The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markstrom- Whats going to happen with him?

JustABandwagoner

The Ryan Miller signing (agree with it or not) has made one of Lack and Markstrom expandable.

The idea of a package deal to the Jets is interesting and they are one of few teams that really need better goaltending. I think Lack has more value and I think Markstrom has similar upside so Lack makes more sense to be moved. Add Hansen to players that make sense for Winnipeg and you have the start of a package for one of their players. The Canucks need offense.

Lack, Hansen, and Shinkaruk for Kane?

Whats with you and people dealing Shinkaruk. -_-

I don't think Markstrom has a lot of marketability around the NHL. If he's lost on waivers, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Certainly not a big deal for us but bittersweet considering he was a large part of the package from the Luongo deal and the potential is there he could turn out to be the goalie he once was hyped to be which would sting even more.

For those wondering how he was went to the AHL last year it's because he was waiver exempt. Once you pass 4 years after your first contract you are waiver eligible. He passed that at the end of the 2014 season.

He's going to quietly sob into his cornflakes for a few days. Then he's going to get really determined and show up in camp and outplay Miller so badly that the Canucks have NO CHOICE but to hand him the #1 starting position.

It will leave us no choice but to trade Miller to a team for a 1st round pick in 2015.

That team will badly crash and burn missing the playoffs by a mile and will magically win the draft lottery, gifting us McDavid next summer........

How's that for a story line?? B)

Mike Gillis is that you??

I would say he goes to Utica, but i think i heard he is on a 1 way contract. If so then he will probably be put on waivers and be back up for another team. And that would suck cause then we basically traded Luongo for Shawn Matthias :sadno:

Stop fretting about a player who didn't want to be in Vancouver.

The Ryan Miller signing (agree with it or not) has made one of Lack and Markstrom expandable.

The idea of a package deal to the Jets is interesting and they are one of few teams that really need better goaltending. I think Lack has more value and I think Markstrom has similar upside so Lack makes more sense to be moved. Add Hansen to players that make sense for Winnipeg and you have the start of a package for one of their players. The Canucks need offense.

Trade the goalie that is supposed to be our #1 starter sooner or later, a scoring 4th liner and a top prospect for an under performing player with a terrible attitude? Yeah, no.

It's all about depth. Let Markstrom, Lack and Ericksson battle it out for the back-up job and then look at a trade when the season is going to start. Seeing how GM JB has started his tenure in respect to trading, methinks he won't hesitate to strike a deal if one is close to being there oppose to sitting and letting things feaster like the previous regime.

Last I heard was Markstrom was on a 1-way deal and can't get sent to the minors without clearing waivers.

Last I heard 1 way deals have nothing to do with waivers. B)

But no, both Lack and Markstrom are eligible for waivers.

I'm not completely sure why people seem to think Markstrom won't clear waivers. After all, he was playing for the Panthers AHL team when he was acquired, so he must have cleared waivers when he was sent down then. And it's not like he's done anything to make him any more attractive to other teams since then.

He only becomes waiver eligible this year. He didn't have to clear waivers to this point.

Well, if Benning and the Jets have been working on a potential Kane deal, Markstrom would be involved in a package, as the Jets need a backup to challenge Pavs.

I hope this was accidental, because that would make it even better! Now I have the Elton John song stuck in my head, along with the dream of us getting Evander Kane for a deal involving Markstrom. Thanks! :)

I'm probably in the minority here but as much as I like lack and think he's a solid goalie I that that's all he will be just a solid middle of the road goalie. He plays position very well but other then that I don't think he has great skill.

Markstrom could be the better goalie or he could be a flop, he has much more potential to be an elite tender.

If I were the nucks I take the gamble and go with markstrom to see how he pans out because you get a better return off lack and have more potential with markstrom.

I doubt Markstrom would clear waivers so one has to assume there will be a trade. He still young as a tender. Should be a limited market.

On the other hand if we have a to be of cap space there is nothing against carrying 3 goalies. But yea something is bound to happen

Archived