The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Ryan Miller to Vancouver Thread

Kelcey Brade ‏@ctv_kelcey
#Canucks believe they're the front-runners in pursuit of Ryan Miller. I've been told it is "very likely" he signs w/ VAN tmrw. @ctvvancouver
Dammit.

Miller is the one of the best shootout goalies of all-time. He is 2nd to only Lunqvist in shootout wins if im not mistaken.

Miller is a pure positional goalie. That's why he is so good at stopping breakaways and playing in a shootout.

So much hate for Miller, he is an upgrade in net for the time being, give Lack some time to adjust to a starting role. Miller is good in shootouts and with our lack of scoring so far, it looks as though we might be in a lot more shootouts this coming season as well, which if Miller delivers our team shootout wins then the fanbase will be that much more happier for it. The only knock on him I had was his locker room interviews w/ the Sabres where he hung his team out to dry, but that was the Sabres, our team although last year was an aberration are not the Sabres, not by a long shot.

The only reasons why I'm not crazy about Miller are:

- Doesn't strike me a a team first guy. Hopefully I'm wrong on that.

- People are talking about him mentoring Lack. Have you seen any evidence he mentored anyone in Buffalo or St. Louis?

- Has a reputation for being a head case. Now to be fair, a lot of goalies are head cases, didn't stop Ed Balfour from winning a cup.

- Lack is 26. He played 41 games, had a .912 save percentage, and 2.41 GAA. Now that GAA is slightly worse than Luongo. And the same as Varlamov, and Lehtonen. By way of comparison, Lundqvist had a GAA of 2.36, and Brobovsky had 2.38. He doesn't seem to be too far off from deserving the starting job.

Bringing in someone else, just as he's adapting to a starting role, might be the worst thing to destroy his confidence. I think the reason people want Hiller is to split the duties to keep him in the 40-50 game range, and we're assuming Hiller would have no issue sharing the net. Miller might have a problem with that. The other issue is then it seems management has no faith in Markstrom with the backup job, so we'd have to move him elsewhere.

As I've stated before. It's hard to improve your skills if you're sitting on the bench.

Archived