The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markstrom- Whats going to happen with him?

JustABandwagoner

Hopefully we can package one of Lack or Markstrom for a potential #1 D man to work with elder. Maybe Myers

Very good point, Lack has good value right, Miller will likely be effective for the duration of his contract, by then maybe Demko is ready or either Markstrom, Cannata or Ericsson.

• 2 months later...

I think Dale Tallon is the guy to be talking to.

Florida could use a very talented goaltending prospect and their backups are....uninspiring.

Markstrom could be the third consecutive up and comer to take Luongo's job lol.

Markstrom to Florida for Alex Petrovic.

Getter done JB.

Florida could use a very talented goaltending prospect and their backups are....uninspiring.

Getter done JB.

Why would Florida take Markstrom back?

They obviously gave up on him if they were willing to trade him for Lu.

we can debate lack till the cows come home, but the bottom line is what goalie starts there career at 30 as a #1? in a perfect world he would have been coreys backup 3 years ago the ship has sailed on lack better to let him get a chance in the peg and try and do a package with hanson and jenson and roll with miller and markstrom until markstrom is ready and if not then demko should be ready in 3 years. if u look at 1st and 2nd round goalies the average age they come to the nhl is 20-21 lou price brodour fluery gibson allen wetc etc. i like lack hes a great team player but as mcann says it is what it is. his development was screwed up and now with miller herei just dont see a fit. also if we did snag kane from the jets for lack hanson jenson and a pick. i wonder if we still go after myers/ maybe tanev and higgens and a pick talk about changing the core anmd yes i know im being a tard but a top 6 of the twins verbata kass bones kane and vey plus myers on d miller in net tell me how that wouldnt be a way better team then weve had since the cup run or switch kane for erickson i dunno im going crazy . we finally have a gunslinger for a gm i love it gcg

I just want you to know that nobody read more than the first three words you wrote.

And apparently that ridiculous font doesn't transfer in the quote, so yeah. You're welcome.

I figure there's no big hurry to move Markstrom, unless the team is looking to do something else with his roster spot and caphit.

If they want him placed in the minors then I suspect that this is something which will be researched quite thoroughly before they wind up giving him away..

If he can't clear waivers then he stays here. Or he's traded. Or if all else fails, waived.

Getter done JB.

I suspect that Tallon wouldn't go for this trade, but who knows? Maybe he made a side deal with Gillis that the Canucks would return Markstrom prior to the start of this season.

regards,

G.

I figure there's no big hurry to move Markstrom, unless the team is looking to do something else with his roster spot and caphit.

If they want him placed in the minors then I suspect that this is something which will be researched quite thoroughly before they wind up giving him away..

If he can't clear waivers then he stays here. Or he's traded. Or if all else fails, waived.

I suspect that Tallon wouldn't go for this trade, but who knows? Maybe he made a side deal with Gillis that the Canucks would return Markstrom prior to the start of this season.

regards,

G.

Yeah, who knows.

We don't really know what landed Markstrom in theLuongo deal.

Was it at Gillis' insistence because he was high on the big young prospect? Markstrom is after all the prototypical modern NHL goaltender - a big, athletic backstop.

Or perhaps it was Luongo's agent who insisted that the prospect must go if Luo is to accept a deal to FLA haha.

I'm not one of the folks around here who thought Luongo had negative value, or would require a cap dump in return to make a deal happen. I thought he was worth a couple quality young assets/prospects - and that imo is what Matthias and Markstrom are.

In any event, Markstrom played some very good hockey in the A for Florida, and i highly doubt he was a contract or cap dump in that deal - he is a high ceiling / very highly touted young prospect. I was and am happy to get him back in that deal, but the Canucks crease is pretty cramped at present, and Lack, Eriksson and Themko certainly give them a wealth of youth.

Florida on the other hand isn't quite as rich in goaltending youth, and they're running with a couple backups named Ellis and Montoya. Not bad, but a prospective future franchise goaltender in that system would not hurt at all. On the other hand, as I pointed out, they have no shortage of young blueliners (or centers for that matter) - Gudbranson, Kulikov, Matheson, Eckblad, Robak, and Olsen.....perhaps Petrovic could be had. Maybe it takes a sweetener, who knows?

Really just spitballin' but where the Canucks are concerned, I'd be willing to move a C or G for a D prospect - and while it's doubtful Florida would be interested in a C given their youth depth at C, a quality G prospect on the other hand might be of interest.

Yeah, who knows.

We don't really know what landed Markstrom in theLuongo deal.

Was it at Gillis' insistence because he was high on the big young prospect? Markstrom is after all the prototypical modern NHL goaltender - a big, athletic backstop.

Or perhaps it was Luongo's agent who insisted that the prospect must go if Luo is to accept a deal to FLA haha.

I'm not one of the folks around here who thought Luongo had negative value, or would require a cap dump in return to make a deal happen. I thought he was worth a couple quality young assets/prospects - and that imo is what Matthias and Markstrom are.

In any event, Markstrom played some very good hockey in the A for Florida, and i highly doubt he was a contract or cap dump in that deal - he is a high ceiling / very highly touted young prospect. I was and am happy to get him back in that deal, but the Canucks crease is pretty cramped at present, and Lack, Eriksson and Themko certainly give them a wealth of youth.

Florida on the other hand isn't quite as rich in goaltending youth, and they're running with a couple backups named Ellis and Montoya. Not bad, but a prospective future franchise goaltender in that system would not hurt at all. On the other hand, as I pointed out, they have no shortage of young blueliners (or centers for that matter) - Gudbranson, Kulikov, Matheson, Eckblad, Robak, and Olsen.....perhaps Petrovic could be had. Maybe it takes a sweetener, who knows?

Really just spitballin' but where the Canucks are concerned, I'd be willing to move a C or G for a D prospect - and while it's doubtful Florida would be interested in a C given their youth depth at C, a quality G prospect on the other hand might be of interest.

Or, perhaps the folks who suggest that Lack is the guy to go are correct and he gets moved to Florida for Petrovic...

Personally, that trade would make me happy in that the Canucks get a good, young prospect. It also makes me a bit uneasy in that if Miller were to decide he wanted out sooner rather than later, and the Canucks did trade Lack, then they'd be left with a lot of potential and no experience.

regards,

G.

I think there's a tendency on these boards to write Markstrom off too easily and early (as some hasty Panthers fans may have) - or come to the odd conclusion that Florida 'gave up on him.' The tendency here seems to be to significantly undervalue him simply because he wan't handed the backup role and appears displaced by the acquisition of Miller.

But the fact is that he is only 24, and that is actually particularly young for a goaltender like him.

His numbers in the AHL are fairly outstanding with sv% of .927, .920 and .918.

His stints in Florida were short and for the most part involved playing primarily behind depleted teams that were deadline sellers.

It's also worth keeping in larger context - he's 24 years old - and when you look at the comparables, the other big young athletic goaltenders - it took Pekka Rinne until he was 26 to earn a starting role in Nashville. Ben Bishop is just emerging as a starter at age 27. Eddie Lack is 26 and generally is not considered ready for a starting role. 24 is younger than some folks may realize.

Guys like the highly respected Panthers writer Harvey Filatov weren't really very pleased to see them deal Markstrom, and Pierre McGuire called the deal "larceny".

Markstrom is still a premier young talent/prospect - with no shortage of value - and a great deal of potential that hasn't actually had as much time to develop as might be perceived. I see why Gillis wanted him, and I hope there's a way of getting value for him if he must be moved. The fact that Miller came at no cost in assets and replaces Luongo theoretically reduces the need to get value for Markstrom - and at the same time may make it more difficult to get market value for him.

Or, perhaps the folks who suggest that Lack is the guy to go are correct and he gets moved to Florida for Petrovic...

Personally, that trade would make me happy in that the Canucks get a good, young prospect. It also makes me a bit uneasy in that if Miller were to decide he wanted out sooner rather than later, and the Canucks did trade Lack, then they'd be left with a lot of potential and no experience.

regards,

G.

I don't know. I'm highly resistant to moving Lack - if anything, I was in favour of signing a tandem guy to share starts with him as opposed to a 6 million franchise goaltender... But it's hard to argue with that decision even if the term was a year-ish longer than ideal and the caphit a premium.

I won't be surprised if Eddie holds his own and we have another wealth of starters crisis. That would be great.

If Markstrom could be sent to Utica..... perhaps Florida would be interested in Eriksson, who's also an upgrade on their youth/prospects imo. But who knows what JB has in store for Lack and Markstrom? That might be the most interesting situation heading into opening night.

I think there's a tendency on these boards to write Markstrom off too easily and early (as some hasty Panthers fans may have) - or come to the odd conclusion that Florida 'gave up on him.' The tendency here seems to be to significantly undervalue him simply because he wan't handed the backup role and appears displaced by the acquisition of Miller.

But the fact is that he is only 24, and that is actually particularly young for a goaltender like him.

His numbers in the AHL are fairly outstanding with sv% of .927, .920 and .918.

His stints in Florida were short and for the most part involved playing primarily behind depleted teams that were deadline sellers.

It's also worth keeping in larger context - he's 24 years old - and when you look at the comparables, the other big young athletic goaltenders - it took Pekka Rinne until he was 26 to earn a starting role in Nashville. Ben Bishop is just emerging as a starter at age 27. Eddie Lack is 26 and generally is not considered ready for a starting role. 24 is younger than some folks may realize.

Guys like the highly respected Panthers writer Harvey Filatov weren't really very pleased to see them deal Markstrom, and Pierre McGuire called the deal "larceny".

Markstrom is still a premier young talent/prospect - with no shortage of value - and a great deal of potential that hasn't actually had as much time to develop as might be perceived. I see why Gillis wanted him, and I hope there's a way of getting value for him if he must be moved. The fact that Miller came at no cost in assets and replaces Luongo theoretically reduces the need to get value for Markstrom - and at the same time may make it more difficult to get market value for him.

Excellent post

I doubt Markstrom would clear waivers so one has to assume there will be a trade. He still young as a tender. Should be a limited market.

I think its safe to rule this one out.

That would basically mean another team intends on using him in at least a back up role next season, because it doesn't make much sense to sign a guy who didnt clear waivers just to see if he can clear waivers when you send him down.

Send him down, see if you can salvage something. Not sure what other option is available. Trade value? Yikes.

Thanks a bunch Gillis.

we can debate lack till the cows come home, but the bottom line is what goalie starts there career at 30 as a #1? in a perfect world he would have been coreys backup 3 years ago the ship has sailed on lack better to let him get a chance in the peg and try and do a package with hanson and jenson and roll with miller and markstrom until markstrom is ready and if not then demko should be ready in 3 years. if u look at 1st and 2nd round goalies the average age they come to the nhl is 20-21 lou price brodour fluery gibson allen wetc etc. i like lack hes a great team player but as mcann says it is what it is. his development was screwed up and now with miller herei just dont see a fit. also if we did snag kane from the jets for lack hanson jenson and a pick. i wonder if we still go after myers/ maybe tanev and higgens and a pick talk about changing the core anmd yes i know im being a tard but a top 6 of the twins verbata kass bones kane and vey plus myers on d miller in net tell me how that wouldnt be a way better team then weve had since the cup run or switch kane for erickson i dunno im going crazy . we finally have a gunslinger for a gm i love it gcg

34fabd92facfee3fafd3f71ef874cae4aae0a528

Our problem is we are spoiled by the perception created by Torts. That Markstrom could not be trusted to be put in the net.

If there is / was fragility in his technique as was alluded last season; he will have had nearly 6 months to work with goaltending coaches. He is supposed to be supremely gifted. Lets see what plays out at training camp.

The odds of a trade, any trade, Lack or Markstrom go up significantly if he's kickin ass in the preseason.

Sure if we want to be next years NYI. Traded their 1st for Vanek and it became top 5 pick.

Terrible comparison. Vanek was a 30 year old UFA. Kane is 23 years old and under contract for four more years. Also we will likely finish in the top 20, so the chances of our pick being a top 5 are fairly slim. Winnipeg probably wouldn't make that deal though.

I think the best we can hope for is that he'll be a throw in piece for a defenseman.

At this point not many teams are gonna offer much for him considering the Canucks goalie situation. I think we'd be lucky to get a 3rd or 4th rounder for him.

Agreed. Honestly I can see us loosing him for nothing on waivers

I'm sure glad people still use comic sans...

Marky gotta play ridiculous at camp and probably in a couple pre season games to get a shot at the NHL. Great guy to be able to call up from the A in case of injuries, but I highly doubt that's what he wants to have happen.

If he's not up with us then he's not working with Rollie, and that's what would be best for him.

Archived