The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So How Many Goals Are We Going to Score Next Season?

DownUndaCanuck

Obviously we're not going to be contending for a while, but the Canucks should look to make the playoffs at least to build a winning culture for these kids to come into, similar to how the Avs and Wild are slowly growing as contending teams. To do that, we need to score goals, and after losing Kesler and Garrison, while not really grabbing any of the top-end UFA forwards, where are our goals going to come from?

So far here's our opening night roster:

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen

Kassian - Bonino - Higgins

Hansen - Matthias - Burrows

Horvat - Richardson - Dorsett

Shinkaruk - Vey - Archibald (injury replacements)

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Sbisa - Corrado

Stanton/Weber

These are fairly realistic estimates based on age and how well the player did last season. What do you guys think?

Daniel = 24G (on the down-swing but Torts destroyed the twins production)

Henrik = 13G

Jensen = 16G (very optimistic but if he's a mainstay the Sedins will make him a scorer)

Kassian = 26G (will get some Sedin time, had 14G last season thrown all around the roster)

Bonino = 20G (going to get bigger minutes than the 2nd/3rd line center role last year where he scored 22)

Higgins = 16G (getting older, not going to score at a 20 goal pace anymore)

Hansen = 15G (pretty consistent 3rd liner, may break-out but probably won't)

Matthias = 16G (deserves the 3C spot and showed he was better later in the season)

Burrows = 12G (getting older and looked horrible last season, as well as at the world cup)

Horvat = 6G (will be in and out of the lineup)

Richardson = 8G (should be our staple 4C all season)

Dorsett = 7G

Shinkaruk = 6G (in about 30 games, should get lots of injury replacement time)

Vey = 4G (in about 20 games, he's proven he can produce in the NHL already)

Archibald = 0G

Forwards total = 189 goals

Edler = 8G (might score 40 points if he's lucky to bounce back, but will get lots of PP time with Garrison gone)

Hamhuis = 6G

Bieksa = 6G

Tanev = 7G (showed some promise last season offensively, will get PP time with Garrison's loss)

Corrado = 4G (has a heavy shot, showed he can score too)

Sbisa = 3G

Stanton = 1G

Weber = 3G

Defensemen totals = 38 goals

Total = 227 goals

Now considering the Kings, Wild, Red Wings, Rangers and Canadiens all scored less than 227 goals last year but were for the most part the most successful playoff teams, these Canucks aren't too far off. Obviously Kesler's loss was a big one but we've got some guys who can still score 15-20 goals which is all we really need. This is assuming that Kassian, Daniel and Jensen all have big 20-goal seasons which is really what the year is resting on.

Ill do the top dogs, in order.

Kassian - 22

Burrows - 19

Daniel - 18

Bones - 17

Higgins - 16

Hank - 15

Hansen - 14

Matthias - 13

Richardson 12

(lol pretty much 1 in a descending order)

Jensen - 15+ pace if he plays at least 40 games.

These guesses could all change if we make roster changes, just how I see it folding out with the current/assumed lineup. Still think Kassian leads the team, and is the only one who will break 20.

No, every now and then I take a break and think about your mum. Need something to jack my knife to ya know.

Do you touch your keyboard with those hands?

Eww.........

Otherwise, I'd say you're almost correct in your estimation as the team currently sits, and assuming that guys who had an off year last season bounce back this season. I figure Burrows for a few more than you pegged him at, Possibly they could be as high as 240(ish).

regards,

G.

Wouldn't get too hopeful about numerous 20g campaigns. We are coming off a year where only 1 player hit that mark, no one else was really close. Bonino did crack 20 as well, still, that leaves 1 player on the roster coming off a 20+ season. I would be pretty surprised if more than 2 players hit 20.

Obviously we're not going to be contending for a while, but the Canucks should look to make the playoffs at least to build a winning culture for these kids to come into, similar to how the Avs and Wild are slowly growing as contending teams. To do that, we need to score goals, and after losing Kesler and Garrison, while not really grabbing any of the top-end UFA forwards, where are our goals going to come from?

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Sbisa - Corrado

Stanton/Weber

These are fairly realistic estimates based on age and how well the player did last season. What do you guys think?

Henrik = 13G

Jensen = 16G (very optimistic but if he's a mainstay the Sedins will make him a scorer)

Kassian = 26G (will get some Sedin time, had 14G last season thrown all around the roster)

Bonino = 20G (going to get bigger minutes than the 2nd/3rd line center role last year where he scored 22)

Matthias = 16G (deserves the 3C spot and showed he was better later in the season)

Burrows = 12G (getting older and looked horrible last season, as well as at the world cup)

Dorsett = 7G

Archibald = 0G

Edler = 8G (might score 40 points if he's lucky to bounce back, but will get lots of PP time with Garrison gone)

Hamhuis = 6G

Bieksa = 6G

Tanev = 7G (showed some promise last season offensively, will get PP time with Garrison's loss)

Sbisa = 3G

Stanton = 1G

Weber = 3G

Total = 227 goals

Now considering the Kings, Wild, Red Wings, Rangers and Canadiens all scored less than 227 goals last year but were for the most part the most successful playoff teams, these Canucks aren't too far off. Obviously Kesler's loss was a big one but we've got some guys who can still score 15-20 goals which is all we really need. This is assuming that Kassian, Daniel and Jensen all have big 20-goal seasons which is really what the year is resting on.

Edit.. It posted the quote before I could add my reply... Lol stupid phone.

Top line will bounce back and I don't think Jensen will be in it.

Kassian will have a huge year. 20 goals 40+ assists?

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Sbisa - Corrado

Stanton/Weber

Henrik = 13G

Dorsett = 7G

Archibald = 0G

Hamhuis = 6G

Bieksa = 6G

Sbisa = 3G

Stanton = 1G

Weber = 3G

Total = 227 goals

Heres a better prediction

Daniel 31

Henrik 13

Jensen 26

Kassian 21

Boneno 22

Vey 17

Matthias 13

Hhansen or Higgins 15 the other will be traded

Burrows 16

Horvat 16

Richardson 9

Doorset 6

Sesito 3

Edler 10

Hamuis 10

Bieksa 9

Tanev

Stanton 7

Sbisa 4

Corrodo 2

With a coach that knows how to run an offensive system and a healthy roster I think our numbers improve.

Danny - 28

Burrows - 24

Kassian - 18

Bonino - 17

Hansen - 18

Henrik - 12

Higgins - 15

Matthias - 13

Edler - 13

Bieksa - 7

Hamhuis - 4

Tanev - 4

Sbisa - 3

Stanton - 2

Ultimately i think it will be our goals against that will define how good we are, but i think we will have some good surprises from our forwards and how much they score, Burrows was injured 75% of last season (not exactly sure of his status now) but i think he will bring the biggest surprise if he stays healthy this season. But im not going to expect much from the defence unless we get at least 2 defensemen that can score at least 10-15 goals. Im hoping that the nucks defence can surprise me and step up in the goals forward department

I really think there are too many "IF" factors to get an idea of how many goals we are going to score. Kesler was our only 20+ goal scorer last year, and he's out. But there is potential already with the players on our roster for multiple 20+ goal players. Just too many question marks.

Kassian: IF he can break out and gets the opportunity to use his skill set instead of having to play the grinder role.

Daniel: IF he can regain the scoring touch he has had in previous years, but he's not getting any younger.

Burrows: after last season, everything is up in the air with him. Who knows how many he'll be able to put up.

Higgins: doubtful, but other off-season moves might see him with some new linemates. You never know.

Bonino: could put up 20+. Depends on whether or not he keeps trending upwards, or if last year was a one-off

Less realisticaly:

Jensen: as much as I'd love a 20+ goal year out of him, I just don't see it happening. Would love to be proved wrong.

This is where signing a player like Radim Vrbata could be really useful. The guy has basically been a lock for around 20 goals a year over his last 5 signings. Would be a nice short-term fix to give us a boost in goal scoring.

Also, it will be curious to see if the Sedins will produce more with less ice time this year. In my opinion, they were over-worked last season. I think their numbers will be better this year

With a coach that knows how to run an offensive system and a healthy roster I think our numbers improve.

Danny - 28

Burrows - 24

Kassian - 18

Bonino - 17

Hansen - 18

Henrik - 12

Higgins - 15

Matthias - 13

Edler - 13

Bieksa - 7

Hamhuis - 4

Tanev - 4

Sbisa - 3

Stanton - 2

that doesn't seem like a huge improvement other then burrows?

Archived