The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

No More Free Agent Signings! Bring on the Kids!

scarecrowtruth

I'm tired of reading posts here from fans who want the likes of Iginla and Vrbata. I'm also getting tired of management signing these sorts of players and taking jobs away from prospects who need (if not deserve) a shot at the NHL level. There's player development and then there's treating a player like a bust. At some point, either the likes of Horvat, Gaunce, Jensen and Shink are NHL ready or they're going to get lost in the minors. Patience is one thing, but at some point the plan of signing 30+ year old vets is getting old. We have to start showing some faith in our 20+ year old prospects (and even some younger ones).

I'm not suggesting we rush anyone. There's a happy medium between rushing a guy like Virtanen and sitting on guys like Bo and Hunter. If we're going to have a, say, 4 year plan before we can legitimately make a run, we should get the show on the road and give these guys who are going to get us there some NHL experience, even if it costs us the season.

I do NOT suggest we tank the season in order to get a high draft pick. But I do think we need to throw caution to the wind SOMEWHAT and be willing to have some short term pain for long term gain. At the very least, give our top prospects from '11-'13 some 10 games of NHL experience and if they are REALLY floundering, send them down. What's the point of getting a guy like Ryan Miller to bail out some rookie mistakes if we're not allowing these rookies to make mistakes at the NHL level?

We have a goalie that can keep us in games, now let's let him do the job he was hired for and bring in some of our top prospects. Worst case, give Horvat, Shink, Jensen and/or Gaunce a good 10 regular season games, expecting them to struggle at first and show some patience with them. Why on earth would we bring in a star goalie while we're rebuilding if not to bail these guys out? Thoughts?

Agreed. We have to give our prospects a chance to make the big leagues. But at the same time, we don't want them to develop in a losing environment (e.g. Edmonton) it might not be a terrible idea to get some veterans here. At worst we could trade them away at the deadline for picks/prospects to bubble playoff teams.

All the kids besides Jensen arn't ready for the NHL. He's had the AHL/NHL experience and is ready to steup up his pro game. IMO the other kids need to work on their pro game in the AHL first- log lot's of mins in a variety of situations. Plus it allows for more physical maturity which makes a huge difference

lets fill our current roster holes with prospects and see what it looks like.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Burrows - Horvat - Jensen

Higgins - Bonino - Vey

Dorsett - Matthias - Hansen

Richardson, Sestito

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Tanev

Stanton - Sbisa

Weber

Miller

Lack

I like it tbh.

It's pretty interchangable and different prospects could outperform and take spots but that's just a rough idea

I'm tired of reading posts here from fans who want the likes of Iginla and Vrbata. I'm also getting tired of management signing these sorts of players and taking jobs away from prospects who need (if not deserve) a shot at the NHL level. There's player development and then there's treating a player like a bust. At some point, either the likes of Horvat, Gaunce, Jensen and Shink are NHL ready or they're going to get lost in the minors. Patience is one thing, but at some point the plan of signing 30+ year old vets is getting old. We have to start showing some faith in our 20+ year old prospects (and even some younger ones).

Of the four players you mentioned, three haven't even played in the minors yet. The only one who has is Jensen, and it's a given that he'll be playing in the NHL this year unless he has a really poor camp.

I'm not suggesting we rush anyone.

Yes you are. Prospects should only be given a spot on the roster if they flat out beat one of the veterans for a spot in training camp. This way, they earn it, instead of being spoonfed playing time, and it sets a precedent moving forward that hard work will be rewarded. That is how you develop prospects.

Agreed. We have to give our prospects a chance to make the big leagues. But at the same time, we don't want them to develop in a losing environment (e.g. Edmonton) it might not be a terrible idea to get some veterans here. At worst we could trade them away at the deadline for picks/prospects to bubble playoff teams.

Good point. I stand corrected.

Of the four players you mentioned, three haven't even played in the minors yet. The only one who has is Jensen, and it's a given that he'll be playing in the NHL this year unless he has a really poor camp.

Yes you are. Prospects should only be given a spot on the roster if they flat out beat one of the veterans for a spot in training camp. This way, they earn it, instead of being spoonfed playing time, and it sets a precedent moving forward that hard work will be rewarded. That is how you develop prospects.

Perhaps, but I also said we give these guys 10 games and if it doesn't work, we can send them back down. Thanks for your comment though. Good points!

It has a little to do with ceiling as well. I agree with the poster in that veterans can always look a little better the rookies but their ceiling is more or less a known comodity. With the kids we will never know unless they are given a chance over some time. 10 games really isnt enough. I would love to see what gaunce, shink, horvat can do provided they are healthy and ready (shink coming off injury is slight??)

Agree with much of what you've said, but think that this will happen next year.

The eligible prospects will go to Utica and develop (physically&mentally) their game. They will get opportunities to play in Van during the season.

Horvat should be given his 10 games, but if he isn't good enough; should be sent back to jrs. He'll make the team next year.

I can see Benning watching how the prospects perform during the year and if they are playing well, he will probably move a couple of vets at trade deadline (for picks).

They should make every attempt to have two of our prospects make it onto the roster this year.

Most likely are: Horvat, Gaunce, Lain, Archibald, Jensen

I do suspect the reason they got Vey is that they aren't really confident that our guys are ready.

Good point, but in fairness, we all have a right to question management decisions since we pay for tickets and merchandise.

What makes you think that? You bought a Canucks hat? Attended a few games?

We aren't entitled to trasparency in my opinion. You can offer opinions all you like but demanding the team mananges the way you want them to because you threw some money their way, is a little crazy.

They likely have a directive from ownership to make the playoffs; the sooner the better. It's not all about pleasing the fans. You also have to please the guy who signs your paycheques.

Sportsnet.ca tracker reports that they've signed three players: Centers Dustin Jeffrey and Cal O'Reilly, and D-man Bobby Sanguinetti.

Also, D-man Alex Biega.

Looks to me like they're adding a little depth instead of going for the big score.

Maybe smart thing to do.

Get Tanev and Kassian signed, and save some cap space for down the road once there's a good feel for how things are going to develop under the new coach with both prospects and current veterans.

Well we are in the West and I don't think I would put young guys like Gaunce, Shinkaruk and Horvat in the team a) that is only just getting to know each other in 3 or 4 cases and B) when they haven't even got their feet wet in the Comets team.

Add to that we have our core/team adjusting to new coaches, do we want to saddle our core with baby sitting while they themselves in most cases are picking themselves up off the floor from last season and are about to be exposed to a new coach.

It doesn't make sense.

By all means have Jensen in from the start, he was starting to show near the end of last season but lets let the others find their feet in the AHL at least for half a season.

After signing Miller, do the Nucks really have enough bank to sign big time free agents? Are there any left anyway? Does anyone really consider someone like Penner to be a premier player? I don't. Throwing $$$ at free agents is something Toronto does. Play the dudes you have and see if you have a diamond, eh?

Archived