The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Ryan Miller to Vancouver Thread

Just watched the video on TSN about Georges rejecting a trade to Toronto. After they were done talking about Georges and a few other things they said that the Canucks were courting Miller pretty hard. Not sure if there's any truth to it though.

N

This will be a great signing. Miller is a top 10 goalie

No, he's not.

Over the last 4 years he is 15th in save percentage, with a .916 mark. Right next to Fleury and Ward. He is a very average goalie.

I might die of laughter if we sign Miller tomorrow.

Guys come on Lack is good with this, he not only learned from Luongo but gets to learn from Miller also. It's a good deal either way, we are not going to tank so lets just go ahead and sign Miller to nice 2-3 year deal and then have Lack become a beast.

Did YOU KNOW.. that when approaching a milestone post-count, 92.87% of posts are positive?!

Agree with you, btw...:^)

The mid-day show on The Team said they heard of a proposed offer for 3 years at 15-16.5 million...so $5-5.5/Year for 3 years. Thats something i can live with.

This team is not going full rebuild....TL and JB have said from day one that they are looking to make the playoffs every year and the trades he made look towards this. Instead of getting a bunch of prospects and picks we have gotten 3 players ages 22, 24, 26...the age this club has been lacking. What Benning has done is acquire players that we should have had in our system already with 2nd round picks that were traded away over the last 10 years.

If JB could sign Miller, somehow get Johanssen out of Columbus, and sign a couple of good free agents we could be a contender right away..

No, he's not.

Over the last 4 years he is 15th in save percentage, with a .916 mark. Right next to Fleury and Ward. He is a very average goalie.

Because he was playing for BUFFALO. One might argue he didn't do well with St. Louis either but that was because he didn't have enough time to adapt to their system. Miller and a few more pieces would make us a playoff team.

I doubt our new management would be so quick to give out a long term deal, especially when we have Lack, who in the opinion of many can start in this league right now.

I would not mind at all if we signed Miller to a 2 or 3 year deal though. Especially around 5-6m. Great value.

The only opinion that matters however is managements. Couple that with Lack breaking down physically at the end of last year and its clear they will attempt to bring in a bonafide starter. A little surprised about all the flack Miller is getting on here. I mean sure I would like to see Lack succeed, but you have an elite netminder available, will cost you nothing but money and has an in with Vancouver's geography and the GM. How is this not a good thing.

Furthermore maybe a 2 or 3 year deal is ideal, but if Benning has a chance to acquire Miller, whom he believes is one of the better goaltenders in the League then why not a 4 or 5 year deal ?

Lack will continue to improve while being somewhat insulated from wear and tear on his body, can develop into a 1B type in the meantime. Nothing wrong with that.

No, he's not.

I am sorry to hear that, well at least you will go out with a smile on your face right ?

Did YOU KNOW.. that when approaching a milestone post-count, 92.87% of posts are positive?!

Agree with you, btw...:^)

I honestly didn't even know that I was at 1000 posts lol

Thanks for pointing that out and I just agree with the moves our current management is making at the time (by the players they are looking to get). The terms and dollars however could make me sour about the whole thing also.

Because he was playing for BUFFALO. One might argue he didn't do well with St. Louis either but that was because he didn't have enough time to adapt to their system. Miller and a few more pieces would make us a playoff team.

Buffalo has not been a terrible team for all of Miller's career though. In 2008/09, 2010/11 and 2011/12 the Sabres were either good or average, and Miller posted average numbers. Once Buffalo got truly terrible, Miller's numbers haven't really declined - in fact his time with Buffalo last year was his best stretch of play since 2010.

You really can't blame Miller's numbers on Buffalo. Teams can control the quantity of shots a goalie faces, but have very little control over the quality of such shots. Miller has posted average numbers on good teams, average teams and bad teams. Because he's an average goalie.

Please advise paramedics to be standing by.

I picture them breaking out the defibrillator and miraculously rescuing me. And then as I lay there recovering in the hospital, a breaking news bulletin comes over the radio: "The Canucks have signed Dave Bolland to a 6 year deal..."

Code Blue.

Buffalo has not been a terrible team for all of Miller's career though. In 2008/09, 2010/11 and 2011/12 the Sabres were either good or average, and Miller posted average numbers. Once Buffalo got truly terrible, Miller's numbers haven't really declined - in fact his time with Buffalo last year was his best stretch of play since 2010.

You really can't blame Miller's numbers on Buffalo. Teams can control the quantity of shots a goalie faces, but have very little control over the quality of such shots. Miller has posted average numbers on good teams, average teams and bad teams. Because he's an average goalie.

His 09-10 campaign was far from average.

Has his play declined? Sure...As expected from an aging goaltender with a lot of miles on his tires. Can he still play a solid net and keep teams in games, giving them a chance to win and taking up 50 games, allowing a young netminder to ease into a #1 role instead of being forced into it?? I assume so and I guess that is why the Canucks management is interested.

Honestly if we sign miller and iginla we could be contenders.

Sedin sedin kassian

Jensen bonino iginla

Higgins matthias burrows

Richardson Vey Dorsett

Hamuis edler

Sbisa bieksa

Stanton tanev

Miller

Lack

That is a pretty good line up.

People need to stop putting Vey as a 4th liner only because there isnt anywhere else to fit him.

Look at his AHL numbers and tell me that he was brought in here to play 4th line minutes. Please. He's a scorer and needs to be given the chance to score in order to justify the deal. He will be in the top 9, if not top 6.

Miller has posted average numbers on good teams, average teams and bad teams. Because he's an average goalie.

Give it a rest man.

Miller is an elite goalie. Anyone who argues otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

Average goalies don't win the Vezina, and carry their teams to the gold medal game.

He's as good as Lu, and has been on a bad team for most of his career. If we can get him on a 2-3 year deal, it will be great for the team. We better not hear you whining about it if it does get done. Just deal with it.

People need to stop putting Vey as a 4th liner only because there isnt anywhere else to fit him.

Look at his AHL numbers and tell me that he was brought in here to play 4th line minutes. Please. He's a scorer and needs to be given the chance to score in order to justify the deal. He will be in the top 9, if not top 6.

Can easily switch him and matthias

I'd be fine with this. Miller is an elite goalie. He wasn't great in the playoffs this year but it was his first time ever there with the Blues. He took the US to the gold medal game in 2010, and there were some very good teams. He was a beast in Buffalo which has been a bottom 5 team forever.

I wasn't saying no to signing Miller I was saying no to giving him anything more than 2 years.

Asset management by trading a young goaltender that is reaching his prime? LIke Cory Schneider? Let's just keep trading young goaltenders when they start becoming good because that's some good asset management!

Are you going to trade Demko when he starts becoming good too? :lol:

For more first round picks and more prospects? Absolutely. Much better than having them leaves as free agents and getting nothing for them. Miller to Demko is how it should play out. From the sounds of it, we're going in that direction.

Archived