The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Ryan Miller to Vancouver Thread

why is nobody mentioning markstrom? he was a way higher rated prospect till he got draftef by florida and got bad coaching and rushed along . im so sick of people saying we shouldnt sign miller. he will bounce back this year and we forget he was great when he first came to the blues and had some bad luck against an elite team.i luv lack bur if u compare his numbers after the lou trade they were well over 3. that being said a team like the jets would be much better with him in net. so lets package him for kane and go with miller and markstrom for a couple of years then go with markstrom and demko. lack is 27 either start him this year or trade him he deserves a chance at 1. i just think since we might lose markstrom id rather trade lack while he still young and sign miller till jacob is ready i guess we will find out this tuesdsay but i for one think people on here under value markstrom way too much

I don't want to lose Markstorm either he has a chance to reform his career and become a good goaltender, maybe go with 3 goalies, 7 defencemans, 13 forwards?

Holy crap we don't even know if Miller wants to come here in the first place!!

If management believes that they can sign him to a short term 1-2, maybe even 3 year deal, then let them. He's not going make us any worse than we were last season and if he does then what's the problem, we'll end up with a top 5 draft pick. It'll help steady out Lack and provide Markstrom time to improve his game (given that Marky stays).

There really isn't much of a negative here other than a lot of you who just want us to tank and don't care that Lack can end up as damaged goods. I say sign Miller to a deal no longer than 2 years, maybe 3 if he signs for around 3.5-4 million. Then we will have a stronger Lack along with a Markstrom on the rise (again that's if Marky stays).

Holy crap we don't even know if Miller wants to come here in the first place!!

If management believes that they can sign him to a short term 1-2, maybe even 3 year deal, then let them. He's not going make us any worse than we were last season and if he does then what's the problem, we'll end up with a top 5 draft pick. It'll help steady out Lack and provide Markstrom time to improve his game (given that Marky stays).

There really isn't much of a negative here other than a lot of you who just want us to tank and don't care that Lack can end up as damaged goods. I say sign Miller to a deal no longer than 2 years, maybe 3 if he signs for around 3.5-4 million. Then we will have a stronger Lack along with a Markstrom on the rise (again that's if Marky stays).

Miller isn't signing a 2-3 deal only to be in free agency again. He wants to take a contract to retirement not hop to different cities every couple of years.

Miller isn't signing a 2-3 deal only to be in free agency again. He wants to take a contract to retirement not hop to different cities every couple of years.

How do you know? What team is going to offer him that kind of contract, anyways?

a rebuild would basically say we are giving up on the twins and the rest of our core and you don't give up on two elite all-star forwards when they can still turn it around and post good numbers with the right support behind them.

The twins are our best chance at a cup right now so as long as Benning can get them some help (he has been doing it so far) we might just be in the mix next season or we could completely fall flat but with a new coach and bringing in players who have done it for him in the past it could be enough to get our other vets going.

Having Miller could be a huge move or it could backfire wait and see i say if we get him.

so this. we are not far off from contending. with a gm unafraid to make moves, we can make it. the sedins are legitimate all stars, and we got 2 of them!. with the right supporting cast, aint a team in the league who we cant match, im excited for this season. training camp should be intense, lots of young ins looking to make it. we can do this. the whole luongo/goalie situation was embarrassing and gillis botched it hard. but benning seems to be able to pull the trigger. IE kes. player wants out. get them out. i expect us to be contending this year, if not in the running for the cup. lets go baby/ 2015 is our year.

Ryan Miller is 34 years old on July 17th and you expect us to sign him for 1-2 years? He's signing for the rest of his career not for jumping cities for the rest of the years he got. All I'm getting from you is that you want to sign Miller, have another Luongo thing because Lack will be good to go if not this year which I think he is then the next year but then guess what? We still got Miller for another 4-5 years at 5+ million so then what you going to do? We got the 6th overall pick last year, I didn't see anybody jumping on Lack. Markstorm doesn't have to save the day, who knows what we'll get out of him but we can have Markstorm share the net with Lack. I don't know, I'm in favour of bringing a cheap goalie like Chad Johnson or Tomas Greiss instead of getting a goalie that is just about done and we sign him for 4-5 years? That's just dumb, especially after the Luongo thing.

Lack has not been done mentored yet? Fine, we'll try again after Miller's 5 year contract is up. Or what if Lack is already good to go after the 1st year of Miller's contract? Uh oh.

You want me to be blunt about it? I'll bite.

If you sign Miller and he's outplayed by Lack, you sell Lack while his value is high. Now, I think Eddie's a great kid, but at the end of our goaltending pipeline is Thatcher Demko. Now, Demko is behind Lack, Markstrom, Eriksson and Cannata on the depth chart, but he's the one billed as having franchise potential. For sake of example, let's say in five years Demko will be properly seasoned and ready to take the next step. Between here and now you've got four great kids that you're going to have to part ways with one way or another. In the meantime we're seeing the Ducks and Kings get great mileage from goaltender depth acquired via trade or developed in house.

It would be a waste to watch these goalies walk away for nothing. If you sign Miller, you can give all four of these kids a chance to show the world what they're made of. If they succeed you can sell them off and stockpile more picks and prospects, and if they falter you can part ways with them knowing that you didn't lose out on anything. Miller doesn't have to be good enough to win us a cup. He's good enough that we can remain competitive while clearing up the path between Demko and the number one position.

Sign Miller to a five year deal, give the kids a shot to fly, and then sell them for futures or let them go. In five years, Ryan can ride off into the sunset. Demko will mentor under an American Olympian and be ready to take over the number one job. All the while we gain picks and prospects to further build up the team as the days of Henrik and Daniel fade into the future of Horvat and Virtanen.

I feel that this is the plan Benning and Linden are going with. Demko is the future in net.

This ownership and management group aren't tanking. Its about time people get over it. Not going to be so bad that Vancouver gets a top pick. Just not happening.

It's like people were asleep all weekend. There's no need to tank now, JB just facilitated the rebuild and has given the kids time to develop in Utica and Jr, all in a matter of three days.

That was kind of the joke.

You know...school just ended and it's going to be a loooooong summer on CDC until it starts back up.

Yes I know which is why I made a sarcastic post. Thought I made that obvious.

It's like people were asleep all weekend. There's no need to tank now, JB just facilitated the rebuild and has given the kids time to develop in Utica and Jr, all in a matter of three days.

This + we haven't even seen a slightest glimpse of UFA and any kinda trades that were talked about between the ones by both Trevor Linden and Jim Benning in the closing interviews after the draft. We're a bit crowded as it is up front with Benning's new guys and ones coming in + Gillis guys that seem to be on their way out. Even if we've had quite a change already, I suspect there will be an amount of tweaks to the roster in the coming weeks. I'd say we will have quite a good overall understanding of what we can do next season in about two weeks from now, when the biggest moves have been made by most of the teams.

As of now I feel we are a playoff team with just the stuff done so far. Adding to that will determine wether we'll be able to really challenge for the cup within the next two years. The first half of the season will surely be a period of some struggle as we search for lines and develop chemistry, adjust to Willie and try out youngsters etc.

The problem with this thinking is that there ins't a market this summer for goalies, especially considering the rumours that Miller would prefer to plan on the West Coast.

Add in the fact that Miller isn't likely to score big on THIS contract, given the play in St. Louis......

Miller's not going to receive a 4-5 year contact from anyone he's interested in playing with.

Miller's not going to receive 6+ million from anyone - the league is changing for goalies.....

I strongly believe that the most Miller will receive is a 3 year deal if he really likes the offer (perhaps salary, or location....).

If he doesn't get an offer from Vancouver he likes, I imagine a 1 year deal. Hope the market improves next year, and try again.....

He wanted to be on LA, Anaheim or SJ and all 3 didnt want him. So he goes down to the closest team in the division so he can visit Cali as often as possible to see his wife. And lets be honest (even though a few will flame me for this) Vancouver is a much nicer place to live in then cow town or oil country and its closer and on the coast.\

Like it or not, Miller will be a Vancouver Canuck.

What is with the lack of support for Lack? A lot of goalies are just thrown to the wolves, and the only mentoring is their goalie coaches. Carey Price at one point (2009-10) played 41 games, was 13 wins, 20 loses, 5 OT's, and a .912 save percentage.

They stuck it out with him, and he just got better.

Tokarski is 24 years old and pretty much thrown in to the playoffs last year. He didn't get them out of the Conference finals, but he's made Budaj redundant.

Lack isn't going to learn if he's sitting on the bench and only plays 30 games. Have him and Markstrom split the games, and let the chips fall where it may. We have up until the trade deadline to make a deal for a goalie.

Archived