The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Ryan Miller to Vancouver Thread

1. Liut says #Canucks made "significant push" but Miller will take his time. SJ and Ducks should be in mix.

2. Liut made Miller available to all teams over weekend in Philly for a vist, #Canucks jumped all over it.

Regarding the bolded: Pierre LeBrun: (Late May)

...a source told ESPN.com Wednesday that the Ducks have decided to stick with the kids in net, John Gibson and Frederik Andersen, and do not plan on courting Miller. You can also rule out fellow California club San Jose. The word out of there is that the Sharks are going to continue to focus on their mini-rebuild and it’s about youth for them. Adding veterans players is not in the cards in San Jose.

Hey, any time you can sign a 34 year old, declining goalie to chase the 8th playoff spot, you gotta make that move!

That's a pretty idiotic comment. What's wrong with being 34? There are a tons of goalies that shine in their 30's. If you think being 34 is too old give your head a shake.

Luit is using Vancouver to leverage the money and term from SJ and Ana, with Van being the last of the 3 options if the others cant come close.

Im not against the signing. Miller will help the Canucks win. Thats what I want, and what a group of players needs. Being surrounded by losing isnt good for any players development, and I certainly dont like to watch it. If the management group wants Miller in the new direction of the team, then I want that too.

He`s imo in the same category of goaltender as Luongo, and his signing nullifies losing Lui, which just adds depth to what we already had.... thus its the exact same team, minus a Kesler + more depth and grit on the roster.

The sum of Markstrom, Bonino, Matthias, Vey, Sbisa, McCann + UFAs signed with the freed up cap space are greater than Kesler, Garrison.

Yeah missing Kesler is going to hurt big time, but the team is far better in the bottom 6... no more Dalpe - Schroeder - Weber combos on the 4th line, or having to play Sestito up the roster. There should now be enough depth to actually utilize 4 lines, and I honestly believe that will overcome the loss of Kesler. Also consider whom else they might be adding to improve the roster, and the kids from the A that might get a shot in case of multiple injury.

Bottom line for me is were tougher, deeper, and younger.... FINALLY its starting to resemble a team that I can not only cheer for, but one I can respect.

Regarding the bolded: Pierre LeBrun: (Late May)

...a source told ESPN.com Wednesday that the Ducks have decided to stick with the kids in net, John Gibson and Frederik Andersen, and do not plan on courting Miller. You can also rule out fellow California club San Jose. The word out of there is that the Sharks are going to continue to focus on their mini-rebuild and it’s about youth for them. Adding veterans players is not in the cards in San Jose.

Other than Edmonton and Calgary, not sure who wants a vet goalie

This ownership and management group aren't tanking. Its about time people get over it. Not going to be so bad that Vancouver gets a top pick. Just not happening.

I would rather watch a team try to compete than tank. If I wanted to watch a team tank and get top draft picks, I would watch Edmonton struggle year in and year out.

How do you know? What team is going to offer him that kind of contract, anyways?

Well I'm sure he doesn't want to hop to different cities every time his short contract is up. He's 34 it's best for him and I'm sure he is looking for a long-term contract than a short one.

You want me to be blunt about it? I'll bite.

If you sign Miller and he's outplayed by Lack, you sell Lack while his value is high. Now, I think Eddie's a great kid, but at the end of our goaltending pipeline is Thatcher Demko. Now, Demko is behind Lack, Markstrom, Eriksson and Cannata on the depth chart, but he's the one billed as having franchise potential. For sake of example, let's say in five years Demko will be properly seasoned and ready to take the next step. Between here and now you've got four great kids that you're going to have to part ways with one way or another. In the meantime we're seeing the Ducks and Kings get great mileage from goaltender depth acquired via trade or developed in house.

It would be a waste to watch these goalies walk away for nothing. If you sign Miller, you can give all four of these kids a chance to show the world what they're made of. If they succeed you can sell them off and stockpile more picks and prospects, and if they falter you can part ways with them knowing that you didn't lose out on anything. Miller doesn't have to be good enough to win us a cup. He's good enough that we can remain competitive while clearing up the path between Demko and the number one position.

Sign Miller to a five year deal, give the kids a shot to fly, and then sell them for futures or let them go. In five years, Ryan can ride off into the sunset. Demko will mentor under an American Olympian and be ready to take over the number one job. All the while we gain picks and prospects to further build up the team as the days of Henrik and Daniel fade into the future of Horvat and Virtanen.

I feel that this is the plan Benning and Linden are going with. Demko is the future in net.

Let's trade another young goaltender we just developed? Demko won't be ready for 5 years he can play behind Eddie Lack who will be 31 then he doesn't need to play behind a 36-37 year old Miller when Demko reaches the NHL level. You're going to put all your trust into hoping Demko's development? We don't need to acquire Ryan Miller. I don't know why you seem to think we are in some sort of trouble with our goaltending situation, we're not. Acquire a backup don't acquire an old, washed up, about to get overpaid goaltender in Ryan Miller. If you aren't playing to win the cup then I'm not with you.

You have no trust in Eddie Lack? Give him a shot at being a starter for god sakes, he deserves it. He's been under Luongo for a bit, he's shown he can start games if it doesn't go well then acquire a cheap backup via trade or sign. I don't know why you think we need to go big and sign Ryan Miller, that's just a waste of cap space. Just sign Marty Brodeur to develop Lack if you don't want to give Lack an opportunity. This is all in a span of 5-6 years, what a waste of time.

The problem with this thinking is that there ins't a market this summer for goalies, especially considering the rumours that Miller would prefer to plan on the West Coast.

Add in the fact that Miller isn't likely to score big on THIS contract, given the play in St. Louis......

Miller's not going to receive a 4-5 year contact from anyone he's interested in playing with.

Miller's not going to receive 6+ million from anyone - the league is changing for goalies.....

I strongly believe that the most Miller will receive is a 3 year deal if he really likes the offer (perhaps salary, or location....).

If he doesn't get an offer from Vancouver he likes, I imagine a 1 year deal. Hope the market improves next year, and try again.....

3 year deal takes Miller to 37, maybe 3 years but I'm thinking he wants a deal to the end of his career which is 4-5.

The cap is going up, Miller was a previous Vezina winner and teams will be desperate to have him so they will pay 6+ million or atleast close to it. Trust me he won't sign a 1 year deal just because he doesn't get a deal from Vancouver he's looking, I'm sure they're other teams who are looking for Ryan Miller than just us.

Luit is using Vancouver to leverage the money and term from SJ and Ana, with Van being the last of the 3 options if the others cant come close.

This is reason enough alone to get into the public eye / appearance of being interested in spending big on Miller. Driving the price up for those teams makes sense regardless of the outcome.

Lack is 26 and he is NHL ready. Whether he is ready for 60 games isn't known, but he is NHL ready.

Markstrom is 24 - where he will be come training camp will be interesting to watch, but he's an NHL talent and he's certainly got some seasoning in the A.

Eriksson is also 24 - and he's not a spring chicken. Had a couple downright outstanding seasons in the SEL, winning a championship and proving that he is a big game, playoff goaltender. He also had a very good year in Utica last year after the team as a whole got off to a pretty dismal start. Eriksson also definitely has NHL potential.

When you draft a goaltender like Demko, the word around here seems to be that it will take 5 years before he is ready to step up. That would put him at 23 years old, wouldn't it.

I'm not opposed to adding an insurance goaltender to the mix, but I'm not convinced it has to be a veteran starter who is going to expect the bulk of the work. I'd much rather go after a guy like Greiss who can come in and very reasonably play 40 if necessary - but also is not in a position to protest if Lack and Markstrom command the type of roles that their potential indicates. Eriksson is also not out of the question / equation imo, although another year of commanding big minutes in Utica would not hurt.

This team is obviously going younger this coming season - hope that proves to be the case in the crease as well - and really, a mix that includes a 26 year old, a pair of 24 year olds, and potentially a 28 year old like Greiss is something I would be perfectly comfortable with - in fact excited about. I want to see one of the guys we are developing step up and command the role - and I think R,M has proven entirely capable of producing just that.

Adding a guy in that range - likely in the same cap hit class as our existing goaltenders- not only leaves a great incentive for our young goaltenders to compete for games, but also leaves a whole lot of cap in store to be players if a franchise defenseman should come on the market, and in the running for top 6 guys on the market (ie Stastny or Iginla) , or potentially on the market as sellers emerge in the coming season if a handful is kept on reserve, an idea I also like. Spending a whack on Miller, even if for only a couple years, could come back to bite or handcuff the Canucks, and given the amount of alternative options and quality young talent near NHL readiness, I like the idea of having that cap disposable elsewhere.

I am, however, in favour of helping drive the price for Miller up.

Lack is 26 and he is NHL ready. Whether he is ready for 60 games isn't known, but he is NHL ready.

Markstrom is 24 - where he will be come training camp will be interesting to watch, but he's an NHL talent and he's certainly got some seasoning in the A.

Eriksson is also 24 - and he's not a spring chicken. Had a couple downright outstanding seasons in the SEL, winning a championship and proving that he is a big game, playoff goaltender. He also had a very good year in Utica last year after the team as a whole got off to a pretty dismal start. Eriksson also definitely has NHL potential.

When you draft a goaltender like Demko, the word around here seems to be that it will take 5 years before he is ready to step up. That would put him at 23 years old, wouldn't it.

I'm not opposed to adding an insurance goaltender to the mix, but I'm not convinced it has to be a veteran starter who is going to expect the bulk of the work. I'd much rather go after a guy like Greiss who can come in and very reasonably play 40 if necessary - but also is not in a position to protest if Lack and Markstrom command the type of roles that their potential indicates. Eriksson is also not out of the question / equation imo, although another year of commanding big minutes in Utica would not hurt.

This team is obviously going younger this coming season - hope that proves to be the case in the crease as well - and really, a mix that includes a 26 year old, a pair of 24 year olds, and potentially a 28 year old like Greiss is something I would be perfectly comfortable with - in fact excited about. I want to see one of the guys we are developing step up and command the role - and I think R,M has proven entirely capable of producing just that.

I think it's clear that you sign a vet goalie for the next 2 years

use Lack - Eriksson for the 3-4 years after that,

use Lack - Eriksson - Demko (whoever is the best at the time) for the foreseeable future after that

That's a pretty idiotic comment. What's wrong with being 34? There are a tons of goalies that shine in their 30's. If you think being 34 is too old give your head a shake.

Luongo is currently 35.

To me it's not about the goaltending anyway. It's about the defense and the size of the pads the goaltender is able to use in the playoffs. Crawford/Niemi style.

I think it's clear that you sign a vet goalie for the next 2 years

use Lack - Eriksson for the 3-4 years after that,

use Lack - Eriksson - Demko (whoever is the best at the time) for the foreseeable future after that

Whether that needs to be a $6 million guy who will expect to be the #1 is another matter, and where I depart with those in favour of MIller, who I would be surprised to see sign for less, or for merely two years.

$6 million would be less than he made last season - and he's in a cap raise market with legit contenders looking to add a goaltender, and not a whole lot of comparables to compete with for those terms.

My preference would be a guy like Greiss as stated, or Lindback or even a more realistic short term quality veteran like Vokoun. Dubnyk wouldn't be out of the question imo. I think there are better options in a more palatable range, particularly with the possibility that whomever is brought in, even Ryan Miller, could be outplayed by Eddie Lack and find themselves sitting where Luongo sat.

If none of the abover were added I'd still be comfortable with the three 24-26 year olds in the system. I am neither expecting a contending team the first half of the coming season, nor is the option of adding a goaltender as the season progresses out of the question if necessary.

I could see one of Markstrom or Lack being involved in a package if we go after one of Miller or Hiller. If thats the plan I hope we sign miller for more then 2 years just to buy us some time til Demko is ready in 4-5 years.

Would love for us to land a player like Myers. Love that proposed deal of: Tanev, Hansen, and Markstrom for Myers.

Be interesting to see what happens. We have a log jam with 3rd line players so I expect one or 2 of these guybs to be traded: Higgins, Hansen, and Burrows. (Heard rumour burrows has asked to be traded. Will see what happens regardless.)

I'm just curious what's with all this Miller hate? There seems to be a preference of Hiller over Miller. Why is that?

Well, frankly I never liked either. Miller plays a hybrid style that no longer works in the new NHL, wears ugly street hockey gear, and seems to have a pretty big ego. He's not part of the new dominant generation of American goaltenders (Quick, Schneider, Howard, etc.), and has never won a single thing in his career. He's a hack.

Hiller also has a confusing style, and wears Koho pads 15 years after they've gone out of business... He's better suited for today's NHL, but still seriously lacks consistency.

Lack is big, eager to learn, and is starting to build some swagger - I guarantee he'll be a better goalie than either one next year, and possibly in his career.

Archived