The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Transition Year = Develop Players

Jiggs50

There is a ton of uncertainty with this team going forward. Lots of questions around the twins bouncing back, Burrows, Edler, Bonino progressing etc etc.

I feel like it's a transition year. We could end up in the playoffs around the 6-8 spots or near the bottom of the conference. Again a lot of unknowns.

Imo this year should be used to develop our younger players. Whether that be Bonino, Vey and Kassian in the nhl or Jensen, Fox, Gaunce, Corrado, Grenier in the ahl. Jensen could probably make the jump and that would be great, but I'd rather he dominate at the ahl level for a year with the rest of the guys.

What do guys think? Should we let the kids grow together for a year in the ahl? How much of a "transition year" do you feel it is?

It's not like we're icing a whole bunch of rookies at the starting lineup. Kassian, Vey, possibly Jensen and Horvat if they make the team is who we're trying to develop into top 6 players.

This is a transition season and it is sorely needed. The young guys will get a crack at the roster this season to prove there worth. We will see Horvat this season, I also believe Jensen and Vey are full timers, Corrado will crack the roster. Call me crazy, but I have a real good feeling about Kassian having a breakout year and putting the whole Hodgson/Kassian debate to rest. The reality is we will see new faces step forward and the older faces step back.

Agreed. This is certainly going to be a transition season but having said that, playoffs are not entirely out of the question. Kassian really needs to have a breakout year and be given an opportunity to play in the top 6. Jensen and Vey should be on the NHL roster for opening night. Horvat could also crack the lineup if he's put in the work.

I'd say Corrado, Shinkaruk, Gaunce are in the AHL. Can be called up if necessary, but I think a season of playing down there will benefit them greatly. Shinkaruk will probably benefit the most from a year in the AHL. He needs to get used to being thrown around by the big boys for a while, and see how he is following surgery.

I really don't see next year looking all that bad. As it stands with our current players, we could ice a forward lineup that looks something like this:

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Jensen-Bonino-Burrows

Higgins-Horvat-Vey

Dorsett-Richardson-Hansen

And that's without any further off-season moves, although I still feel like there are more moves coming. That lineup doesn't look as bad as many people are making it out to be. With solid defense and goaltending, the playoffs are certainly not out of the question.

Yeah this definitely has the makings of a development year, but I think we could go the way of the Sens that year when their young guns and Craig Anderson play well enough to make the playoffs. We've arguably got a similar makeup, with the vets (Spezza, Alfie, Michalek --> Hank, Danny? Vrbata? Burr?) leading a host of young kids, along with a vet goalie holding the fort.

Guys like Vey (projected as I heard this morning that he would've made the Kings' lineup last season), Bonino (was already the 2nd line center), Kassian (breakout last year) and Jensen (we all saw the clip at which he scored) will probably play important roles as well as they'll have the opportunity to log important minutes this upcoming season, so I think we'll be pleasantly surprised.

I addressed this in my own topic, and thought it might be a good idea to bring up some of these guys who are overagers in juniors but too young for the AHL. At least give them a chance. It's not like we're making a run this year. Let's see what these kids can do. At least bring some excitement to the games.

sedin-sedin-burrows

vrbata-bonino-kassian

Higgins-mathias-vey

hansen-richardson-dorssett

This is what I didn't want. Signings took away roster spots from our prospects. From a team that looked old last doesn't look any younger this year.

Well actually Vrbata is the only old guy added and he is not much older than Kesler.

Vey, Bonino and Dorsett are all under 23.

I do hope Horvat can take a spot away from one of Hansen or Richardson.

4 years ago regular season games were boring cuz we were a playoff lock

1 year go regular season games were exciting cuz we weren't a playoff lock

this year regular season games will be exciting cuz of trying to make the playoffs and seeing how a plethora of young new players will perform.

Just seeing how

Bonino

Kassian

Jensen

Horvat

Vey

Dorsett

Vrbata

Sbisa

Matthias

play, will be exciting in and of itself.

It's going to be a great year seeing what kind of team we have for the next decade.

Well actually Vrbata is the only old guy added and he is not much older than Kesler.

Vey, Bonino and Dorsett are all under 23.

I do hope Horvat can take a spot away from one of Hansen or Richardson.

Bonino and Dorsett turn 27 and 28 this year respectively and I'm not calling them old I just thought this was going to be a transition year where we gave players like Jensen, Horvat and Lack a chance to prove what they have. Instead it looks like they'll be buried behind the Millers and Vrbatas. I don't think Horvat gets a sniff now and Jensen looks to be in a pretty tough spot to make the team as well.

Bonino and Dorsett turn 27 and 28 this year respectively and I'm not calling them old I just thought this was going to be a transition year where we gave players like Jensen, Horvat and Lack a chance to prove what they have. Instead it looks like they'll be buried behind the Millers and Vrbatas. I don't think Horvat gets a sniff now and Jensen looks to be in a pretty tough spot to make the team as well.

Good, I don't want to see Horvat in the nhl until he's 21/22... He's not the next coming of Jesus, he's at worst a 3rd line C and at best a 2nd, let's give him a few years in the ahl first...

Also Lack had a chance and failed after Lu was gone last year

Good, I don't want to see Horvat in the nhl until he's 21/22... He's not the next coming of Jesus, he's at worst a 3rd line C and at best a 2nd, let's give him a few years in the ahl first...

Also Lack had a chance and failed after Lu was gone last year

How did Lack fail?

I actually don't mind what we have for roster spot battles I think our centers are set with Henrik, Bonino, Matthias, and Richardson. Jensen and Vey will be battling it out for the last slot on the team. Vrbata and Burrows will battle for the spot with the Sedins. Kassian,Vey and Jensen will be in a battle for the 2nd line winger spot beside Bonino and burr or Vrbata.

When everything shakes out I think were looking at a lineup like this. which isn't too bad as long as the guys just had an "off year".

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Burrows-Bonino-Kassian

Vey/Jensen-Matthias-Higgins

Hansen-Richardson-Dorsett

Archived