The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kudos to the Sedins

The Honey Badger

After the MG and Torts firing and then the Linden, JB, WD hirings, the canucks have undergone a lot of organizational changes. The team has switched from contending to rebuilding. Rightfully so, some players would want out as they like to win a cup in their playing career.

Kesler has asked for a trade with pretty much a list of one team (no way hawks would get him with those salaries). I'm surprised at the return JB was able to get given what he has to work with.

I'm also quite surprised (and at the same time not) that the Sedins have been VERY quiet through the whole process. We all know that they are at their prime, or even past their prime, and would love to win a Stanley Cup in their career. They deserve to win the cup with their hard work and attitude. However, they don't seem to mind the canucks are entering into a rebuilding phrase, at least they are not openly criticizing or demanding a trade.

I'm quite impressed that the Sedins have not voiced any comments whatsoever regarding this whole organizational changes. They just simply stay quiet and let the new management takes care of the changes. If there is ever a so-called silent leader, they will be it. Kudos to them for not stirring the pot in this sensitive time in Vancouver.

With the management changes and the Sedins' professionalism, hopefully the canucks will once again be a respected team. For their sake, I really hope this rebuild will eventually bring the cup to Vancouver so the Sedins can proudly retire as a canuck.

Go Canucks Go!

persoanlly, If I played in the NHL.. as much as I would like to win a cup, everyone likes to win, but it's still not everything. If I was happy with the team I was playing for and my family was happy where we were I wouldn't feel the need to change all that just to win the cup. I would be happy playing the game I love, in a city I love with my family happily at my side.

I'm just curious why everyone seems to think that all hockey players just want to win a Cup? While that is the ultimate end goal, most players barely get a sniff at even playing in a SC Final. It would seem more logical that most players are happy with making millions of dollars and affording themselves and their family an above average life. Winning the Stanley Cup is just the cherry on top.

Well said. The Sedins are amazing hockey players but they are even better people. They contribute so much to the community and they act with integrity wherever they go. It's sad to see how people constantly hate on the Sedins and call them "sisters", "whiners", "losers", etc.

What's even more sad is that some so-called Vancouver fans (as seen in the previous comments) believe that the Sedins should get no credit for acting classy while the team is going through tough times because they are getting paid. Money isn't everything. They are humans too. I for one am glad and super thankful the Sedins (along with Bieksa, Burrows and Hamhuis) are sticking around the team even when the ship is sinking.

I think it's great for them to stay here and they are surely going to retire as Canucks. They are two of the best people to ever play for the Canucks and our organization is lucky to have them here. I'm excited to see them take on a mentoring role with our young prospects and hope that the next generation of Canucks can learn from the Sedins, both on-ice and off-ice.

I'm just curious why everyone seems to think that all hockey players just want to win a Cup? While that is the ultimate end goal, most players barely get a sniff at even playing in a SC Final. It would seem more logical that most players are happy with making millions of dollars and affording themselves and their family an above average life. Winning the Stanley Cup is just the cherry on top.

Great post, but this is basically the difference between a job and a career.

People with jobs would love to make a lot of money and afford a great life for their family. Fantastic dream and ambition to have.

But those with careers have a burning desire to be the very best at what they do.

So any criticism the Sedins take for not wanting the Cup bad enough is that they see them as just in it for the job. The money. To provide a great life for their family. Nothing wrong with that at all.

It's just a different level of respect given to those who have that need to bring a Cup home to say they've made it.

True, but we see over and over again players asked to be traded to a contender or take a paycut to join a contender: Ray Bourque to the Avs, Marian Hossa to the pens/hawks, iginla going to bruins/avs, brad richards signed with hawks today, kesler traded to the ducks, i would say spezza to stars fall into same category.. the list goes on and on.

For the sedins to see the buildout of the canucks through the wce days, finally to the finals and recent collapse. These players know how painful a rebuild is. Quite frankly, many don't want to stay for it. Although they make millions of dollars, they are also very competitive guys. I can imagine that it is tough for any other players to sit through it. Unless I hear otherwise, it seems that requesting a trade has never crossed the Sedins' mind and they wish to stay with the team.

Their loyalty is often overlooked and under-appreciate by many, which I think it's quite a shame. Many canucks fans won't know what they miss until they finally leave the canucks organization.

The Sedins are getting paid for next 4 years and not going anywhere unless they say so. I'd be quiet and sip my cocktails on the beach too.

Unless their contracts are bought out, they will make the same regardless playing for the canucks or any other teams, so if they don't want to stay on a sinking ship, all they need to do is march up to JB's office and demand a trade, just like kesler.

The sedins are more Vancouverites than some people that lived here all their lives.

They bleed blue and love the city. They aren't traitors. They'll bounce back and be elite again.

I'm not one of those.

I'm one of those that thinks the number one thing players want is money.

I think the Sedins only want a cup if it's won in Vancouver. They don't seem to be the kind of people who would want to move their entire family to a new city just for a chance to win the cup with a bunch of guys they dont even know. That being said, it would be basically impossible to trade them to a contender anyways.

I'm not surprised in the slightest.

Sedin says that Vigneault was the problem, Vigneault gets shipped out

Sedin says that Luongo was the problem, Luongo gets shipped out.

Sedin says that Torts was the problem, Torts gets shipped out.

Sedin says that Gillis was the problem, Gillis gets shipped out.

Sedin says that Kesler is the problem, Kesler gets shipped out.

Gosh I wonder how that's going to make the team better.

The Canucks are family to the Sedins. Lots of players end up wanting to retire on the team that drafted them and that they have spent their entire career with. They are extremely involved in the community , their families love it here so perhaps that holds alot of weight with them. I don't know why people would think they aren't interested in winning the Cup they were crushed when you saw them in interviews after the game 7 loss in the SCF 2011. If they never win a Cup here then it is likely that they mentor the next leaders of this team and could have a hand in shaping the team that DOES win a Cup in this city. They are the vets on this team that I would most want to mentor the young guys coming up, true class and loyalty.

I know without a doubt once the Sedins retire, many of us fans will be looking back and remembering the amazing years that they brought an entertaining game to this team like we do now when thinking about the WCE years.

Are you psychic or have a spy inside the room? No way do I believe H Sedin would complain like that about teammates/coaches he sticks up for guys even when they don't deserve it. You are giving the guy a lot of power, somehow I think the GM was the one deciding who stays and goes.

Av was a great coach but it WAS time for him to go

The goalie drama WAS a problem and Luongo wanted out

Torts WAS the problem

Gillis was given a chance to win a Cup, failed, and was heading downhill with the way he was building this team for the future.

Kesler 's attitude WAS a distraction to the team and he chose to leave.

Hilarious!

Do you wait and pick your info out of the toilet or do you get too anxious and actually reach up your as* to pull it out?

great post. I have always been a fan of the twins and it pianed me to see them have an off year last season. I am really rooting for daniel to refind his game and have henrick bounce back. One thing fairweather fans seem to forget is under torts the twins stopped taking majority of there faceoffs in the o zone they were forced to kill penaltys and block shots not to mention they had a revolving door of wingers anda hurt burrows for 3rd of the season. as im typing this just heard we signed verbata so lets hope he plays well weith the twins. At the end of the day i hope the twins retire here these guys have been with us since they were fresh faced kids and a lot of us who are the same age as them have grown up along with these guys they are like extended family who have donated millions of dollars to our beautiful city, and put up with so much shit over the years yet never complained. they have constantly taken pay cuts to keep this team competitive and im glad mg gave them there due before his ass got canned.

Archived