johnson or Tomas Greiss instead of getting a goalie that is just about done and we sign him for 4-5 years? That's just dumb, especially after the Luongo thing.

Lack has not been done mentored yet? Fine, we'll try again after Miller's 5 year contract is up. Or what if Lack is already good to go after the 1st year of Miller's contract? Uh oh.

Well, first off. I'm not into tanking, I don't want to tank. I wish we could make the playoffs every year even if it's unlikely we won't go far. Starting Lack doesn't mean we will tank, he can breakout next year who knows?

Tell me now, you expect Miller to sign for 1-2 years? He's signing till it takes him to retirement which is about 4-6 years. Lack put up .912 in Vancouver just last season and Miller put up .903 SV% with the Blues. Miller is done, I think that is clear. After playing with the Sabres he forgot what having a real team felt like and forgot how to play solid goaltending. Lack looked pretty darn sharp to me when I watched him, he played well in the AHL for 3 seasons after playing some seasons in Sweden now he is playing the NHL, looked good this season and outplayed Luongo to take Luongo out of the starting job. I don't thing this argument needs to any longer because:

1. Lack put up better stats than Miller (when he was with STL). on a worse team.

2. Miller is 34, he is about done and if we sign him for 4+ years, 5+ million per, that will screw us over because then Lack will outplay Miller while Miller still has 5 million dollars on his contract.

3. Tomas Greiss and Chad Johnson are better options in 2 ways, one which is cheaper and less term, two is that they are better.

Miller is on a downfall.

Nice touch to compare Miller's stats only from St.Louis. Just like the other parts of the season didn't even exist.

You probably got me all wrong here. I'm okay with moving forward with Läck as no 1. I stated that it would benefit him to split time with a guy like Miller.

What I'm not totally sold on is a tandem of Läck/Markström. If we run into trouble there, it will be quite a hole that we'll find ourselves in. Keep in mind tat neither goalie has yet to establish themselves as starters. Läck might be there, but he still has only 41 games 16-17-5 under his belt with zero playoff experience.

I've been a Markström fan for years and I always hoped he'd been included in a potential Luongo deal dating back almost two years. But as it stands today, he hasn't been able to adapt to the NA and/or been so poorly worked on by Florida that he is where he is right now. That's why I'm not sold on going forward with the duo, as I believe we have a solid chance of being a playoff team next year.

why is nobody mentioning markstrom? he was a way higher rated prospect till he got draftef by florida and got bad coaching and rushed along . im so sick of people saying we shouldnt sign miller. he will bounce back this year and we forget he was great when he first came to the blues and had some bad luck against an elite team.i luv lack bur if u compare his numbers after the lou trade they were well over 3. that being said a team like the jets would be much better with him in net. so lets package him for kane and go with miller and markstrom for a couple of years then go with markstrom and demko. lack is 27 either start him this year or trade him he deserves a chance at 1. i just think since we might lose markstrom id rather trade lack while he still young and sign miller till jacob is ready i guess we will find out this tuesdsay but i for one think people on here under value markstrom way too much

Nice touch to compare Miller's stats only from St.Louis. Just like the other parts of the season didn't even exist.

You probably got me all wrong here. I'm okay with moving forward with Läck as no 1. I stated that it would benefit him to split time with a guy like Miller.

What I'm not totally sold on is a tandem of Läck/Markström. If we run into trouble there, it will be quite a hole that we'll find ourselves in. Keep in mind tat neither goalie has yet to establish themselves as starters. Läck might be there, but he still has only 41 games 16-17-5 under his belt with zero playoff experience.

I've been a Markström fan for years and I always hoped he'd been included in a potential Luongo deal dating back almost two years. But as it stands today, he hasn't been able to adapt to the NA and/or been so poorly worked on by Florida that he is where he is right now. That's why I'm not sold on going forward with the duo, as I believe we have a solid chance of being a playoff team next year.

My point was that Miller is regressing or something is up because I would expect his numbers to go up not down.

It would benefit Lack but not at the cost of a big Miller contract back firing at us. I would rather go with a Chad Johnson or Tomas Greiss for cheaper as a reliable backup for Lack incase he starts going south. I think Lack should be the starter, I have full confidence in him but I don't think bringing Miller in would help his confidence. He believes he can start games for the Canucks but getting Miller just tells him that no you're not ready yet. Just give him a chance is what I want, if you want insurance then Johnson or Greiss is fine but he's done what he needed to do to get to the NHL level and let him run with it this season. If it burns and crashes oh well, we'll get him some help but he has a chance to breakout and fly away which I think we should give him an opportunity. Tell him he's our starting goalie and let him run, he deserves it.

I'm not sold on Markstorm either, I think we could try and get Johnson or Greiss but if not, let's see if he can pull something with the help of the coaching staff.

Archived